Has anyone heard from VMRCVM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah Blackat, I really hope Penn pulls through for you.

I've still got nothin from VMRCVM:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Straight up rejected. Oh well. Guess I can plan better for next year's cycle now that I've been through one.

Are they trying to kill me before I even start vet school???

read: COMEEE ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Mama- i'm really sorry to hear that..I guess they're pretty busy right now, but have you thought about contacting the school to see how you might improve for next year? That could prevent you from wasting time/energy/money trying to improve upon the wrong things.

Did you apply anywhere else this cycle?

Are they trying to kill me before I even start vet school???

read: COMEEE ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Are you in the later part of the alphabet? I am and I'm still waiting... I'm just lucky I have a little break between classes to keep refreshing my email!

I'm smackdab in the middle 'M' Hmm, didn't even think about that..

Mama- i'm really sorry to hear that..I guess they're pretty busy right now, but have you thought about contacting the school to see how you might improve for next year? That could prevent you from wasting time/energy/money trying to improve upon the wrong things.

Did you apply anywhere else this cycle?

The email says that I can request a summary of strengths and weaknesses starting May 1. I did not apply anywhere else this time.

I've never been so nervous to open an e-mail in my life....Well, I'm on the waiting list again.....:D. Does anyone know how many OOS applicants are on the waiting list? What are the chances of being accepted once on the waiting list? For those of you waitlisted, did they give you a ranking? Just wondering if I still have a chance. BTW, last name starts with "M" and I interviewed Friday at noon.

Last edited:
Yayyyyy i'm sure you are all just as excited as I am. I can't wait to be future classmates!

alternate as well :(....do you have any idea how many alternates they chose?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations pigsrock, dickvet, and flipflopper!!!!! You should be excited!!:D

Congrats everyone who got accepted! This was my first acceptance so it's just so great to know I'll be going somewhere to vet school in the fall!

Keep your head up those of you on the waiting list! I think OOS wait lists go pretty fast!

I'm waiting to hear from my IS school in March, so someone may be getting my spot then!!

Congratulations pigsrock, dickvet, and flipflopper!!!!! You should be excited!!:D

I second that! Congrats to everyone who was accepted!! :D
I am waitlisted... not the most ideal, but that means I still have a chance. It also means that I am one step closer than I was last year!!

As far as the questions about ranking and how many that VMRCVM tends to take from the alternate list, the answers are 1) they don't disclose the ranks, even once you are in the accepted pool to keep the field even. They believe that if you know how you ranked compared to other students that it breeds contension. 2) The number of students to come off waitlisting varies every year based on the number of seats that are turned down. Most years I think they get to number 3 or so, some years more, some years less. Being waitlisted and not knowing a rank order is frustrating as a VMRCVM alternate. This is my 5th(!!!) app to VMRCVM so I am quite familiar with their methods, but don't quote me on the information. It is just what I remember from previous information sessions and what I have heard Joyce talk about at previous interviews.

Good luck to everyone, like myself, who is either still waiting to hear or hoping to come off the waitlist! :):xf::luck:

I am super excited... I opened my email when I was sitting waiting for a class to start and definitely had an "eeek!" moment in front of everyone...

As far as the waiting list goes, last year they only enrolled 29 Maryland residents instead of 30... I guess they went through the waiting list and ran out? Who knows...

For those of you that were disappointed with the interview day, I think they might have showed us more and let us talk with more students if they weren't worried about the snow. My student tour guide person went to Tech as an undergrad and she was telling us interesting facts and stories and stuff. But I do think VMRCVM is awesome and I'm sorry if you guys were disappointed.

Congrats to everyone who got in!

Alternate here, too. I don't know whether to be happy that I wasn't flat-out rejected or just resigned about even more waiting. :hungover: Drkitty, thanks for the info.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the tour and the fact that we didn't get to see the classrooms. My student ambassador was pretty enthusiastic, though, and a couple other vet students came to our table and chatted for a while during lunch.

Congrats to everyone who got in!

Alternate here, too. I don't know whether to be happy that I wasn't flat-out rejected or just resigned about even more waiting. :hungover: Drkitty, thanks for the info.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the tour and the fact that we didn't get to see the classrooms. My student ambassador was pretty enthusiastic, though, and a couple other vet students came to our table and chatted for a while during lunch.

ughh i dont understand, we are both great applicants. not to boost our ego lol but seriously! i bet you 100 bucks it was cuz we are lacking points in our gpa category. i think they said 50% of our total points come from stats. GRR. good luck with the rest of your schools! :) who knows...maybe by a miracle we will both get off the alternate list

Do they even send rejections to OOS applicants at this point? Seems like we all were "fortunate" enough to make the waitlist if we interviewed.:rolleyes: I bet there are like 50 people on the OOS waiting list, as 15/65 got in...

congrats to everyone who got an offer!

I too am an alternate. I am trying to keep my chin up: this is my first year of applying, and I only applied to two schools!

I agree that it is frustrating being an alternate. I have a lease up in March, and if I don't have an acceptance by then, I have no idea what to do! Month-to-month leases are so much more expensive...

I just got an e-mail about prospective student weekend. Anyone going? I don't think I can make the morning things, but Pie with Professors sounds neat!

I went to the Open House last year and they had some really cool things going on. I'll definitely be there. :D

ughh i dont understand, we are both great applicants. not to boost our ego lol but seriously! i bet you 100 bucks it was cuz we are lacking points in our gpa category. i think they said 50% of our total points come from stats. GRR. good luck with the rest of your schools! :) who knows...maybe by a miracle we will both get off the alternate list
Sorry, can't believe I missed this. Have fun at Penn!

