GPA From Community Colleges Considered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
I have read that the GPA earned in a community college is not transferred over to a university, but rather only the credits earned from individual classes are. Does this mean that the GPA earned at a community college is not considered at all by medical school adcoms? Will the overall GPA upon graduation from a university not account for that earned at the CC and only the GPA earned at the university? I am confused as to how med school adcoms view GPA if the one earned from a CC isn’t transferred at all, as I have read.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It is considered. They will combine your CC and uni GPAs.

Every course ever taken is recorded on your AMCAS application and factored into your GPA. AMCAS creates a grid of total GPA, science GPA and non-science GPA (labeled BCPM for Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math and AO for all other) by year including courses taken during high school, year 1 (or ~30 credits if you attended part-time), year 2, year 3, everything after year 3 but before the bachelor's was awarded, undergrad courses taken after the bachelor's degree was awarded (post-bac), and graduate courses taken after the bachelor's was awarded. There is a sum total undergraduate GPA for all undergraduate coursework including HS, college and post-bac.

Reactions: 1 user
I have read that the GPA earned in a community college is not transferred over to a university, but rather only the credits earned from individual classes are.
1) Does this mean that the GPA earned at a community college is not considered at all by medical school adcoms?
2) Will the overall GPA upon graduation from a university not account for that earned at the CC and only the GPA earned at the university?
3) I am confused as to how med school adcoms view GPA if the one earned from a CC isn’t transferred at all, as I have read.
1) No, this is not correct. All grades earned after high school are considered by med school adcomms

2) Your graduation GPA will only reflect the grades you earned at the university, not those earned at the CC, since the grades did not transfer.

3) You are obliged to submit an original transcript from every college attended to the med school application service. All those grades will be recalculated together by the policies of the application service to generate your application GPAs. This GPA will not be the same as your college GPA.