This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wards&Mimosas

Reaction score
Hey all,

Haven't seen a thread created yet for this year's upcoming match and for some reason folks were commenting on the old one, so figured I'd make a new one here.

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Interested in cardiology but not really interested in a super academic career. Will definitely try to stay in this central/SE region for fellowship+job.

1) WashU
2) UAB
3) UTSW

UTSW has crazy good match lists and incredible cardiology exposure, but I didn’t really vibe with the limited number of residents I met. That paired with the 4+1 schedule and past malignant rep makes me a little uneasy. Loved my day at UAB and how happy everyone seemed. They seem to take their own for fellowship, so that’s a big plus since I hear the cardiology program is clinically really strong(?). Not sure how their training matches up with these other two though. WashU had my favorite interview interactions and the residents were really nice. Formal mentorship program that is very personalized was cool, and their match lists are always super impressive.

FWIW, basic science is definitely not my thing and seemed like a huge emphasis at WashU and UTSW. Liked the serving the underserved emphasis at UTSW and UAB but didn’t really get that vibe from WashU. Would be happy in any of the cities. Very torn ranking these 3, so I would appreciate some other opinions. Thanks!
Trained at UAB. Currently fellowship elsewhere. In comparison to my current institution, folks (even the senior ones) at UAB were remarkably collegial. Lots of cardiology exposure, I felt the training was good.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! Looking for help with my rank list - I am applying internal medicine this year and pretty set on cardiology. I am very thankful for my options - my top being Mt. Sinai, UTSW, WashU, Northwestern, Emory, Baylor, UPMC, UNC among some other great programs. I have a red mark on my future cardiology application - i received a 229 on USMLE Step 1. My advisors have told me, although this is not a large issue it will screen me out of some top notch cardiology fellowships? I was able to get a 255 on the Step 2 but not sure how much that helps.

Either way - my goals are to become an academic cardiologist and hope to go to a great academic program. Is there a consensus among these programs that seem to be better for achieving that goal? I am couple's matching with a SO who is also very interested in cardiology - she has same options + a few more of the big dogs in NYC. We hope to couples match for cards fellowship as well. My gut says to go with Sinai, though I liked some other programs a lot (UTSW/WashU) and they may be higher ranked. Appreciate any help

Hello! Looking for help with my rank list - I am applying internal medicine this year and pretty set on cardiology. I am very thankful for my options - my top being Mt. Sinai, UTSW, WashU, Northwestern, Emory, Baylor, UPMC, UNC among some other great programs. I have a red mark on my future cardiology application - i received a 229 on USMLE Step 1. My advisors have told me, although this is not a large issue it will screen me out of some top notch cardiology fellowships? I was able to get a 255 on the Step 2 but not sure how much that helps.

Either way - my goals are to become an academic cardiologist and hope to go to a great academic program. Is there a consensus among these programs that seem to be better for achieving that goal? I am couple's matching with a SO who is also very interested in cardiology - she has same options + a few more of the big dogs in NYC. We hope to couples match for cards fellowship as well. My gut says to go with Sinai, though I liked some other programs a lot (UTSW/WashU) and they may be higher ranked. Appreciate any help
Moved to the IM ROL thread where it belongs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor over UVA? What Tier of programs is UVA even in
Overall they probably have a similar reputation but I would give Baylor the edge specifically for heme/onc given the opportunities to work with mentors at MDA. Both in the gray area between 'top tier' and 'mid tier'

Don't overthink it and go with your gut in this case. Those are all reputable programs, and you should be in decent shape to achieve your goals coming from any of those. Don't think UTSW or WashU are so much better that you have to rank them ahead of Sinai

Please help me rank IM programs. Interested in GI fellowship/academic career.

1. Cleveland Clinic Ohio.
2. Case Western UH.
3. U Wisconsin.
4. Boston University.
5. U. Miami.
6. Montefiore NYC.
7. UT San Antonio.
8. UTH Houston.
9. Uni of Kansas.
10. University of Oklahoma.
11. University of Florida Gainsville.
12. Indiana University.

Please help me rank IM programs. Interested in GI fellowship/academic career.