Do you think the prospective students weekend includes those who haven't made up their mind yet? I was really hoping that I would be decided by then, but I have some questions and maybe that would be a good time to have some answered.

And Eventualeventer--last year they did go through the entire MD waitlist, I think. Good luck @ Davis! when is that?

Anyone living near the DC area interested in carpooling to the perspectives students weekend? If so PM me

I was trying to figure out if the prospective weekend was actually aimed more towards those of us who ARE going to go, or those who are still trying to make up their minds. I'll have to see if I can take off the time in the morning, but I'd like to attend a class on Friday the 26th and then go for the open house on the 27th. If anyone would like to meet up, maybe we could set a time and place?

I would think it would be open to everyone that got an acceptance. I got an invite to the weekend, I have not sent in a deposit, and I have not decided on which school to attend. If it was aimed only at students who had sent in deposits, I think it would most likely be after April 15th.

I'll definitely go to both days if possible.

The weekend is geared at any students who have been offered an acceptance - not just those who have paid deposits.

I was actually thinking it would be geared more towards people who HADN'T paid their deposits and were still deciding on what school to go to ("prospective"). I still plan on going to have some fun that weekend though :) Will be nice to see some of the current students!

And I still have some mini *squee* going on :)

:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
Bumping this up--anybody else coming to Blacksburg this weekend?

I'll be there--I'm not coming from very far, obviously :laugh:.

Same here! Either of you going to be at the evening cookout?

Whoa! I got a call from Joyce this morning!

I just got offered a spot! Which I am TOTALLY taking :)
(I was a MD alternate.)

Wish I could make it for the BBQ this weekend, but 6 hours is a long drive for a BBQ! (I live in Baltimore)

Looking forward to meet you all!

YAYYY glad the spot went to someone who needed it!!! congrats!! :D

Yay Veracosa!!! It's okay to not come this weekend, we'll have more than enough time to meet our classmates at Orientation (I'm kinda dreading it already... I'm not really a touchy-feely kind of person.)

I'm not going to the BBQ but I'm going to the Pie thing on Friday afternoon and Open House on Saturday. Should be pretty nice weather so we can show everyone that it doesn't snow ALL the time in Blacksburg... Just a lot of the time!

Silly question--
What should we wear if we are going to classes tomorrow? I'm thinking maybe khakis, but am not sure. I know it's silly, but I'm still worrying about it just a little bit.

Gilch - VMRCVM is pretty relaxed in terms of clothing. If you want, khakis or jeans and a polo are fine. TBH you could wear a regular shirt and no one would really care. I have been in the hospital or labs for the last 10 months so I haven't seen what thye all are wearing nowadays lol but we always were relaxed when we were in classes.

Ha! I totally wasn't even thinking about what to wear. I've gotta rush to change out of my scrubs and dash over to the commons before the class anyhow, so it didn't even occur to me to wear something "nice".

Thanks! I didn't think it was a "dress to impress" sort of occasion, but it's good to have confirmation.

So, I didn't meet as many 2014ers as I had hoped, but I talked with some very nice current students and professors... It has finally started to sink in that I'm going to vet school next year... I don't know why it took so long!

Now I'm in my "list-making" phase... Furniture, supplies, class notes, rabies shots, parking pass, season football ticket... This is getting expensive!!!

Well, don't get too crazy on the furniture and supplies quite yet. A bunch of students will be moving in the next few months and you'll either be able to buy or dumpster dive a lot of what you need :) As for the rest of it...It'll all come!

I'm disappointed I didn't get to meet a whole lot of 2014ers either, but I had a ton of fun in the classroom and at the BBQ on Sat!

I know you guys probly got the housing announcements, but one of them was for the place I am currently living (just thought I'd throw that out there) - the very pet friendly singlewide 2br mobile home on over 2 fenced acres. Have any q's, hit me up, I'd be happy to answer. And if ya like to hike, I can tell you where to go, too! :) I have lived in the 'burg for 8 years so I know it pretty well.

Well, don't get too crazy on the furniture and supplies quite yet. A bunch of students will be moving in the next few months and you'll either be able to buy or dumpster dive a lot of what you need :)

I know there are a lot of great deals... A couple of my friends furnished most of their apartment with stuff from the YMCA store and it looks great. The problem is that the best time to get stuff is when people are leaving Blacksburg in May. My lease doesn't start til the end of July so I wouldn't have anywhere to put the stuff til then.

The good news is that my roommate for next year has living/dining room stuff already so I mostly just need bedroom stuff.

I know you guys probly got the housing announcements, but one of them was for the place I am currently living (just thought I'd throw that out there) - the very pet friendly singlewide 2br mobile home on over 2 fenced acres. Have any q's, hit me up, I'd be happy to answer. And if ya like to hike, I can tell you where to go, too! :) I have lived in the 'burg for 8 years so I know it pretty well.

I've already signed my lease for next year, but thanks. I live in Blacksburg now so I know a lot of nice places to hike, too, but I don't like hiking... It's too easy to break my ankle or something... I haven't even been to the Cascades!

I haven't even been to the Cascades!

Appalling! Shocking! It must be rectified!

:)

I also had a great time and did not get to meet as many 2014s as I would have liked. The 2013s were really friendly though...

For anyone else who is moving in a few weeks before class, Stepping Out is a must. It's the very best hippie street fair in the world (okay...I'm biased)! You never knew that tye dye socks were a must have before, did you :p?

I'm in debate as to whether or not to stay where I am next year. I finally officially have everything moved in and settled, but I kind of hate one of my roommates. Theoretically she'll only be here for another year, but do I want to put up with her? I'm not sure.

Plus I need to find a place that would allow my dogs. I'm just not sure what to do.