Future for med school after dismissal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ichosemyusername129

Reaction score
I go to a DO school and have failed the COMLEX twice with a 375 the first time and a 393 the second time. I took it for the third and final time yesterday and came out feeling like I bombed. If I don't pass this time, I will get dismissed from school. I was getting 70s and 80s on combank, and scoring in the 60s and 70s on uworld, I really believed that I would be able to go in there and knock it out of the park, but I came out feeling worse than I did the first time. Of course, I may have passed, but I need to make a plan if I didn't. I am freaking out. Is it possible to get into another med school in the US after getting dismissed from one?

Members don't see this ad.

You might as well wait for your score before you worry, but most likely that will be game over from a physician standpoint. You could always try other healthcare careers. They hand out NP degrees like candy nowadays, could easily grab that.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to be machiavellian about this. If your school has another program in allied health (PA, Pharmacy, Nursing, etc.) look into that. If you end up bailing out from your DO program early, at least you are minimizing your debt exposure. Based upon everything I have seen, the Match is becoming more competitive every year, and candidates with red flags are easily ruled out of contention.

Even if you scrape by on the Level 1 exam, who's to say that you will get past Level 2 or the PE. Don't keep accumulating crushing debt if the ultimate outcome (a residency position) is a lower probability event.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to a DO school and have failed the COMLEX twice with a 375 the first time and a 393 the second time. I took it for the third and final time yesterday and came out feeling like I bombed. If I don't pass this time, I will get dismissed from school. I was getting 70s and 80s on combank, and scoring in the 60s and 70s on uworld, I really believed that I would be able to go in there and knock it out of the park, but I came out feeling worse than I did the first time. Of course, I may have passed, but I need to make a plan if I didn't. I am freaking out. Is it possible to get into another med school in the US after getting dismissed from one?
IF you have test taking anxiety issues, those can be fixed.

How did you do in your preclinical years?

First off, I think you will pass.
Second, you are in bad spot for matching tho. I would be gearing up for all the aways.

But if you failed, its game over, and I would personally look into getting different certifications and trying for a job at a tech giant (Microsoft doesn't require degrees anymore). But that all depends on what you can do. Heck 3 months and a couple thousand bucks can make you a long haul trucker. North Dakota has guys working oil fields with only HS diplomas making nearly 100k. You almost defiantly have enough sciences to be a HS science teacher, which could give you PSLF.

There is also the PA route. Could try and sell them that you decided medicine was too long and uncertain, and that you wanted to control your specialty. If you can get your school to let you 'withdraw' this might actually be a decent option.

Reactions: 3 users
Everyone feels they failed board exams even when they passed them with flying colors. Do NOT lose hope until things are done with.

I agree with the rest of people saying that medicine is over if you do not pass at this point. I think doing PA or another health profession is a good way to go if you're young. I can't imagine it being too hard to pass podiatry, optometry or PA boards if you elected to go that route. I also agree that programming bootcamp would be a good for an entirely alternative career.

As for match, I do agree that things look very bad for you. People with passing boards have failed to match. If I were you, I'd go 100% into trying to match Family Medicine and backup Pathology even if you despise either (both).

Reactions: 5 users
First off, I think you will pass.
Second, you are in bad spot for matching tho. I would be gearing up for all the aways.

But if you failed, its game over, and I would personally look into getting different certifications and trying for a job at a tech giant (Microsoft doesn't require degrees anymore). But that all depends on what you can do. Heck 3 months and a couple thousand bucks can make you a long haul trucker. North Dakota has guys working oil fields with only HS diplomas making nearly 100k. You almost defiantly have enough sciences to be a HS science teacher, which could give you PSLF.

There is also the PA route.
Could try and sell them that you decided medicine was too long and uncertain, and that you wanted to control your specialty. If you can get your school to let you 'withdraw' this might actually be a decent option.

While I agree with the sentiment of brainstorming ideas, a couple things:
1. Getting into a big tech company (especially an elite like Microsoft) is not realistic. I have friends who prepped for tech jobs all through college, and while they got employed, it was mixed results regarding big tech companies
2. PSLF has a criminally low success rate. It would appear current politics/bureaucracy is built to screw people out of qualifying, as only a couple 100 have been compensated despite 10,000s qualifying
3. I don't know where the idea came from that PA school is easier, but from what I've seen the stakes and "Sink or Swim" lifestyle is even worse. I would not recommend it for someone struggling with medical school (though I'm rooting for you OP and feel like you passed!)

I WILL say that a good thing to look into are coding "bootcamps" where they train you rigorously over a couple months and then give you an internship to build job history... if you can hack it. These bootcamps can lead to relatively quick success working in tech as a coder, but they do have shady reputations potentially as a trade off.

