Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey everyone, just looking for a little insight. I got into HMS New Pathways and I'm really excited about it; however, I want to check out all the other schools I got into also just to be thorough. So my question is this:

For residency placements, how do they divide up applicants? Do they consider all the top 10 schools to be about the same, or they differentiate more than that?

Thanks!:)

WhizoMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

i thought this was an appropriate follow up :D

Nevadanteater

biochemical engine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical

Hopping on board.

C'mon dude(ette). Columbia vs Harvard? You're gonna have great opportunites whichever you choose, go where you'll be happier and (thus) be more likely to do well in school.

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2007
Ischioanal fossa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey everyone, just looking for a little insight. I got into HMS New Pathways and I'm really excited about it; however, I want to check out all the other schools I got into also just to be thorough. So my question is this:

For residency placements, how do they divide up applicants? Do they consider all the top 10 schools to be about the same, or they differentiate more than that?

Go to Hopkins instead...

Whether or not it is warranted, HMS is in a league of its own.
If your concern is residency go there.

Appless

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
threads like this make me worry about our future profession and my future classmates lol. I mean seriously is this a real question? You sound somewhat like you care about prestige above all so id go harvard. In truth both schools are going to give you everything you would want as far as residency and all that. Do well at harvard you will match where you want, do well at columbia same applies. Id base my decision on location, financial aid, and thats about it. You cant go wrong with either decision. Id personally take harvard only becuase i dislike NY in general.

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
threads like this make me worry about our future profession and my future classmates lol. I mean seriously is this a real question? You sound somewhat like you care about prestige above all so id go harvard. In truth both schools are going to give you everything you would want as far as residency and all that. Do well at harvard you will match where you want, do well at columbia same applies. Id base my decision on location, financial aid, and thats about it. You cant go wrong with either decision. Id personally take harvard only becuase i dislike NY in general.
This.

It could have been a legitimate question, until you barfed out this:

JoshUNCW

Comp Sci Geek
Nov 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Status
Pre-Medical

jturkel

7+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

neither. Ross or some other caribbean school. much better residency opportunities can be realized going to schools there.

Jan 26, 2010
Providence, RI
Status
Medical Student
I knew there was a reason I hated the Blue Devils (Duke sux).

Seriously, BlueDevilMed?

Jul 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Why didn't you simply title your thread as: "Hey Guys look! I got into Harvard AND Columbia! Isn't this cool?!!?!" instead?

Phail.

Really was just looking for insight. Seen a million people posting decisions between schools. Considering lots of things in deciding where to go but residency was one of them.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Really was just looking for insight. Seen a million people posting decisions between schools. Considering lots of things in deciding where to go but residency was one of them.
Considering Columbia and Johns Hopkins are Harvard's two biggest drains on matriculants, I think its a pretty reasonable question to ask C vs H. I would strongly encourage you to go where you are going to be happiest. Come to both second looks if you can. Consider where you want to live or where you think you want to go to residency (location wise). Neither is going to hold you back for residency and I wouldn't try to work out which is better for which specialties.

Dec 2, 2009
Status
bleargh, Elijah05, metallica81788, MiniMoo, DuckFook, and Jihad:

I find your lack of tact and inability to appreciate another (highly accomplished) applicant's understandable concern not only distasteful and insensitive but downright pathetic. Whereas BlueDevilMed's post was none of these things, nor was it insulting or condescending, your posts were, largely, all of the above.

BlueDevilMed:

I hope that you will ignore each of these posters' responses. I don't have an answer to your question, and in fact am wondering something similar. Exactly how important is rank in selecting a school? Congratulations on your impressive accomplishments, and hopefully someone with even a marginal interest in helping you will respond here.

Appless

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status

I find your lack of tact and inability to appreciate another (highly accomplished) applicant's understandable concern not only distasteful and insensitive but downright pathetic. Whereas BlueDevilMed's post was none of these things, nor was it insulting or condescending, your posts were, largely, all of the above.

