Feb 20, 2020
Status
Pre-Psychology
I am not familiar with the specifics of training at any of the three but I imagine that which one is "best" in terms of fit depends on your goals for graduate school and what you want to get from the experience. (Also, have any of these three schools extended an offer yet? That often helps narrow down the decision...)
Thank you for your reply! So far I haven't received an offer yet but hopefully could hear back from them by the end of March!

Feb 24, 2020
Status
Psychology Student
Does anyone have an opinion on which PsyD program and University reputation is the best? I’m trying to decide between Azusa Pacific University, Cal Lutheran University, Fuller Seminary, and Loma Linda University.

chicandtoughness

mental health clinician (LMHC)
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2014
Indiana University of Pennsylvania,
Yeshiva University/Ferkauf School of Psychology,
William James College.
IUP is very CBT-focused, so if that's not your thing then don't go there. Ferkauf allows you to choose psychodynamic or CBT track. WJC is a mixed bag of things. I interviewed Ferkauf and WJC and was accepted to both last year.

WJC has something like a 75% acceptance rate so they're not picky - you can form your own opinions from there. They do have a lot of connections in the Boston area and all of their students get good placements, but that's largely because they used to be well respected in the past. Since the name change, they've run their financials into the ground and there have been massive tuition increases to make up for it. I mean, look at this: https://www.williamjames.edu/admissions/tuition-and-aid/upload/psyd-clinical-shopping-sheet.pdf. $50k for tuition is so damn high, and that's going to be five years of your life. I know you said your parents will help pay for it, but how much are they willing to help out with? Additionally, in recent years the quality of their interns has gone down - I've worked with two of their interns recently and it is scary how unprepared they are. Their match rates (Clinical PsyD Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data at William James College) have been always been horrendous. It goes up in 2016 because they started offering a captive internship - students can either do the APPIC match OR they can seamlessly transition into WJC's consortium internship. So it looks like a lot more people are matching than they really are. Any place that needs to inflate numbers like that is a red flag.

I don't want to recommend anything, but if you like Ferkauf and can afford it, I don't think it's a bad choice relative to the other two.

Does anyone have an opinion on which PsyD program and University reputation is the best? I’m trying to decide between Azusa Pacific University, Cal Lutheran University, Fuller Seminary, and Loma Linda University.
They're more or less all the same in terms of program. Check the APA match rates and make your decision from there.

About the Ads
Feb 20, 2020
Status
Pre-Psychology
IUP is very CBT-focused, so if that's not your thing then don't go there. Ferkauf allows you to choose psychodynamic or CBT track. WJC is a mixed bag of things. I interviewed Ferkauf and WJC and was accepted to both last year.

WJC has something like a 75% acceptance rate so they're not picky - you can form your own opinions from there. They do have a lot of connections in the Boston area and all of their students get good placements, but that's largely because they used to be well respected in the past. Since the name change, they've run their financials into the ground and there have been massive tuition increases to make up for it. I mean, look at this: https://www.williamjames.edu/admissions/tuition-and-aid/upload/psyd-clinical-shopping-sheet.pdf. $50k for tuition is so damn high, and that's going to be five years of your life. I know you said your parents will help pay for it, but how much are they willing to help out with? Additionally, in recent years the quality of their interns has gone down - I've worked with two of their interns recently and it is scary how unprepared they are. Their match rates (Clinical PsyD Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data at William James College) have been always been horrendous. It goes up in 2016 because they started offering a captive internship - students can either do the APPIC match OR they can seamlessly transition into WJC's consortium internship. So it looks like a lot more people are matching than they really are. Any place that needs to inflate numbers like that is a red flag.

I don't want to recommend anything, but if you like Ferkauf and can afford it, I don't think it's a bad choice relative to the other two.
Thank you for the information! Yes I have heard non-thrilling news about WJC in terms of their huge cohort size and the low match rate. Do you have any experience with Ferkauf? I know the tuition fee is so high and that's why I need more information to decide if the training would worth it. I applied for both PsyD and PhD programs this year but only got interviews from PsyD. I'm also thinking of wait for another year and apply for programs with more funding, but I'm not sure about my chances.

Sep 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Psychology
I just got a PsyD offer from Roosevelt University and the offer came along with a graduate assistantship, stipend and scholarship. I appreciate the relatively small cohort size (20-25 per year), the location of RU and the 100% APA match rate since 2011. The faculty members seem to be really nice and caring as well.
I am hoping to hear some thoughts on their neuropsychology track, which is what I am interested in. The program director said their neuropsych students tend to be competitive in the matching process and the career outcomes seem to be pretty decent. So I am just hoping to get some feedback from people who happen to know or have worked with PsyD students from RU. And does anyone know what is the ranking of the PsyD Program at RU? There are several rankings I found on the internet but they differ a lot from each other.
Thank you very much!

chicandtoughness

mental health clinician (LMHC)
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2014
Thank you for the information! Yes I have heard non-thrilling news about WJC in terms of their huge cohort size and the low match rate. Do you have any experience with Ferkauf? I know the tuition fee is so high and that's why I need more information to decide if the training would worth it. I applied for both PsyD and PhD programs this year but only got interviews from PsyD. I'm also thinking of wait for another year and apply for programs with more funding, but I'm not sure about my chances.
If funding is your goal, then you won't get much from any PsyD program, short of Baylor, Rutgers, and William Paterson. Ferkauf's financia aid is ****. I applied PsyD and PhD too, and only got PsyD interviews. I'm wondering if the two departments have any communication. Is there a reason why you prefer PsyD programs vs PhD?

