This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rvw6249

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for an app for my iPhone that disables Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat. I want to be able to access these apps during the evening, but not during the day while I should be studying. I'm sure everyone agrees that these apps are distracting, and like it or not, we are all a bit addicted and may have a hard time keeping them away. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can block these from my phone for only certain periods of time?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The most effective way - "delete"

A more realistic way - "airplane mode" during your study period

The most effective way - "delete"

A more realistic way - "airplane mode" during your study period

Thing is I actually use my phone in a lot of effective ways when I am studying, such as watching YouTube tutorials or using Wolfram Alpha, so I need to have my phone on and with me while I'm studying and not on airplane mode

If you're looking for a way to identify major time wasters, I'd recommend taking a look at Time Tracker, as it will give you a report of your biggest offenders.

In terms of actually blocking sites (and social media):

For Firefox, LeechBlock is you best bet. There are a lot of great features, such as blocking certain sites until a certain time of day, or you can initiate blocks of time that the sites aren't available. So if you're going to be studying for 2 hours, you can set a 2 hour block when Facebook won't be available.

For Chrome, StayFocused is going to be your top choice. It's a little simpler than LeechBlock, but has a lot of the same great features.

For Macs, Focus allows you to block websites and apps (such as iMessage) for given blocks of time. Very useful!

For Android Devices, FocusOn gives you a lot of these same great features.

For iOS devices, unfortunately Apple doesn't give developers the same options. One possibility is to turn on the child protection options at the beginning of every study session. This will allow you to block the offending apps or websites. While you can turn it off, you're much less likely to do so, because of the time involved. This will prevent the most common problems of mindless checking and notifications.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
What I did when studying is turn my phone off and I would also disable wifi on my laptop and other devices. After 50 minutes of studying I would allow myself 10 minutes to dick around and then go back to it. Give that a try.

There's a cool app that sets a timer and grows a tree when you don't use your phone called "Forest". Mind you that you can't close out of the app at all to answer texts, etc. or your tree dies. For me, the whole "gotta be good at everything" kicks in and I try to accumulate as many trees as possible to make a forest. It helped kick the habit of having my phone out while studying.

Oh, there is no app locker for iPhone I think, maybe you can find one in Cydia, and you have to jailbreak your device first.

Last edited:
Oh, there is no app locker for iPhone I think, maybe you can find one in Cydia, and you have to jailbreak your device first.
Why not give your passwords to a trusted friend, tell them to change them and not let you in until the MCAT is over. Or develop some self control.