You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Future DVMs- C/O 2021!
Started by lhmhtd
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
For those who have been through this before.....When do we typically start hearing about interview offers?
For those who have been through this before.....When do we typically start hearing about interview offers?
Some schools have early interview dates (example: pretty sure Western has interviews in November, so I'd guess you'd hear in October). But most interviews that take place in December/January you'll hear from in November/December. So might as well go do all those fun things you've been putting off since you started doing these applications. Notifications are like wizards: they are not late nor are they early, they will arrive precisely when they mean to.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some schools have early interview dates (example: pretty sure Western has interviews in November, so I'd guess you'd hear in October). But most interviews that take place in December/January you'll hear from in November/December. So might as well go do all those fun things you've been putting off since you started doing these applications. Notifications are like wizards: they are not late nor are they early, they will arrive precisely when they mean to.
It may be the laughing gas...but I want to happy cry at your wizard comment....Wizards are so cool.....I think I may watch Harry Potter when I get home...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Verified! I submitted Saturday at like 4 am EST.
And I'm waiting on one letter writer to submit her LOR today . . . 
And I'm waiting on one letter writer to submit her LOR today . . .![]()
Eek. That's more stress than anyone needs. Do you have more than 3?
It may be the laughing gas...but I want to happy cry at your wizard comment....Wizards are so cool.....I think I may watch Harry Potter when I get home...
Watch it before the gas wears off
And I'm waiting on one letter writer to submit her LOR today . . .![]()
You go pester that person now
😱😱 I hope she does! and I was freaking out when mine didn't respond until Tuesday haha.And I'm waiting on one letter writer to submit her LOR today . . .![]()
I totally reworked most of my PS last night/this morning but still haven't completely finished (had to sleep 😛), so I'm already running a bit later than last year when I submitted at 2pm. Bad me...finishing it up now that class is done.
Some schools have early interview dates (example: pretty sure Western has interviews in November, so I'd guess you'd hear in October). But most interviews that take place in December/January you'll hear from in November/December. So might as well go do all those fun things you've been putting off since you started doing these applications. Notifications are like wizards: they are not late nor are they early, they will arrive precisely when they mean to.
Harry Potter marathon it is!!
Scratch this, my grandma paid for my first 2 programs, so I was able to borrow the difference from mom to pay for WSU!Likely going to have to cut WSU and go down to 2 schools after all. App money... 🙁 Wish my internship had been paid, then I'd have enough money saved for this to not be an issue.
Thanks grandma 😉 Aaaand with that I'm done! So fricking glad. I ended up submitting after 8pm because I had to reread my PS a hundred times, then add a couple more experiences and double-check the entire app contents for an hour or so before I finally paid.
I submitted Monday morning (9/12) and was verified Wednesday (9/14)! I am so thankful that they were able to verify it before the deadline. Thank you VMCAS verifiers, you are the best! Didn't have to panic for more than a day. lol
Good Luck Everyone, I'm sure you're all as excited and nervous as I am. 😀
Good Luck Everyone, I'm sure you're all as excited and nervous as I am. 😀
Your grandma is the best!Scratch this, my grandma paid for my first 2 programs, so I was able to borrow the difference from mom to pay for WSU!Thanks grandma 😉
Aaaand with that I'm done! So fricking glad. I ended up submitting after 8pm because I had to reread my PS a hundred times, then add a couple more experiences and double-check the entire app contents for an hour or so before I finally paid.
Congrats on being done, everyone! Hope everyone (and their transcripts/eLORs/etc.) made it to the deadline ok!
Quick question for a supplemental- should I classify an interest in shelter medicine as small mammal: general practice, small mammal: specialty practice, or other and then write in shelter medicine?
Quick question for a supplemental- should I classify an interest in shelter medicine as small mammal: general practice, small mammal: specialty practice, or other and then write in shelter medicine?
Congrats on being done, everyone! Hope everyone (and their transcripts/eLORs/etc.) made it to the deadline ok!
Quick question for a supplemental- should I classify an interest in shelter medicine as small mammal: general practice, small mammal: specialty practice, or other and then write in shelter medicine?
Personally I would write in shelter med because it is usually distinguished by itself by most people.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SHE GOT IT IN!!!!!
She was my fifth LOR, so my application wasn't in jeopardy, except that she was a letter WSU specifically told me to add. Last year my academic letters were microbiology and English, so I didn't have anyone directly connected to my degree. So it would have been bad to not have her letter and I was a little worried, but it's all good. 🙂
She was my fifth LOR, so my application wasn't in jeopardy, except that she was a letter WSU specifically told me to add. Last year my academic letters were microbiology and English, so I didn't have anyone directly connected to my degree. So it would have been bad to not have her letter and I was a little worried, but it's all good. 🙂
Also, either the deadline wasn't EST or VMCAS isn't enforcing it very strictly. She submitted 20 min late but it went through. We both received confirmation emails. 

