George Washington 2008 Alternate List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a reapplicant and this is my second year getting waitlisted but not at GW (last year at MCW). I think GW is a great fit for me and being waitlisted here is good and bad. Good because I felt a sense of hope after reading Diane's waitlist letter. It's only bad when I stress about it or build up an expectation only to be humbled when another week passes and still no word. Anyone else feel this rollercoaster effect? I must admit that there is a certain point where you start to think that the end result is out of your hands. Me personally, I just want to start my career and work towards being as good a doctor as I can be. I have wanted this without question for years now. Another year passes and I have not even started yet. Much love for GW but Darn those waitlists!

I am definately feeling waves of emotion throughout this tedious waiting process. The waitlist letter was so encouraging, but then I was reminded that everyone gets the same letter.

So I called them the other day about something other than the waitlist, and got a different counselor this time. I asked about potential movement and this counselor told me that they don't know if there will be any further movement at all. :( I guess we'll just wait and see...

Members don't see this ad.

I am definately feeling waves of emotion throughout this tedious waiting process. The waitlist letter was so encouraging, but then I was reminded that everyone gets the same letter.

So I called them the other day about something other than the waitlist, and got a different counselor this time. I asked about potential movement and this counselor told me that they don't know if there will be any further movement at all. :( I guess we'll just wait and see...

Well, there sort of has to be a little more movement, since two people withdrew recently. The question is if those spots have been given up to people who aren't on SDN, therefore keeping us in the dark.

Do you guys not have other acceptances?

Well, there sort of has to be a little more movement, since two people withdrew recently. The question is if those spots have been given up to people who aren't on SDN, therefore keeping us in the dark.

Yeah, it's kind of sad really but I don't have an acceptance yet so I am not liking myself too much lately. I am a bit older so it's hard because I have my wife to think of and she has already put up with me for six years of preparing to get into medical school, including a 30k postbac, pursuing more diverse work in clinical research and what not. Besides all that I just want to become an MD and I know it's something I will be great at. I just cannot seem to close the deal :(

Congrats on your acceptance gplex!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's kind of sad really but I don't have an acceptance yet so I am not liking myself too much lately. I am a bit older so it's hard because I have my wife to think of and she has already put up with me for six years of preparing to get into medical school, including a 30k postbac, pursuing more diverse work in clinical research and what not. Besides all that I just want to become an MD and I know it's something I will be great at. I just cannot seem to close the deal :(

Congrats on your acceptance gplex!

I'm sorry to hear that. If you're nontraditional, seriously consider DO schools if you end up reapplying. I had a DO acceptance until NYMC emailed last week, and it has kept me sane through this long process. If you want to know more, feel free to PM.

Ooohhh, and I see you're from CA, too. That's rough. My DO acceptance was at Touro-CA. Check them out. Very, very nice staff and they'll get back to you within 2 weeks of an interview. The average age is like 26 and I was one of the youngest people interviewing, at 22.

I'll be going to Western U. if I don't get into GW.

Congrats on your NYMC acceptance, gplex! I got my MPH this year, and really enjoyed my time in the program. The experiences from the public health field are great, and changed my perspective on a lot of issues.

I'm sorry to hear that. If you're nontraditional, seriously consider DO schools if you end up reapplying. I had a DO acceptance until NYMC emailed last week, and it has kept me sane through this long process. If you want to know more, feel free to PM.

Ooohhh, and I see you're from CA, too. That's rough. My DO acceptance was at Touro-CA. Check them out. Very, very nice staff and they'll get back to you within 2 weeks of an interview. The average age is like 26 and I was one of the youngest people interviewing, at 22.

I agree with gplex. I'm from CA too, and trying to get into a state school was just insane for me. If you want to stay in CA, and you decide to reapply, definately consider Western U. and Touro. But for now, let's hope we hear good news from GW!

I agree with gplex. I'm from CA too, and trying to get into a state school was just insane for me. If you want to stay in CA, and you decide to reapply, definately consider Western U. and Touro. But for now, let's hope we hear good news from GW!

