Have I "reinvented" enough? ORM, 3.3s 3.3c

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidwesterMedicine

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thank you. I've seen mixed reviews on applicants with stats like mine. GPA is haunting me, but I pour my soul into my work and volunteer opportunities. Would Michigan MD be a donation?

Female, ORM
Graduated 2014, decided on medicine in 2016
Applying 2019, DO and MD
Michigan resident

Stats:
3.3s, 3.3c, FL MCAT 510-512 (not yet taken)
DIY post-bacc: 20 credit hours, 4.0 (factored into above)

Volunteer(all continuing):
Free clinic/undeserved community, all direct patient contact: 200+ hours, 4 months
Prison/Jail setting: 70+ , 2 years
Hospital volunteer, all direct patient contact: 80+ hours, 1 year
Mobile medical clinics: 20+ hours

Leadership (continuing)
Executive director for rare disease non-profit: 2 years (includes presentation at international conference)
2 leadership positions within volunteer activities listed above

Research (past and continuing)
Pharmacy and Nephrology (current employment): 1 year, 2000+ hours, 2 pubs, 3 abstracts
Ecology: 2 years, 500+ hours, 1 pub, 3 abstracts
Physiology (paid): 6 months, 700+ hours, no pubs

Rural medicine? absolutely

Other Relevant:
Clinic manager,wildlife facility: 2 years, responsible for staff, volunteers, and fundraising events

A family-like friend and housemate was diagnosed with cancer 6 months ago, and received hospice in our home until passing away. This greatly affected my perspective on many things. I'm torn when it comes to mentioning this in my app.

Members don't see this ad.

Any nonclinical service to those less fortunate than yourself? How about shadowing? Your GPAs are really low for MD and we can’t really advise you without the MCAT. Come back when you have it and people will be happy to help you refine your list! In the mean time plug your holes in your application, research DO programs and develop a school list. If you have the MSAR use that to help you. If not get it.

Reactions: 1 users
Any nonclinical service to those less fortunate than yourself? How about shadowing? Your GPAs are really low for MD and we can’t really advise you without the MCAT. Come back when you have it and people will be happy to help you refine your list! In the mean time plug your holes in your application, research DO programs and develop a school list. If you have the MSAR use that to help you. If not get it.
Thank you for your helpful reply. I currently have about 200+ of hands-on care within a free clinic, and about 70 hours running a support groups with jails and prisons. I will be continuing these activities. Does this seem adequate?

Shadowing: 25 hours w/ Psych DO, 25 hours with Obgyn MD, 40 hours primary care MD, 10 hours Nephrology MD

I do have MSAR, and I did notice that GPA is quite low for MD. Are non-traditional candidates looked at somewhat differently at some MD schools? Factoring in more diverse ECs and experience, perhaps? I also plan to apply DO.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a reinvention story and have similar stats in terms of overall gpa and mcat. So far have 2 II this cycle. Apply to schools that take a holistic look at candidates.

I’m a reinvention story and have similar stats in terms of overall gpa and mcat. So far have 2 II this cycle. Apply to schools that take a holistic look at candidates.
Ah! Congrats! This gives me some hope. I do plan to do more extensive research into schools, but do you have any recommendations off-hand? Good luck to you!

Have you read @Goros’s Guide for premeds that need reinvention? If not do a search of this forum . @Goro always gives spot on advice and I’m pretty sure all of your questions would be answered in this Guide. You have enough shadowing. What do you do at the jail?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Have you read @Goros’s Guide for premeds that need reinvention? If not do a search of this forum . @Goro always I es spot on advice and m pretty sure all of your questions would be answered in this Guide. You have enough shadowing. What do you do at the jail?
That is quite a gem of a guide, thank you. I'm active in both a jail and prison as a volunteer group facilitator for a curriculum-based support group that meets weekly.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All,

Thank you. I've seen mixed reviews on applicants with stats like mine. GPA is haunting me, but I pour my soul into my work and volunteer opportunities. Would Michigan MD be a donation?

Female, ORM
Graduated 2014, decided on medicine in 2016
Applying 2019, DO and MD
Michigan resident

Stats:
3.3s, 3.3c, FL MCAT 510-512 (not yet taken)
DIY post-bacc: 20 credit hours, 4.0 (factored into above)

Volunteer(all continuing):
Free clinic/undeserved community, all direct patient contact: 200+ hours, 4 months
Prison/Jail setting: 70+ , 2 years
Hospital volunteer, all direct patient contact: 80+ hours, 1 year
Mobile medical clinics: 20+ hours

Leadership (continuing)
Executive director for rare disease non-profit: 2 years (includes presentation at international conference)
2 leadership positions within volunteer activities listed above

Research (past and continuing)
Pharmacy and Nephrology (current employment): 1 year, 2000+ hours, 2 pubs, 3 abstracts
Ecology: 2 years, 500+ hours, 1 pub, 3 abstracts
Physiology (paid): 6 months, 700+ hours, no pubs

Rural medicine? absolutely

Other Relevant:
Clinic manager,wildlife facility: 2 years, responsible for staff, volunteers, and fundraising events

A family-like friend and housemate was diagnosed with cancer 6 months ago, and received hospice in our home until passing away. This greatly affected my perspective on many things. I'm torn when it comes to mentioning this in my app.
Come back when you have an MCAT score and then we can properly advise. I think you'l be better off with more hrs of great grades.

I think you have reasonable chances at most DO schools.

I think your chances are low for most MD schools assuming your MCAT comes back as what your FLs predict.

I agree with Goro: more hours of high grades will be beneficial to you.

Come back when you have an MCAT score and then we can properly advise. I think you'l be better off with more hrs of great grades.
Thank you for your reply. I'm taking 8 credits this semester, as well as 8 more next semester before applying, and I shall return with an MCAT score.

As it stands now, considering GPA, is MSUCOM likely out? This may be relevant: part of my undergrad was completed at MSU and it kicked my butt. Maturity was a huge factor. Thanks again.

I think you have reasonable chances at most DO schools.

I think your chances are low for most MD schools assuming your MCAT comes back as what your FLs predict.

I agree with Goro: more hours of high grades will be beneficial to you.
I appreciate your reply. I will return with an MCAT score one of these days, and I agree that focusing on more DO schools makes sense. I plan to take a total of 36 credits before applying.

Thank you for your reply. I'm taking 8 credits this semester, as well as 8 more next semester before applying, and I shall return with an MCAT score.

As it stands now, considering GPA, is MSUCOM likely out? This may be relevant: part of my undergrad was completed at MSU and it kicked my butt. Maturity was a huge factor. Thanks again.
Chances for MD after reinvention are best at one's own state schools.