This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wards&Mimosas

Reaction score
Hey all,

Haven't seen a thread created yet for this year's upcoming match and for some reason folks were commenting on the old one, so figured I'd make a new one here.

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I'll get this started. Things that are important to me are a fun city (preferably close to NJ but not absolutely necessary), fellowship support (Cards, pulm/cc, H/O), and overall reputation. Please help me rank:

1. GW
2. Einstein philly
3. Mt. Sinai Morningside/West
4. U Buffalo
5. SUNY Upstate

I understand that Buffalo and Upstate are "university programs" and einstein and MSMW are technically "community" but looking at their match lists they seem similar (einstein and MSMW might even be better) and I'd really rather live in NYC or Philly rather than Buffalo or Syracuse. I wanted to know if there really would be a big difference (specifically with research access and fellowship) at the community places? Any help is appreciated!

I'll get this started. Things that are important to me are a fun city (preferably close to NJ but not absolutely necessary), fellowship support (Cards, pulm/cc, H/O), and overall reputation. Please help me rank:

1. GW
2. Einstein philly
4. U Buffalo
5. SUNY Upstate

I understand that Buffalo and Upstate are "university programs" and einstein and MSMW are technically "community" but looking at their match lists they seem similar (einstein and MSMW might even be better) and I'd really rather live in NYC or Philly rather than Buffalo or Syracuse. I wanted to know if there really would be a big difference (specifically with research access and fellowship) at the community places? Any help is appreciated!
Both those community programs have good reputations and you should be good coming from either. This list looks good to me how you ranked it

Reactions: 1 user

1. GW
2. Einstein philly
4. U Buffalo
5. SUNY Upstate

I agree with your take on it. Those are all good programs, and I don't think you can go wrong with any. Choosing a "community" program may make a difference when they're not well known/have poor resources/reputation, but both Einstein Philly and MSMW are well-known in the Northeast and will give you solid training in preparation for fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)

1. GW
2. Einstein philly
4. U Buffalo
5. SUNY Upstate

That order seems fine to me. Einstein and MSW are comparable high end community programs and you could rank them based on liking Philly vs NYC. For what it's worth, Einstein's schedule is better though they both work hard. I'd definitely rank them above U Buffalo or Upstate for both fellowship placement and location unless you have a burning desire to freeze your butt off half the year.

1. GW
2. Einstein philly
4. U Buffalo
5. SUNY Upstate

Thanks for your replies guys! Do you think GW is good where it is? It prob better than Einstein or MSMW even tho its a smaller hospital right?

How about this list:

UTSW
Michigan
Mayo
NYU
Sinai
UPMC
UCSD
UVA
Colorado
WashU
Baylor

Interested in GI or Cards. No location preference. Basically only care about reputation

How about this list:

UTSW
Michigan
Mayo
NYU
Sinai
UPMC
UCSD
UVA
Colorado
WashU
Baylor

Interested in GI or Cards. No location preference. Basically only care about reputation
If all you care about is reputation, why is UVA above...anything.

Honestly, these are all pretty much a toss up. You'd actually do well to rank them by where you think you'd be happiest since you'll thrive there and that will give you the best opportunities going forward.

How about this list:

UTSW
Michigan
Mayo
NYU
Sinai
UPMC
UCSD
UVA
Colorado
WashU
Baylor

Personally if GI or Cards then first 5 should be Sinai, UTSW, NYU, Michigan, WashU in no particular order—they all have prob the same rep depending on who you ask. Mayo, UPMC to round out the top 7. But agree with @gutonc all of these places are in about the same echelon of reputation-ish so you should probably factor in other things when making your ROL. Cheers.