BlueDevilMed:

I hope that you will ignore each of these posters' responses. I don't have an answer to your question, and in fact am wondering something similar. Exactly how important is rank in selecting a school? Congratulations on your impressive accomplishments, and hopefully someone with even a marginal interest in helping you will respond here.
Its a somewhat ridic question to ask. Hes in at 2 of the best schools in the country...hes essentially asking, if i choose columbia is my career going to suck? Its an insane question. Both schools are top ranked and give an excellent education. Both place students at their top residency positions consistantly. Whether you are interested in internal medicine, academic medicine, or trauma surgery all are amazing. Heres what all these threads come down too..

1) Money - does it matter to you yes or no. Look at the financials
2) location - do you hate NYC? do you hate boston? Do you hate the cold? Etc etc
3) prestige - this guy seems to care about that alot. Theres going to be a very marginal difference in his residency options regardless of where he goes. If he honors his 3rd year, does well on step 1, and gets good LOR (both schools can offer this too him if he has the intiative) then hes going to likely get what he wants regardless.
4) cirriculum - do you like a ton of pbl, more standard, how do the 2 differ? A better question to ask maybe how the 3rd year rotations and beyond are set up. Do you get a lot of hands on experience, does the school tend to produce students that are more ready to hit the ground running intern year? What about away or intl rotations. However no pre med is probably going to know this. Another reason threads like this are not always the most helpful. The students with most insight M3-M4 arent answering.
5) gut feeling - wth did you feel like when there. Will you be happy for 4 years?

The question of which school gets you a better residency between these two is honestly a useless one. The reason these threads are somewhat useless as basically the OP typically wants to show off their success (which is fine) or basically wants people to agree with a decision they have already made. There is taht "helpful" enough. I just outlined the 5 thigns that are talked about in EVERY SINGLE thread ever made like this. ;)

Also just on another note its of very little importance what school you went to as far as residency directors are often concerned. Its more like have they had good experiences with med students from that school. Some ivies believe it or not do not always have the best reputations of producing the best clinicians and intern ready people. If residency director Smith has had several succesful students who are good interns from school X and only bad experiences with school Y, regardless of prestige hes likely to take a harder look at those from school X.

Last edited:

jerew

10+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow, I can't believe that just happened (wait, I guess I can given SDN's track record). But seriously, why does everyone gang up on someone asking a legitimate question? I don't know what it is about the big H throws everyone into a frenzy. We ALL have questions about applying and choosing schools, and this is a big choice! I could explain *why* this occurs, but I think we all know the answer to that!

I couldn't imagine that there is a noticeable difference between C and H in residency placement. I did notice that H had a particularly large and strong match in Derm and Rad Onc. Columbia is particularly well known in pysch and neuro I believe. Stuff to think about. Of course, the curriculum is very different. My preference went HST, Columbia, NP.

The other big thing was the Columbia P&S club. I think it's great for more art-oriented people, and I think they attract a lot of these. I'm less drawn to that sort of thing, and felt like I would be out of place in that environment. I'm more of a BBQ and watch sports type of person myself. To each his own.

Would be great to see you at H!

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Apparently nobody actually read my post. :thumbup:

It is a legit question, but when the part about which ranking would be better for residency placement came in, it illicited all of these responses.

I understand that someone with this decision to make may need some help deciding, but the rankings and prestige (when they're this close together at the top of the list) for residency is a bit excessive.

eeeeee

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
May 31, 2009
Status
I'm deciding between Johns Hopkins and Columbia (sort of a similar situation), and have been getting as much info as I can from students/residents at both schools. PM me if you want to chat about it!

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The other big thing was the Columbia P&S club. I think it's great for more art-oriented people, and I think they attract a lot of these. I'm less drawn to that sort of thing, and felt like I would be out of place in that environment. I'm more of a BBQ and watch sports type of person myself. To each his own.
To be fair, Columbia has the best rugby team of any grad school and we just beat one of the NYC semi-pro teams last weekend. There's lots of sporty and artsty people at Columbia and a lot that do both. I probably just tainted your view during your visit because I definitely lean more artsy than sportsy :D. Any who, I can't say much about Harvard's matching, but surgical sub-specialties, neuro, and psych are definitely Columbia's territory. Which is not to say we are bad at other things, its just that Columbia is pretty ridiculous when it comes to surgical sub-specialties (14 in ortho and 7 in neurosurg as well as a bunch in the mixed specialties like ENT and Optho this year) and the brain in general.

Sep 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Allow me to summarize these threads.