1. Cleveland Clinic Ohio.
2. Case Western UH.
3. U Wisconsin.
4. Boston University.
5. U. Miami.
6. Montefiore NYC.
7. UT San Antonio.
8. UTH Houston.
9. Uni of Kansas.
10. University of Oklahoma.
11. University of Florida Gainsville.
12. Indiana University.
Wisconsin/Indiana
BU/Miami/Monde/UTSA/UT Houston/Case
CCF
Oklahoma/Florida

Wisconsin/Indiana
BU/Miami/Monde/UTSA/UT Houston/Case
CCF
Oklahoma/Florida
So do you think between Wisconsin and Indiana there isn't a big difference in training and match success?

Just curious because one is closer to home and I've been struggling with how to structure my list

edit: also, is "no meat, no treat" a pink floyd reference?

So do you think between Wisconsin and Indiana there isn't a big difference in training and match success?

Just curious because one is closer to home and I've been struggling with how to structure my list

edit: also, is "no meat, no treat" a pink floyd reference?
I think they're the 2 "best" programs on that list and I'd rank them by geographic or other preference. For me it would be Madison by a mile. But some people dig Indiancrapolis.

And no, it's a reference to being an oncologist.

Reactions: 1 user
I think they're the 2 "best" programs on that list and I'd rank them by geographic or other preference. For me it would be Madison by a mile. But some people dig Indiancrapolis.

And no, it's a reference to being an oncologist.
Thank you

And that makes much more sense now, I thought it was referring to "if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding, how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat" from Pink Floyd the wall, with treat referring to pudding for dessert (Maybe I need to sleep more)

Hey, y’all! When I grow up, I want to be a hospitalist at an academic medical center. The dream is to work at a public/safety net hospital and teach on the side. With that said, I have divided my residency options into two categories. In the “Southwest” bucket I have programs that are within my home region (near my family) and in low-cost cities where I can afford a nicer quality of life on a resident salary. In the “Fancy-schmancy” bucket, I have some excellent programs that I would be delighted to attend, but the distance from my family and/or the cost of living intimidate me a bit. Baylor is my top pick because it has the best of both worlds. My question is: which bucket would you draw your second and third picks from?

Southwest:
-Baylor College of Medicine (Houston, TX)
-Dell Medical School (Austin, TX)
-McGovern Medical School (Houston, TX)
-Long Medical School (San Antonio, TX)
-University of New Mexico (Albuquerque, NM)
-University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ)
-University of Arizona-Phoenix (Phoenix, AZ)
-University of Nevada Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV)

Fancy-schmancy:
-Cornell/New York Presbyterian (New York, NY)
-NYU Grossman School of Medicine (New York, NY)
-Emory University (Atlanta, GA)
-University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (Pittsburgh, PA)
-University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA)
-Rush University Medical Center (Chicago, IL)
-University of Miami (Miami, FL)

Thanks! :)

Well probably:
UNM>V-tech>UA-Tucson>Albany>UNLV>Maine>Providence St V.>Providence PMC>Legacy>Virginia Mason>Valley LV>Sacred Heart>Boise>Kent/Brown.

Some could move up or down a few spots, but I guess this is how I'm thinking about it right now. What I have found to be important to me is seeing a wide range of pathology, cultural diversity, fellowship opportunities and generally a good vibe from the PD/residents on my interviews. Some places seem to encapsulate more of those than others.
Hi there,

I'd like to know more about why Brown/Kent is so low on the list

I'll get this started. Things that are important to me are a fun city (preferably close to NJ but not absolutely necessary), fellowship support (Cards, pulm/cc, H/O), and overall reputation. Please help me rank:

1. GW
2. Einstein philly
3. Mt. Sinai Morningside/West
4. U Buffalo
5. SUNY Upstate

I understand that Buffalo and Upstate are "university programs" and einstein and MSMW are technically "community" but looking at their match lists they seem similar (einstein and MSMW might even be better) and I'd really rather live in NYC or Philly rather than Buffalo or Syracuse. I wanted to know if there really would be a big difference (specifically with research access and fellowship) at the community places? Any help is appreciated!
Where would you add Stony Brook to this list based on fellowship match and training?

