Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been searching the old threads about the TX Academic Fresh Start Program and cannot find many personal experiences about the program.
For those who do not know, TX developed a program about 10 years ago that allows for TX residents to make a "fresh start" with a clean slate on their GPA for coursework taken 10+ years ago. The catch: this is an all or nothing deal, meaning all pre-req's, not just "expired" science courses will need to be repeated and the student will need a minimum of 90 hours of new coursework before admission into a professional or grad school.
I am strongly considering this option and I would love to hear from a few others that have contemplated making this decision or even better, students and/or dr's that have taken this route.
My history in brief: I graduated with a bs in animal science from Texas A&M in 1999 w/a craptacular 2.29 GPA. Needless to say, I am quite ashamed of my academic performance from years ago. Although my GPA did not reflect it, my intentions were to go to vet school. I didn't bother applying. I seriously considered SGU vet school in Grenada (they were still brand new then), but realized the financial burden that I would have after graduation. I went to a vet tech school instead to become a registered vet tech.
After working in the field for the past 8 years, I truly love what I do. However, there is a piece of me (big chunk actually) that still wants to be the doctor, not just the tech. I've been at an awesome specialty practice for 5 years and every summer a new crop of eager interns start and I always think that could have been me, and still can be me. I'm ready to take the plunge and pursue my dream with a much stronger conviction than before. 10 years after graduation I am much more mature, focused and confident, I know I can do anything once I set my mind to it.
So this leaves me with a few options:
1) Take a year of upper level science courses to prove to the admissions committee at SGU that I can do the work (their advice), accept the $117K for tuition (not including books, living expences, etc), possibly lose a really great boyfriend in the process, be about $250K in debt upon graduation w/a hopeful salary of $80-100K/yr.
2) Retake all science classes below B avg, but may only bring up GPA to barely above a 3.0 if I made all A's in 70 or so hours, still not acceptible for vet school.
3) Participate in TX Academic Fresh Start retaking everything. I realize I would already need to retake the science courses that have "expired", so why not start w/a clean slate. The 90 hours of classes I've already taken is quite daunting, but I obviously did not learn a whole lot the first time around. If I can manage at least a 3.4-3.6 GPA I have a good shot at Tx a&m vet school after 3 years of undergrad courses which would be much more financially feasible and easier on my relationship.
Thank you to all of those in advance that reply. Any personal information/stories will help with my decision. I have not begun any classes yet, I'm hoping to get started w/pre-req's (again) in January 2010. I know I need to speak w/counselors, I would also like your input/suggestions.
For those who do not know, TX developed a program about 10 years ago that allows for TX residents to make a "fresh start" with a clean slate on their GPA for coursework taken 10+ years ago. The catch: this is an all or nothing deal, meaning all pre-req's, not just "expired" science courses will need to be repeated and the student will need a minimum of 90 hours of new coursework before admission into a professional or grad school.
I am strongly considering this option and I would love to hear from a few others that have contemplated making this decision or even better, students and/or dr's that have taken this route.
My history in brief: I graduated with a bs in animal science from Texas A&M in 1999 w/a craptacular 2.29 GPA. Needless to say, I am quite ashamed of my academic performance from years ago. Although my GPA did not reflect it, my intentions were to go to vet school. I didn't bother applying. I seriously considered SGU vet school in Grenada (they were still brand new then), but realized the financial burden that I would have after graduation. I went to a vet tech school instead to become a registered vet tech.
After working in the field for the past 8 years, I truly love what I do. However, there is a piece of me (big chunk actually) that still wants to be the doctor, not just the tech. I've been at an awesome specialty practice for 5 years and every summer a new crop of eager interns start and I always think that could have been me, and still can be me. I'm ready to take the plunge and pursue my dream with a much stronger conviction than before. 10 years after graduation I am much more mature, focused and confident, I know I can do anything once I set my mind to it.
So this leaves me with a few options:
1) Take a year of upper level science courses to prove to the admissions committee at SGU that I can do the work (their advice), accept the $117K for tuition (not including books, living expences, etc), possibly lose a really great boyfriend in the process, be about $250K in debt upon graduation w/a hopeful salary of $80-100K/yr.
2) Retake all science classes below B avg, but may only bring up GPA to barely above a 3.0 if I made all A's in 70 or so hours, still not acceptible for vet school.
3) Participate in TX Academic Fresh Start retaking everything. I realize I would already need to retake the science courses that have "expired", so why not start w/a clean slate. The 90 hours of classes I've already taken is quite daunting, but I obviously did not learn a whole lot the first time around. If I can manage at least a 3.4-3.6 GPA I have a good shot at Tx a&m vet school after 3 years of undergrad courses which would be much more financially feasible and easier on my relationship.
Thank you to all of those in advance that reply. Any personal information/stories will help with my decision. I have not begun any classes yet, I'm hoping to get started w/pre-req's (again) in January 2010. I know I need to speak w/counselors, I would also like your input/suggestions.