Last edited:
Now that the '16-'17 application cycle is officially closed, I just want to say best of luck to everyone here. I mostly lurk around here but I am sincerely appreciative of the abundance of information available here, as well as everyone that helped me with my personal statement. Now we can all wait in solidarity for any news from our schools. Hopefully I'll be meeting some of you next fall!
Just a little bit of comic relief from a fellow Type A. 😀
Submitted the evening of September 13th and verified today!
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Is anyone applying to UTK?? I didn't see an individual thread and it gave me a sad 🙁
Is anyone applying to UTK?? I didn't see an individual thread and it gave me a sad 🙁
I would have! I went to school in TN and I like the area a lot, but they needed a pre-req that I deigned not to take oops
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
😢I would have! I went to school in TN and I like the area a lot, but they needed a pre-req that I deigned not to take oops
Yeah I think they might have required 2 semesters of Biochem. Otherwise I was going to.Is anyone applying to UTK?? I didn't see an individual thread and it gave me a sad 🙁
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I only remember taking one semester. I think I maybe had to ask them if my class fulfilled the requirement because it was only 3 credits at my school and their requirement said 4? But that was a while ago so I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the right class or the right school 😳Yeah I think they might have required 2 semesters of Biochem. Otherwise I was going to.
According to my list they required cell bio, that's why I never applied there.I only remember taking one semester. I think I maybe had to ask them if my class fulfilled the requirement because it was only 3 credits at my school and their requirement said 4? But that was a while ago so I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the right class or the right school 😳
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Yup, they do. I didn't realize that was unusual!According to my list they required cell bio, that's why I never applied there.
Yeah that sounds right. It said something like if the class is split into 2 semesters, both have to be taken.I only remember taking one semester. I think I maybe had to ask them if my class fulfilled the requirement because it was only 3 credits at my school and their requirement said 4? But that was a while ago so I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the right class or the right school 😳
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Ah, that makes sense. I think that's why I was able to swing it because the course at my school was only one semester.Yeah that sounds right. It said something like if the class is split into 2 semesters, both have to be taken.
According to my list they required cell bio, that's why I never applied there.
Sames
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey so what's something fun people are doing while waiting to hear back? I personally plan to fully enjoy this last (hopefully) year before four long years of my nose firmly planted on the grindstone.
Hey so what's something fun people are doing while waiting to hear back? I personally plan to fully enjoy this last (hopefully) year before four long years of my nose firmly planted on the grindstone.
I just opened a dog training business (grand opening yesterday actually!) so I am spending lots of time with that venture. Also enjoying lots of camping trips while I can take the time off. Canada next month, Utah in March, and lots of shorter trips just for the weekend too (mostly North Shore/Lake Superior).
And I bought a book to read for fun today. [emoji39]
I took two naps and had brunch this weekend! I can't remember the last time I did either of those things.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN mobile
Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN mobile
I took two naps and had brunch this weekend! I can't remember the last time I did either of those things.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN mobile
I slept 16 hours last night/today. Haven't had time for that in forever. Such a great feeling!
Hey so what's something fun people are doing while waiting to hear back? I personally plan to fully enjoy this last (hopefully) year before four long years of my nose firmly planted on the grindstone.
Same thing I do every night, Pinky.
But really it's mostly just work and volunteering. Hoping to do some funsies reading and trips once I quit my job though, need some me-time.
I'm researching back up plans. 😉
Seriously though, I don't know if I will apply a third time if I'm rejected this year. I've been second guessing myself all summer. It feels really difficult to watch my undergrad classmates go on to their teaching and business careers while I'm stuck in the same sometimes-crappy job I've had for years. I've been so hyperfocused on vet med that I don't have an idea of what career I want if I'm not a vet, and I feel really lost sometimes. I'm terrified of the debt and the thought of how difficult the schooling is (and the thought of becoming that person who wasn't good enough and failed out, if I ever get there). So I'm spending a lot of time on internet searches and graduate program websites, job boards, etc, to try and figure out a non-vet med plan.
Anyone else in this boat?
