George Washington 2008 Alternate List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm hoping there's a lot of movement next week!

I'll be attending GW, and it'll be great to have you guys as classmates! :D

Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am hoping for some movement next week too. GW is my only chance at getting into an MD program, but it is my favorite medical school anyway.

Hopefully some spots will open up and we will all be in medical school this time next year. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
phoenix - i thought you gave up your seat to gw??

phoenix - i thought you gave up your seat to gw??

Yeah, believe it or not, I withdrew from GW on 5/15 to go to Loyola. Later that day I learned from Loyola's fin aid office that I actually could have requested a slight extension to get GW's fin aid letter first before making a final decision. I spent all night tossing and turning and unable to sleep, and the next morning I called GW and asked if it was possible to be reinstated and get a slight extension to make my decision upon receipt of the fin aid letter. They said yes, and then Loyola agreed as well. I flew out the next day to DC to do an informal second look that weekend/Monday. I spoke with a bunch of students about my curriculum concerns, found out more about the health care policy track and opportunities, checked out living options/expenses and how to live within GW's $1,100/month budget for housing and utilities, talked to students about any detriment to obtaining a Chicago residency if I went to GW instead of Loyola, and spent two days walking all over DC with my dog to get a better feel of the city. I went to DC thinking that I'd most likely go to Loyola, but came back feeling so excited about the opportunities at GW and living in DC that I ended up withdrawing from Loyola. And I managed to sleep through the night perfectly fine after withdrawing from Loyola. :rolleyes:

Yay Phoenix! What made you decide for GW in the end?

Let's see.... From what I learned, it is entirely feasible to skip many of the lectures (i.e., not sit in class from 8-5 everyday), and many students do so and do well (they listen to classes on mp3 and/or use the class notes). The first year WILL be stressful and grueling (compared to Loyola), but I'll just have to suck it up. From the students I spoke with, the first two years are pretty rough, but it gets markedly better after that. Third and fourth year sound great, with excellent third year rotations and a ton of flexibility for fourth year (you can pretty much spend the entire year away with the exception of about three months), so I can spend most of fourth year doing rotations back in Chicago if I want to. The graduating fourth years I spoke to said that everyone they knew got their first or second choice residencies, and they've supposedly got an amazing emergency medicine program at GW (something I'm interested in). The health care policy and global health opportunities and tracks are also amazing, and I look forward to working with a track system preceptor and possibly working on the hill or going abroad my first summer. And I learned their emergency medicine program/director is really interested in integrating policy issues into learning about emergency medicine, which also really appeals to me if I end up going into EM. The students I spoke to were very nice, and I love the campus and the area.

Now for DC - the weather is great compared to Chicago (excellent for year-round dog walking), and the city is incredibly diverse and dynamic. I love that there are people from all over the world in DC, and I feel the city has a lot to offer. Granted, there won't be a lot of time the first two years to experience it, but it's out there when there is free time (or when it can be integrated with med school). I guess I just really liked the energy and the possibilities I felt there. And I figured that I can always move back to Chicago after med school for residency, and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to try to integrate my JD in some way with my future MD degree.

I do feel that Loyola's curriculum and mission were a much better fit for me than GW's, but the unusual opportunities GW presented (as well as living in DC vs. Oak Park) eventually cinched the deal. My friends and family were definitely all shocked that I won't be staying in Chicago and attending Loyola, but they're very supportive and happy for me. And I'm happy too. :D

ha nice write up. congrats on finally deciding! hopefully some of us will come off the Alternate List and be your classmates come August!

hsentar, did they tell you that the class was full? From past threads, it seems that there are two cycles of waitlist movements, one on May and another in June (around the 20th or so). I'm hoping that the same thing will happen this year so that some of us will have the chance to get in during June.

im pretty sure that the office didn't send out any acceptances this week, mostly because they filled most if not all open seats last thursday/friday (5/15 and 5/16)

. my source is the Admissions Office, in a face-to-face meeting on Tuesday.

Hi everyone...

I just want to reiterate MedStylee's comments... I too was accepted off the waitlist a few years back (mid-late May) so it can be done.

Best of luck to you all!

Thought I should check back with this thread. It's been two weeks since they made their initial round of acceptances and I haven't heard of anyone being accepted since. I wouldn't be surprised if they extended more offers later this week or next week since most schools give about two week's notice for people who were accepted off the waitlist to decide if they want to matriculate.

