Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But...after M4 you are in Post Grad Year 1, even if you're not in the program you will be working at for most of that year. Whereas after graduation, you are not yet in med school.
So that particular one is more like someone saying, the day after their wedding, that they are in their first year of marriage...it is true, even if it's not as precise as "recently married" or "recently graduated".
 
I keep hoping someone will bring this back to something someone said that's actually funny.. But since that doesn't seem to be happening, did anyone watch Biggest Loser the season Dolvett (sp?) started? In his intro it says "I was a pre-med" like it was something everyone should respect him for. It made me want to throw the tv across the room. I was actually embarrassed for him, even though I liked him.
 
Okay something kind of funny and uninformed:

Girl 1 in library: Yeah, I'm taking chem so I can take the MCATs next year.
Girl 2: Oh my gosh! You are going to go to medical school? Where are you gonna go?
Girl 1: I think I'll apply to every school in the US. There are only 60 so it's really easy to apply to all of them. But if I don't get in, medical schools in other countries will take me no matter what.
Girl 2: Oh my gosh, so you can go to school abroad? That's so cool!
Girl 1: I know, it's awesome. I'm so lucky.

She seemed nice enough though! So I hope she learns not to apply abroad.. And that there are more than 60 US med schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I accept your apology.

Haha...ok. Didn't realize I offended you. :naughty:

LaPresse you aren't doing too well with the residents. This is the second one!

The other is well...opinionated and only pops up in certain threads. :uhno:

make that three.. i dont like him either !!

I see what you did there. 😱 🙁

Make that 3.5

umadbro.jpg

I love everyone on SDN, despite what I might say sometimes. 😍
 
But...after M4 you are in Post Grad Year 1, even if you're not in the program you will be working at for most of that year. Whereas after graduation, you are not yet in med school.
So that particular one is more like someone saying, the day after their wedding, that they are in their first year of marriage...it is true, even if it's not as precise as "recently married" or "recently graduated".

Not necessarily. You could go into a transitional year, so you don't get the fancy PGY.
 

That is so uncanny and unorthodox, but I relent. :uhno:

Is that the only school, chief? Seems pretty useless if one does not get into anywhere. :meanie:


I think there are a couple of othe schools that offer that major. I do think that a bachelors in Premedicine sounds ridiculous if you don't end up going to med school. Anytime that person is asked, "what did you major in college?", the person has to say, "premedicine," and the takeaway would be, "hmmm, wasn't smart enough to go to med school."

Why not call it something like, Health Sciences? It could include predental, prevet, prePT, etc, tracks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you clarify so that we're all on the same page? Thanks.

Sure, sorry about that.

There are two (sort of three) main types of intern years available for people doing Derm/Radiology/Ophtho/RadOnc/etc. Prelim medicine (academic and community) and Transitional Years.

I've actually linked to a thread I made below that explains it, and I'll copy and past one of my posts for all to read here since it explains is. Basically, TYs are more competitive, much less awful alternatives to Prelim Medicine. Both are PGY-1 programs.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=952623

If you apply for any of the specialties above (plus others like Anesthesiology), you have to apply separately for your intern year program (except for some programs in your given specialty which have an intern year linked to that given hospital). In other words, the majority of people applying to Rads/Derm/RadOnc/etc will end up with two match results listed on their piece of paper in the envelope on match day: Intern Year and Advanced Program (the specialty you chose).

That said, you have two choices for this intern year. Actually, you sort of have three.

1. Academic Prelim Medicine - this is a classic "Medicine intern year" and you will work alongside all the Internal Medicine interns (people who applied to and matched for a 3 year internal medicine residency), and sometimes even being scutted out more than them because the higher-ups know you're only there for one year, and if you're going on to those other competitive specialties you must've done well in med school and are pretty competent (cheap labor). I would list these as a last resort, if at all. The only benefit they have is if you happen not to match into your specialty, at least you're spending a solid year working hard in an academic program and you can either try to weasel yourself into the Internal Medicine residency or at least gain a little cred among specialty program directors when you re-apply for your specialty the following year.

