George Washington 2008 Alternate List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, im a new member to SDN, i just got accepted off of the alternate list to GW. So everybody hang in there, the list is definitely moving. Hang in there.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, im a new member to SDN, i just got accepted off of the alternate list to GW. So everybody hang in there, the list is definitely moving. Hang in there.

Congrats! May I ask how you were notified?

damn - list started moving???????? :( oh noess

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! I'm glad to hear the list is moving! C'mon GW!

danger, congrats! post up in the wait-list thread so GW is on the map.

Congrats! Good to see that the waitlist is moving so early... I didn't think that anything would happen until next week. When did you interview? I'm curious if they're first taking people off the list who interviewed earlier.

Would any of the two people so far care to post their MCAT/GPA? I would think they're starting with the highest numbers who've shown interest first. Then come June, they'll probably trickle down to the average and below average applicants in terms of GPA/MCAT.

Would any of the two people so far care to post their MCAT/GPA? I would think they're starting with the highest numbers who've shown interest first. Then come June, they'll probably trickle down to the average and below average applicants in terms of GPA/MCAT.

Actually, my understanding is that they pick people similar to those who withdraw, to maintain diversity in the class.

Actually, my understanding is that they pick people similar to those who withdraw, to maintain diversity in the class.

Either that, or they make paper airplanes out of our application and throw them down the hall to see which one flies the farthest (See, this is why they requested that we send in our secondary in paper format):)

i got a call too today telling me i got off the waitlist!! my mcat score is not that high (29), but i have about a 3.75 gpa...good luck everyone

Congrats fifer! I'm gonna be staring at my phone all day tomorrow...

Members don't see this ad :)
Btw, what happens if you miss the call? Do they leave a message? They actually wait for you to call back, right?

So i didnt see that people got off the waitlist until this morning.
Now I'm gonna be anxious all day. and if we dont get calls today, the weekend is gonna be a long one...

well here's to us getting calls today :thumbup: :oops: and celebrating over the weekend!

PS: FIFER and DANGER POWERS: when did you guys interview and what is your demographic info (since the rumor is GW accepts applicants similar to the withdraw-ee).

^^ id be curious to know as well.

there's two more people, TrojanHorse and TrojanMatt that also got into GW off the Alternate List.

I was just taken off the waiting list yesterday and accepted the offer:) i interviewed back in feb.

good luck to everyone! hopefully i'll see you all soon!

Congrats Medillusion! I interviewed in Feb as well... maybe that's a good sign? I have resorted to finding any kind of connections I have with the accepted to give me some hope. Call me GW!

wow, that's 5 people on the first day! congrats! add your name to the list in the official waitlist thread.

well its clear that at least 3 of them are from Cali. So I guess there is some demographic preference.

I got off the list today too!!!! I am going to GW!

Congratulations guys! I hope there are some more spots left for the rest of us waiting.

Congratulations guys! I hope there are some more spots left for the rest of us waiting.

Don't worry, each seat at GWU seem to cycle through several students before classes begins, even if all the spots are filled now, more will open in a months or two as people get off the waitlist elsewhere.

someone may get some sloppy seconds from me if any instate school takes me off their waitlist. otherwise imma be at gdub fa shizzle.

how long are you going to wait before starting to finalize your move to DC?

Congrats to those who got off the WL!!

How is everyone showing their interest to GW? Letters, email, calls? I've sent them a letter via email in the beginning of May -- not sure what else I can do.

For those who got accepted from the WL, did you send letters or anything?

emails, hand delivered letters (the internal mail system @ Ross Hall is slow), and face-to-face meetings.

but im still on the alternate list, so being here in DC really didn't help me versus students in Cali who are already in off of the WL

I just sent them a few update letters expressing my interest. The last one I sent was in April. Everyone I've talked to says that GW really wants people that show continued interest. If you've updated them every few months you should be fine.

Last edited:
i want that phone call tomorrow!!!!!

Are they still pulling people off? I thought it usually happens in cycles, judging from the previous years, it looks like there's movement in mid-May, then once more in mid to late June.

Come on, GW!! Let's hope there's good news for those of us still waiting! :luck:

I don't know, but I sure hope that they'll be taking people off intermittently between now and mid-June. Because if there's only two waves, then waiting another month won't be easy!

*Crosses fingers for more movement this week* :luck:

Nothing these past few days? Has it stopped moving?

I think acceptances are handed out in weekly or biweekly cycles. On May 15th, they gave out a lot of acceptances to the people at the top of the waitlist. When those people turn down their acceptances or when more people withdraw, the committee will meet again later to consider the rest waitlist and send out another batch of acceptances. This can take anywhere from a few weeks to months, hence the waitlist seems to move in cycles. I would not hold out hope for any additional acceptances until Thursday or next week.

I think acceptances are handed out in weekly or biweekly cycles. On May 15th, they gave out a lot of acceptances to the people at the top of the waitlist. When those people turn down their acceptances or when more people withdraw, the committee will meet again later to consider the rest waitlist and send out another batch of acceptances. This can take anywhere from a few weeks to months, hence the waitlist seems to move in cycles. I would not hold out hope for any additional acceptances until Thursday or next week.

.You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the GW process. Who/what are your sources?.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if they review everyone on the WL and then decide which ones to accept, and repeat this process throughout the cycles?

Does anyone by any chance know how many people are on the GW waitlist this year? It seems from the SDN forum that a lot of people are on the WL.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if they review everyone on the WL and then decide which ones to accept, and repeat this process throughout the cycles?