Thought I should check back with this thread. It's been two weeks since they made their initial round of acceptances and I haven't heard of anyone being accepted since. I wouldn't be surprised if they extended more offers later this week or next week since most schools give about two week's notice for people who were accepted off the waitlist to decide if they want to matriculate.

You kind of just made my day :)

i withdrew earlier this week, best of luck to all those still waiting! :luck:

Thanks for the update. :thumbup:

I called today to check in. Nothing really useful to say about the conversation but they took my name down since I said I was still interested in attending. Oh! The lady did tell me the class was full.

Staying on the alternate list is my last shot at getting in this cycle so we'll have to see how it goes.

Hopefully they start pulling more people off the list and give me a call!

Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
when i went to the admissions office 12 days ago they had told me that the class was indeed full for the moment, and that all available seats were filled in those first two days. The words given to me were, "there were a few open seats, and we did fill them".

my guess is that the second wave should come soon, maybe next week or the week after.

I haven't been accepted to GW, but I have decided that even if I get in, I am going to USA: COM. So here's one fewer competitor for everyone.

Best of luck all!

USA:COM c/o 2012!!

I finally gave in and signed up. All I been doing for the past months is check this post for updates! I get butterflies in my stomach whenever there is a new comment :oops:

I finally gave in and signed up. All I been doing for the past months is check this post for updates! I get butterflies in my stomach whenever there is a new comment :oops:

Welcome to SDN. :)

Sadly, I know how you feel. I check this like every other day, just to see if others are getting off the waitlist. I'm patiently awaiting this "second wave" of waitlist activity, after which I will start looking for an apartment in Florida (I was accepted at University of Miami - Boca Raton campus). It just sucks not knowing....I'm sure everyone on this thread already knows that.

Looking at previous threads, seems like the next movement usually happens around June 20-something. :confused: So tired of waiting!... and so hard to keep the hope up.

Away with ye negative thoughts! It ain't over 'till it's over. Sure, you have to be realistic, but anything can still happen. It's only the beginning of June; we still have time (I think!). Keep the hope alive lovefood!

Seriously, everyday that goes by I lose hope bit by bit but I try to stay positive...

Like my friend keeps telling me, "trust me, if I knew worrying will help, I'll do it all the time". Lets not lose hope :luck:

You always hear a story about a student who got accepted on the first day of classes!

do they usually give out offers on a specific day of the week? or does it seem to happen randomly? also, has there been any movement that anyone has heard of in the last week or so?

any news anyone? Is there going to be another movement off the waitlist at all?

It's been so unsettlingly quiet since May 15th...

Just thought I'd bump this thread... I haven't heard a peep from GW, but let's hope that there will be some more movement this week! There's got to be more waitlist action yet to occur, right? Maybe after June 15, when the deposit is due? Sigh... It's been way too quiet for almost a month now.

Just thought I'd bump this thread... I haven't heard a peep from GW, but let's hope that there will be some more movement this week! There's got to be more waitlist action yet to occur, right? Maybe after June 15, when the deposit is due? Sigh... It's been way too quiet for almost a month now.

Yeah, June 16th is when the $2900 tuition prepayment is due. I really hope there's movement soon and a bunch of you guys get in! :luck::luck::luck:

How long did GW give those who got off the WL in mid-May to decide? Was it 2 weeks or a month?

Haven't heard anything after the first wave of WL acceptances, either. Wonder if there will be another movement in late June.

Thanks Phoenix. :) No idea how many weeks they had to decide, but supposedly other schools generally give 2 weeks time. A month seems like an awful long time this late in the admissions cycle to decide whether they want to accept the offer.

I think the problem is that not many people have withdrawn (if any), so they only made a few offers to those on the waitlist. Let's hope that changes this month, but it's been too quiet for my liking.

Well, if the 2008 waitlist thread means anything, then Pheonix is about to open up a spot in GW's class.

Congrats on Mayo, Pheonix, and may all of our alternate list hopes rise from the ashes.

Congrats!

I hope I can get in off the GW waitlist...

Called GW this morning and asked about any WL updates. The person I spoke with said that they do anticipate more movement in the weeks to come, and that the latest date that we'd hear from them is August 20th.

Don't know if this helps much, but at least there's some hope for more movement!

thanks for updating us with what they said.