Reactions: 1 users
Revised List:

UTSW
NYU
Michigan
Sinai
WashU
Mayo
UPMC
Baylor
UCSD
Colorado
UVA

What other things to factor in ranking if you don't care about location? Multiple of these programs like UTSW, NY programs, etc. used to have 'malignant reputations' years ago but it seems a lot better now, Mayo's "cushiness" is probably overstated, UCSD's traditional non-x+y is fixed by clinic day being a full day, Colorado/UPMC 4+4 cushiness just resulted in more spread-out wards-weeks in PGY2 and PGY3 which probably comes out to a wash...

Revised List:

UTSW
NYU
Michigan
Sinai
WashU
Mayo
UPMC
Baylor
UCSD
Colorado
UVA

What other things to factor in ranking if you don't care about location? Multiple of these programs like UTSW, NY programs, etc. used to have 'malignant reputations' years ago but it seems a lot better now, Mayo's "cushiness" is probably overstated, UCSD's traditional non-x+y is fixed by clinic day being a full day, Colorado/UPMC 4+4 cushiness just resulted in more spread-out wards-weeks in PGY2 and PGY3 which probably comes out to a wash...
If your goal is to get into the top academic program in either GI or cards, I would probably group something like this (obviously not an exact science so take this with a grain of salt).
Michigan, WashU, UTSW
UPMC, Mayo, Mt. Sinai, NYU
UCSD, Baylor, Colorado, UVA

How you have it is totally fine though and I wouldn't overthink it if you feel good about it since you'll do well regardless. If your goal is to get into the best academic fellowship you can, the other factor to consider would be to go to a place where you have the most time to do research (so having a chiller schedulecould help), but having more time does not necessarily equal more productivity depending on your mentor so could be a wash. If your goal is just to match into a solid academic program, then all of these places would set you up well and I would probably focus more on location, training, and qol.

Here's my list:
  1. Brigham and Women's
  2. Mass Gen
  3. U Penn
  4. Beth Israel
  5. UCSF
  6. Stanford
  7. Columbia
  8. Northwestern
  9. Cornell
  10. Mt Sinai
  11. Wash U
  12. Michigan
  13. Colorado
Interested in Heme/onc as well as eventually going into pharma. SO got into business school in boston & Philly, which also tilts me towards those programs. They're also wait listed at some west coast business schools.

Hey!
I am leaning towards cardiology looking to stay in NE. Married with a dog and looking for a house so cost of living is very important as well.
Am trying to figure out at what point to slot in bigger city programs over smaller programs.

Stuck on Rochester/Dartmouth for 1 and then how far down to drop the bigger/more expensive programs.

First tier:
Rochester
Dartmouth

Second tier:
Tufts
Jeff
Maryland
Penn State
VCU

third tier:
GW
Vermont
Temple
Utah
Maine
Cooper

Rochester seems like a great fit, but I also loved everything about Dartmouth. Rankings I have seen have Dartmouth very low but I'm not sure why other than it being rural, their fellowship match is very strong? Would it be crazy to have Dartmouth over Rochester?

Hey!
I am leaning towards cardiology looking to stay in NE. Married with a dog and looking for a house so cost of living is very important as well.
Am trying to figure out at what point to slot in bigger city programs over smaller programs.

Stuck on Rochester/Dartmouth for 1 and then how far down to drop the bigger/more expensive programs.

[SNIP]

Rochester seems like a great fit, but I also loved everything about Dartmouth. Rankings I have seen have Dartmouth very low but I'm not sure why other than it being rural, their fellowship match is very strong? Would it be crazy to have Dartmouth over Rochester?
Dartmouth folks tend to self select for people who can/want to live in a rural, snowbound location. If it were in virtually any city of >200K people, it would be a "Top X" program. I loved that place. You're not crazy to rank it #1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

Just curious about peoples thoughts on my residency options and what people think could give me the best outcome. I am looking at going into Pulm/CC after IM and I wonder which of these programs would set me up to do this best. I don't really have much research under my belt, and I am looking to do some in residency. I would like to ultimately become a good clinician and potentially continue some sort of teaching role after I am an attending. Any insider information on how much people love/don't love these programs would be great too.

