HELP!!!!!!! Is it too late for medical school? Chances of getting into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GucciBaby7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Right now I'm in between PA and MD.
My main reason of choosing it is because I know I love surgery.
I am 24 years old, still have NOT taken these pre requisites:
1 year of Ochem
1 year of Calculus (some schools require one semester?)
1 year of Physics
Bio 2, and Biochem

My overall GPA is a 3.2.
My current science GPA is a 3.53
My GPA from my health sciences degree itself: 3.7

Sciences courses I HAVE taken in the past:
Anatomy
Microbiology
Physiology
Genetics
Gen chem 1
Gen chem 2
Bio 1

I probably wouldn't able to apply for medical school until Fall 2018 realistically.
I am 24 years old, I would be done with med school by 30, and then residency.
I am just not sure if its worth it. I want to be married, have kids, etc.
Maybe I am making this excuse because I don't want to do the schooling?

Do I even have the chance to get into medical school? I have honestly heard that PA school is harder to get into than MD. Most PA programs in CA have approx 3,000 applicants. Med schools usually get around 800 to 2,000.

I would appreciate some feedback. Anyone here that does surgery? In med school? In my boat?

Members don't see this ad.

1. It's not too late, in fact it's almost never too late.
2. Finishing med school at 30, then residency 33-36 is completely conducive to starting a family. It will no doubt be tough but certainly not impossible if you really want to make it happen.
3. "Med schools usually get around 800 to 2,000." What? most medical schools get 5000-8000, some even more than 12,000.

Reactions: 1 user
1. It's not too late, in fact it's almost never too late.
2. Finishing med school at 30, then residency 33-36 is completely conducive to starting a family. It will no doubt be tough but certainly not impossible if you really want to make it happen.
3. "Med schools usually get around 800 to 2,000." What? most medical schools get 5000-8000, some even more than 12,000.

Are you in med school?
Why do you wanna become a doctor?

What if I get in, for example to SGU (Caribbean), and then drop out like all the others? I am extremely afraid of failure.
I have friends go to there currently 3rd year and 2nd year, and they said so many people drop out.

Maybe my issue is insecurity, and I don't know how to fix it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you in med school?
Why do you wanna become a doctor?

What if I get in, for example to SGU (Caribbean), and then drop out like all the others? I am extremely afraid of failure.
I have friends go to there currently 3rd year and 2nd year, and they said so many people drop out.

Maybe my issue is insecurity, and I don't know how to fix it.

I want to become a doctor for a multitude of reasons, none of which are important for you.

And I'm sorry for your friends' troubles, but that's because they go to a Caribbean medical school. Do some research on this site and elsewhere and you'll find that those schools are not at all like schools in the US, and are frankly unacceptable forms of medical education. Amongst US programs (where the administration wants you to succeed), I think the rate of students graduating and going on to a residency is around 95% or maybe higher. In the Caribbean (where they just want your money) it's closer to 30% I believe.

Do the hard work of getting into a US medical school and you won't have any of those problems.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.
But even in US schools, so many drop out. I am just so scared, I don't wanna waste time or money, I don't know what to do.

But thank you :/

But even in US schools, so many drop out. I am just so scared, I don't wanna waste time or money, I don't know what to do.

I think that you're mistaken. Very few people drop out of US medical schools.

I think that you need to study the application process more because there are quite a few mistakes in your thought process. MD schools receive MANY more applications than PA programs.

Finally, if you're questioning if becoming a PA/MD is worth it before even finishing half of your prereqs and taking the MCAT, abandon ship now. It doesn't get easier from here.

My overall GPA is a 3.2.

Overall is very low. Need to get that >3.5

In general, balancing surgery and family life is very very very difficult. Almost to the point where you must choose one over the other.

Do I even have the chance to get into medical school?

Need more data, like how well you are doing in your classes now and what is your projected application GPA. MCAT score of course.

I have honestly heard that PA school is harder to get into than MD.

No. Not even remotely true. Your source has interesting opinions.

What if I get in, for example to SGU (Caribbean), and then drop out like all the others?

Going to the Caribbean is already a sign the odds are stacked against you. In US medical schools drop out rates are <5% for every school.

How do you know you love surgery? Have you shadowed physicians? Volunteered in clinic? Worked with surgeons or in any clinical capacity?

Lucky you won't be ready to apply for several years. You have so many misconceptions and frankly I'm not sure you even want to be a doctor. Spend some time reading these forums and spend more time with doctors and patients. Your GPA is very low for MD but it might be okay for DO. Although GPAs for both MD and DO go up every year so who knows by the time you might apply what it will be. Work on your grades, work on your ECs and figure out what path you want to take.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't able to apply for medical school until Fall 2018 realistically.
I am 24 years old, I would be done with med school by 30, and then residency.
Maybe I am making this excuse because I don't want to do the schooling?

Do I even have the chance to get into medical school? I have honestly heard that PA school is harder to get into than MD. Most PA programs in CA have approx 3,000 applicants. Med schools usually get around 800 to 2,000.

I would appreciate some feedback. Anyone here that does surgery? In med school? In my boat?

Honestly, I think you should stick with the PA route. There are plenty of things to learn about the medical school admissions, but sadly, you are not in the right state of mind. So save yourself the trouble, frustrations, and tears and pursue PA.