Seriously though, I don't know if I will apply a third time if I'm rejected this year. I've been second guessing myself all summer. It feels really difficult to watch my undergrad classmates go on to their teaching and business careers while I'm stuck in the same sometimes-crappy job I've had for years. I've been so hyperfocused on vet med that I don't have an idea of what career I want if I'm not a vet, and I feel really lost sometimes. I'm terrified of the debt and the thought of how difficult the schooling is (and the thought of becoming that person who wasn't good enough and failed out, if I ever get there). So I'm spending a lot of time on internet searches and graduate program websites, job boards, etc, to try and figure out a non-vet med plan.
Anyone else in this boat?
I'm researching back up plans. 😉
Seriously though, I don't know if I will apply a third time if I'm rejected this year. I've been second guessing myself all summer. It feels really difficult to watch my undergrad classmates go on to their teaching and business careers while I'm stuck in the same sometimes-crappy job I've had for years. I've been so hyperfocused on vet med that I don't have an idea of what career I want if I'm not a vet, and I feel really lost sometimes. I'm terrified of the debt and the thought of how difficult the schooling is (and the thought of becoming that person who wasn't good enough and failed out, if I ever get there). So I'm spending a lot of time on internet searches and graduate program websites, job boards, etc, to try and figure out a non-vet med plan.
Anyone else in this boat?
Not in the same situation, but I have a lot of the same worries. I feel like I am running out of time due to my age. I worry about keeping up with all those bright young minds that are so much faster at everything. I worry about my family and how I am going to be there for them with the time demands of school. I worry about the difficulty of school and what will happen if I don't make it. The main thing is channeling the stress and worry productively. Making plans and exploring option is a good thing. It will open more doors when opportunities present themselves. (Maybe that 'opportunity' will be the ability to show mature consideration of your path in life to the admissions committee.)
I'm researching back up plans. 😉
Seriously though, I don't know if I will apply a third time if I'm rejected this year. I've been second guessing myself all summer. It feels really difficult to watch my undergrad classmates go on to their teaching and business careers while I'm stuck in the same sometimes-crappy job I've had for years. I've been so hyperfocused on vet med that I don't have an idea of what career I want if I'm not a vet, and I feel really lost sometimes. I'm terrified of the debt and the thought of how difficult the schooling is (and the thought of becoming that person who wasn't good enough and failed out, if I ever get there). So I'm spending a lot of time on internet searches and graduate program websites, job boards, etc, to try and figure out a non-vet med plan.
Anyone else in this boat?
Well, I only applied to my IS these past two cycles so I feel that I will definitely be applying a third time if I don't get in... but that said I do get where you're coming from. I feel a lot of the same things right now. I've been looking at graduate programs as well but so far nothing is exciting me.
I'm researching back up plans. 😉
Seriously though, I don't know if I will apply a third time if I'm rejected this year. I've been second guessing myself all summer. It feels really difficult to watch my undergrad classmates go on to their teaching and business careers while I'm stuck in the same sometimes-crappy job I've had for years. I've been so hyperfocused on vet med that I don't have an idea of what career I want if I'm not a vet, and I feel really lost sometimes. I'm terrified of the debt and the thought of how difficult the schooling is (and the thought of becoming that person who wasn't good enough and failed out, if I ever get there). So I'm spending a lot of time on internet searches and graduate program websites, job boards, etc, to try and figure out a non-vet med plan.
Anyone else in this boat?
From someone who's in their soon-to-be late 20s (wait, already?) and who has applied twice before, I feel where you're coming from with this. It was hard to wrap my head around potentially applying a third time, I was so convinced I was going to get in on try #2. But I didn't, and here I am for round 3. Then to see everyone else I went to college with getting into grad schools/finishing med school/etc., you can't help but look yourself in the mirror and wonder sometimes. It'll pass though, it always does. You just have to remember how much work you've done to get to this point, all the hours and knowledge you've accumulated, how much you've accomplished. Focus on the good and how you would make a great vet, even though it's taking a little longer than you'd like to get an acceptance. Remember: most applicants require 2-3 tries to get in. Just gotta stay positive.
As for backup plans, probably a masters of some sort. Those aren't due until february or march though, so go enjoy some time away from doing applications.
This is my fifth application cycle, after turning down an acceptance to a private school due to financial reasons. My fear is that I lost my one chance to be a vet. I've already got my masters so this really is it for me if I'm not accepted this round. I do have a great job in a lab doing research right now but I'm paid off of grant money so once that runs out, I'm out a job.