2. Community Prelim Medicine - these programs are found at smaller hospitals that may or may not be "affiliated" with academic institutions/medical schools. They often contain less desirable internal medicine residencies (and you will often find a good number of FMGs there) but they usually have some good teaching and more importantly are usually focused on being more efficient than huge academic centers, so you hopefully don't get stuck rounding from 8am until 5pm deliberating about the 18th most likely cause that the patient's Magnesium dropped from 2.0 to 1.9. Can be hit or miss, but it's still a medicine year and you'll still end up with a ton of medicine months, ICU/CCU month(s), etc. Few electives (maybe a month, more if you're lucky).

3. Transitional Year - Many of these are really nice deals. But be careful, because some "Transitional Year" programs still kinda suck and are as bad as or worse than prelim medicine years. They're usually at small hospitals too, and often in places that aren't particularly high on the list of desirable places to live (often found away from big city areas). But they give you a much more diverse (and laid back) intern year than a year of medicine. You often get anywhere from 3-6 months of electives, maybe a month or two of ED, may or may not have ICU, and only a couple (2-4, often) months of floor medicine (the difficult months). The intensity of the floor medicine months also varies from program to program. Ultimately, these places are very competitive because of how "chill" they usually are, and how much lower stress they are.
 
Sure, sorry about that.

There are two (sort of three) main types of intern years available for people doing Derm/Radiology/Ophtho/RadOnc/etc. Prelim medicine (academic and community) and Transitional Years.

I've actually linked to a thread I made below that explains it, and I'll copy and past one of my posts for all to read here since it explains is. Basically, TYs are more competitive, much less awful alternatives to Prelim Medicine. Both are PGY-1 programs.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=952623


Thanks!
 
Sure, sorry about that.

There are two (sort of three) main types of intern years available for people doing Derm/Radiology/Ophtho/RadOnc/etc. Prelim medicine (academic and community) and Transitional Years.

I've actually linked to a thread I made below that explains it, and I'll copy and past one of my posts for all to read here since it explains is. Basically, TYs are more competitive, much less awful alternatives to Prelim Medicine. Both are PGY-1 programs.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=952623

Thanks! Very informative.
 
Co-Worker: Is it hard to get into medical school?

(Same) Co-Worker: Did you pass your mcat? Are you going to be a doctor now?

She doesn't know it, but, in my imagination I've mentally backhanded her more times than I can count.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally Posted by EarthtoneJon
"I watched some of the questions and answers leading up to that point. The woman on the panel said something along the lines of:

When I see an applicant whose parents were both Ph.Ds, and that applicant only has a 3.5 GPA and 32 MCAT, "I hold it against them." They are underachievers in that demographic pool."



This makes sense to me. My advisor told me even if ONE parent has less than Masters equivalent of education you will score an average of 3 points below peers who have two parents with a masters education or above.
 
This makes sense to me. My advisor told me even if ONE parent has less than Masters equivalent of education you will score an average of 3 points below peers who have two parents with a masters education or above.
See, while there may be some correlation with groups, you can't just take that and make a conclusion about an individual. What if his parents have PhD degrees but were estranged from his life? What if the student has a learning disability? Does the stereotype apply to parents with Sociology PhD degrees if the student is studying Electrical Engineering at MIT?
 
See, while there may be some correlation with groups, you can't just take that and make a conclusion about an individual. What if his parents have PhD degrees but were estranged from his life? What if the student has a learning disability? Does the stereotype apply to parents with Sociology PhD degrees if the student is studying Electrical Engineering at MIT?

I suggest you go to an elementary school (even first grade) and see the difference in abilities of the children. My fiancée is a teacher and I help out sometimes. The students with high school drop out parents can't even write their name or count to 20 without having problems. The kids with parents that have a masters or Ph.D are reading at a 5th grade level as a 1st grader.

There is definitely a strong correlation and that is why I can see the justification for the adcom's views. You may think it sucks since you came from the luckier background, but I don't. Get everyone on a level playing field (medical school) and the disadvantaged people will rise. This doesn't necessarily happen in college because the disadvantaged people have to work multiple jobs while taking classes and the privileged don't always have to. Tell me, who of those two is more likely to have a higher GPA and MCAT?
 