Mar 3, 2020
Status
Pre-Psychology
Postdoc applications advice!

I have applied for 9 primarily-research postdoc positions. I received 2 rejections (one was hard but wanted more experience with a specific analysis and the other was a long shot) and the rest have yet to make decisions. 3 who haven't decided are T32s, 2 are up for renewal this year and 1 of those is my top choice and I have a lot of reason to believe that if they got the funding I would have a slot (they got a great score but won't know for sure for 1-1.5 months and can't offer backup funding if they don't get funded). 3 non-t32s are more like project coordinator positions which are hoping to make decisions "soon". The last one has one slot and decides normally in May (which was not on the original job posting) and is more of a general "do your own research" type position.

The applications seem like a lot, but as Spring is nearing and my internship is ending in July, the question is, do I apply for more? Or do I just sit, very heavily, on my hands and wait, hoping that something comes through?

Have others waited for T32s in renewal before and how did you come to that decision?

Reactions: beginner2011
Apr 11, 2020
Status
Pre-Psychology
Hi! This is super last minute but would love input!

I'm choosing between Roosevelt and Yeshiva for their PsyD programs. My pros/cons list is long and thorough. I've over complicated it!
Does anyone have strong thoughts

mypointlesspov

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2017
Status
Psychology Student
Hi! This is super last minute but would love input!

I'm choosing between Roosevelt and Yeshiva for their PsyD programs. My pros/cons list is long and thorough. I've over complicated it!
Does anyone have strong thoughts
What's the funding like at each? I'm not familiar with Roosevelt but Yeshiva is a decent program, as far as I know. It's expensive though, and living in/around NYC ain't cheap.

Apr 11, 2020
Status
Pre-Psychology
What's the funding like at each? I'm not familiar with Roosevelt but Yeshiva is a decent program, as far as I know. It's expensive though, and living in/around NYC ain't cheap.
I got a small sum in scholarship money from yeshiva.
Roosevelt gave me a scholarship double that sum and also offered me a graduate assistantship position that pays 1/4 of the tuition the first year (and 1/2 if I were to continue the second year)

Additionally, Roosevelt has a 100% APA internship match rate and a comparable reputation to Yeshiva as far as I can tell

Yeshiva Pros: A professor I would love to do research with (We are closely aligned in interests), the onsite clinic, the geronotorology track, and it is much closer to where I am from, and I have many friends there.
Yeshiva cons: it is SO expensive compared to Roosevelt- the school and the city

Roosevelt Pros: Cost. Similar reputation.
Roosevelt Cons: No friends there. No faculty member that I am particularly interested in working with (they'll support whatever research I want to do though..). Long winters can take a toll. No health insurance offered.

Apr 10, 2020
Status
Pre-Psychology
I got a small sum in scholarship money from yeshiva.
Roosevelt gave me a scholarship double that sum and also offered me a graduate assistantship position that pays 1/4 of the tuition the first year (and 1/2 if I were to continue the second year)

Additionally, Roosevelt has a 100% APA internship match rate and a comparable reputation to Yeshiva as far as I can tell

Yeshiva Pros: A professor I would love to do research with (We are closely aligned in interests), the onsite clinic, the geronotorology track, and it is much closer to where I am from, and I have many friends there.
Yeshiva cons: it is SO expensive compared to Roosevelt- the school and the city

Roosevelt Pros: Cost. Similar reputation.
Roosevelt Cons: No friends there. No faculty member that I am particularly interested in working with (they'll support whatever research I want to do though..). Long winters can take a toll. No health insurance offered.
I interviewed at both and will be going to Roosevelt! PM me if you want to talk more :)

Apr 11, 2020
Status
Pre-Psychology
will do! also want to add, ive decided to reconsider chestnut hill college... It's in my city, but it's an additional year. Their internship APA match rate is slightly lower than the other schools but I am pretty confident in my abilities to become a strong candidate to match.
It's cheaper, I wouldn't have to move
however it doesn't teach CBT which I initially really wanted but now I'm finding that down to the wire- im not prioritizing it

niceman

5+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Massachusetts
Status
Psychology Student
will do! also want to add, ive decided to reconsider chestnut hill college... It's in my city, but it's an additional year. Their internship APA match rate is slightly lower than the other schools but I am pretty confident in my abilities to become a strong candidate to match.
however it doesn't teach CBT which I initially really wanted but now I'm finding that down to the wire- im not prioritizing it
Congrats on the offers! You may want to consider the theoretical orientation(s) of the programs and what settings you are interesting in working in. While some settings are more open to different theoretical orientation(s) (e.g., community mental health centers), you may have a difficult time getting into many AMCs without a solid foundation/application of CBT. Of course you can get training from practicum sites and it depends on your career goals, but it is something that may affect your practice and match (you'll need to write about your theoretical orientation for internship apps).

psych.meout

5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2015
Status
DO/PhD Student
Wait, they don't offer any training in any form of CBT?

About the Ads