My options:

University: U Arizona Tucson, U New Mexico, Virginia Tech, Albany Medical College and U Nevada Las Vegas.
Community: Maine Medical Center, Kent/Brown RI, Valley Medical Las Vegas, Boise-UW, Providence Portland Medical Center, Providence St. Vincent Portland, Legacy Portland, Virginia Mason Seattle, Sacred Heart Spokane.

Also, I haven't posted on here in about 4 years, is there a better place for this question?

Hey!

First tier:
Rochester
Dartmouth

Second tier:
Tufts
Jeff
Maryland
Penn State
VCU

third tier:
GW
Vermont
Temple
Utah
Maine
Cooper

I’m not so sure first and second tier on your list are actually materially different. Maybe tufts and penn st could be moved a bit lower than the others but those could all be considered solid academic programs

Hello all,

Just curious about peoples thoughts on my residency options and what people think could give me the best outcome. I am looking at going into Pulm/CC after IM and I wonder which of these programs would set me up to do this best. I don't really have much research under my belt, and I am looking to do some in residency. I would like to ultimately become a good clinician and potentially continue some sort of teaching role after I am an attending. Any insider information on how much people love/don't love these programs would be great too.

My options:

University: U Arizona Tucson, U New Mexico, Virginia Tech, Albany Medical College and U Nevada Las Vegas.
Community: Maine Medical Center, Kent/Brown RI, Valley Medical Las Vegas, Boise-UW, Providence Portland Medical Center, Providence St. Vincent Portland, Legacy Portland, Virginia Mason Seattle, Sacred Heart Spokane.

Also, I haven't posted on here in about 4 years, is there a better place for this question?
The best place for it is where I moved it, the "Help Me Rank" thread we have every year.

How would you rank the programs?

Any thoughts on U Penn vs BIDMC? Seems like BI is seen as the "lesser" of the Harvard programs, so I'm wondering if that gets in the way of connecting with researchers/fellowship selection, etc.

The best place for it is where I moved it, the "Help Me Rank" thread we have every year.

How would you rank the programs?
Well probably:
UNM>V-tech>UA-Tucson>Albany>UNLV>Maine>Providence St V.>Providence PMC>Legacy>Virginia Mason>Valley LV>Sacred Heart>Boise>Kent/Brown.

Some could move up or down a few spots, but I guess this is how I'm thinking about it right now. What I have found to be important to me is seeing a wide range of pathology, cultural diversity, fellowship opportunities and generally a good vibe from the PD/residents on my interviews. Some places seem to encapsulate more of those than others.

How about this list:

UTSW
Michigan
Mayo
NYU
Sinai
UPMC
UCSD
UVA
Colorado
WashU
Baylor

Only care about reputation eh?

Mayo Clinic above all else. Don't even think about the state schools, and every other program's name is too confusing to Grandma Jane. And her opinion about reputation matters above all else. :shifty:

• Haha
Well probably:
UNM>V-tech>UA-Tucson>Albany>UNLV>Maine>Providence St V.>Providence PMC>Legacy>Virginia Mason>Valley LV>Sacred Heart>Boise>Kent/Brown.

Some could move up or down a few spots, but I guess this is how I'm thinking about it right now. What I have found to be important to me is seeing a wide range of pathology, cultural diversity, fellowship opportunities and generally a good vibe from the PD/residents on my interviews. Some places seem to encapsulate more of those than others.
Seems reasonable.

@Like

to bring it over from the old thread:

sunshinefl said:
1. Ocala

2. Blake
3. Trinity
4. Oak Hill
I am a 4th year like you, not claiming insider info, but from my own personal understanding as a med student in/from Florida

1. Ocala you are UCF employed not HCA employed, residents seem generally satisfied
2. Blake has 4+1, level 2 trauma going for it at least
3. Trinity has 4+1, can at least be in Tampa in 25 mins
4. Oak Hill has 4+1 but middle of nowhere

For an MD applicant interested in cardiology, would it be crazy to rank a community program with in-house fellowship over a mid-lower tier university program? (Leaving out issue of location.)

