Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Like 3 of my friends think cardiology is just focusing on like jogging and stuff because like people use the terM "Im going to work cardio" first thing comes to mind is like working out your legs so thats where I found it kinda funny. Bad joke, I see the flaw I made lol - they're not pre-med so its just funny to see people agree to me when I bs

Members don't see this ad.

It's not an uninformed quote, but IMO an overinformed one. I work in the ED and had a high school volunteer recently ask me what my LizzyM number was. I wanted to grab his face and shake it like Adam Sandler does to the little chubby school child in Billy Madison.

Reactions: 1 user
yn1LW.png

Members don't see this ad :)
I blame this on the proliferation of allied health personnel usurping the phrase medical school to describe their 1 year tech program at podunk community college.

Also, the number of folks actually going to a medical school is much smaller than this population so most people don't meet too many medical students. They meet/hear about far more student nurses, rad techs, lab techs, CNA's, physician assistants, etc.

I think it's the girl thing as well. Despite the fact that we make up pretty much half of the medical school population (at least at my school we do), the stereotypes still linger (even on this board, lol, as the default gender assumed is male). I went to the dentist the other day and I was studying my Netter's cards in the exam room while waiting (had a test the next day). He asked me if I was in Nursing school.

A lot of it is that people don't have time to explain the differences anyway...it makes me super uncomfortable, but at work I basically get introduced as a med student all the time (I'm not, I'm just a scribe) because the doctor has to introduce me, but doesn't want to bother explaining what a scribe is. So it's usually "she's going to be a doctor someday" or "she's studying to be a doctor" or (and this is my personal favorite) "she's a future doctor-in-training"...which works fine in text, but you can't hear the hyphens in real life. And then all of the patients refer to me as a medical student from that point forward and I feel REALLY awkward for some reason. :shrug:

A lot of it is that people don't have time to explain the differences anyway...it makes me super uncomfortable, but at work I basically get introduced as a med student all the time (I'm not, I'm just a scribe) because the doctor has to introduce me, but doesn't want to bother explaining what a scribe is. So it's usually "she's going to be a doctor someday" or "she's studying to be a doctor" or (and this is my personal favorite) "she's a future doctor-in-training"...which works fine in text, but you can't hear the hyphens in real life. And then all of the patients refer to me as a medical student from that point forward and I feel REALLY awkward for some reason. :shrug:

Happened to me when I shadowed. I agree, it is definitely awkward lol.

Why isn't dentistry a medical specialty? Seems like it's "more medical" than dermatology or pathology or even anesthesiology. Come at me bro

Politics and money. The American Dental Association has no incentive to join the American Medical Association. As far as I know there is a wide gap between the level of compensation a dentist receives for serving a primary care role in health treatment in comparison to a physician. Therefore resulting in a movement of doctors away from primary care and into a more hospitalized/specialized setting. And the reason why primary care is struggling is again due to politics and the current HMO billing practice.

Haha I work in a hospital and get introduced like that all the time too.

Tangent, but that's interesting how differently your doctors introduce you than me!! I'm a scribe too, and I usually get introduced with:
"This is my assistant"
"This is my scribe"
Or my favorite, "this is sunflower and she types stuff"

I think maybe I don't get the med student thing because I work at a private hospital without residents or students. Sorry for the tangent!

I blame this on the proliferation of allied health personnel usurping the phrase medical school to describe their 1 year tech program at podunk community college.

Also, the number of folks actually going to a medical school is much smaller than this population so most people don't meet too many medical students. They meet/hear about far more student nurses, rad techs, lab techs, CNA's, physician assistants, etc.

I think it's the girl thing as well. Despite the fact that we make up pretty much half of the medical school population (at least at my school we do), the stereotypes still linger (even on this board, lol, as the default gender assumed is male). I went to the dentist the other day and I was studying my Netter's cards in the exam room while waiting (had a test the next day). He asked me if I was in Nursing school.

A friend keeps telling me that I'm going to loooove medical school because she had such a great time at medical school. She's super sweet and genuinely supportive. She also happens to be an LPN.

A friend keeps telling me that I'm going to loooove medical school because she had such a great time at medical school. She's super sweet and genuinely supportive. She also happens to be an LPN.

*eye twitch*

Why isn't dentistry a medical specialty? Seems like it's "more medical" than dermatology or pathology or even anesthesiology

Come at me bro

Same reason osteopathy isn't in MD schools. They started separate and the powers that be have no interest in joining them.

