"Help me decide" mega thread

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by IcedBennu, Mar 23, 2012.

1. wtfook

Psychology Student
    Honestly, my guess is that most of the people DON'T actually want to stay in Arizona and so are matching at places outside of Arizona on purpose and not because they couldn't find something in the state. Clinical PhD programs especially (less so for PsyD) tend to attract younger people who are in their mid to late 20s when facing internship year. Most of those people aren't restricted geographically due to family, spouses, etc... and so are highly interested in exploring another area of the country for a year and are highly likely to want to go after a major city or just not the general state where they did their degree.

If Arizona were a highly competitive area like major cities (Chicago, NYC, Philly, LA, SF, etc...) then I'd say it's cuz it's just freakin hard but honestly Arizona isn't a highly sought after region for internships. 10 for the entire state is VERY low. I'm pretty sure any of the cities I listed above easily have 10 or even 20 in various areas of psychology (college counseling, VA, hospital, outpatient, etc...). So another reason might just be that Arizona does not have that many sites and so people match outside of Arizona because whatever is available in Arizona got snatched up by a student from a different school. You have to consider the fact that there are many different types of internship sites. If you want to do assessment work with adults, you'd probably wanna apply to a hospital or VA setting. There might only be 3-5 of those in Arizona and people typically apply to 17 internships. Then of those 3-5 sites, maybe only 3 actually match with your experience and expertise, and maybe only 1 puts you as their first choice. So even if you ranked ALL 3 as your top 3 and one maybe in Nevada or Colorado as your 4th, it's possible you'll end up in a different state due to the lack of sites in Arizona.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MHlady2014

Classifieds Approved

Hey this is really helpful! Thanks so much!

4. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist

Psychologist
    ASU and UA are the only reputable schools in AZ. The others are predatory diploma mills. Many of us making clinical internships will not consider internship/postdoc applications from the diploma mills. Check out the accredited match rates on APPIC for verification of this.

psych.meout likes this.
  5. wtfook

Psychology Student
    Yeah no problem! I can feel your pain when it comes to needing to stay in a certain geographic region. It's something I'm thinking about a lot, even though I'm a couple years away from internship year. On one hand you've got your career to think about that you've worked really hard for. On the other you have loved ones or other obligations that necessitate you stick around. And sometimes the ideal situation may not arise. It's tough for sure.