Hello everyone, I am a Non-US IMG (Visa requiring) and needed your help in ranking the following places. My future fellowship interest is in Heme-Onc or GI, location preference is secondary to the academic strength of the program and fellowship chances. My current RoL looks as follows, please advise:

1. Mount Sinai Morningside/west
2. University of Louisville
3. Cook County
4. Jacobi Medical Center
5. University of Missouri, Columbia
6. Creighton University, Omaha
7. SUNY Downstate
8. Cooper medical school of Rowan university
9. Medstar Washington Hospital Center
10. Yale Bridgeport
11. Rochester General Hospital
12. Michigan State University/ Sparrow Hospital
13. Western Michigan University - Homer Stryker
14. University of Maryland Midtown Campus
15. St Vincent, Worcester
16. University of Hawaii

Members don't see this ad :)

You got interview at a lot top programs with a not so good step1. Great job!

Last edited:
Rank for IM residency: Brown, UVA, Cedars-Sinai, Cleveland Clinic
I know I want to do cardiology but its really tough trying to figure out which of these programs will make me the most competitive applicant. I am getting so much conflicting advice from mentors and peers

Hey, y’all! When I grow up, I want to be a hospitalist at an academic medical center. The dream is to work at a public/safety net hospital and teach on the side. With that said, I have divided my residency options into two categories. In the “Southwest” bucket I have programs that are within my home region (near my family) and in low-cost cities where I can afford a nicer quality of life on a resident salary. In the “Fancy-schmancy” bucket, I have some excellent programs that I would be delighted to attend, but the distance from my family and/or the cost of living intimidate me a bit. Baylor is my top pick because it has the best of both worlds. My question is: which bucket would you draw your second and third picks from?

Your fancy bucket every day of the week particularly places like ATL/Pitt if the COL of NYC/Chi/LA are a bit much

I know I want to do cardiology but its really tough trying to figure out which of these programs will make me the most competitive applicant. I am getting so much conflicting advice from mentors and peers
1. Moved to IM Rank List Thread where it belongs
2. They're all so similar that it frankly doesn't matter. Rank them how you liked them. Your performance, not the program (of those 4) will be the deciding factor.

1. Moved to IM Rank List Thread where it belongs
2. They're all so similar that it frankly doesn't matter. Rank them how you liked them. Your performance, not the program (of those 4) will be the deciding factor.
Thank you. I appreciate the advice

Personally, I would have UVA at the top followed Brown, CCF, Cedars-Sinai in that order. Even though Cleveland Clinic's match list looks relatively good, there are too many red flags about the program highlighted here on sdn/the spreadsheets for me to feel comfortable ranking it highly. And even though Cedars has a good cards program, I think it's better to go to true academic program.

Hey, so I am pretty much finished up with interviews for Internal Med residencies. It has been a great experience so far, and I am having some difficulty choosing the best residency for me with regards to matching Cardiology since I have a lower step 1 score. Below are my top programs in no specific order and I would love to hear from you all about which programs would give me the best chance of matching into Cardiology. Location is not a concern. Thanks in advance!

1. UT Houston
2. UF
3. MUSC
4. UTMB
5. Tulane University
6. Temple University
7. Zucker Hofstra LIJ/NS
8. Medical College of Wisconsin
9. UT Austin
10. LSU New Orleans
11. University of Vermont
12. University of Arizona - Tucson
13. University of Arizona - Phoenix
14. Loma Linda University
Moved to Rank List thread where it belongs.

Hey, so I am pretty much finished up with interviews for Internal Med residencies. It has been a great experience so far, and I am having some difficulty choosing the best residency for me with regards to matching Cardiology since I have a lower step 1 score. Below are my top programs in no specific order and I would love to hear from you all about which programs would give me the best chance of matching into Cardiology. Location is not a concern. Thanks in advance!

1. UT Houston
2. UF
3. MUSC
4. UTMB
5. Tulane University
6. Temple University
7. Zucker Hofstra LIJ/NS
8. Medical College of Wisconsin
9. UT Austin
10. LSU New Orleans
11. University of Vermont
12. University of Arizona - Tucson
13. University of Arizona - Phoenix
14. Loma Linda University

I think you should rank them in your tentative order first before asking

Things that are important to me are a fun city (preferably close to NJ but not absolutely necessary), fellowship support (Cards, pulm/cc, H/O), and overall reputation. Please help me rank:

1. GW
2. Einstein philly
4. Stonybrook
5. U Buffalo
6. SUNY Upstate

Wondering if I should move up Stonybrook to #2 for better fellowship opps? I would just much rather live in Philly or NYC.