The powers that be in the DO world are also way out of touch with their constituency, for the record.

Members don't see this ad :)
As to the 1-year program:

My husband: My wife is going to med school

Anyone: Oh, how nice, a Ph.D. What is she getting it in?

My husband: No, med school.

Anyone: She's going to be a nurse?

Anyone: But what is she getting her Ph.D. in?

My husband: She is becoming a DOCTOR!

Anyone: Well, yeah, but what is her thesis on?

My husband: No, a MEDICAL DOCTOR!

Anyone: Public Health?

This becomes a very protracted "who's on first" most of the time.....Why is it inconceivable that I would go into medicine???? No gender bias....AT ALL.....

This becomes a very protracted "who's on first" most of the time.....Why is it inconceivable that I would go into medicine???? No gender bias....AT ALL.....

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

I would just have him stop telling people

Like 3 of my friends think cardiology is just focusing on like jogging and stuff because like people use the terM "Im going to work cardio" first thing comes to mind is like working out your legs so thats where I found it kinda funny. Bad joke, I see the flaw I made lol - they're not pre-med so its just funny to see people agree to me when I bs

You typed it as if you were the one making the stupid/annoying/pressing comments trying to get your friend to look dumb.

This persists into medical school for some people, too. My preceptor introduces me as Dr. Guero to all of his pts. You can imagine the awkwardness when he steps out and the pts ask me for a second opinion. :/

This persists into medical school for some people, too. My preceptor introduces me as Dr. Guero to all of his pts. You can imagine the awkwardness when he steps out and the pts ask me for a second opinion. :/

My shadowing docs introduced me as "observing medical student"...they said that as I wasn't going to touch anyone or answer medical questions the fact that I was premed would be irrelevant

xfann624 said:

I'd like to clear your misconception that some of the more rigorous health science students make pretty good distinction between different disciplines, especially at top schools. I have never heard someone say that they are in 'medical school' if they are becoming a technologist/nurse/scientist at the end of the day. You make it seem that these disciplines are desperate to look as if they are doing some form of doctor training...in fact it never crossed their mind even if their first 2 years are identical to med school. But you probably wouldn't understand, guess you need to go through 1 week of each of these programs to understand how buried the people get into their specific discipline. Plus, most of these people are undergraduates and not students that have their bachelors and are going into a graduate program. I think what you are referring to only happens are your school...but where I am at, it's only the people that are not doing our programs that get a misconception or people who are hospital employees. I have gone out of the way to clarify what I am doing because I know the fine line.

Also, you might not have had the time to think about it but the dentist and other business folks always start with professions that take less training first to identify people; they don't make educated guesses based on what you generally say or do. It is your job to clarify because they don't want to throw a costumer off by saying something improper. They know how to approach people and this is how they start out making a conversation. You should be impressed at how nice the person was and how well of a people person they were.

Why isn't dentistry a medical specialty? Seems like it's "more medical" than dermatology or pathology or even anesthesiology

Come at me bro

You're surely trolling, but anyone who would make that comment sincerely clearly knows nothing about dermatology, pathology, or anesthesiology.

I'd like to clear your misconception that some of the more rigorous health science students make pretty good distinction between different disciplines, especially at top schools. I have never heard someone say that they are in 'medical school' if they are becoming a technologist/nurse/scientist at the end of the day.

I have

Yeah I've heard it multiple times.

I guess it is their right though, since all them fields besides nursing do fall under the 'school of medicine'....They also do case studies, have tests every week, have labs and lecture every week, classes begin at 8 am everyday. But they will never say that they are medical students. It's almost like saying "I attend the school of public health" and you're going into an engineering field that is relevant to public health. Or that "I am in the college of arts and science" and there are people doing history/chemistry/bioethics/personalized-degree.Of all the schools that make sense to me to be bunched up according to concentration would probably be the 'school of medicine'. I think people forget that it's not just an allopathic school but a lot more. Teamwork is a huge factor in a hospital, you might as well be grouped into one school because of similar material presented. But again, there is a fine line, and no one will plain out say that they are this or that if they really aren't. That my friends would be lying. :cool:

I guess it is their right though, since all them fields besides nursing do fall under the 'school of medicine'....They also do case studies, have tests every week, have labs and lecture every week, classes begin at 8 am everyday. But they will never say that they are medical students. It's almost like saying "I attend the school of public health" and you're going into an engineering field that is relevant to public health. Or that "I am in the college of arts and science" and there are people doing history/chemistry/bioethics/personalized-degree.Of all the schools that make sense to me to be bunched up according to concentration would probably be the 'school of medicine'. I think people forget that it's not just an allopathic school but a lot more. Teamwork is a huge factor in a hospital, you might as well be grouped into one school because of similar material presented. But again, there is a fine line, and no one will plain out say that they are this or that if they really aren't. That my friends would be lying. :cool:

Engineering field relevant to public health? :confused: I don't think there is an engineering program in the country that is housed under a school of public health...they are most certainly under the "college of engineering" or "school of engineering"...

um go check out environmental engineering (applied science)

um go check out environmental engineering (applied science)

.....my younger brother has a degree in environmental engineering....it's an ENGINEERING degree...it has as much to do with public health as sustainable agriculture...you're really reaching, bro

Your username "bobo" is fitting :laugh:

Your username "bobo" is fitting :laugh:

Spanish ftw ^^

Yeah I thought environmental engineering was like designing reservoirs and more practical ways to get rid of wastes? I can kind of see how it ties in, but it's a stretch. We don't say that aeronautical engineers are part of public health because they make planes safer.

I kind of feel sad that you're making your own fool on the forum and my username has nothing to do with the arguments I make with due respect...1st amendment -> freedom of speech dude; I can choose whatever I want to call myself...this is not facebook.

If you have google (and I mean this in the most sarcastic way possible) go check out the top 5 schools for public health and see that one or more will have environmental engineering under their curriculum. Why? Because they don't have an engineering school or that they are specializing it under public health. Plus, if it was a stretch there wouldn't be funding for it. It is very much relevant to the public health. Unlike the one stationed in the 'engineering' department, those students take some courses in conjunction with other public heath majors. Also there are 3 types of biostatistics majors...one in mathematics department, one under biology, and one under public health. You want variety and more specifics, I will provide them.

Anyhow, my point was that an egotistical remark was made in the forum b/c people felt that med students get bunched up with all the other school of medicine specialties and it needs to be cleared up. That's all. All my prior posts have not been troll-style..so you should note that my comments are made with respect to all posters and the wider medical community. :)

I kind of feel sad that you're making your own fool on the forum and my username has nothing to do with the arguments I make with due respect...1st amendment -> freedom of speech dude; I can choose whatever I want to call myself...this is not facebook.

If you have google (and I mean this in the most sarcastic way possible) go check out the top 5 schools for public health and see that one or more will have environmental engineering under their curriculum. Why? Because they don't have an engineering school or that they are specializing it under public health. Plus, if it was a stretch there wouldn't be funding for it. It is very much relevant to the public health. Unlike the one stationed in the 'engineering' department, those students take some courses in conjunction with other public heath majors. Also there are 3 types of biostatistics majors...one in mathematics department, one under biology, and one under public health. You want variety and more specifics, I will provide them.

Anyhow, my point was that an egotistical remark was made in the forum b/c people felt that med students get bunched up with all the other school of medicine specialties and it needs to be cleared up. That's all. All my prior posts have not been troll-style..so you should note that my comments are made with respect to all posters and the wider medical community. :)

Offering classes in environmental engineering ≠ a B.S. in environmental engineering

My engineering department offered a class in physical chemistry but taking it didn't make me a chemistry major...

Your original comment was about a student claiming he was in the school of public health when he was going into an engineering degree relevant to public health (which you say is environmental engineering). The individual who is studying public health and has either a concentration in environmental engineering, or who has taken a couple courses in it, is not an environmental engineer...they are a public health student.

There is a HUGE difference between getting a B.S. in an engineering program and taking a couple of "environmental engineering" courses in public health school.

I know -- I was an engineer.

Offering classes in environmental engineering ≠ a B.S. in environmental engineering

My engineering department offered a class in physical chemistry but taking it didn't make me a chemistry major...

Your original comment was about a student claiming he was in the school of public health when he was going into an engineering degree relevant to public health (which you say is environmental engineering). The individual who is studying public health and has either a concentration in environmental engineering, or who has taken a couple courses in it, is not an environmental engineer...they are a public health student.

There is a HUGE difference between getting a B.S. in an engineering program and taking a couple of "environmental engineering" courses in public health school.

I know -- I was an engineer.