August 20th...that's so late! argh! Isn't it true that if you go to another school's orientation, that automatically means you can't attend a different med school, even if you've been accepted off the waitlist?

Called GW this morning and asked about any WL updates. The person I spoke with said that they do anticipate more movement in the weeks to come, and that the latest date that we'd hear from them is August 20th.

Don't know if this helps much, but at least there's some hope for more movement!

August 20th...that's so late! argh! Isn't it true that if you go to another school's orientation, that automatically means you can't attend a different med school, even if you've been accepted off the waitlist?

You'd also be the bastard child of Satan to do so.

That is true - and I have a white coat ceremony elsewhere on Aug 3....
On the positive side of things, it almost guarantees that the extra extra late accepts will be those without any other choices.
i mean, that's kind of heartwarming. but on the other hand (it's my bitchslap hand), eff them. i want in at gw.

Hello all,

I'm another GW wait-listee. I've been following this thread under the radar for a while so I figured it was time I signed up. Here is good luck to all from Burtis...

Does anyone know if there is going to be any more movement of the waitlist??? It is starting to look bleak.

gamble, i emailed them recently and i got a pretty simple response:
"i unnno".
i think they're honest and really just don't know. my understanding is that last year schools ran into trouble (i've talked to a few who didn't accept anyone off the waitlist last year because they over-accepted). this year they've had to deal with that possibility. some schools i'm W/Led at have had above average movement and some have had very little. GW has been pretty tight lipped about it and that's their prerogative. they're busy in their admissions office. they get how many primary apps? i'll let them tend to their bidness.
i'm happy enough to sit tight. things have a way of working out in the long run.

I'm currently WL'ed at GW, and have a dilemma.. please help!

To remain on GW's WL, they require that the applicant does not begin orientation at another school, this includes registering for Fall classes. However, Western U (the school I'll be going to if GW doesn't take me off the WL) starts their registration for classes on July 1st. I called GW about this, and they confirmed that they indeed require the applicant not to register for classes. What should I do at this point? The Admissions Office at GW said that if I do have a problem, I can e-mail them my issue and they will decide on a case-by-case basis, however, I'm worried this will negatively impact my chances for the school. GW's my first choice by far, and I'm not sure how I should proceed.

Does registering for classes late have negative consequences?

Does registering for classes late have negative consequences?

It probably varies by school. I would call Western U's registrar's office and ask.

gamble, i emailed them recently and i got a pretty simple response:
"i unnno".
i think they're honest and really just don't know. my understanding is that last year schools ran into trouble (i've talked to a few who didn't accept anyone off the waitlist last year because they over-accepted). this year they've had to deal with that possibility. some schools i'm W/Led at have had above average movement and some have had very little. GW has been pretty tight lipped about it and that's their prerogative. they're busy in their admissions office. they get how many primary apps? i'll let them tend to their bidness.
i'm happy enough to sit tight. things have a way of working out in the long run.

I am a reapplicant and this is my second year getting waitlisted but not at GW (last year at MCW). I think GW is a great fit for me and being waitlisted here is good and bad. Good because I felt a sense of hope after reading Diane's waitlist letter. It's only bad when I stress about it or build up an expectation only to be humbled when another week passes and still no word. Anyone else feel this rollercoaster effect? I must admit that there is a certain point where you start to think that the end result is out of your hands. Me personally, I just want to start my career and work towards being as good a doctor as I can be. I have wanted this without question for years now. Another year passes and I have not even started yet. Much love for GW but Darn those waitlists!

I am a reapplicant and this is my second year getting waitlisted but not at GW (last year at MCW). I think GW is a great fit for me and being waitlisted here is good and bad. Good because I felt a sense of hope after reading Diane's waitlist letter. It's only bad when I stress about it or build up an expectation only to be humbled when another week passes and still no word. Anyone else feel this rollercoaster effect? I must admit that there is a certain point where you start to think that the end result is out of your hands. Me personally, I just want to start my career and work towards being as good a doctor as I can be. I have wanted this without question for years now. Another year passes and I have not even started yet. Much love for GW but Darn those waitlists!

Hope for the best.
Plan for the worst.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I just withdrew from GW today. I hope that you guys get off the alternate list. Good luck :luck:. GW is a great school! I wish the best to all of you. Keep showing interest and don't give up! :)

-blkatki

blkatki, what med school are you going to instead? (just curious)