Question: Should I go to school 1 or school 2?

Response1: Go to school 1. It has a higher usnews ranking, and so you'll get a better residency and make more money and have a more attractive spouse.
Response2: Go to school 2 because I go there/I was accepted there so it is better.
Response3: stop bragging. go away.

Dec 17, 2009
Status
MD/PhD Student
I've met the OP in real life--he was extremely kind and sincere in his interest in medicine. Ganging up on him just because he asked a question that is of serious concern to him is pretty poor behavior. When you're making HUGE life decisions like this, it's not absurd to ask for advice, because if you make a decision now that just ends up making life harder down the road, there's no way to fix it.

In general, you never really know what's going on in someone else's life. It's a good rule of thumb to just cut people some slack.

Last edited:

medballer2010

10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Personally, I would go to Harvard. Ive talked to alot of med students and it seems that overall Hopkins, Columbia, and Michigan seem to the toughest/most malignant programs in the country. Yes, medical school is very tough regardless of where you go and all are great programs but you can have a more enjoyable experience at one school versus another. If you like a little more high stress environment, then maybe Columbia is the place for you. This is just the overall sentiment I have gotten, dont take this is as fact, ask around for yourself.

Wow, I can't believe that just happened (wait, I guess I can given SDN's track record). But seriously, why does everyone gang up on someone asking a legitimate question? I don't know what it is about the big H throws everyone into a frenzy. We ALL have questions about applying and choosing schools, and this is a big choice! I could explain *why* this occurs, but I think we all know the answer to that!

I couldn't imagine that there is a noticeable difference between C and H in residency placement. I did notice that H had a particularly large and strong match in Derm and Rad Onc. Columbia is particularly well known in pysch and neuro I believe. Stuff to think about. Of course, the curriculum is very different. My preference went HST, Columbia, NP.

Would be great to see you at H!
Match lists are very important to look at IMO, but its just like alot of research in that it can be deceiving data, you have to do some investigating upon getting a match list. At first look at Harvard's match list, you would see 13 students getting in to derm which is crazy impressive but what I heard was that in fact 26 kids applied. 13 kids not matching??? Could you imagine going to HMS and then having to scramble, derm match is a true beast.

Believe it or not, your heart is probably already leaning towards one school and unless the financial situation is drastically different, follow the heart, you cant lose.

FutureDoc17

10+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
What interests you? I think, financial aid and all else held equal, it would be reasonable for most to lean towards but HMS, but I can see Columbia getting the nod for two reasons in particular:

1. If you're interested in international development, what better school that Columbia to study under folks like Jeffrey Sachs and Joseph Stiglitz?

2. I hear Columbia P&S is the place to be for prospective neurosurgeons.

But in the end, you're golden wherever you choose. You were able to get this far - what's to stop you come residency time?

Bbon

5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Apparently nobody actually read my post. :thumbup:

It is a legit question, but when the part about which ranking would be better for residency placement came in, it illicited all of these responses.

I understand that someone with this decision to make may need some help deciding, but the rankings and prestige (when they're this close together at the top of the list) for residency is a bit excessive.
This. 100%. Let's not be confused and think this was in response to a normal Columbia vs. Harvard thread, which would've been perfectly reasonable.

And Jesus people, a few posters put pictures of animals making funny faces that said "srsly" on them. They weren't excessively disparaging or abrasive. Let's not be so sensitive. I was laughing and nodding my head the entire time. I don't think you can come up with a more appropriate response to this question than "seriously?"

Hoody

Removed
Jul 1, 2009
Status
Harvard HST > Columbia

Columbia > Harvard NP

....so I'd go Columbia :thumbup:

d1ony5u5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
somewhere
Status
Medical Student
I agree with metallica. OP may have good reasons for this question, but ending the post with the residency part just screams there's something wrong...

Call me a basher, but how insecure/clueless do you have to be to not know the answer to the question about residencies? Did the OP find those acceptances in a box of cereal? He certainly did not do his pre-med homework.

jerew

10+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with metallica. OP may have good reasons for this question, but ending the post with the residency part just screams there's something wrong...