For example, community program vs University of Connecticut, University of Missouri (in Columbia), Penn State, West Virginia. By community program, I obviously don't mean Cleveland Clinic or Mayo Clinic.

It seems like if you go to a community program your best (almost only?) chance of matching to a competitive fellowship is in-house. However, for university programs, even if it's not top-tier place, you could also have a shot at outside programs.

Is PP still a real option coming from top tier places? Feel like I’m in a constant battle of wanting a competitive fellowship so I lean toward these big names, but I also don’t really want an academic career so I start leaning toward regional programs that take their own residents and/or match well outside of their program. Anyone else struggling with this for their list?

For an MD applicant interested in cardiology, would it be crazy to rank a community program with in-house fellowship over a mid-lower tier university program? (Leaving out issue of location.)

For example, community program vs University of Connecticut, University of Missouri (in Columbia), Penn State, West Virginia. By community program, I obviously don't mean Cleveland Clinic or Mayo Clinic.

It seems like if you go to a community program your best (almost only?) chance of matching to a competitive fellowship is in-house. However, for university programs, even if it's not top-tier place, you could also have a shot at outside programs.

Depends on the community program. Places like Mount Sinai West (formally St Lukes/Roosevelt), Einstein Philadelphia, etc send people to cardiology all the time.

Best thing to do is see how successful the programs graduates are at getting the fellowship you want.

Here's my list:
  1. Brigham and Women's
  2. Mass Gen
  3. U Penn
  4. Beth Israel
  5. UCSF
  6. Stanford
  7. Columbia
  8. Northwestern
  9. Cornell
  10. Mt Sinai
  11. Wash U
  12. Michigan
  13. Colorado
Interested in Heme/onc as well as eventually going into pharma. SO got into business school in boston & Philly, which also tilts me towards those programs. They're also wait listed at some west coast business schools.

Impressive......

Here's my list:
  1. Brigham and Women's
  2. Mass Gen
  3. U Penn
  4. Beth Israel
  5. UCSF
  6. Stanford
  7. Columbia
  8. Northwestern
  9. Cornell
  10. Mt Sinai
  11. Wash U
  12. Michigan
  13. Colorado

Has anyone told you yet that you’ll never find a heme onc spot from any of these residencies? Sorry.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I mean seriously. I’m not trying to be a dick. I know the younger posters around here don’t appreciate my style as much these days. But with that list you basically have to 1) don’t get a DUI, 2) don’t grab a nurses ass, and 3) don’t get cancelled for a stupid joke you told on Twitter five years ago that is triggering people in two years from now and you walk into a HO fellowship just about anywhere by having a pulse and being a solid resident.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I mean seriously. I’m not trying to be a dick. I know the younger posters around here don’t appreciate my style as much these days. But with that list you basically have to 1) don’t get a DUI, 2) don’t grab a nurses ass, and 3) don’t get cancelled for a stupid joke you told on Twitter five years ago that is triggering people in two years from now and you walk into a HO fellowship just about anywhere by having a pulse and being a solid resident.
Still holds true today.

Hey!

First tier:
Rochester
Dartmouth

Second tier:
Tufts
Jeff
Maryland
Penn State
VCU

third tier:
GW
Vermont
Temple
Utah
Maine
Cooper

At the end of the day, despite being named after an Ivy League undergrad campus, it is a hospital in rural white america which makes it significantly less competitive to match at compared to some others on your list. However, they still consistently match decently for a mid tier uni place.
If cards in New England is the goal, I’d actually argue the following:

Dartmouth (because you want to get a house)
Tufts=Jefferson
UMaryland=Rochester

flip coins for the rest.
While Jefferson has a slightly better name, Tufts tends to be a powerhouse for cards in New England, hence why it is higher for your specific list.