Things that are important to me are a fun city (preferably close to NJ but not absolutely necessary), fellowship support (Cards, pulm/cc, H/O), and overall reputation. Please help me rank:

1. GW
2. Einstein philly
4. Stonybrook
5. U Buffalo
6. SUNY Upstate

Wondering if I should move up Stonybrook to #2 for better fellowship opps? I would just much rather live in Philly or NYC.
Are there fun cities anymore? I mean, maybe by your PGY3 year you'll be able to get out and do stuff again.

List seems reasonable and none of those places really stand out as significantly better/worse. How much exposure do you get at SLR to real Sinai these days?

The main factors for me were an affordable city, good QOL, SE location, strong clinical training, and solid cardiology match.

1. UAB
2. WashU
3. UTSW
4. Yale
5. MUSC
6. Wake Forest
7. UT Houston
8. Texas A&M

Top 3 rotate daily for me. Yale was great but didn’t feel like as good of a fit for my career interests (super academic feel there). Pretty torn on WF vs MUSC. UT Houston apparently had an awful cardiology match this year and interview setup was terrible.

Are there fun cities anymore? I mean, maybe by your PGY3 year you'll be able to get out and do stuff again.

List seems reasonable and none of those places really stand out as significantly better/worse. How much exposure do you get at SLR to real Sinai these days?
I think at SLR you may get a month or two to do rotations at main Sinai but prob not too much more. My only hang up is that Stonybrook seems to be proper uni program with all the resources so idk how much of a disadvantage it would be to go to Einstein or SLR over Stony.

Also do you think MSMW should be ranked above Einstein due to the Sinai affiliation?

The main factors for me were an affordable city, good QOL, SE location, strong clinical training, and solid cardiology match.

1. UAB
2. WashU
3. UTSW
4. Yale
5. MUSC
6. Wake Forest
7. UT Houston
8. Texas A&M

Top 3 rotate daily for me. Yale was great but didn’t feel like as good of a fit for my career interests (super academic feel there). Pretty torn on WF vs MUSC. UT Houston apparently had an awful cardiology match this year and interview setup was terrible.
Yeah similar to you I was very disappointed with the Cardiology match at ut houston and spoke to a med student there and apparently multiple went unmatched and there's no clear reason why. I think I'll be dropping them lower now for me

Yeah similar to you I was very disappointed with the Cardiology match at ut houston and spoke to a med student there and apparently multiple went unmatched and there's no clear reason why. I think I'll be dropping them lower now for me
Really unfortunate situation. I’ll be curious to see if any explanation comes out considering they usually match pretty well.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I am a Non-US IMG (Visa requiring) and needed your help in ranking the following places. My future fellowship interest is in Heme-Onc or GI, location preference is secondary to the academic strength of the program and fellowship chances. My current RoL looks as follows, please advise:

1. Mount Sinai Morningside/west
2. University of Louisville
3. Cook County
4. Jacobi Medical Center
5. University of Missouri, Columbia
6. Creighton University, Omaha
7. SUNY Downstate
8. Cooper medical school of Rowan university
9. Medstar Washington Hospital Center
10. Yale Bridgeport
11. Rochester General Hospital
12. Michigan State University/ Sparrow Hospital
13. Western Michigan University - Homer Stryker
14. University of Maryland Midtown Campus
15. St Vincent, Worcester
16. University of Hawaii

So U of Louisville is a university program. Probably the strongest on your list. Huge catchment area. Louisville also a very underrated city with low COL.

Man this is impossible I change my mind every hour. Want to end up in a good academic cards fellowship. Thoughts? really confused about what to do with Cedars and CCF
  1. Brown
  2. UVA
  3. Cedars
  4. loyola
  5. Rush
  6. UIC
  7. Wake forest
  8. UTH
  9. OSU
  10. CCF
  11. KU
  12. Houston Methodist
  13. Iowa

Last edited:
Man this is impossible I change my mind every hour. Want to end up in a good academic cards fellowship. Thoughts?
  1. Brown
  2. UVA
  3. Cedars
  4. loyola
  5. Rush
  6. UIC
  7. Wake forest
  8. UTH
  9. OSU
  10. CCF
  11. KU
  12. Houston Methodist
  13. Iowa
All I can say is it feels odd to have brown #1 unless you absolutely loved the program. It’s not bad but forget the Ivy League name it’s by no means a powerhouse