Call me a basher, but how insecure/clueless do you have to be to not know the answer to the question about residencies? Did the OP find those acceptances in a box of cereal? He certainly did not do his pre-med homework.
I'll take you up on that, basher! It is clear that in HMS vs. Al's College of Medicine, Taxidermy and Hair Weaving, there will be a clear advantage to applying for top residencies from HMS. What about HMS and Wake Forest, or HMS and Vanderbilt or HMS and Columbia? Where does it start to be a wash? I would believe the line was before Columbia, but it isn't *obvious* to me, and as someone who has done a *lot* of homework, I think it's a fair Q.

OP: I've been thinking about this myself, when looking at top 20 schools vs. top 3. I think with *everything* equal, pulling for a rare neurosurgery slot at Partners (Harv) or UCSF would probably be more tractable from a top 10ish school. However, I think C and H both fit into that category. And if you're looking for a great IM residency, probably anything about top 20 is a wash anyway. In short, I don't think even for hyper competitive spots it will matter. The only thing that could be a factor is if you would rather have a spot in BWH, MGH, or BID, or if you'd rather stay in NYP. If you knew that battle (mostly an NYC vs Boston battle), then that could matter as far as residency placement. Otherwise, wash.

That said, come to BOSTON!!!!!!

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think you're going to find much from the match lists because they're going to be based on preference. Generally there's not much difference, but Columbia has a pretty strong pipeline into Barrow if that's a program you're interested in.

As far as environment goes, I'd have to agree to a certain degree about Columbia's environment, I think HMS is a little more relaxed place to go to med school. That was one of the reasons I didn't really give P&S that much consideration. That said, with the new curriculum and all, things might change a bit.

As far as location goes... is it easier to match into MGH/BW/BI etc from Harvard as opposed to NYP from Columbia? Honestly, I don't think it'd make all that much difference. You might have a slight advantage being at the home institution, but with aways, connections, etc, it's probably almost a wash if it isn't one. That said, anyone who'd like to do res in NYC with the nurse situation...

Jul 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

BlueDevilMed:

No, there is nothing wrong or "pathetic" with teasing someone like this, regardless of whether you believe it to be "insensitive".

Last edited:

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've got to say that I don't know where this supposed reputation for being stressed and put through hell is coming from. Columbia, of all the schools I interviewed at, was easily the most relaxed. 3rd and 4th year rotations are most definitely not malignant. We have pass fail UNRANKED pre-clinicals, we have dozens of non-interest group clubs (as well as interest groups), we have a freaking acting troupe that performs three times a year, etc, etc. I just don't see how people can acknowledge the P&S club and at the same time think that Columbia is a tooth pulling experience. How could we possibly be as involved in things as we are here if all we were so terribly fearful of flunking out of our medical school? Quite honestly, if I had to pick a negative stereotype for Columbia it would be the exact opposite of the uber stressed medical student.

MBHockey

10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2008
NYC
Status
Medical Student
Don't mean to derail the thread, but does anyone have a link to that list of factors that residencies look at when choosing applicants? I remember seeing it on here recently but can't find it.

OP, if it helps at all, that list had GPA/class rank and board scores atop the list while prestige of your medical school was down around 8 IIRC. Congrats by the way...that's an awesome predicament to be in!

BubbaChuck3

7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Don't mean to derail the thread, but does anyone have a link to that list of factors that residencies look at when choosing applicants? I remember seeing it on here recently but can't find it.

OP, if it helps at all, that list had GPA/class rank and board scores atop the list while prestige of your medical school was down around 8 IIRC. Congrats by the way...that's an awesome predicament to be in!
Here goes that article you were talking about http://journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/Fulltext/2009/03000/Selection_Criteria_for_Residency__Results_of_a.24.aspx

OP, it absolutely doesn't matter where you go as far as residencies are concerned. I have a couple friends at HMS and 1 friend at Columbia and I have no doubt (and they have no doubt) that they will get the #1 residency choice they desire. Will what they want be as competitive as the others probably not but that is personal preference. Like everyone else has said Harvard matches 50% of people in Boston if that is of any concern to you. So just from that it seems like there is a huge preference to stay in Boston once you are there. I'm not familiar with the Columbia match but it seems to be like that at every school where a good chunk of people stay at their respective hospitals.

