GA-PCOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Drugtech said:
If by "cohesiveness" you mean lying, cheating, and backstabbing, then I would say you are right on the money!

I'm just kidding...we really are a family, for the most part. We've really had to stick together during the making of a medical school. We've bonded over somthing that most people will never ever get to experience, and we hope to bring y'all in under our wings next year. Now, that doesn't mean we aren't going to clothesline y'all freshmen on a daily basis! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Drugtech said:
I'm just kidding...we really are a family, for the most part.

phew you had me worried there for a minute! :laugh:

If any sophomore attempts to closeline me, they can expect to kiss the deck :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
If any sophomore attempts to closeline me, they can expect to kiss the deck :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Drugtech said:
I'm just kidding...we really are a family, for the most part. We've really had to stick together during the making of a medical school. We've bonded over somthing that most people will never ever get to experience, and we hope to bring y'all in under our wings next year. Now, that doesn't mean we aren't going to clothesline y'all freshmen on a daily basis! :laugh:
Now, now...there will be no clotheslining of incoming freshman. Unless, of course, you clothesline with the use of a cadaver arm. That one might just be funny enough to be deemed acceptable. Seriously though, the class of 2009 will have a lot of bragging rights after chartering the first successful class at GA-PCOM; for that you are commended :thumbup: Thanks for breaking the school in for us. Now that respect has been given, be prepared for the class of 2010 to put up a first year performance that makes the class of 2009 fail in comparison! :laugh: Who's with me?! Just don't remember that comment when I come begging for help and guidance throughout the year! :D In all honesty, I do look forward to meeting all of you, working with all of you, and borrowing your brains and experience during our first year. Thanks for working out the first year kinks for us!

HooahDOc said:
I will be attending GA-PCOM on the Army HPSP, so I will be the guy with no hair who looks like he is about 17; young looks run in the family.
HooahDOc- I will be attending this year and was accepted for the HPSP scholarship through the Air Force...then turned in down after a lengthy decision with my wife. Will this be your first time in military dealings, and when do you start the Army's version of commissioned officer training? I still wonder if I made the right decision concerning the scholarship...?

Yes and in order to out perform us you will most certainly need the best textbooks including but not limited to: Histology, Embryo, Medical Neurosciences (barely used)......Please contact me immediately for the best prices to further you performance and ability to outdo us!!

BMW-

BallGame said:
Now, now...there will be no clotheslining of incoming freshman. Unless, of course, you clothesline with the use of a cadaver arm. That one might just be funny enough to be deemed acceptable. Seriously though, the class of 2009 will have a lot of bragging rights after chartering the first successful class at GA-PCOM; for that you are commended :thumbup: Thanks for breaking the school in for us. Now that respect has been given, be prepared for the class of 2010 to put up a first year performance that makes the class of 2009 fail in comparison! :laugh: Who's with me?! Just don't remember that comment when I come begging for help and guidance throughout the year! :D In all honesty, I do look forward to meeting all of you, working with all of you, and borrowing your brains and experience during our first year. Thanks for working out the first year kinks for us!

BMW19 said:
Yes and in order to out perform us you will most certainly need the best textbooks including but not limited to: Histology, Embryo, Medical Neurosciences (barely used)......Please contact me immediately for the best prices to further you performance and ability to outdo us!!

BMW-
Good point BMW...and I do plan on taking any used texts off your hands (or at least the ones that I'll actually need). Speaking of which- don't you plan to keep your old texts for COMLEX prep, or is the school going to assist with COMLEX prep? As helpful as everyone has portrayed the professors and staff, I wouldn't be shocked if they planned on doing a free month-long review course for it. I wouldn't argue with it :D
So, do you guys have time to get together for basketball/flag football games and stuff like that, or does everyone rush out of school each afternoon to get a jump on studies? I would like to have some fun while I'm here afterall!

This is my first time on this forum deal and it has nothing to do with what ya'll are talking about but are any of the people attending 2010 going to this meet and greet thing on April 28th, if you are what kind of dress is it, I'm pretty sure it isn't formal but I don't really want to show up in jeans and sandals if it is. Appreciate it.

rwjuf said:
This is my first time on this forum deal and it has nothing to do with what ya'll are talking about but are any of the people attending 2010 going to this meet and greet thing on April 28th, if you are what kind of dress is it, I'm pretty sure it isn't formal but I don't really want to show up in jeans and sandals if it is. Appreciate it.

