Health Professions Scholarship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armyhealth

Army Healthcare Recruiter
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here to answer any questions about the HPSP program for dental school. It is one of our most competitive programs and any help I can give about the application process or other questions you have. I am a current Army Healthcare Recruiter so will only be able to give answers about the Army.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Here to answer any questions about the HPSP program for dental school. It is one of our most competitive programs and any help I can give about the application process or other questions you have. I am a current Army Healthcare Recruiter so will only be able to give answers about the Army.

First of all thanks for taking the time to do this! My question is other than GPA and DAT scores what other factors are incorporated in determining whether a candidate should receive the HPSP scholarship?

Are there any 3 year scholarships left for those starting school this Fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all thanks for taking the time to do this! My question is other than GPA and DAT scores what other factors are incorporated in determining whether a candidate should receive the HPSP scholarship?

Letters of recommendation (you can have up to 5), any prior military service, letter of motivation and intent, any community service or relevant work experience, leadership experience and potential, any possible issues with physical or weight issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Are applicants able to apply to 3 year scholarships directly? Or is it more of a carry over of applicants who didn't receive the 4 year scholarship?

Generally, how are applicants with low undergrad GPAs considered if they have done a masters and did well? Are there people who are awarded the scholarship with low undergrad GPA & good grad GPA?

Are applicants able to apply to 3 year scholarships directly? Or is it more of a carry over of applicants who didn't receive the 4 year scholarship?

Generally, how are applicants with low undergrad GPAs considered if they have done a masters and did well? Are there people who are awarded the scholarship with low undergrad GPA & good grad GPA?

You can apply directly for the three year for Dental there is usually not a lot of spots but usually take 10-20 per year. For eligibility it is only the undergrad GPA they will look at your graduate GPA favorably at the board but you have to have over the 3.0 in undergrad to apply.

You can apply directly for the three year for Dental there is usually not a lot of spots but usually take 10-20 per year. For eligibility it is only the undergrad GPA they will look at your graduate GPA favorably at the board but you have to have over the 3.0 in undergrad to apply.
Is this the GPA on our college transcript or the GPA on AADSAS? If college transcript GPA, is the minimum for overall GPA, major GPA, or both? If AADSAS GPA, is the minimum for overall, science, BCP or all?

And just to confirm: I need to meet the minimum undergrad GPA. As long as I meet that, grad GPA will be looked at favorably?

Is this the GPA on our college transcript or the GPA on AADSAS? If college transcript GPA, is the minimum for overall GPA, major GPA, or both? If AADSAS GPA, is the minimum for overall, science, BCP or all?

And just to confirm: I need to meet the minimum undergrad GPA. As long as I meet that, grad GPA will be looked at favorably?

It is the overall GPA on the college transcript. We don't even use the AADSAS for our applicants. The minimum is for the undergrad overall GPA only. Yes if your packet is sent to the board the grad GPA will be looked at favorably.

Reactions: 1 user
It is the overall GPA on the college transcript. We don't even use the AADSAS for our applicants. The minimum is for the undergrad overall GPA only. Yes if your packet is sent to the board the grad GPA will be looked at favorably.
Thank you!

How does a DAT retake (late July-mid August) come in play with the application process and boards?

When should I find a recruiter and start the application?

Members don't see this ad :)
How does a DAT retake (late July-mid August) come in play with the application process and boards?

When should I find a recruiter and start the application?

A DAT retake is fine, the board only looks at the most current test. Our board is in January, so I would start the application process this summer so you have plenty of time to get everything ready. I had a DC HPSP selected this year and I started working with him Apr 2016 so never too early.

Do you ever go to battle if you receive the scholarship.

I've been interested in HPSP, but have had a hard time tracking down a recruiter. The only response I've received was a generalized email one, but no POC. I'm prior Army and would love to get back to serving. Do you know anyone in the DC metro area?

Is the armed forces a smart choice for those who want to specialize?

Generally speaking, yes for oral surgery. Perio, endo, and prosth are probably comparable or good compared to civilian residencies. No for ortho or pedo unless you are incredibly competitive and don't mind applying a few times (with very few spots they like to see experience).

Generally speaking, yes for oral surgery. Perio, endo, and prosth are probably comparable or good compared to civilian residencies. No for ortho or pedo unless you are incredibly competitive and don't mind applying a few times (with very few spots they like to see experience).
How many spots are typically available for OMFS each year in your branch?

I've been interested in HPSP, but have had a hard time tracking down a recruiter. The only response I've received was a generalized email one, but no POC. I'm prior Army and would love to get back to serving. Do you know anyone in the DC metro area?