The only thing that I can think of that distinguishes Harvard and Columbia medschool is perceived prestige. The training at each institution is most likely comparable and I'm sure there are schools that train better clinicians and researchers than those two. But Harvard gives you instant world wide recognition that can be used on a global scale. It is considered the best institution in the WORLD for whatever that is worth. And it is clearly something that follows you for life. This is most likely the reason why the school has the largest retention rate in the country 19 years running. My current PI at Hopkins who is no slouch himself was giddy when he heard I got an interview to big H and did not hesitate to tell all his colleagues like he was some sort of proud parent. He described Harvard as hands down the most prestigious academic institution in the world. My buddies at HMS also described the school similarly saying "It is a school so prestigious that the students are embarrassed to say that they go there" lol. And I'll add my caveat again this does not mean you will be happier there, more successful there or have a better experience there at all. These are just the facts that I gathered over time. It is a hell of an accomplishment to even be considering both of those options. It's a tough choice but you just can't go wrong either way.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think it's a little bit disingenuous to say you will get your first choice residency regardless of what it is, it's definitely going to help you but there's also going to be a good deal of self selection so as to determine what you're competitive for. That said, I don't think the school will make much difference at that point.

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Dont let teh sarcasm get to you.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking prestige.
And I didnt notice a scent of arrogance in your post.
You are making an extremely valid point.

I dont have the credentials to this, but I have been told, that HMS and JHU applicants are placed on an entirely different pile during residency interviews. This might be a slight exagerration, but I doubt anyone would bet against a less intense version of that.

lightseizure

5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2009
Status
I don't think you're going to find much from the match lists because they're going to be based on preference. Generally there's not much difference, but Columbia has a pretty strong pipeline into Barrow if that's a program you're interested in.

As far as environment goes, I'd have to agree to a certain degree about Columbia's environment, I think HMS is a little more relaxed place to go to med school. That was one of the reasons I didn't really give P&S that much consideration. That said, with the new curriculum and all, things might change a bit.

As far as location goes... is it easier to match into MGH/BW/BI etc from Harvard as opposed to NYP from Columbia? Honestly, I don't think it'd make all that much difference. You might have a slight advantage being at the home institution, but with aways, connections, etc, it's probably almost a wash if it isn't one. That said, anyone who'd like to do res in NYC with the nurse situation...
Agreed with mmmcdowe. Where are you getting this gossip that Columbia is a stressful place? I'm interested.

lightseizure

5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2009
Status
Because you can take classes at Julliard. :love:
Do you mean that there's some sort of formal support for Columbia students at Julliard, or just that Julliard's close enough for a med student to trek over there if he wants to?

johncalvin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
If you're shooting for competitive residencies, go to HMS. There's no AOA, so slightly less pressure...but what do I know?

ElegantWeapon

MS3
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2009
The place is here. The time is now.
Status
Medical Student
Personally, I would go to Harvard. Ive talked to alot of med students and it seems that overall Hopkins, Columbia, and Michigan seem to the toughest/most malignant programs in the country. Yes, medical school is very tough regardless of where you go and all are great programs but you can have a more enjoyable experience at one school versus another. If you like a little more high stress environment, then maybe Columbia is the place for you. This is just the overall sentiment I have gotten, dont take this is as fact, ask around for yourself.
I think what medballer2010 is saying is-only go to Columbia if you are a hardcore [email protected]@$$$...otherwise go have a color as your team mascot

JK :p Good Luck with your (very nice) decision to have to make

Mar 18, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I also don't get where this thing about Hopkins/Columbia/Michigan being malignant is coming from. Doesn't Michigan have a reputation for the happiest, most well looked after students? From the stuff they keep sending me, the number of students who volunteered to be there during interview day, and the friendliness of everyone, I think Michigan is far from being a malignant place to learn. Hopkins and Columbia probably have that reputation just because until fairly recently, they both still had a grading system. The only school I've heard negative things about when it comes to time in the wards is actually Harvard. I've heard that medical students there don't get a lot of hands on experience because everyone else higher up on the ladder is striving to perfect their own techniques. And Harvard medical students, for good or for worse, are largely left to their own devices during the preclinical and clinical years. I've heard complaints of PBL being a google and blind leading the blind fest. I'm sure this is a good thing for building up problem solving and teamwork skills. But this might be one factor to keep in mind about HMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.