Golden Key Honor Society?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

crittergal

OkSU c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received an invitation to the Golden Key Honor Society. After doing some reading on the good ol' interweb, I'm fairly sure it is a scam and not worth my $80 membership fee.

Can anyone give me their $0.02 from personal experience whether it's a bunch of crap or actually helped them obtain scholarships or other benefits?
 
I received an invitation to the Golden Key Honor Society. After doing some reading on the good ol' interweb, I'm fairly sure it is a scam and not worth my $80 membership fee.

Can anyone give me their $0.02 from personal experience whether it's a bunch of crap or actually helped them obtain scholarships or other benefits?

I got the same impression about it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was in it. Maybe it depends on your school, but at mine the chapter had monthly meetings, did volunteer activities, typical honor society stuff. Wore something for it at graduation. Probably not worth the $80 when I look back at it, but if you need more extracurricular activities or honors/awards it doesn't hurt anything. I think I applied for one of their big scholarships but wasn't a finalist. Boo.
 
I'm in it, but it never cost me anything. Granted, I was invited to join 12 years ago -- things may have changed. My school had meetings and such, too, but I never attended. Right now, its only benefit is that it gives me a discount on my car insurance.
 
I think I've gotten letters from them (and other groups like them)...and promptly recycled them. The only honor society I accepted the invitation from was Phi Beta Kappa, and only because my mom was in it and was excited when they sent me a letter. And all PBK does is send me a newsletter, ask for money and try to sell me PBK merchandise. Save your money.
 
I was in golden key at my school and it was a great experience for me. That was mainly because we were very active in the community and did a lot of volunteering and fund raising events. If your campus's golden key is very active, and you plan to be involved, then I would definitely join. If its not, maybe you could see about changing that. If you are able to hold a position in the club and organize more club events, that would look great for your community service. As for academics, Golden key looks good on your apps, although being on the deans list for individual and consecutive quarters is probably more impressive.
 
I was in it. Maybe it depends on your school, but at mine the chapter had monthly meetings, did volunteer activities, typical honor society stuff. Wore something for it at graduation. Probably not worth the $80 when I look back at it, but if you need more extracurricular activities or honors/awards it doesn't hurt anything. I think I applied for one of their big scholarships but wasn't a finalist. Boo.

This. Our school had a chapter. No fees to be in the club, but invitation is only given to top 10% students, I believe. If it is $80, it is probably not worth it unless you intend to be an active member or have a title.
 
I'm in it. I had to pay $90 for my induction but so far it's been okay. I'm involved in the fundraising committee and we go out and do volunteer work in the city (homeless shelters, tutoring underprivileged children etc). They also have members-only seminars for interview tips for professional schools (useful because they taught me about the MMI style), and networking opportunities.
 
This thread has been interesting. I've been getting e-mails from Golden Key and I've been debating if I should join, but I wasn't sure if the benefits were really worth the $90. I'm going to save my money! Thanks everyone!
 
I'm the president of the chapter at OKSU and our chapter uses some of the membership fee to pay for monthly meetings at a local favorite pizza restaurant buffet style which normally costs $7 a person so after a year of membership, it pays for itself. We use the rest to give away two $500 scholarship awards and for the induction ceremony. We do lots of service activities around town and are currently hosting a big regional conference Feb 26-28. The organization is what you make of it. It looks really good on a resume and you can get some decent discounts on things if you know how to use the GK website right. I would do some research on what the chapter is like at your school before joining, because not all chapters are as active as ours is.
 
I was in it a few year ago. It did cost something (although I don't think it was $80) and we were pretty active in the community and had regular meetings. It was a small club, top 10% students were invited, and it looked good on resumes. We also gave away a scholarship every year. I thought it was worth it.