All I can say is it feels odd to have brown #1 unless you absolutely loved the program. It’s not bad but forget the Ivy League name it’s by no means a powerhouse
yeah I get that. I thought brown=UVA from their match lists. My intention is to try to go to a bigger program rather than stay in house

Man this is impossible I change my mind every hour. Want to end up in a good academic cards fellowship. Thoughts? really confused about what to do with Cedars and CCF
  1. Brown
  2. UVA
  3. Cedars
  4. loyola
  5. Rush
  6. UIC
  7. Wake forest
  8. UTH
  9. OSU
  10. CCF
  11. KU
  12. Houston Methodist
  13. Iowa
When I was interviewing last year, I ranked Brown lower because it did not have an X+Y block schedule. Not sure what they have now, but I was told to beware of this.

I think at SLR you may get a month or two to do rotations at main Sinai but prob not too much more. My only hang up is that Stonybrook seems to be proper uni program with all the resources so idk how much of a disadvantage it would be to go to Einstein or SLR over Stony.

Also do you think MSMW should be ranked above Einstein due to the Sinai affiliation?
SB is technically more academic than MSNW and Einstein but their match list isn’t particularly impressive. I’d rank based on location and feel over how theoretically academic they are. All of them are tertiary centers with research and rotating med students and all that good stuff.

SB is technically more academic than MSNW and Einstein but their match list isn’t particularly impressive. I’d rank based on location and feel over how theoretically academic they are. All of them are tertiary centers with research and rotating med students and all that good stuff.
Is there any difference between MSMW and Einstein? I feel like the faculty at MSMW are probably better connected than the ones at Einstein? But MSMW is also a much larger program than Einstein which I feel like isn't a good thing in terms of forming relationships with attendings. Also Einstein's hospital seems to have more services than MSMW like liver and kidney transplants (but idk if this is relevant to residents?).

1. Brown
  2. UVA
  3. Cedars
  4. loyola
  5. Rush
  6. UIC
  7. Wake forest
  8. UTH
  9. OSU
  10. CCF
  11. KU
  12. Houston Methodist
  13. Iowa
Ccf, Iowa, and OSU should be higher ranked imo. I agree with everything else

So basically, I've narrowed it down to these two programs for number one on my rank list. I really want to stay in Chicago where I grew up, so both of these programs meet that requirement.

I want to make this decision based on aspects of the program themselves, but I'm having trouble differentiating the two, and there are some concerns I have about each. I know that both are good academic programs and would be good places where I can get strong clinical training as well as opportunities to do research in whichever field I decide to pursue.

I do have a few reservations about each program though, and I'm hoping someone here could maybe offer some insight into how to weigh these factors.

Loyola University
Pros:
  1. Possibly a better hospital than UIC, and more well regarded/prestigious. They are leaders in things like transplant, oncology, and cardiovascular medicine
  2. Program seems incredibly proud of their well established 4+1 schedule which they have been tinkering with for many years already
Cons:
  1. I hear that the residents there are relatively unhappy and often overworked, though none of them really said this was a big deal on interview day. I really don't wanna end up at a program where I get burnt out and worked to death unnecessarily
  2. They are absorbing 25 residents from a nearby program that is going broke. 19 of them will be PGY-3s and 6 PGY-2s. None will be in the incoming intern class which I would be a part of. Some have said that maybe this dilutes/decreases the prestige of the program because these 25 residents are mostly IMGs. The PD says it's actually a plus because with more residents we get more flexibility when it comes to scheduling
  3. There are two senior residents on their wards teams and ICU teams, which I've been told is a negative since being the senior resident on your team is basically preparation for becoming an attending and you'd be much better prepared by being the only senior resident on a wards team.

