This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted930626

Advice please! I am not applying this cycle; I will be applying next cycle.

Undergrad- Tulane University (graduating May 2020)
Hometown- Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Major- Neuroscience
Minor- English
cGPA- 3.3... I had an awful semester during the fall of my junior year (first time officially being financially independent because my mom got laid off but I don't want to make excuses)
MCAT- I get my score back in a few days (Tuesday) but hoping for a 510 at least
ECs:
Research-
Stem cell research lab at Tulane's medical school, published research paper about cardiovascular disease with UM's Miller school of medicine, published public health research paper about Hurricane Katrina, poster presentation about the prevalence of meningioma in women
Leadership- President of Tulane's School of Science and Engineering Student Government, Student Government senator, Female leadership honors program (cohort of 20 women)
Volunteering- intern for a disaster relief organization this summer, teach middle school girls about women in STEM
Clinical experience- spent all of last summer working as a clinical research fellow/shadow for a neurosurgeon (got about 300 hours with patient contact), also worked as a medical scribe and receptionist two summers ago
Jobs- I work about 4 jobs during the school year because I am a low-income student with a single mom (Sunday school teacher for fourth graders, fellow for a Jewish cultural organization, freelance writer, and work-study job). I have a full tuition scholarship at Tulane but work to pay for rent, food, and extra expenses.

I really just want to get into an MD school, not DO. I'm already bummed about taking a gap year so I just want to make the most of it. I wanted to work in a lab or as a scribe to make money during my gap year but I feel like my best bet is trying to raise my GPA with a post-bac or SMP. I'm not sure I can afford it though.

Any advice about my stats in general? What should I do for my gap year? Any specific programs I should look into? I just want to have a plan for when I graduate in May.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your sGPA? If you already did all your pre-med requirements, you can't do a post-bacc.

sGPA is a 3.0 for now but I still have a few science courses to take my senior year
If you've completed your pre-reqs, then a post-bacc is useless, look at SMP programs. With an sGPA on the lower end, you'll need to show that you can handle a first year medical school curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user