I cosign all this

ChemEngMD said:
I didn't say it was a B.S. in environmental engineering. You would have earned a BSPH if it was under public health. I am assuming you didn't have a school in which this was the case, so I am just disregarding you arguments since they are biased.

wait, what is your point here? That just b/c you took a physical chemistry class that you feel that you can break my argument since clearly you don't get a b.s. in chemistry for it? I took classes past physical chemistry and I don't expect to get a physical chemistry b.s., I happen to know you need to specialize a lot farther. Plus, I know that a chemical engineering degree only scratches the ice from a car shield during the winter when it concern hard-core chemistry. That's why you're under the 'engineering' department and not the 'chemistry' department.

Your original comment was about a student claiming he was in the school of public health when he was going into an engineering degree relevant to public health (which you say is environmental engineering). The individual who is studying public health and has either a concentration in environmental engineering or who has taken a couple courses in it is not an environmental engineer...they are a public health student.
Yea, it is environmental engineering with a public health flavor...if I didn't make it clear in prior posts, then my bad for the confusion. And, it's not just a couple of courses, it is 4 years of studying. You're just down-sizing a degree in which clearly the level of student selection is rigorous and courses are tough.
Plus, you just supported my primary argument with your closing. According to you then, a rad science major under the school of medicine is not a biology student but rather a medical student (of course not in the sense that they are pursuing a graduate degree like doctor of medicine).

Anyways, you bring out some good points, I needed to clear up. This hopefully surmises what I was trying to say. :)

Bobo, I just think you have a misunderstanding of what "engineering" means...a BSPH in "Environmental Health Sciences" such as at UNC is closer to a degree in environmental science than it is to environmental engineering.

Engineering degrees are much more math and design intensive. It's like comparing a Chemist to a Chemical Engineer...yes, they both do chemistry and took a lot of similar courses, but, at the end of the day, their jobs are very different.

A Chemical Engineer couldn't walk into the lab and do half of what a Chemist does and a Chemist couldn't walk into an industrial plant and do half of the design work that a ChemE does.

It never stops amazing me how many people don't understand what medical school means. No its not a tech program or a nursing program. Maybe it's because im a girl?

I think it is as well. :shrug:

Agreed. When I say I want to go to med school people always ask me what that means. I tell them it is "doctor school" and then they get it.

I am glad I am not the only one who gets this. I was afraid people just didn't think of me as "doctor material". I have had numerous conversations like those you mentioned:

Them: So what are you going to school for?
Me: I am just finishing a bachelor's now then I plan on applying to med school
Them: Oh really? What do you want to go into in medicine?
Me: You mean what specialty?
Them: Yeah, like are you going to be a nurse, a physical therapist
Me: ... no I am applying to medical school, I want to be a doctor...

or they'll say: Oh, my (so and so) went to med school and is a practicing nurse now.
Me: ... oh that's nice...

yahoobobo said:
It's almost like saying "I attend the school of public health" and you're going into an engineering field that is relevant to public health.
To begin with, this was what I said...I never said it was a hardcore math science whatever wahooziwhat. Jeesh, can't believe that this statement got so entangled. You're right engineering degree is still very much different than the one presented under public health or another type of school of learning.

My point with all these analogies was that people majoring in health sciences don't get put under biology because their subject is more clinically based which is why it makes perfect sense for them to say they study under the 'school of medicine'.
That's it...I'm sure you worked yourself off with that engineering degree and are proud to have it and so are being critical with my words. There are other forms of the degree you are pursuing but they are completely different and each person in their respective degree will be just as thorough in making a distinction as you are. They will not get a degree under 'school of engineering' but of another type of school and everyone will know what type of engineer they are or whatever specialty it may be.

Yeah. Def a girl thing

It happens to me too but that may be due to my outer appearance (i.e. my complexion, style of dress, accent, and use of slang terminology in regular conversation lol)

It happens to me too but that may be due to my outer appearance (i.e. my complexion, style of dress, accent, and use of slang terminology in regular conversation lol)

Yeah. Yay for prejudice. :rolleyes:

People I work with always ask my opinion on medical things because I am premed. I try to explain to them that of all the preprofessional health students pre-meds probably know the least about medicine before getting into their programs. I mean at my school the prenursing students have to take anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, nutrition, medical microbiology and abnormal psych. I explain that premeds have to take intense science courses but they are in physics, chemistry, organic chemistry, biology and anatomy and physiology are optional. They never listen though.

I believe the point of Bobo's original comment was that at many schools, the "School of Medicine" offers more than just the MD program. There are often other departments for allied health fields or PA programs, etc. So although those programs are technically in the School of Medicine, those students wouldn't identify themselves as "medical students" even though their department/program falls under the school of medicine.
anyyywayy back to funny things, right?!

Status
Not open for further replies.