Going into medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medguy24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of people are telling me not to go into medicine for reasons other than "having an interest in medicine and wanting to care for patients"
And that I'm going to hate myself for going into medicine for other reasons..and that there are many better careers for what I'm looking for. So to all these people, my question is "what career is it that you know a) offers a high average salary with the potential to make a lot of money b) offers the amount of job stability medicine offers c) offers the prestige of being a doctor d) is a satisfying career, knowing when you go home everyday that you did something good today

If you can think of another career that offers all that, please let me know- because I've looked and I can't.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No one can answer this for you because every person is different. What you find fulfilling is different than what I will find to be fulfilling. What you consider prestigious is different than what I consider to be prestigious. A "high average salary" is dependent upon whatever your material expectations are for your life.

There's no way to answer this question for you. Do your own research and reflection and arrive at your own conclusions.

Do you have an interest for medicine or do you not have an interest in medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Prioritizing your list will give you a better idea of what you're looking for in a job.

You have an "interest in medicine" and "want to care for patients." There are other healthcare professions that have a more hands on approach to caring for patients. Physical therapy, nursing, etc... Instead of thinking about "why be a doctor?" think about "why not one of these?" And if your only reason for medicine is prestige and higher pay you are going to be in for a rude awakening when you figure out how much of a time commitment pre-med, med school, and actual practice (missing bdays, anniversarys, sports games, etc...) is. Reimbursement rates are dropping and malpractice insurance rates are rising so at the end of the day, money and prestige really isnt going to be enough to get you through

Reactions: 1 users
I think that OP's reasons for being a doctor over other healthcare professions are still valid. If you have a serious interest in medicine and want all of the great things that come from the career, along with the bad, I say go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing wrong with being logical. You'll be happy, IMO.

I have a college friend in psych who refers to all his male patients as "f###wad" or "numbnuts," and his female patients as, "f###able" or "paperbagger." He says it's to keep them anonymous, but he also says he hates them all, and enjoys being above them. If power was a good enough reason for adcoms to accept him, I don't see why a logical, economical reason would be worse. Of course, I wouldn't admit this in an application, even if anyone else in any other field would think of these as intelligent, well-thought-out reasons to pursue a field.

I would recommend talking to an economist or someone in a field other than the soft science of biology. They will make sense, and I'm sure would agree with you.