Interested in academic ID at a fairly respectable place after IM residency

Curious how you guys might alter the following list

UCLA
Cleveland Clinic
U of Virginia
Case Western
U Wisconsin
U Minnesota
Iowa
Indiana University
Utah
George Washington U
Rush
Illinois

One thing I'm really curious about is how good the cleveland clinic is, it's ranked high on doximity (for whatever that's worth) but seems to have a lot of IMGs and DOs (which isn't necessarily bad but is uncommon for academic programs) and I've read a lot of people say you don't get particularly good training because the hospital is fellow dominated

Another thing I was wondering is should I bump GWU up a few places considering you get to rotate through NIAID and that could potentially help me match into a good ID fellowship

Thanks guys

Any thoughts on U Penn vs BIDMC? Seems like BI is seen as the "lesser" of the Harvard programs, so I'm wondering if that gets in the way of connecting with researchers/fellowship selection, etc.
No it doesn’t. Look at their fellowship match list. Do not choose Penn over BIDMC for reputation/not being “the best” Harvard program if you’d rather be in Boston or want access to Harvard research network.

From the Southeast and interested in heme-onc.
Things I want in a program - good location (fun city), fellowship/research opportunities, and a friendly atmosphere. This is my current order:

Carolinas Medical Center - in-house fellowship, a small program in a big city, and Charlotte would be very exciting to live in.
Mayo-FL - in-house fellowship, smaller size program, near the beach, and very close to home.
Uni of Cincinnati - checks all the boxes but it is out of the southeast and I would be in the midwest with no friends/family :\
Wake Forest- great research + support from faculty, but I do not see myself living in Winston-Salem.
USC-Greenville - everyone seems friendly, no in-house fellowship but they match heme-onc every year, and I like the hospital system.

Like @Lu_Xun mentioned a few comments up - would it be absurd to rank a community program (Carolinas) over the university programs based on location and QOL? Or would it be wiser to choose the best program based on reputation? (to prevent closing any doors)
I greatly appreciate any input. Thanks in advance!

UCLA
Cleveland Clinic
U of Virginia
Case Western
U Wisconsin
U Minnesota
Iowa
Indiana University
Utah
George Washington U
Rush
Illinois

One thing I'm really curious about is how good the cleveland clinic is, it's ranked high on doximity (for whatever that's worth) but seems to have a lot of IMGs and DOs (which isn't necessarily bad but is uncommon for academic programs) and I've read a lot of people say you don't get particularly good training because the hospital is fellow dominated

Another thing I was wondering is should I bump GWU up a few places considering you get to rotate through NIAID and that could potentially help me match into a good ID fellowship

Thanks guys

Cleveland clinic is way too high and Minnesota/Wisco are too low. I was actually chatting with one of the (big shot) attendings that we recruited from CCF and he explained to me why the hospital ranking and the academic standing for the residency are so disparate. Apparently, the place is so metric driven and has such high throughput (i.e. it's a meatgrinder) that folks there are more pressured to go through high volumes rather than be thoughtful about teaching. Take that fwiw but I'd actually probably put Case Western higher than CCF personally, and I'd definitely rank minnesota and wisconson higher, but that's just me. That said, for your academic goals, you'll match at a great ID fellowship no matter which of these places you go to, so no worries there.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

UCLA/U Wisconsin/U Minnesota
Iowa/Indiana University/Utah
U of Virginia
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
George Washington U
Rush
Illinois

Thanks guys
Fixed it for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Go with your gut. In my mind Penn is definitely more reputable than BIDMC but at that level, it's pretty much moot (A rolls royce won't make you any less happy than a shinier rolls royce). You're also in the precarious situation where you have to balance all that out with a partner who's headed to b-school at (what I presume to be) major MBA programs at either Penn or Harvard. You might want to just follow them. B-school is hella fun. Trust me, you don't want to miss out on those shenanigans.

