GWU vs. Jeff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteorgo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, so i know there's threads regarding this, but since GWU recently got off probation and things probably changed since the last thread made, i wanted to hear other people's opinion, regarding area, school rep, hospital.... etc. Thanks alot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, so i know there's threads regarding this, but since GWU recently got off probation and things probably changed since the last thread made, i wanted to hear other people's opinion, regarding area, school rep, hospital.... etc. Thanks alot!

Are you interested in research at all? GWU is pretty blunt about basically admitting they don't do any research. Jeff isn't a high ranked research university, but they do have a lot of programs/opportunities to do some basic science/clinical stuff if you're interested. This is pretty much required for competitive residencies.

i'm not really interested in research at all, but i never thought about the importance of research for residencies at the same time.. so is it strongly recommended to do some kind of research in med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe its proximity to the NIH should still provide an opportunity to be involved in research. I am interested in responses to this thread because I am also considering these schools.

Keep posting responses please :)

I'd choose Jefferson, it's a real good school. GWU blows.

I'd choose Jefferson, it's a real good school. GWU blows.

These are all personal opinions. I didn't interview at GWU.

I think Philly >> DC in terms of a student friendly, affordable city that's fun to live in. I'm not sure of GWU's grading system....but Jeff is P/F/Honors (with Honors cut off just being a 90% on an exam, rather than a curve...so anyone can get it). It's not competitive there.

Jeff has a huge alumni network, which is really helpful in applying for residency programs...because the directors have seen a lot of Jeff grads.

I know little about GWU other than the fact that they've recently been placed on probation, they have little on-campus research (and it isn't necessarily encouraged), and that they have very long hours in class 9-5 everyday. My friend goes there though, and loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.