I am planning on attending the meet and greet, so I'll see you there :) I'm planning on wearing something in between formal and jeans - probably a casual skirt or something along those lines. Unless someone from the c/o 2009 tells me otherwise....

rwjuf said:
I called about what to wear and they said business casual. Stick to dress pants/khakis and a button-up shirt for men, and pants/nice skirt and a suitable top for women. I'll be there as well by the way- see you all then!

Hey guys. Cheryl and I are looking for a third roommate to share a 3BR house with us in the fall. We are going to meet up at the new student reception and are going to look at houses on that Saturday. If anyone is interested or has any questions, you can PM me or send me an email at [email protected]. I'll be posting this on nucleus as well.

Oh - we will have both a dog and a cat living in the house, so you must be dog and cat friendly! :) Thanks guys!

Lori

Hey everyone!

If any 2010s or 2009s are interested in living w/ a couple of 2009s (Corey Brown and myself) shoot me a private message. I need room to stretch my legs, grill out, and play host and my little 1BR isn't cuttin' it. I have some great houses and townhouses in mind, but I need an idea of how many are interested for a 3/4/5BR.

Females, Males, dogs... are more than welcome as long as you'd make a good roommate. We're really laid back and easy to get along w/; unfortunately, we'll be in DC (w/ half of the class) when ya'll are here for the meet & greet. Hit me up w/ a private message and I'll give you more info. We'll stay in touch. Thanks!

~Judd Salamat

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about dress at the meet n' greet. Although I'm not the one you want dressing advice from.

For whoever will be apartment hunting when they're here for the meet/greet:

Do NOT rent at "sterling riverside" apts on Duluth Hwy.

DO check out the "The Preserve at Legacy Park" on Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd (ask for Amber).

If you sign a lease at any of these places, let them know Sam and Anand sent you.

We get a nifty referral fee for it.

On another note, even though about half the class won't be there when you guys come visit, we will try to make sure all the clubs/organizations have some information to provide to you. Below are the organizations currently active at GA-PCOM:

1. Emergency Medicine Club - by far the coolest club.

2. Pediatric Club - they're called P.L.A.Y. - I forget what the acronym means though - but still cool.

4. Athletic Club - they keep us moving and bruised.

3. Surgery Club - SOSA (Student Osteop. Surgery Ass.) - don't ask about the "Iowa Trip".

4. UAAO - Undergrad. Academy of American Osteopathy - our certified OMM nuts - under the command of Nut-in-Chief Dr. Ehrenfeuchter - he's groovy - ask him about the "Harrowgate String Band".

5. Pain Management (ask to speak with "Chow Time")

6. SNMA (Student National Medical Association) - student chapter of the NMA - represents mainly minority medical professionals - Their leader is "Out Of Order" (inside joke...).

7. SOMA - Student Osteop. Medical Association - the student/resident portion of the AOA - they are the 800-pound gorilla of organizations - they're the reason 40 of us are going to Wshngtn DC on April 28th.

8. GA-PCOM Student Governement Association & various committees - (the Three Stooges meet the Marx Brothers - they're a weird group to say the least).

9. CMDA - Christian Medical Dental Assn. - another very active group.

10. we have an unofficial alternative medicine club (will be officialized soon), and a couple other unofficial groups such as "GA-PCOM GAPI-AAPI-FLAPI" (don't ask, thanks), the international club etc.

11. forgive me If I forgot anyone.

If there is any club in particular you would like to get in touch with, PM me. We're always on the lookout for speakers, activities, etc, so if you think you know someone or some organization , volunteer opportunity, professional conferences etc that we could benefit from, let us know.

I am VP of the EM club so if you are interested in emergency medicine make sure you find me!! I will be one of the few at school that day, as I am not going to march on the hill.

BMW-

samdwi said:
Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about dress at the meet n' greet. Although I'm not the one you want dressing advice from.

For whoever will be apartment hunting when they're here for the meet/greet:

Do NOT rent at "sterling riverside" apts on Duluth Hwy.

DO check out the "The Preserve at Legacy Park" on Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd (ask for Amber).

If you sign a lease at any of these places, let them know Sam and Anand sent you.

We get a nifty referral fee for it.