Last edited:
Would it be absurd to rank a community program (Carolinas) over the university programs based on location and QOL? Or would it be wiser to choose the best program based on reputation? (to prevent closing any doors)
I greatly appreciate any input. Thanks in advance!
No. It's not absurd. No.

I'm actually looking at a very similar list of programs. Everyone seems to hype Jefferson up, but looking at their fellowship matches through the years they seem quite underwhelming. There are couple of big name matches, but mostly by chiefs, with the rest being mediocre programs if that. Tufts seems significantly better on average. What's everyone's take on this?

Regional bias. Folks in/around Philly favor Jeff. Folks in/around Boston favor Tufts. I'm in between, so they're pretty equivocal to me. Jeff is on the up and up though with a ton of money and expansion while Tufts is kinda pigeonholed into a corner without much growth potential in a super saturated area, but Tufts might carry the bigger name the further you get out of New England.

Interested in cardiology but not really interested in a super academic career. Will definitely try to stay in this central/SE region for fellowship+job.

1) WashU
2) UAB
3) UTSW

UTSW has crazy good match lists and incredible cardiology exposure, but I didn’t really vibe with the limited number of residents I met. That paired with the 4+1 schedule and past malignant rep makes me a little uneasy. Loved my day at UAB and how happy everyone seemed. They seem to take their own for fellowship, so that’s a big plus since I hear the cardiology program is clinically really strong(?). Not sure how their training matches up with these other two though. WashU had my favorite interview interactions and the residents were really nice. Formal mentorship program that is very personalized was cool, and their match lists are always super impressive.

FWIW, basic science is definitely not my thing and seemed like a huge emphasis at WashU and UTSW. Liked the serving the underserved emphasis at UTSW and UAB but didn’t really get that vibe from WashU. Would be happy in any of the cities. Very torn ranking these 3, so I would appreciate some other opinions. Thanks!

What’s wrong with a 4+1 schedule?
From what their residents said, their outpatient exposure is super limited and they are forced to cram research into that 1 week when they have downtime. They said they’re working to change the schedule to address some of this, but it won’t be ready for next year’s class. I don’t necessarily think 4+1 is bad, but I do like the extra elective time the other schedules allow for. Maybe it’s not that big of a deal though?

Interested in cardiology but not really interested in a super academic career. Will definitely try to stay in this central/SE region for fellowship+job.

1) WashU
2) UAB
3) UTSW

WashU might have a the slight edge here but none of these programs will limit you in any way whatsoever. They're all incredibly powerful/upper echelon type of programs so honestly just go where you felt like you vibed the most.

In terms of X+Y though, I went to a program that did 4+2 and loved it. Couldn't imagine being anywhere else. It also has the added benefit of limiting a big class size to a more manageable group of folks (you tend to hang out with people on your +Y since you know everyone's free at that time). I didn't feel like I was hard pressed for electives or research time. Having those 2 reliable golden weekends at the end of every 4 week block was clutch. If anything I was REALLY glad that I never got scheduled for anything like MICU-->Floors-->CCU. I knew someone who was scheduled like that once and they legit started sounding clinically depressed by the end of it.

WashU might have a the slight edge here but none of these programs will limit you in any way whatsoever. They're all incredibly powerful/upper echelon type of programs so honestly just go where you felt like you vibed the most.

In terms of X+Y though, I went to a program that did 4+2 and loved it. Couldn't imagine being anywhere else. It also has the added benefit of limiting a big class size to a more manageable group of folks (you tend to hang out with people on your +Y since you know everyone's free at that time). I didn't feel like I was hard pressed for electives or research time. Having those 2 reliable golden weekends at the end of every 4 week block was clutch. If anything I was REALLY glad that I never got scheduled for anything like MICU-->Floors-->CCU. I knew someone who was scheduled like that once and they legit started sounding clinically depressed by the end of it.
Really appreciate your insight. I feel like I’m splitting hairs with these 3, so schedule may end up playing a significant role. They’re all X+Y but very different setups. 4+1 (UTSW), 8+4 (UAB, 4+4 after intern year), and 4+2+2 (WashU, last +2 is an elective). I’ll keep mulling over them and see where my gut takes me. Thanks again!