I can get you a direct contact, I am a healthcare recruiter in New York but know most of the DC guys/gals. Sent me a PM!

i have a question. i was told by my army recruiter that I could only apply to one of the three branches of the military at a time for HPSP and i only applied to the ARMY because of this. Recruiter told me that if the military found out that I applied to a second branch (AF or Navy), that my entire application would be disqualified. But so many people on these sites apply to all. Was I naive? is there a way to inbox you privately as I have a few other questions. Thanks so much! Obviously, I did not get the 4 year ARMY HPSP scholarship but I have many questions on how best to proceed with the 3 year scholarship. BTW, my DAT and GPA are stellar, as are my extracurriculars, health, etx.

i have a question. i was told by my army recruiter that I could only apply to one of the three branches of the military at a time for HPSP and i only applied to the ARMY because of this. Recruiter told me that if the military found out that I applied to a second branch (AF or Navy), that my entire application would be disqualified. But so many people on these sites apply to all. Was I naive? is there a way to inbox you privately as I have a few other questions. Thanks so much! Obviously, I did not get the 4 year ARMY HPSP scholarship but I have many questions on how best to proceed with the 3 year scholarship. BTW, my DAT and GPA are stellar, as are my extracurriculars, health, etx.

Yeah you can apply to all 3 branches. I started off applying with all 3. All of my recruiters knew this, and one of them (Navy) even encouraged me to go for my best fit.

Some recruiters are just not that interested in working with you if you’re looking for multiple branches but it’s absolutely within your rights to apply for all branches.

You’re not committed to any branch until you sign the commissioning paperwork.

You can apply to whatever you want to. You are the applicant, I have a dual Navy/Army applicant right now.

I was just notified by my recruiter that I was “board selected” for the 4 year HPSP but on the “order of merit” list, which was explained as being essentially a waitlist.

Is this what they do with everyone who is not awarded the scholarship? Is there anything I could look at in the meantime as other options if the 4 year HPSP doesn’t work out? Any idea how optimistic I should be?

@JECarter39

It means if anyone who was selected declines the offer or for some other reason becomes ineligible they will start pulling of the OML. Usually at least 5 or so get pulled off that list eventually. Depends where you rank on the OML. Not everyone is put on the OML, we have a lot that are just non-select. Means you are good enough for the scholarship but just didn't make the top 53.[/QUOTE]

@JECarter39

It means if anyone who was selected declines the offer or for some other reason becomes ineligible they will start pulling of the OML. Usually at least 5 or so get pulled off that list eventually. Depends where you rank on the OML. Not everyone is put on the OML, we have a lot that are just non-select. Means you are good enough for the scholarship but just didn't make the top 53.
[/QUOTE]
I'll keep my fingers crossed then- thank you!

Wow! I didn't realize there were only 53 spots!

After being selected, what is the next step? Approximately when should I be taking this next step?

Your recruiter should get with you and give you a rough timeline. Basically it goes like this- wait for scrolls or any waivers you had to be approved, then they cut appointment orders, then you are commissioned and fill out your enrollment documents, documents are reviewed and if they are all done right you are enrolled and sign up for MODS and can sign up for DCC if you plan on going before dental school.

I've heard chatter that it's easier to get medical waivers applying to be a member of the medical/dental corps and I was wondering if there's any truth to this. Particularly for someone with exercise-induced asthma (after age 13) on their medical record but can now exercise without any need for an inhaler. I realize that something like this is commonly considered a disqualification for general enlistment.

I can get you a direct contact, I am a healthcare recruiter in New York but know most of the DC guys/gals. Sent me a PM!
If you don't mind answering, do you happen to be working to recruit candidates out of Westchester?

If you don't mind answering, do you happen to be working to recruit candidates out of Westchester?

I am in the Upstate, NY area but I can work with anyone anywhere or I can help you get in touch with the local healthcare recruiter for that area. Just depends on which you prefer. Feel free to send me a PM.

Last edited:
I've heard chatter that it's easier to get medical waivers applying to be a member of the medical/dental corps and I was wondering if there's any truth to this. Particularly for someone with exercise-induced asthma (after age 13) on their medical record but can now exercise without any need for an inhaler. I realize that something like this is commonly considered a disqualification for general enlistment.

We actually have the same standards as everyone else. We just understand how important medical professionals are so I think our recruiters do a better job of getting medical documentation to show that you meet criteria to get in. Asthma is a tough one but if you can pass a PFT and have a letter of clearance from your current doctor with proper medical documentation you have a shot at it.

Is MODS down? I was told to enroll but can't access the site no matter what I do. Thank you!

Looks up to me, it is a two step process. Did they send you your login ID and password already?
I have not received that yet. I was only given the url and told to enroll but each time I try to access it, it will not load. Thank you for your help.

I have not received that yet. I was only given the url and told to enroll but each time I try to access it, it will not load. Thank you for your help.

Got ya, once you get in and register then they will send you an email with a user name/password. The site is down now so looks like it is having issues today.

I am now in a 7 year program, and will be starting dental school this fall without a bachelor's degree. Do I have to have an undergraduate degree to qualify for the scholarship?

I am now in a 7 year program, and will be starting dental school this fall without a bachelor's degree. Do I have to have an undergraduate degree to qualify for the scholarship?

This thread should answer that question for you.
HPSP No Degree

How much of the schooling will it pay for? If I go to a private school, will it cover all of that tuition? I have heard it only covers about $40k/year

How much of the schooling will it pay for? If I go to a private school, will it cover all of that tuition? I have heard it only covers about $40k/year

It is 100% regardless of the school you go to. I have had students in Columbia, UPENN so on with full rides paid for.