This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoeticDoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!!!

I wanted to know how medical schools calculate the GPA of transfer students who attended schools with two different grading scales. My first school had the A/B scale and my current one has the A/A- scale. What's really confusing me is how I go by calculating my overall GPA from both schools. I need to know so I can have an understanding of where I am relative to other applicants.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Set up a spreadsheet. List the course, the number of units of credit (assuming both are semesters or both are quarters), and the letter grade. Now use a search and replace to convert A to 4.0, B to 3.0, A- to 3.7, B+ to 3.3 and so forth. Multiple the number of units of credit for the course by the numeric value of the grade earned for the course. That product is the grade points earned for that course. Sum the units of credit. Sum the grade points. Divide the grade points by the units to get the grade point average (GPA).