Just be hopeful until you get that decision
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Just be hopeful until you get that decision
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm researching back up plans. 😉
Seriously though, I don't know if I will apply a third time if I'm rejected this year. I've been second guessing myself all summer. It feels really difficult to watch my undergrad classmates go on to their teaching and business careers while I'm stuck in the same sometimes-crappy job I've had for years. I've been so hyperfocused on vet med that I don't have an idea of what career I want if I'm not a vet, and I feel really lost sometimes. I'm terrified of the debt and the thought of how difficult the schooling is (and the thought of becoming that person who wasn't good enough and failed out, if I ever get there). So I'm spending a lot of time on internet searches and graduate program websites, job boards, etc, to try and figure out a non-vet med plan.
Anyone else in this boat?
As someone who is applying the third time around (and that's with taking a year off between the last cycle and this one), I've been thinking about this a lot. This cycle will probably be my last if I don't get in anywhere. I'm about to graduate with my Masters and me and my boyfriend are ready to settle down which is hard when you're in a constant state of limbo. I'm hopeful for this cycle, but have comes to terms with the reality if I don't get in.
I'm researching back up plans. 😉
Seriously though, I don't know if I will apply a third time if I'm rejected this year. I've been second guessing myself all summer. It feels really difficult to watch my undergrad classmates go on to their teaching and business careers while I'm stuck in the same sometimes-crappy job I've had for years. I've been so hyperfocused on vet med that I don't have an idea of what career I want if I'm not a vet, and I feel really lost sometimes. I'm terrified of the debt and the thought of how difficult the schooling is (and the thought of becoming that person who wasn't good enough and failed out, if I ever get there). So I'm spending a lot of time on internet searches and graduate program websites, job boards, etc, to try and figure out a non-vet med plan.
Anyone else in this boat?
This is only my first time applying and I will probably apply again, but it doesn't hurt to have a good backup option. When I first started applying I felt like there were no other options, vet med was my one and only. I've been trying to find a career that fulfills my purpose of improving animal's lives in a direct way. I don't really enjoy being a vet tech. I feel like I spend a lot of my time cleaning, which I don't mind but just don't want to do long term. I've tried working in a research lab, both micro and organic chem, before deciding on vet med because the debt scared me so bad, but I hated being in the lab. I've never slept in a class before but I think I actually dozed off in one of the lab meetings haha. I definitely think vet med is the best choice but crunching the numbers makes me a lot nervous. Speaking of crunching numbers, is anyone financially smart and willing to look at my potential vet school budget and future debt with interest calculations to tell me if I'm missing something?
A very high volume of people submit in the last days of the cycle. You'll get verified too, just give it a little extra time.So I submitted 9/14 and have not yet been verified, is that a worrisome thing? I'm seeing a lot of people on here say they were verified within a few days.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I too have not been verified yet, but I also submitted on the last day so its much to be expected. That being said, it is definitely terrifying to be awaiting the verification step and not knowing if the 850 dollars I have already spent on apps is going down the drain. I just feel very unsure of myself right now haha. I posted my stats in the "What are my chances" thread as well and waiting for someone to comment on my post is equally terrifying. Good luck everyone!
This is only my first time applying and I will probably apply again, but it doesn't hurt to have a good backup option. When I first started applying I felt like there were no other options, vet med was my one and only. I've been trying to find a career that fulfills my purpose of improving animal's lives in a direct way. I don't really enjoy being a vet tech. I feel like I spend a lot of my time cleaning, which I don't mind but just don't want to do long term. I've tried working in a research lab, both micro and organic chem, before deciding on vet med because the debt scared me so bad, but I hated being in the lab. I've never slept in a class before but I think I actually dozed off in one of the lab meetings haha. I definitely think vet med is the best choice but crunching the numbers makes me a lot nervous. Speaking of crunching numbers, is anyone financially smart and willing to look at my potential vet school budget and future debt with interest calculations to tell me if I'm missing something?
Hey it's great your thinking ahead. I'd recommend the VIN Loan Repayment Simulator as a starting point. That will help with the interest rates. As far a food, rent, utilities ect. it varies by location, so it depends on where you're applying. I'd be happy to help with anything if you need a second set of eyes, I'm a math person and do budgets for fun 😛.
I had a question on adding new experiences. Kind of messed up the first time when I added a research experience that I only have 12 hours in so far. I just started a TA position and a part time paid position as a kennel assistant and veterinary assistant. When should I add those experiences or should I wait until I've accumulated a decent number?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hey it's great your thinking ahead. I'd recommend the VIN Loan Repayment Simulator as a starting point. That will help with the interest rates. As far a food, rent, utilities ect. it varies by location, so it depends on where you're applying. I'd be happy to help with anything if you need a second set of eyes, I'm a math person and do budgets for fun 😛.
YAY, thanks Coopah. Is it okay if I DM you on here?