Does anyone by any chance know how many people are on the GW waitlist this year? It seems from the SDN forum that a lot of people are on the WL.

I'd imagine that it would be pretty hard for them to review everyone on the waitlist since there must be hundreds of people on it. They probably have some sort of internal rank system that selects people off the waitlist based on GPA/MCAT, URM status, or geography of homestate. Someone here also mentioned that they admit people off the waitlist who are similar to someone who just withdrew.

As for the number of people that is on the GW waitlist, it would probably be several hundred. They interivew about 1000 applicants and were supposed to hand out the same number of acceptances as avaliable seats in the incoming class by May 15. So if they handed out 200 acceptances (a conservative estimate), that leaves the remainder (800) on the waitlist. Assuming that several hundred people withdraw by May 15 or were rejected post-interview, it still leave about 300-400 on the waitlist. Again, this is only an estimate, but the GW waitlist is pretty big from what I can tell.

I'd imagine that it would be pretty hard for them to review everyone on the waitlist since there must be hundreds of people on it. They probably have some sort of internal rank system that selects people off the waitlist based on GPA/MCAT, URM status, or geography of homestate. Someone here also mentioned that they admit people off the waitlist who are similar to someone who just withdrew.

As for the number of people that is on the GW waitlist, it would probably be several hundred. They interivew about 1000 applicants and were supposed to hand out the same number of acceptances as avaliable seats in the incoming class by May 15. So if they handed out 200 acceptances (a conservative estimate), that leaves the remainder (800) on the waitlist. Assuming that several hundred people withdraw by May 15 or were rejected post-interview, it still leave about 300-400 on the waitlist. Again, this is only an estimate, but the GW waitlist is pretty big from what I can tell.

I see. Well, that's definately good to know. I just feel like it's so futile to hope that they'd want me out of the hundreds of other waitlisters.

Yeah, tell me about it. I feel like I definitely need a miracle. But who knows... it can never hurt to hope, right?

Go, GW waitlist, Go! Show us more love!

Certainly, they must have rejected people.

I called and spoke to Diane McQuail a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to know if she received some letters I had sent and she said that she had my file in front of her (we had arranged to talk) and they had flagged my file as an applicant who is very interested and has shown much interest (could be total BS :oops:).

Also, I was told that they over-accept by almost double the seats. So, they probably accepted closer to 400 for the 200 spots. But some people on the waitlist have gotten off so that means the extra 200 already withdrew and hopefully a lot of people decided not to remain on the alternate list.

I called and spoke to Diane McQuail a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to know if she received some letters I had sent and she said that she had my file in front of her (we had arranged to talk) and they had flagged my file as an applicant who is very interested and has shown much interest (could be total BS :oops:).

Also, I was told that they over-accept by almost double the seats. So, they probably accepted closer to 400 for the 200 spots. But some people on the waitlist have gotten off so that means the extra 200 already withdrew and hopefully a lot of people decided not to remain on the alternate list.

Rds, Thanks for this. Do they reject anyone they interview? This concept of "waitlist everyone" is new to me. I had thought that they whittle it down a bit.

hey guys - i'm a medical student at gw, and i was in your place at this time a few years ago (on the waitlist). it sounds like you are all very enthusiastic about gw, and i really hope that you guys get in off the waitlist. that being said, hopefully i can give you some advice.

first off, smiley face or no smiley face, speculating that the dean of admissions might be "BS-ing" you on a publicly accessible internet forum is probably not the best thing to help your chances of getting off the list...

I called and spoke to Diane McQuail a couple of weeks ago ... (we had arranged to talk) and they had flagged my file as an applicant who is very interested and has shown much interest (could be total BS :oops:).

second, it's nice that you are showing interest, but just be careful not to go overboard. writing redundant letters weekly or every other week, constantly calling/e-mailing crosses the border between being interested and being a pest. being on the latter side of that fence is not going to help you. trust me - i know how it feels, when i was on the waitlist i read these threads multiple times a day. and, everytime i saw that someone got accepted or even just speculated about getting accepted i thought to myself - i should write another letter! it makes you feel better about your chances but, honestly, the 4th/5th/6th letter is not going to make a difference.

i don't know any specifics about the waitlist and i don't know how selection from the list works. but, i can tell you that we interview a lot of people at gw and many people end up on the list (prob a couple hundred). people do get rejected post-interview, but it's not a large group. there's no way to tell when or how often people are going to come off the list. i was accepted off 3 lists a few years ago - one came in early may, one came in june and the other came in late july (and for two of those schools i did absolutely nothing - no letters of interest, nothing). it's impossible to predict when it's going to happen. i know that speculating and discussing when the next "wave" might come might be cathartic for some of you (it was for me, i'll admit that). just don't let it get to the point where it consumes your daily life. i know how stressful of a process this is - i know how you all probably wonder "could i have done this, could i do that?" but at this point, there's not much you can do. for all of you there is a potential that you could come off the list (you have until late august - that's 3 months still), so if anything try to be hopeful. that's the best you can do at this point.

best of luck to all of you.

Thanks medstylee. I will be the first to admit that checking this thread has become such a habit. Very stressful, indeed. You mentioned that you were accepted off of waitlists throughout the summer, may I ask when you came off of the waitlist at GW?

I'm wondering the same thing. Looks like there haven't been many people (if any) on the forum that have gotten accepted this week.

im pretty sure that the office didn't send out any acceptances this week, mostly because they filled most if not all open seats last thursday/friday (5/15 and 5/16)

. my source is the Admissions Office, in a face-to-face meeting on Tuesday.