University of Illinois Chicago
Pros:
  1. Best vibe of any program I interviewed at. A lot of IM programs say that they are a family but this was the only one where I felt that on the interview day and actually believed them.
  2. Loved the PD
  3. Faculty are all required to be full time clinicians, researchers and educators at UIC, and none of them are in private practice. They are all employed by the University and so they claim that each of them is a great teacher and devoted only to being at the hospital and there for the residents. Plus they are all involved in research projects and would be able to help you with pretty much anything you're interested in getting involved with
  4. Most of their graduates seem to return to UIC for fellowship and attending positions, which goes to support the family atmosphere of the program
Cons:
  1. Program may be less prestigious than Loyola (I'm unsure actually what the perception of this program is by the general medical community, but when I checked US World & News' hospital rankings, Loyola was 'nationally ranked' in 5 disciplines and 'high performing' in 5 other disciplines, whereas UIC was 'nationally ranked' in 0 disciplines and 'high performing' in 2 other disciplines.
  2. They have a 12+2 schedule with 12 consecutive weeks of inpatient services followed by 2 weeks of ambulatory clinic. During the 12 weeks you would have one weekly half day clinic, so their schedule really doesn't seem to be the greatest
  3. I've been told that while this program gives their residents an incredible amount of autonomy at their resident-run hospital, they are not exactly the richest program and may not have all the cush resources that another program like Rush or Northwestern would have in Chicago.
I'm hoping someone here who is a current or past resident could just give me their thoughts on all these things. It's tough for me to know which of these are actually important and worth considering, and which are actually not all that important, but just something that M4s like to freak out about but don't have any real bearing on anything.

Also, if you are a resident at either of these programs, or know or have heard something about these programs, I'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD SHARE THAT WITH ME PLEASE!!!!!

totally agree. Those were the ones I had a hard time with due to location. Where do you think CCF should be?
Ccf should be at 7 right above wake imo. Both are solid but ccf has a bigger name and more urban setting which i would personally prefer. Still don't get why some people look down on ccf. It's a world renowned hospital with excellent fellowship match.

So U of Louisville is a university program. Probably the strongest on your list. Huge catchment area. Louisville also a very underrated city with low COL.
Hello, Thank you so much! I also recently received an invite and interviewed at the University of Arkansas and the program seemed pretty strong as well. They also seemed to take their own for fellowship. Where would you suggest I put it on my ROL, and how does it compare to U of Louisville in your opinion? Thanks !

Could someone give me their honest opinions of these four programs? I’m really struggling with the top of my rank list?

- UC Irvine
- Loyola University
- University of Texas Houston
- University of Illinois Chicago

@gutonc Any advice you’ve got for me?

They’re all midtier academic programs that will give you decent training for IM. I would rank UTH and UCI higher than the other two Chicago ones, since I’m partial to warm climates.

You should probably give more details about your career interests, goals, and geographic preferences so that people can then guide you about whether a specific program can cater to those.

They’re all midtier academic programs that will give you decent training for IM. I would rank UTH and UCI higher than the other two Chicago ones, since I’m partial to warm climates.

You should probably give more details about your career interests, goals, and geographic preferences so that people can then guide you about whether a specific program can cater to those.
Sure, I can do that!

My career goals are to pursue a pulmonary and critical care fellowship. I'd like to become an intensivist at a tertiary care facility at the height of my career. I'm not interested in pursuing research in and of itself, but I know that research is important for fellowship placement and I want to keep as many doors open for myself as possible, so in that regard I see research as a means to an end.

What I want most in a residency program is excellent clinical training. I want to be exposed to a lot of things and master as many things as I can during my three years of residency so that by the end of it, I am as best of a clinician as I can be.

That said, I also want to strike the right balance between working hard to receive great training and being overworked just for the sake of being overworked. That is kind of what makes me wary of Loyola and UIC. I hear rumors that these programs (Loyola in particular) work their residents to the bone. I'm not afraid of working hard and I anticipate 80 hour work weeks, but I don't want to just slave away at a program if it isn't making me better at doing my job. Then again, I understand that these are just rumors and reputation and honestly don't know how to verify them and what to make of it all.

As for location, I'm not incredibly picky. I moved around the country a lot growing up and so I don't have any strong ties to one particular region, all I really want is to live in a fun and lively place, which is why these are my top four programs as Southern california, houston and chicago are all pretty cool places.

Sure, I can do that!

My career goals are to pursue a pulmonary and critical care fellowship. I'd like to become an intensivist at a tertiary care facility at the height of my career. I'm not interested in pursuing research in and of itself, but I know that research is important for fellowship placement and I want to keep as many doors open for myself as possible, so in that regard I see research as a means to an end.

