MD & DO Has anyone heard of a Master's program to get into Med School with low MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missy2918

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a video on Youtube about someone getting into Med School by doing a biomedical Master's program (taking the same exact 1st year Med School classes) at that particular medical school.

Video Here -

What are the chances of getting in with such program ? Any others with similar experience or know of any similar programs in other other states ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This happens at my school all the time, and with other DO schools. I have yet to see any of my SMP students get into an MD school with a less than stellar MCAT score.

Of the SDNers who reinvent themselves and get into MD schools, they all have MCATs of 513+. Some state schools seem to be more lenient for thier own ISers...so a 510 should work for your own state school.

Reactions: 1 user
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic in Pennsylvania does this and Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (Virginia campus). LECOM is much less competitive as they require you to maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout the post-bacc BUT be aware that they only guarantee an interview, NOT an acceptance. I'm sure if you went in with at least their minimum MCAT requirement, passed all classes, and stayed above that 3.0, you'd more than likely get into their DO program unless you're an absolutely awful interviewer and have practically no social skills. I think they "want" to accept you at that point. VCOM is a bit more competitive requiring that you maintain a 3.6 GPA throughout the post-bacc. If it were my decision, I'd personally suck it up and try to get into VCOM's post-bass even with it being a bit more rigorous just because we've all heard some crazy things about LECOM. But to each his own, of course! I hope this helps a bit. Do some research on the two!

Reactions: 1 user