I hear you Lovefood. There is no doubt California med schools are difficult to get into. Thanks for the advice too gplex. Here's to hearing good news from GW soon. I love that school.

Azarep, I understand. I have 0 acceptances also, but I'm wait-listed at GW and Albany. It is disheartening, but hey...what can you do?

And when I call (semi-frequently since May 15) I get different answers on the status of the list depending on the representative I talk to. One day its, "there is constant movement," and the next its, "there has been no movement since May 15th," and recently, "I just talked to the Dean and there will be movement soon." I just try to make it apparent how excited I am to enter the health profession and how interested I am in GW. Here is a second to hearing good news from GW soon. Q'aplaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Just wanted to let you know that I w/d my acceptance last week, as well. GW is awesome, so I hope one of you gets the spot. I am headed to Tufts.

Just wanted to let you know that I w/d my acceptance last week, as well. GW is awesome, so I hope one of you gets the spot. I am headed to Tufts.

Thanks Boston! Alright, 3 withdrawals so far!

Also got 0 acceptance. GW is my only wait list. And it really is my top choice and I LOVE the school and its location.

So for those of you who have 0 acceptance, have you thought of your other options in case you don't get off the list? What other plans have you made? Did any of you consider a masters degree, or the Caribbean? Or will you apply again for next yr?

Azarep, I understand. I have 0 acceptances also, but I'm wait-listed at GW and Albany. It is disheartening, but hey...what can you do?

And when I call (semi-frequently since May 15) I get different answers on the status of the list depending on the representative I talk to. One day its, "there is constant movement," and the next its, "there has been no movement since May 15th," and recently, "I just talked to the Dean and there will be movement soon." I just try to make it apparent how excited I am to enter the health profession and how interested I am in GW. Here is a second to hearing good news from GW soon. Q'aplaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Good luck Burtis! Hopefully both of us will get a call soon.

Also got 0 acceptance. GW is my only wait list. And it really is my top choice and I LOVE the school and its location.

So for those of you who have 0 acceptance, have you thought of your other options in case you don't get off the list? What other plans have you made? Did any of you consider a masters degree, or the Caribbean? Or will you apply again for next yr?

Also does anyone know when the 1st day of classes for GW is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also does anyone know when the 1st day of classes for GW is?

Orientation begins in late August. I think it's still too early to be pessimistic :oops:. Who knows, maybe GW changed their waitlist admissions policy and will select candidates at a later date than in previous years. Everything has a way of working out in the end.

Hello everyone, I'm currently on the wait-list at GW. I was wondering about the accessibility of Dean McQuail. Has anyone seen or spoken to her on the phone about their interest in GW? I have sent the Office of Admissions emails of interest (hopefully the emails didn't turn the admissions committee off...i have a tendency to be a little intense); however, I really just want to speak to her. Just wondering what everyone has been doing to show interest.

Also, may you please tell me how I can see whether there was any movement at this time last year? I'm new to SDN and kind of confused. I'm just wondering about what the general patterns have been like.

LAST QUESTION: Does anyone know if people are rejected from the wait-list or do they just make everyone on the wait-list love life in oblivion until the last possible day? That'd be really sweet if they did that. Heart warming.

Sorry for all the questions.

Wow, I'm in the same boat. GW has been my top choice since it all began and as they say, all it takes is one. There is not a waitlist I'd rather be than on this one so in a way, I don't have to have the dejected feeling of not being considered at my top choice. All I need is that phone call!

As for plans for next year, I'm a nontraditional so I'll be looking for employment hopefully in a doc's office. I think I need to boost my clinical experience a bit before I reapply.

If I don't get in this year I am moving to D.C. anyways and getting a job at the GWU hospital (GW is obviously my top choice). I work in a nursing home in CA and I'm hoping my certification will transfer...

Same here guys...I really hope I get into GW.

I've considered moving to D.C. as well, but I'm not sure if I will definitely do it.