What I want most in a residency program is excellent clinical training. I want to be exposed to a lot of things and master as many things as I can during my three years of residency so that by the end of it, I am as best of a clinician as I can be.

That said, I also want to strike the right balance between working hard to receive great training and being overworked just for the sake of being overworked. That is kind of what makes me wary of Loyola and UIC. I hear rumors that these programs (Loyola in particular) work their residents to the bone. I'm not afraid of working hard and I anticipate 80 hour work weeks, but I don't want to just slave away at a program if it isn't making me better at doing my job. Then again, I understand that these are just rumors and reputation and honestly don't know how to verify them and what to make of it all.

As for location, I'm not incredibly picky. I moved around the country a lot growing up and so I don't have any strong ties to one particular region, all I really want is to live in a fun and lively place, which is why these are my top four programs as Southern california, houston and chicago are all pretty cool places.
Loyola, UIC, and Ut houston will have you work very hard. Chicago is a great city tho and Houston is ok as well. Again no input on UCI from me

Is there any difference between MSMW and Einstein? I feel like the faculty at MSMW are probably better connected than the ones at Einstein? But MSMW is also a much larger program than Einstein which I feel like isn't a good thing in terms of forming relationships with attendings. Also Einstein's hospital seems to have more services than MSMW like liver and kidney transplants (but idk if this is relevant to residents?).

I think the difference between the two is more about cheesesteaks vs bagels than it is about the nitty gritty between the programs. Einstein sends plenty of people to excellent fellowships, though idk how much is from attending connections. I‘d pick based on location and how you felt on your interview.

FWIW Einstein has a slightly better schedule but MSMW has a better cafeteria.

Hey everyone, just finished up my interviews and need some help in making my rank list, as I am pretty torn about a few of my choices in the middle of my list!

My SO is also in medicine, but a year below me (also wants to do IM), so location is pretty important to me. Both her and I want to be in NYC or Philly (NYC > Philly) as they are both close to our family and friend, which we value a lot. That being said, I also value being able to match well in a competitive fellowship (likely Cards) and would like to be involved with healthcare technology in some form in the future as part of my career - so opportunities outside of true academic medicine are also of consideration for me personally!

My list as of now is as follows:
1) Cornell
2) Sinai
3/4) Jeff vs Monte
5) BU
6) Brown
7) Temple
8/9/10) UMD vs NJMS vs RWJ
11) Tufts
12) Northwell-LIJ (Hofstra)

I'm having a hard time deciding between Jeff and Monte for my number 3 -> Monte seems to work their residents much harder and the location isnt exactly that great, however their fellowship match seems to be quite a bit better than Jeff at least on the surface. Jeff seems to have a much better QOL and center city > bronx, however their fellowship match just doesn't seem to be that great over the last few years.

BU was hard to put below the above two, but at the end of the day I really think I would be happier long term being closer to my SO/friends/family.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone, just finished up my interviews and need some help in making my rank list, as I am pretty torn about a few of my choices in the middle of my list!

My SO is also in medicine, but a year below me (also wants to do IM), so location is pretty important to me. Both her and I want to be in NYC or Philly (NYC > Philly) as they are both close to our family and friend, which we value a lot. That being said, I also value being able to match well in a competitive fellowship (likely Cards) and would like to be involved with healthcare technology in some form in the future as part of my career - so opportunities outside of true academic medicine are also of consideration for me personally!

My list as of now is as follows:
1) Cornell
2) Sinai
3/4) Jeff vs Monte
5) BU
6) Brown
7) Temple
8/9/10) UMD vs NJMS vs RWJ
11) Tufts
12) Northwell-LIJ (Hofstra)

I'm having a hard time deciding between Jeff and Monte for my number 3 -> Monte seems to work their residents much harder and the location isnt exactly that great, however their fellowship match seems to be quite a bit better than Jeff at least on the surface. Jeff seems to have a much better QOL and center city > bronx, however their fellowship match just doesn't seem to be that great over the last few years.

BU was hard to put below the above two, but at the end of the day I really think I would be happier long term being closer to my SO/friends/family.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
Yes, Monte will work you significantly harder, but it would be worth putting above Jeff for fellowship match imo. I think also with your preference for NY it makes sense.