Have I screwed up or do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InTrouble

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know now that I made a huge mistake, but I was counting on a guarantee to my college's School of Pharmacy. All I needed was a 3.5 in the required math and sciences (calculus, organic, physics, chem, statistics, etc.), but I got only got a 3.44. I took the PCAT in the Fall, and got an 85 composite. My GPA overall is about a 3.65.

Is it too late to apply to pharmacy schools for next year? I'm trying to find out which schools I might still try to apply to, such as SUNY, LECOM, schools in Philly and NY area. It looks like I have most of the prerequisites, but might have to go to summer school to finish one or two for some of the schools.

Am I stuck waiting another year, or do I realistically have a chance of getting interviews at this late date if I can get references and pull my application together within the next two weeks or so? Financially, this would be a real problem but it would give me another year to get more prerequisites under my belt and bring up my GPA.

Needless to say, I'm really frustrated with myself for not earning the 3.5 that would have guaranteed me an interview at my own school.

Members don't see this ad.

Dont sweat it. There are several people that would do anything to have your gpa/pcat score.
If you decide not to apply, make sure to use your time wisely and finish those pre-reqs strong, maybe youll be able to reach that 3.5.

Edit. Maybe I said something wrong lol

Last edited:
This needs to be a sticky: Look at the schools deadlines on PharmCAS. If it is past the deadline, yes it is too late. Imagine that. If it is not past the deadline, no it is not. See where I'm going with this?

Members don't see this ad :)
This needs to be a sticky: Look at the schools deadlines on PharmCAS. If it is past the deadline, yes it is too late. Imagine that. If it is not past the deadline, no it is not. See where I'm going with this?

Im slow, please explain!!! :p

Do you know of any site that gives that the date for when a Pharmacy school's application cycle starts?

I know now that I made a huge mistake, but I was counting on a guarantee to my college's School of Pharmacy. All I needed was a 3.5 in the required math and sciences (calculus, organic, physics, chem, statistics, etc.), but I got only got a 3.44. I took the PCAT in the Fall, and got an 85 composite. My GPA overall is about a 3.65.

Is it too late to apply to pharmacy schools for next year? I'm trying to find out which schools I might still try to apply to, such as SUNY, LECOM, schools in Philly and NY area. It looks like I have most of the prerequisites, but might have to go to summer school to finish one or two for some of the schools.

Am I stuck waiting another year, or do I realistically have a chance of getting interviews at this late date if I can get references and pull my application together within the next two weeks or so? Financially, this would be a real problem but it would give me another year to get more prerequisites under my belt and bring up my GPA.

Needless to say, I'm really frustrated with myself for not earning the 3.5 that would have guaranteed me an interview at my own school.

Why don't you still apply to your own school via their traditional way?

Its still best to call each individual school before you apply and ask them if the chances are good or not...For example, I called Wingate in Dec and told them my situation...I applied on Dec 12 and will take the PCAT on Jan 24th...Wingate flat out told me that I had no chance since I am taking the PCAT on Jan...so that saved me 40 bucks! IF you are going to apply this late like me, make sure you called each school before you apply...All the schools I applied to told me I still had plently of time and had a good chance thats the only reason I why I applied. ;)

You should be fine. Just go and look at pharmcas. Finish that pharmcas and look at some schools that do not participate in pharmcas. Several schools' deadlines are passed due but you still have time to apply to some. Good luck and get those recommendations in line asap.:luck:

You're fine. Check with each school before applying so you don't waste time and money (all schools are very different in their procedures). Your stats are good as long as you have other good credentials like LORs, experience, yada yada...

I definitely wouldn't give up yet. A decent amount of schools still have Feb deadlines and a handful have March deadlines. If you're not picky on schools, apply and you'll get in I'm sure. If you don't like any of the schools left, then no worries - just apply next year and make good use of your time. A lot of pharm schools actually favor reapplicants who improve their application significantly during their "extra year" thru more pharmacy experience, etc.

Good luck