Hi everyone, appreciate any advice. Thinking I want to do hem/onc and eventually end up on either west or east coast (probably PP over academic). Looking for a strong program that has the best overall QoL.

UVA
OHSU
Wisconsin
WashU
Northwestern
UChicago
Baylor

I can't decide which is better: night float (NW, WashU) vs 28hr shifts (Uchicago, Baylor, UVA) or X+y (uchicago, UVA, OHSU, WashU) vs traditional (NW, Wisconsin). Thanks!

• Hmm
Hi everyone, appreciate any advice. Thinking I want to do hem/onc and eventually end up on either west or east coast (probably PP over academic). Looking for a strong program that has the best overall QoL.

UVA
OHSU
Wisconsin
WashU
Northwestern
UChicago
Baylor

I can't decide which is better: night float (NW, WashU) vs 28hr shifts (Uchicago, Baylor, UVA) or X+y (uchicago, UVA, OHSU, WashU) vs traditional (NW, Wisconsin). Thanks!

Current intern here. To your last question, night float >>>> 28 hr call and X+Y >> traditional. Where I'm at (a midwest University program) we get like 1-2 hrs of sleep on our night calls so the 28 hrs can be brutal (we have both NF and 28hr). Trust me you will be a happier person with night float where you can flip your schedule for a couple weeks instead of being a zombie every 4th day. The x+y is less clear cut but to me, the only con of the x+y at our program is managing your clinic patient's med refills and other requests while on wards weeks. The y week every 5th week is just rejuvenating.

I didn't interview at any of the ones on your list last year but looking back, you definitely have the right approach with QoL being the top factor and things like reputation being secondary. Really think about the type of city you would want to live in. Proximity to family was also important, especially this year where there has been zero socialization between the residents in my program.

1) WashU
2) UAB
3) UTSW

UTSW has crazy good match lists and incredible cardiology exposure, but I didn’t really vibe with the limited number of residents I met. That paired with the 4+1 schedule and past malignant rep makes me a little uneasy. Loved my day at UAB and how happy everyone seemed. They seem to take their own for fellowship, so that’s a big plus since I hear the cardiology program is clinically really strong(?). Not sure how their training matches up with these other two though. WashU had my favorite interview interactions and the residents were really nice. Formal mentorship program that is very personalized was cool, and their match lists are always super impressive.

FWIW, basic science is definitely not my thing and seemed like a huge emphasis at WashU and UTSW. Liked the serving the underserved emphasis at UTSW and UAB but didn’t really get that vibe from WashU. Would be happy in any of the cities. Very torn ranking these 3, so I would appreciate some other opinions. Thanks!

I trained at Parkland but before the whole 4 + 1 thing (so yeah imagine driving from lame duck call at Parkland MICU to VA general wards intern year lol). if you wanna do cardiology, its pretty hard to top a place like UTSW given the exposure you're getting doing all those cardiology months with big time faculty. i don't think the program is quite as rigorous as before so take that FWIW. I didn't interview at WashU or UAB since I did not want to live in St Louis or Birmingham even if was just for 3 years. You'll get great training at all 3 institutions.... UTSW and WashU might have the slightest edge IMO as far as national appeal. Good luck

UVA
OHSU
Wisconsin
WashU
Northwestern
UChicago
Baylor

I would probably prioritize city/reputation in your case over details like call/schedule (assuming there aren't issues with the overall culture or any egregious schedule issues). Sure, the schedule can affect your day-to-day hapiness to some degree, but you end up adapting and don't really think about it too much once you're in the thick of things. I would personally tier your list like:
UChicago/NW/Wash U
Baylor/OHSU
UVA
Wisconsin