I suggest you go to an elementary school (even first grade) and see the difference in abilities of the children. My fiancée is a teacher and I help out sometimes. The students with high school drop out parents can't even write their name or count to 20 without having problems. The kids with parents that have a masters or Ph.D are reading at a 5th grade level as a 1st grader.

There is definitely a strong correlation and that is why I can see the justification for the adcom's views. You may think it sucks since you came from the luckier background, but I don't. Get everyone on a level playing field (medical school) and the disadvantaged people will rise. This doesn't necessarily happen in college because the disadvantaged people have to work multiple jobs while taking classes and the privileged don't always have to. Tell me, who of those two is more likely to have a higher GPA and MCAT?

This is the truth, and I don't think that you can honestly understand unless you have that disadvantage.

Conversely, I do not claim to know the obstacles of the advantaged.
 
I suggest you go to an elementary school (even first grade) and see the difference in abilities of the children. My fiancée is a teacher and I help out sometimes. The students with high school drop out parents can't even write their name or count to 20 without having problems. The kids with parents that have a masters or Ph.D are reading at a 5th grade level as a 1st grader.

There is definitely a strong correlation and that is why I can see the justification for the adcom's views. You may think it sucks since you came from the luckier background, but I don't. Get everyone on a level playing field (medical school) and the disadvantaged people will rise. This doesn't necessarily happen in college because the disadvantaged people have to work multiple jobs while taking classes and the privileged don't always have to. Tell me, who of those two is more likely to have a higher GPA and MCAT?
Great argument so long as you resist generalizing and accept that there are many exceptions.
 
Great argument so long as you resist generalizing and accept that there are many exceptions.

There are exceptions to everything. However, it is hard to argue against it when you look up the average income (or level of education) of parents of medical school students.
 
There are exceptions to everything. However, it is hard to argue against it when you look up the average income (or level of education) of parents of medical school students.
I'm just not a fan of generalizations, be they rooted in racism, sexism, ageism, sizeism, classism, ignorance, assumptions etc. I've met exceptions on both sides of the argument: from a disadvantaged kid with immigrant parents that received an elementary school education that managed to have stats worthy of top 10 medical schools, to a kid that had uncaring, uninvolved, unsupportive, but rich and highly educated parents that struggled to attain an acceptable GPA and MCAT score.

Nevertheless, the majority of medical school matriculants are indeed from privileged backgrounds. From my own experience, it was maddening to take classes at Vandy and compete with kids that received prep-school secondary educations that were essentially retaking their premeds because they completed all of them as APs in prep-school. That crap was difficult and frustrating as all heck for me.
 
I suggest you go to an elementary school (even first grade) and see the difference in abilities of the children. My fiancée is a teacher and I help out sometimes. The students with high school drop out parents can't even write their name or count to 20 without having problems. The kids with parents that have a masters or Ph.D are reading at a 5th grade level as a 1st grader.

There is definitely a strong correlation and that is why I can see the justification for the adcom's views. You may think it sucks since you came from the luckier background, but I don't. Get everyone on a level playing field (medical school) and the disadvantaged people will rise. This doesn't necessarily happen in college because the disadvantaged people have to work multiple jobs while taking classes and the privileged don't always have to. Tell me, who of those two is more likely to have a higher GPA and MCAT?

There is no doubt that class characteristics are conserved in progeny. However the question is that if you do this what are the results of doing this? Are we producing better physicians by holding kids with better pedigrees to a higher standard? What exactly is accomplished by doing this?

Also there are obviously many other factors at play here, in which parental education level may be less important in regards to progeny intelligence and success or whatever. But it would be interesting to actually see some statistics here along with some multivariate regressions.
 
There is no doubt that class characteristics are conserved in progeny. However the question is that if you do this what are the results of doing this? Are we producing better physicians by holding kids with better pedigrees to a higher standard? What exactly is accomplished by doing this?

Also there are obviously many other factors at play here, in which parental education level may be less important in regards to progeny intelligence and success or whatever. But it would be interesting to actually see some statistics here along with some multivariate regressions.

Absolutely. I wish someone would actually fund such a study. 😡
 
I suggest you go to an elementary school (even first grade) and see the difference in abilities of the children. My fiancée is a teacher and I help out sometimes. The students with high school drop out parents can't even write their name or count to 20 without having problems. The kids with parents that have a masters or Ph.D are reading at a 5th grade level as a 1st grader.