I know it's two months or so until we get the final notice...but still...it's not looking good.

I really hope I get in because it'd be a huge relief and I wouldn't have to worry about finding a job or whatever for next year.

Another day of waiting. And silence. Man, it's deafening.

Common G-dub! Move the waitlist some more. They've GOT to accept at least a few SDNer's off the list, right? Why has there been so little movement this year?

Anyway, I wish continued good luck to everybody on here. :luck::luck::luck:

I keep waiting for movement too, and it's driving me nuts. I was at work today and my phone rang in my pocket, I was flipping out and fumbling my phone all over until I realized it was my grandma. She was calling to see if I had heard anything from GW...hahahaha. Come on GW!

Hey Guys,
I just got the call today at about 9:30am eastern time and was accepted to GW. Hopefully this means the waitlist is still moving and more will be accepted. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Congrats on your acceptance! I hope it continues to move...

WOO! :clap::clap: I'm happy for you. It's great that there's still some movement occurring.

Paliden, if you don't mind my asking, do you have any other acceptances, or are you set on GW?

Best of luck to the rest of us waiting!

As of now GW is definately where I am headed. I am still on the waitinglist at my top choice, but GW requires a deposit within a week of notification so its looking like Im headed to D.C.

Hey Guys,
I just got the call today at about 9:30am eastern time and was accepted to GW. Hopefully this means the waitlist is still moving and more will be accepted. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Congrats, Paliden! :)

And good luck to everyone still waiting! :luck::luck::luck:

Anyone else receive good news on 6/26 or after?

Nothing for me. Too bad.. would've been the best b-day gift ever.

Nah, nothing for me. And sorry to hear you haven't heard anything... there's been a minuscule amount of movement this year though, so that sucks for us. I've basically given up on GW now.

But happy (belated?) birthday lovefood!:hardy:

considering the amount of movement at all the other schools this year (see official waitlist movement thread for more info), im surprised GW didn't move more. you'd figure some of that WL movement at other schools would have some more students w/d their seats from 2012. grrr

Yep. Things aren't looking good.

Yep. Things aren't looking good.

Don't worry. It's always possible that they will evaluate our application at a later date so that it's less likely that we will withdrawal before their starting date. Besides, even if we get rejected this application cycle, it would be an opportunity for us to improve our application for the next application cycle.

Don't worry. It's always possible that they will evaluate our application at a later date so that it's less likely that we will withdrawal before their starting date. Besides, even if we get rejected this application cycle, it would be an opportunity for us to improve our application for the next application cycle.

I do suppose you're right. I've been trying to keep them updated, it's just hard because this is the one school that I got a positive response from.

I guess we do have 7 or so weeks left. About the evaluation, though, you're right that our apps are at least still in play, so we have a chance.

I think I just really dread taking the MCAT over again. :(

I just got accepted to GW WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I just got accepted to GW WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

What a GREAT way to kick off the long weekend. CONGRATS!!! from a fellow Californian! :thumbup:

Congrats!

I wish I get the call sometime soon...

Congratulations Burtis! I hope I can join you soon. Come on GW!

Just bumping this thread! Let's hope there will be some more people pulled off of the alternate list this week, especially those that are waiting here on SDN!

bumping this thread. It is not looking good. i'm already working on my gw secondary for next year. anybody has any good news?

A friend of mine had other offers but got in off the waitlist on Monday and will be attending this fall...still not sure what to make of it all though.

bumping the thread up...I second the "it's not looking good" statement.

Hello to all... After continuously checking SDN for any updates on the GW waitlist I decided to join. We have to keep hoping for the best! Good luck to all! :luck:

booo, no update :(

hehe...yours isn't an update either :p

Trojan got off the UIC waitlist and is withdrawing, according to the waitlist movement thread. Maintain hope.

Correction USC not UIC! But ya a spot openned up!

Thanks you guys...but it isn't looking good. I have a bad feeling that there a lot of people still sitting on the waitlist and not enough spots to go around...

Last edited: