Health Professions Scholarship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armyhealth

Army Healthcare Recruiter
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here to answer any questions you may have on HPSP for medical school. Let me help answer any questions you may have! I am a Army Healthcare Recruiter so I can only tell you about the Army but I will do my best to only give you only researched and honest answers. I have someone who is going through the process now who is on SDN also and can answer any questions you may have about the process from his side.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@Armyhealth is a great resource, and I'm the poster that he mentioned and can answer questions via pm, too :)

Got accepted. Interested in health professions scholarship. How do I get started?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted as well. My concern for HPSP is that my recent MCAT is 12/7/11 (PS/VR/BS) and apparently you need at least 8 in each section to be qualified. So even though I have an acceptance, I cannot apply to HPSP?

why-you-always-lying-feat.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Got accepted. Interested in health professions scholarship. How do I get started?

Send me a PM, we will go over the basics to make sure you are qualified and then I will find you a local healthcare recruiter....and CONGRATS!

Got accepted as well. My concern for HPSP is that my recent MCAT is 12/7/11 (PS/VR/BS) and apparently you need at least 8 in each section to be qualified. So even though I have an acceptance, I cannot apply to HPSP?

Correct you do have to have a 8 in each category. You could think about doing MDSSP. You can PM me if you would like more information.

Does choosing this path limit possible specialization down the line? Significantly delay it?

Does choosing this path limit possible specialization down the line? Significantly delay it?

If you are going into a very specific specialization it can and sometimes does limit or slow down your path. For instance the Army does not have a plastic surgery fellowship so if that is what you plan on doing it may for sure throw a kink in your plans. Also we only have so many slots for each residency per year so if you just happen to have a very competitive class group for the specialization that you plan on attending then you may have to go into a your FYGME and reapply the next year. There is a face book group for current HPSP students who are in all phases of the program. It is a great resource if you want to ask questions about specific specialties. I also have a lists of all the residencies and fellowships we offer. PM me for either of those.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have family members who are armed forces physicians and it's one reason I did NOT pursue the hpsp. If anyone wants such a perspective and not of one who is a recruiter (and makes commission off of you signing papers) feel free to pm me.

Bump; I attended USUHS's open house last week, and also met an HPSP representative/practicing navy physician.

USUHS is across the street from the NIH, and its medical students can do research there; I'm going to look into whether HPSP students at other medical schools can do the same and post what I find out. If you want me to send any questions to the above Doctor, feel free to ask/pm me and I'll look into that, too.

I have family members who are armed forces physicians and it's one reason I did NOT pursue the hpsp. If anyone wants such a perspective and not of one who is a recruiter (and makes commission off of you signing papers) feel free to pm me.

I am an active duty SSG, I make no commission off anyone ever. I wish I did, haha!

WRONG!...
Recruiters do not earn commission. Never have and never will.
If you have family who are military physicians, you have been sadly misinformed. And due to that, anything you have to say about HPSP or the military in general, will only disseminating false information to those seeking out options for becoming a physician.

Reactions: 2 users
WRONG!...
Recruiters do not earn commission. Never have and never will.
If you have family who are military physicians, you have been sadly misinformed. And due to that, anything you have to say about HPSP or the military in general, will only disseminating false information to those seeking out options for becoming a physician.
Lol. That is a 100% lie buddy. Nice try. Keep the lies coming. Perfect example of why I didn't accept the hpsp.

I know, personally, numerous Army/ Navy/ Air Force physicians. You don't know what you are talking about.

Edited: redacted personal info.

Last edited:
Lol. That is a 100% lie buddy. Nice try. Keep the lies coming. Perfect example of why I didn't accept the hpsp.

I know, personally, numerous Army/ Navy/ Air Force physicians. You don't know what you are talking about.

Maybe your thinking of hospital recruiters....but Military recruiters do not earn commission. I can show you my pay stubs from every month I have been a recruiter if you would like haha. I am working with a Oral Maxillofacial Surgeon and a ophthalmologist who are joining this year...if I made commission I would be killing it!

Talking to a salty, non-verified source sounds like a great idea for an important decision.

Keep it professional guy... It wasn't for you, and that's fine...

Talking to a salty, non-verified source sounds like a great idea for an important decision.

Keep it professional guy... It wasn't for you, and that's fine...
Whose salty? I think the hpsp is great for the right person but there is SO much misinformation given by recruiters.

I could not care less if some random medic on an anyonymous forum doesn't believe me lol. Awesome for you, but those who are intelligent and actually research what I've posted over years know I am in the know as far as military medicine is concerned. Alternatively, you can also PM me as multiple people on here know who I am and my background. Though, I suspect you won't as your post has 0 to do with actually obtaining knowledge on whom I am but rather a show of smoke and mirrors to obfuscate the reality.

Regardless, you'll find out first hand. Let me ask you this, have you ever wondered why hpsp physicians great each other at military hospitals by how many days they have left until their contract is up? Exactly...

If you join HSPS and you serve the amounted time in the army or air force or wherever... Where do you get stationed? Overseas? In the US?

Whose salty? I think the hpsp is great for the right person but there is SO much misinformation given by recruiters.

I could not care less if some random medic on an anyonymous forum doesn't believe me lol. Awesome for you, but those who are intelligent and actually research what I've posted over years know I am in the know as far as military medicine is concerned. Alternatively, you can also PM me as multiple people on here know who I am and my background. Though, I suspect you won't as your post has 0 to do with actually obtaining knowledge on whom I am but rather a show of smoke and mirrors to obfuscate the reality.

Regardless, you'll find out first hand. Let me ask you this, have you ever wondered why hpsp physicians great each other at military hospitals by how many days they have left until their contract is up? Exactly...

I have worked around Army doctors for the last 15 years and never heard any doctor greeting another doctor with how many days they have left. I am not sure when, where, who you or your parents served but it sounds like they were in a very toxic environment and I am sorry that you have that image of Military Medicine but that is not the same for everyone. If you ever have the chance to see a current Army residency and see what it is like and I think your perspective would change.

If you join HSPS and you serve the amounted time in the army or air force or wherever... Where do you get stationed? Overseas? In the US?

Really depends on your specialty, at the end of residency the program manager for your specialty will send you a list of all the open positions. You will rank them in order you want to go as does your class group. Usually you will get one of your top three choices. Most likely you will be in the states your first assignment but it is possible you could be in Germany, Italy, Japan, South Korea or one of our smaller overseas locations.

Really depends on your specialty, at the end of residency the program manager for your specialty will send you a list of all the open positions. You will rank them in order you want to go as does your class group. Usually you will get one of your top three choices. Most likely you will be in the states your first assignment but it is possible you could be in Germany, Italy, Japan, South Korea or one of our smaller overseas locations.
Is there a way you can opt out of going overseas?

No, part of the commitment is saying you will go when and where you are needed. You can request not to go or if you have a legitimate reason for not going you can submit that for consideration but you will be expected to go if that is where you are assigned.

Just because you're a physician in the military doesn't mean you get out of deployments. Special treatment will only go so far before they expect you to be an officer in the military before a physician. That's a concept many pre meds struggle with and lends to the notion that you should only do HPSP if you have a strong inclination to serve!

Reactions: 2 users
Bump; I attended USUHS's open house last week, and also met an HPSP representative/practicing navy physician.

USUHS is across the street from the NIH, and its medical students can do research there; I'm going to look into whether HPSP students at other medical schools can do the same and post what I find out. If you want me to send any questions to the above Doctor, feel free to ask/pm me and I'll look into that, too.

Although I'm still researching the above, I wanted to bump this thread with an update since there has been a lot of talk on other sub-forums (e.g. Physician Scientists: NIH Could Face $6 Billion cut in new budget & Business: Should I do a MD/MBA if I want to have my own Pharmaceutical company? & the Sociopolitical Lounge: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/opinion-on-new-fda-commissioner.1247385/) about the recent 20%/$6 billion NIH budget cut.

Defense-related research funding will not be affected and is most likely going to get a boost; posters in all of the above linked threads have stated the same, including moderators. So IMO, the HPSP may a route toward a research career since a lot of non-MD/PhDs do research (e.g. as clinical assistant professors) and have labs @Armyhealth I started a thread on this NIH Defunding (news) vs Defense Research

Last edited:
Recruiters make commission in the name of meeting quotas. Getting a HPSP sign up = 2-3 enlisted sign up. Doing a good job at this gig helps the SSG making E7 faster.

A word of caution to the rookies out there:

You will not be in Germany, Italy, Japan, or any of the sweet gig out there after residency. You will more likely be in some infested chemical toxic wasteland like Ft Irwin or Ft Polk.

Maybe your thinking of hospital recruiters....but Military recruiters do not earn commission. I can show you my pay stubs from every month I have been a recruiter if you would like haha. I am working with a Oral Maxillofacial Surgeon and a ophthalmologist who are joining this year...I made commission I would be killing it!

100% sure that they're only signing up for the Reserve here.

And if you manage to get stationed at a desirable location, it's more likely as the BN Surgeon, which is the equivalent of an admin job where you're stroking some Bird's ego at a line unit. After a few months at this gig, you will be begging for a deployment in order to maintain your clinical skills.

Uncle Sam doesn't care if you're a physician clerk.

Mad prop to the OMFS guy. He's taking a 100-200K paycut.

If you are going into a very specific specialization it can and sometimes does limit or slow down your path. For instance the Army does not have a plastic surgery fellowship so if that is what you plan on doing it may for sure throw a kink in your plans. Also we only have so many slots for each residency per year so if you just happen to have a very competitive class group for the specialization that you plan on attending then you may have to go into a your FYGME and reapply the next year. There is a face book group for current HPSP students who are in all phases of the program. It is a great resource if you want to ask questions about specific specialties. I also have a lists of all the residencies and fellowships we offer. PM me for either of those.
What is the Facebook group called?

Can we join that group if we've applied and are awaiting board results just be look over what they're all saying?

Yes, someone has to accept you. If you PM me I will add you to my private group which is also all future or already serving medical officers and I can add you to the group.

Yes, someone has to accept you. If you PM me I will add you to my private group which is also all future or already serving medical officers and I can add you to the group.
Can you add me as well?

An M1 here who just got selected for a 3-year HPSP a couple of weeks ago, just wanted to ask how long is the average wait time to get a security clearance? Thank you!

An M1 here who just got selected for a 3-year HPSP a couple of weeks ago, just wanted to ask how long is the average wait time to get a security clearance? Thank you!

The actual security clearance can take six months to be completed. However the scroll, enrollment and all of the other stuff can be completed without having a security clearance as long as you have a favorable condition which only takes a few days after your recruiter sends it up.

The actual security clearance can take six months to be completed. However the scroll, enrollment and all of the other stuff can be completed without having a security clearance as long as you have a favorable condition which only takes a few days after your recruiter sends it up.
Okay great to hear, thank you so much!

I was on the board that happened earlier this month. How long do you think this will take to find out if i'm in? My recruiter made it sound like things would move very fast but reading online it looks like some guys (at least on the dental side) wait months from when they submit their final packet till when they commission.

Also how many 4 years scholarships do u think are left this late in the cycle? I feel fairly competitive at 514 MCAT and 3.6 GPA but hope I wasn't too late

I was on the board that happened earlier this month. How long do you think this will take to find out if i'm in? My recruiter made it sound like things would move very fast but reading online it looks like some guys (at least on the dental side) wait months from when they submit their final packet till when they commission.

Also how many 4 years scholarships do u think are left this late in the cycle? I feel fairly competitive at 514 MCAT and 3.6 GPA but hope I wasn't too late

I found out today that I was selected so I'd give your a recruiter a call!

Not HPSP, but I spoke to a friend who is in the Army and he said that doctors can do airborne and ranger school. Is this true? I thought he was joking, but I have seen some obscure posts on here saying something similar.