There is definitely a strong correlation and that is why I can see the justification for the adcom's views. You may think it sucks since you came from the luckier background, but I don't. Get everyone on a level playing field (medical school) and the disadvantaged people will rise. This doesn't necessarily happen in college because the disadvantaged people have to work multiple jobs while taking classes and the privileged don't always have to. Tell me, who of those two is more likely to have a higher GPA and MCAT?

My parents don't have masters degrees, but I was reading and skipping through math problem books when I was 3 or 4. My parents valued education and that's why they made me do these things.

I'd say a parent with a Ph.D is more likely to educate his kid before school, and to ride him hard about his school work when he's young, which is pretty important to the longevity of his academic success. On the flip side, someone who dropped out of high school probably won't value education enough to force it on his kid. So I'd say this makes good sense to me.
 
This is a just a generalization, but, I think that coming from an educationally-disadvantaged family, or just a family where parents don't have anything past a high school diploma (or even less), shows that an applicant has a lot of intrinsic motivation. More than likely they're choosing to go into medicine (and have worked so hard to do so) because they genuinely want to - not because of any external pressures put on them.
 
Great argument so long as you resist generalizing and accept that there are many exceptions.

There are exceptions to everything. However, it is hard to argue against it when you look up the average income (or level of education) of parents of medical school students.


I think the assumption doesn't just deal with how much educated parents are (or are not) "co-teaching" at home. It's an overall atmosphere. Educated parents tend to live in better areas, the students attend better K-12 schools, their neighbors are usually also well educated, the child's friends are also often from educated parents. In other words, the entire world the child comes from is constantly exposing him to better language skills, culture, etc. These kids are often surrounded by good role models, as well.

If a such a child has an exception (came from abusive alcoholic home), then he can address that in his app.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think the assumption doesn't just deal with how much educated parents are (or are not) "co-teaching" at home. It's an overall atmosphere. Educated parents tend to live in better areas, the students attend better K-12 schools, their neighbors are usually also well educated, the child's friends are also often from educated parents. In other words, the entire world the child comes from is constantly exposing him to better language skills, culture, etc. These kids are often surrounded by good role models, as well.

If a such a child has an exception (came from abusive alcoholic home), then he can address that in his app.
Like I said, I get everything involved in making the generalization and the many aspects that contribute to its innate justification, but must stress that there are exceptions. But I just feel compelled to try to dissuade people from making generalizations, no matter the perspective.

Anyhoo, I'm done. I just want to read a funny now. Someone post a funny. *yawn*
 
Absolutely. I wish someone would actually fund such a study. 😡
These aren't the statistics you were asking for, but the aamc publishes info on disadvantaged vs non-disadvantaged applicants which might be applicable. Disadvantaged applicants have and average MCAT score 5 points lower than non-disadvantaged, and the average gpa is a 3.3 rather than a 3.5. Here's a PDF with all the statistics if you're interested: https://www.aamc.org/download/122492/data/garrison.pdf
 
These aren't the statistics you were asking for, but the aamc publishes info on disadvantaged vs non-disadvantaged applicants which might be applicable. Disadvantaged applicants have and average MCAT score 5 points lower than non-disadvantaged, and the average gpa is a 3.3 rather than a 3.5. Here's a PDF with all the statistics if you're interested: https://www.aamc.org/download/122492/data/garrison.pdf
Interesting read, thanks for sharing. I wish there was something more recent considering how much higher matriculant stats are now compared to '02-'07...
 
Srsly I am getting damn sick of people poking fun at my BA in Philo, then being surprised when I tell them I'm going to med school. I don't know where people got it in their heads that every med student must be a Biology/Biochemistry/Neuroscience major.
 
Srsly I am getting damn sick of people poking fun at my BA in Philo, then being surprised when I tell them I'm going to med school. I don't know where people got it in their heads that every med student must be a Biology/Biochemistry/Neuroscience major.

Same here. I was a kinesiology major in school. People always thought I was a complete ***** and was surprised that I got accepted to med school. They thought I was gonna run some gym or somethin. They just mirin your credentials brah.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.