Reactions: 1 users
While I agree with the sentiment of brainstorming ideas, a couple things:
1. Getting into a big tech company (especially an elite like Microsoft) is not realistic. I have friends who prepped for tech jobs all through college, and while they got employed, it was mixed results regarding big tech companies
2. PSLF has a criminally low success rate. It would appear current politics/bureaucracy is built to screw people out of qualifying, as only a couple 100 have been compensated despite 10,000s qualifying
3. I don't know where the idea came from that PA school is easier, but from what I've seen the stakes and "Sink or Swim" lifestyle is even worse. I would not recommend it for someone struggling with medical school (though I'm rooting for you OP and feel like you passed!)

I WILL say that a good thing to look into are coding "bootcamps" where they train you rigorously over a couple months and then give you an internship to build job history... if you can hack it. These bootcamps can lead to relatively quick success working in tech as a coder, but they do have shady reputations potentially as a trade off.
He can make it through the schooling for PA if he made it through the first two years of med schools. And the boards are surely easier.

Reactions: 2 users
This.

Only person I know who got these types of jobs had honestly MS in computer science/data science. I know a few like this at Google who make easily 100K+ in their 20s (phenomenal GPAs from top 20 schools though - only person I know who worked as a product manager in SF/Bay Area at a tech giant had their bachelors/masters from Stanford/MIT). Individual ended up breaking into management consulting for software/tech companies and nowadays makes far more than every doctor I know.

Getting into sales at tech giants (telecom, media, tech based products) is not too hard. Can be super lucrative if you're good at it (150K+ for top performers).

Word.

It's honestly a pet peeve of mine whenever I hear some attending say, "Don't go into medicine, I wish I had done tech!" to some kid asking for career advice. Like, that's horrible input. Not only is it entitled, it's not even a realistic alternative. 30,000 physicians enter residency each year, but I guarantee you not that many new employees are hired into 6-figure salaries in tech companies.

Sorry, rant over.

Reactions: 2 users
Just more tech anecdotes. I know one girl from high school who graduated top of our class in high school, went to a stellar college, killed it there & works at Google. She was extremely smart. I'm sure she is very well off.

I also have a friend who wasn't ever that great at school, didn't finish college, is very lazy, kind of angry, & has worked his way up the tech food chain at Best Buy working from home, & now gets payed very well there.

Best Buy =/= Google, but you don't need to set your standards at "google/microsoft." There are plenty of companies that don't need people with impressive accolades who will pay you well.

Also rooting for you OP. Your QBank scores seem solid. I think you'll pass.

Do you think its test anxiety? Thats a large difference with your practice tests. You may want to consider looking into testing accommodations (extended time) for future tests if you pass. Its very difficult to get these accommodations but its worth a shot. Howd you do in preclinical courses? Did you do well on MCAT? Did you feel you didnt prepare well?

This.

Only person I know who got these types of jobs had honestly MS in computer science/data science. I know a few like this at Google who make easily 100K+ in their 20s (phenomenal GPAs from top 20 schools though - only person I know who worked as a product manager in SF/Bay Area at a tech giant had their bachelors/masters from Stanford/MIT). Individual ended up breaking into management consulting for software/tech companies and nowadays makes far more than every doctor I know.

Getting into sales at tech giants (telecom, media, tech based products) is not too hard. Can be super lucrative if you're good at it (150K+ for top performers).

I went to an undergrad that was top 2-5 in the CS and engineering fields, and I have multiple friends that went to the big Tech companies in silicon valley after BS and MS in those fields. Their entry pay was in the $100k, and that's like a decade ago, plus all the crazy benefits.

That said, I also know many people including family members in tech that came out with a BS in CS or ECE from unranked undergrad programs that started at the right jobs for $80k+. Virtually every company needs computer scientists, not just big tech. If you develop skills in it, jobs are out there, especially if you're flexible. You also don't need to go out to CA, there's plenty of jobs in the silicon prairie as well.

Word.

It's honestly a pet peeve of mine whenever I hear some attending say, "Don't go into medicine, I wish I had done tech!" to some kid asking for career advice. Like, that's horrible input. Not only is it entitled, it's not even a realistic alternative. 30,000 physicians enter residency each year, but I guarantee you not that many new employees are hired into 6-figure salaries in tech companies.

Sorry, rant over.
Literally hate it when doctors are like don't go into medicine it sucks now. Thanks I'm here now and I'm fortunate enough to be in med school and I love it so sorry you hate your life and job lmao makes me cringe

Literally hate it when doctors are like don't go into medicine it sucks now. Thanks I'm here now and I'm fortunate enough to be in med school and I love it so sorry you hate your life and job lmao makes me cringe

Exactly. "Don't go into medicine, young person. I don't like it anymore because it's not like it was 20 years ago and I don't get to do literally whatever I want all the time anymore. Now that hindsight is 20/20, allow me to convince you to enter some career I have bare minimal knowledge of in hopes of living vicariously through you."

Like, I get it. There are some truly awful aspects of medicine. But it's also awful to tell someone to not even try at it.

IF you have test taking anxiety issues, those can be fixed.

How did you do in your preclinical years?

Do you think its test anxiety? Thats a large difference with your practice tests. You may want to consider looking into testing accommodations (extended time) for future tests if you pass. Its very difficult to get these accommodations but its worth a shot. Howd you do in preclinical courses? Did you do well on MCAT? Did you feel you didnt prepare well?

I do think it's test taking anxiety, I did around average my first year, and then my grades started going down second year which is when I think the anxiety started, but I didn't realize it, I just kinda assumed I was dumb or wasn't studying hard enough, and it was frustrating because I wasn't doing well no matter how hard I studied.
It wasn't until my first COMLEX failure that I met with a school counselor who told me I might have test taking anxiety, so the second time around I tried to just keep it under control and consciously stay calm and I felt okay coming out of it, and then almost passed with a 393. Then this third time I thought that since I studied so much and my scores on the test banks were always well above average, I should be fine, but I basically had a meltdown in the testing room because this was my last chance and the anxiety really got the best of me, there are 2 incredibly easy questions in particular that I can remember I got wrong just because of my nerves and I'm beating myself up every day because of it. If I pass this test, the first thing I'm going to do is get some serious help for the anxiety.

MCAT wise I got a 506 (which averages to around a 29 I think using the old system)

All I can do now is just wait and see, it's pure torture, I'm going through FA to see if I can jog my memory and remember questions that I marked to see if I got them right, and surprisingly I'm getting more right than I thought, but also getting a few wrong as well, so its a mixed bag.

And I understand what all of you guys are saying about it being game over if I don't pass the third time around. The rest of my family works in tech so I might go that route, it'll be heartbreaking though. I've complained about being in the medical field just like everyone else in terms of the vast amounts of knowledge we have to know, but the idea of actually not becoming a doctor really hurts. I know I can't speak for everyone, but regardless of how much I've complained, I can't even imagine a life outside of medicine, I've been working toward med school for as long as I can remember. I may end up doing something else medical instead of tech if I just can't get myself to leave medicine.

I do think it's test taking anxiety, I did around average my first year, and then my grades started going down second year which is when I think the anxiety started, but I didn't realize it, I just kinda assumed I was dumb or wasn't studying hard enough, and it was frustrating because I wasn't doing well no matter how hard I studied.
It wasn't until my first COMLEX failure that I met with a school counselor who told me I might have test taking anxiety, so the second time around I tried to just keep it under control and consciously stay calm and I felt okay coming out of it, and then almost passed with a 393. Then this third time I thought that since I studied so much and my scores on the test banks were always well above average, I should be fine, but I basically had a meltdown in the testing room because this was my last chance and the anxiety really got the best of me, there are 2 incredibly easy questions in particular that I can remember I got wrong just because of my nerves and I'm beating myself up every day because of it. If I pass this test, the first thing I'm going to do is get some serious help for the anxiety.

MCAT wise I got a 506 (which averages to around a 29 I think using the old system)

All I can do now is just wait and see, it's pure torture, I'm going through FA to see if I can jog my memory and remember questions that I marked to see if I got them right, and surprisingly I'm getting more right than I thought, but also getting a few wrong as well, so its a mixed bag.
A 506 is a pretty good score so you clearly can handle standardized tests. Sorry to hear this though, if you do end up passing you gotta get some help for the test anxiety and should pursue accommodations if possible (its hard to do but at least try) since this is not the last standardized exam you will be taking. Good luck man im rootin for ya, keep us updated on your score

The bolded is concerning. Would you just try to keep emesis "under control"? How about rectal bleeding? What active steps have to done to deal with your anxiety????

Don't be a noncompliant patient. You'll have tons of those as a clinician.

Get that test taking anxiety fixed, not merely under control, or you will not be a doctor. Period.

I PASSED!

I got a 413, which is not a good score by any means, but its better than a 390-something. I'm making an appointment with my school counselor to talk specifically about testing anxiety, and will be seeing my PCP to talk about it as well. I have a feeling that I could have scored higher if I didn't have a complete meltdown on test day. The score is disappointing for sure, but it's a sigh of relief after a month of complete fear and anxiety.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
I PASSED!

I got a 413, which is not a good score by any means, but its better than a 390-something. I'm making an appointment with my school counselor to talk specifically about testing anxiety, and will be seeing my PCP to talk about it as well. I have a feeling that I could have scored higher if I didn't have a complete meltdown on test day. The score is disappointing for sure, but it's a sigh of relief after a month of complete fear and anxiety.
Not disappointing at all IMO. Congrats on keeping the dream alive! Now you got to make sure you don't fail anything else, and gear up for the aways (preferably former DO programs who are looking for fit more than scores). Your still in it to win it my brother!

Reactions: 3 users