On another note, even though about half the class won't be there when you guys come visit, we will try to make sure all the clubs/organizations have some information to provide to you. Below are the organizations currently active at GA-PCOM:

1. Emergency Medicine Club - by far the coolest club.

2. Pediatric Club - they're called P.L.A.Y. - I forget what the acronym means though - but still cool.

4. Athletic Club - they keep us moving and bruised.

3. Surgery Club - SOSA (Student Osteop. Surgery Ass.) - don't ask about the "Iowa Trip".

4. UAAO - Undergrad. Academy of American Osteopathy - our certified OMM nuts - under the command of Nut-in-Chief Dr. Ehrenfeuchter - he's groovy - ask him about the "Harrowgate String Band".

5. Pain Management (ask to speak with "Chow Time")

6. SNMA (Student National Medical Association) - student chapter of the NMA - represents mainly minority medical professionals - Their leader is "Out Of Order" (inside joke...).

7. SOMA - Student Osteop. Medical Association - the student/resident portion of the AOA - they are the 800-pound gorilla of organizations - they're the reason 40 of us are going to Wshngtn DC on April 28th.

8. GA-PCOM Student Governement Association & various committees - (the Three Stooges meet the Marx Brothers - they're a weird group to say the least).

9. CMDA - Christian Medical Dental Assn. - another very active group.

10. we have an unofficial alternative medicine club (will be officialized soon), and a couple other unofficial groups such as "GA-PCOM GAPI-AAPI-FLAPI" (don't ask, thanks), the international club etc.

11. forgive me If I forgot anyone.

If there is any club in particular you would like to get in touch with, PM me. We're always on the lookout for speakers, activities, etc, so if you think you know someone or some organization , volunteer opportunity, professional conferences etc that we could benefit from, let us know.

Does anyone know what they are going to present in the financial aid workshop is in June? I mean obviously they are going to do financial aid stuff, but what exactly? Private loan stuff? Federal stuff? Budgeting?

The reason why I ask is because my family is going on vacation on either the 9th or the 10th of June and I'm trying to see if I need to figure out a way to do both or if it's something I wouldn't necessarily need. Unfortunately I can't change my family's vacation plans......

another random question for first years...

does anyone think it would be worth it for me to buy a pda or pda cell phone for my first couple years? i'm not sure how the schedules are. i'm a pretty forgetful guy, so i figured i might try one to keep my on track. or maybe i should just get a calendar...hahaha...

does anyone think its worth it or will it be just a waste of my money?

anxiousnadd said:
another random question for first years...

does anyone think it would be worth it for me to buy a pda or pda cell phone for my first couple years? i'm not sure how the schedules are. i'm a pretty forgetful guy, so i figured i might try one to keep my on track. or maybe i should just get a calendar...hahaha...

does anyone think its worth it or will it be just a waste of my money?

IMO, it would be waste of money to get that at this point. I don't even have a laptop, and I'm doing fine without it. I plan on getting a laptop late in second year, and PDA probably later.

A calender/planner would work just as well.

That said, having one won't hurt - until you get used to it and then lose it - and then lose your mind.

FYI: Samd didn't mention that there's going to be a Spors Medicine club soon (AOASM).... as soon as I get my act together b/w house hunting, inventorying Dr. Gantt's teeth specimens, and falling asleep between sentences in microbio slides.

(yeah it's friday and I'm studying and on SDN... and no I'm not a loser, at least not until I got to med school)

I actually thought the best part of the FA meeting was meeting all of my classmates! The FA stuff was informative but far from necessary. Nothing you could not get by calling the Philly campus and getting someone good on the phone ( I stress that last line!) If you are going to the thing next week you could prob. get all of the info you need.

BMW-

Spankete87 said:
Does anyone know what they are going to present in the financial aid workshop is in June? I mean obviously they are going to do financial aid stuff, but what exactly? Private loan stuff? Federal stuff? Budgeting?

The reason why I ask is because my family is going on vacation on either the 9th or the 10th of June and I'm trying to see if I need to figure out a way to do both or if it's something I wouldn't necessarily need. Unfortunately I can't change my family's vacation plans......

Hey guys,

I wish I could meet all of you before classes start, but unfortunately I can't. I already have two more trips to the area and can't really afford a third on the 28th. I'm an HPSP recipient so the FA session is pretty pointless for me to attend.

Now on to more pressing matters. Does the school mail out a booklist before classes begin? My wife and I will be moving in late June or early July and I won't be working until school starts, so I would like to look over some of the texts for the heck of it.

BMW19 said:
I actually thought the best part of the FA meeting was meeting all of my classmates! The FA stuff was informative but far from necessary. Nothing you could not get by calling the Philly campus and getting someone good on the phone ( I stress that last line!) If you are going to the thing next week you could prob. get all of the info you need.

BMW-

Thanks! I would love to be able to go to both and I'm thinking I might be able to if I work it out right......but yeah, I will be coming down to the April 28th thing so maybe i can try to get some of the information there.

I can't believe the meet and greet happens to be when half of the class ahead of us isn't going to be there!

Yeah a bit of a logistical oversight on their part, but honestly I don't think they realized how many people were going up to DC. They prob. figured about 25 people and it ended up being half the class! Even with 1/2 the class around you will still get a good feel for the goings on at the school.

Hoah,

Don't bother looking things over before August. Enjoy your last few months of freedom before you enter 7 years of no freedom! Besides, every professor tests differently and you won't know what to read and what to skip over. I think most of my classmates agree you should chill out, go to the beach and spend a lot of time with friends and family over the summer.

BMW-

Spankete87 said:
Thanks! I would love to be able to go to both and I'm thinking I might be able to if I work it out right......but yeah, I will be coming down to the April 28th thing so maybe i can try to get some of the information there.

I can't believe the meet and greet happens to be when half of the class ahead of us isn't going to be there!

I know most people in the class will tell you not to study and Im one of them but for the people that have never had anatomy before and have tons of free time Ill tell you what you can look over. I believe we started Anatomy on the arm. Memorize the bones, all the muscles, all the places muscle connect to the bones and the nerves of the arm and what muscles they innervate. You could probably check out a book somewhere about this stuff. The anatomy book we used for last year was grays anatomy. But dont buy it yet because Im sure there are alot of first years willing to sell it for cheaper and probably more willing to spend some time giving you lots of good advice if you buy some books from them.
If you know every thing about the arm and maybe even the back too then the first test will be a little easier. but beyond that, you are just wasting your time for sure.

I will be flying to Atlanta on Thursday afternoon. Anybody going to be around or arriving early?

brent311 said:
I know most people in the class will tell you not to study and Im one of them but for the people that have never had anatomy before and have tons of free time Ill tell you what you can look over. I believe we started Anatomy on the arm. Memorize the bones, all the muscles, all the places muscle connect to the bones and the nerves of the arm and what muscles they innervate. You could probably check out a book somewhere about this stuff. The anatomy book we used for last year was grays anatomy. But dont buy it yet because Im sure there are alot of first years willing to sell it for cheaper and probably more willing to spend some time giving you lots of good advice if you buy some books from them.
If you know every thing about the arm and maybe even the back too then the first test will be a little easier. but beyond that, you are just wasting your time for sure.

Is this Gray's Anatomy for Students or the big telephone book sized 39th ed. of Gray's Anatomy?

Hey Guys - I have an interview @ PCOM-GA thursday and just wanted to know of any specific things about the interview I should be aware of..I have done one interview at TUCOM-NV and got accepted :)
I heard it is mostly conversational like getting the prospects to know the school, while also allowing the interviewers to pick away at certain things..at least thats what I heard?? Anyways, I visited the school once and really loved many things about it...I am an senior at Emory right now and PCOM-GA is my top choice. I was debating to take a yr off and do some post-bacc work for a yr at home in Chicago to maybe help my application for re-applying for some local schools, but if I got in to PCOM-GA, I would go...any thoughts? Any advice you would give to someone who really likes the school and needs to close the deal??
Any good advice would be appreciated...Thanks guys, looking forward to meeting some of you on Thursday

Peace

Little Bear said:
Is this Gray's Anatomy for Students or the big telephone book sized 39th ed. of Gray's Anatomy?

Grays anatomy for Students by Drake, but if you want to study before class you can use almost any anatomy book that goes into enough detail and has good pics. Another book that alot of people used in the class was Moores Clinically oriented Anatomy book. If a library doent have one of these 2 books then there are many others that will work fine for some preanatomy study.

Little Bear said:
I will be flying to Atlanta on Thursday afternoon. Anybody going to be around or arriving early?

I'm not arriving early, but I know a couple of us will be staying until Sat afternoon :)

Little Bear said:

No I won't be there until Friday morning but I am staying until sunday afternoon

Little Bear said:

I will be arriving Thursday in the early evening (around 5:00) if I don't get lazy and leave late :)

brent311 said:

After talking with some classmates I realized that we started on the back first and the arm was mostly for the second test, although they could totally switch everything around on you guys.

Time Served said:
Hey Guys - I have an interview @ PCOM-GA thursday and just wanted to know of any specific things about the interview I should be aware of..I have done one interview at TUCOM-NV and got accepted :)
I heard it is mostly conversational like getting the prospects to know the school, while also allowing the interviewers to pick away at certain things..at least thats what I heard?? Anyways, I visited the school once and really loved many things about it...I am an senior at Emory right now and PCOM-GA is my top choice. I was debating to take a yr off and do some post-bacc work for a yr at home in Chicago to maybe help my application for re-applying for some local schools, but if I got in to PCOM-GA, I would go...any thoughts? Any advice you would give to someone who really likes the school and needs to close the deal??
Any good advice would be appreciated...Thanks guys, looking forward to meeting some of you on Thursday

Peace

When you interview, let them know that GA-PCOM is your top choice, and if you got in you would go. My interview advice is relax, be yourself, know your strengths, and know your weaknesses and how to mitigate them.

Time Served said:

Peace
heeeey I'm a senior at emory too and I'm going to ga-pcom next year :) and I had also gotten into TUCOM-NV but declined the offer for ga-pcom...wow our story is so similar it's creepy haha!
don't worry about the interview, it is very laid back...just be yourself and answer the questions as best as you can...the interviewers are extremely nice...good luck!

I will be here Thursday too (well actually everyday since I live here) If any wants to get together for dinner or something thursday, that might be fun plus we won't have to feel so ackward on Friday!

pinkscrubs,

Great Idea

There is a nice Italian place across from the Hampton Inn on Sugarloaf. Just a suggestion if any one has a better idea...

Little Bear said:
pinkscrubs,

Great Idea

There is a nice Italian place across from the Hampton Inn on Sugarloaf. Just a suggestion if any one has a better idea...
That sounds like a terrific idea! I am sure many people will be staying at the Hampton and it is so close to the school. Anyone else interested in going?

pinkscrubs said:
That sounds like a terrific idea! I am sure many people will be staying at the Hampton and it is so close to the school. Anyone else interested in going?

Count me in too! What time should we meet? Oh and what is the name of the restaurant?

cbertino said:
Count me in too! What time should we meet? Oh and what is the name of the restaurant?

Carrabba's Italian Grill is the one you want. It is right there. The other country Italian place is not so good. Oh yeah by the way we MIGHT be going to a Braves game Saturday night against the Mets is anyone is interested. Please PM me if you have questions. peace-B

beano said:
Carrabba's Italian Grill is the one you want. It is right there. The other country Italian place is not so good. Oh yeah by the way we MIGHT be going to a Braves game Saturday night against the Mets is anyone is interested. Please PM me if you have questions. peace-B

beano,

I think that's a go for the Saturday night braves game as long as the weather holds up. BMW, myself and some others that didn't head to D.C. will be going to the braves saturday night. Those of you guys staying in town, please come and join us.

By the way, you guys interested in Pain Management or Rehab, come find me on Friday. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Raj

beano said:

What time does the game start

whats up guys.....i just got accepted a few days ago..just wondering where & when everyone is meeting.....

thanks

hi guys,
I just wanted to know if any of you are bringing people with you to the reception on friday...I was thinking I would bring my dad so we can go apartment shopping before or after the event, but I would like to know if people are coming alone so I can come solo too.

thanks,
Nancy

cbertino said:
I would have love to join you guys especially since I live here...unfortunately I have a presentation due friday which I would need to work on on thur. :mad:

How about 6 pm at Carrabba's Italian Grill?

PM me if you are interested.

candyland said:
hi guys,
I just wanted to know if any of you are bringing people with you to the reception on friday...I was thinking I would bring my dad so we can go apartment shopping before or after the event, but I would like to know if people are coming alone so I can come solo too.

thanks,
Nancy

I am not bring anyone to the reception. But my hubby will be in town with me to apartment shop

candyland said:
hi guys,

thanks,
Nancy

I know a few of us girls are coming in solo - you won't be alone :)

Anyone know of anything going on Friday night? :D I can't stay Sat night for the game, although I'd love to go to one at some point!

Little Bear said:
How about 6 pm at Carrabba's Italian Grill?

PM me if you are interested.

Alright-- 6 pm Carrabba's, I'll be there!!! I am excited about meeting evreyone! I will just look for the other people out front who look like they don't know anyone.

pinkscrubs said:
Alright-- 6 pm Carrabba's, I'll be there!!! I am excited about meeting evreyone! I will just look for the other people out front who look like they don't know anyone.

I'll be there too! :)