This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wards&Mimosas

Reaction score
Hey all,

Haven't seen a thread created yet for this year's upcoming match and for some reason folks were commenting on the old one, so figured I'd make a new one here.

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Lenox hill>>>>>Sinai Beth Israel unless they magically fixed the problem of the hospital closing, which who knows anymore
They said it’s been put on hold due to covid. Otherwise you do cards and heme onc rotations at main Sinai hospital as of now. They reiterated that they will continue to support the residents throughout any future transition and make sure they get the training they need. No plans to not have an IM residency even post 2023 when the new hospital was supposed to be built. Seems like the rep of Sinai Beth Israel is better than Lenox Hill. And Sinai is on epic and Northwell is on sunrise allscripts EMR which is garbage compared to epic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. Crazy. Very bad location and though I never strongly considered the position I was interviewing for, it was a huge huge negative
Thanks didn’t realize how bad the location was. I own a car but still something to think about especially with how congested NYC roads are.

thanks @rokshana @gutonc re input

Reactions: 1 user
They said it’s been put on hold due to covid. Otherwise you do cards and heme onc rotations at main Sinai hospital as of now. They reiterated that they will continue to support the residents throughout any future transition and make sure they get the training they need. No plans to not have an IM residency even post 2023 when the new hospital was supposed to be built. Seems like the rep of Sinai Beth Israel is better than Lenox Hill. And Sinai is on epic and Northwell is on sunrise allscripts EMR which is garbage compared to epic.
If you feel comfortable with the promises being made (you should never feel TOO comfortable) AND you don’t feel the depth and breadth of your clinical training could be impacted, then based on your reasoning above, it would make sense to rank BI over Lenox hill. At the peak reputation of BI it was probably one of the best community programs in the country. It no longer has that distinction though...

Please feel free to comment or PM me. I have some of the programs I interviewed at grouped into "tiers" below. Hoping for an academic career, to keep IM fellowship doors open, and I do prefer either living in or being in close proximity to a major city.

UTSW
Rutgers New Brunswick
NYU Brooklyn

University at Buffalo
SUNY Upstate
Lehigh Valley
Hackensack
Charles Drew (LA)

Inspira Vineland
Legacy Emmanuel (Portland)

UTSW seems kinda random compared to those other programs but it really is head and shoulders above those other places if you want to keep the door open to all possible fellowships. Not that you won't get good training at places like Buffalo/SUNY Upstate. I can't really speak for some of those other programs like Charles Drew (didn't even know they had a residency program)

UTSW vs. University of Washington Seattle vs. Washington University St. Louis

Which of these locations would you rather live in? I've never been to any, also interested in cardiology. How would you rank these three programs?

UTSW seems kinda random compared to those other programs but it really is head and shoulders above those other places if you want to keep the door open to all possible fellowships. Not that you won't get good training at places like Buffalo/SUNY Upstate. I can't really speak for some of those other programs like Charles Drew (didn't even know they had a residency program)
Yeah agreed with this one. UTSW kinda sticks out because it's so much stronger than everything else. These other places are perfectly fine though (FWIW I also didn't realize that Drew had a residency! I remember talking with one of hospitalists at UCLA when I was interviewing for a job there and he might have mentioned something about acquiring a new hospital and potentially housing the Drew residency there but I honestly don't remember anymore).

thanks. Yes failed to mention I would be driving for both those programs. google maps says Williamsburg to Flushing is about 15 mins.

how about choosing between Lenox Hill and Mt Sinai Beth Israel ?
Agree with whoknows on this one. I'd also give the edge to Lennox Hill just based on future uncertainty alone. Location for MSBI might be a bit better though (Granted, I'm a lower Manhattan type of guy i.e. I don't wear a tie) and before all this hospital closing news hit the fan I would've probably told you that MSBI had the edge, so I agree that it's a tough decision. IMHO though, choosing between the two is like choosing a stock to invest in. Do you value stability or would you prefer a riskier, more volatile bet with a chance of higher gain? Choice is yours here bud.

Last edited:

Which of these locations would you rather live in? I've never been to any, also interested in cardiology. How would you rank these three programs?

These are all incredibly powerful programs and you shouldn't have a problem matching into cards from any of these (and if you do, it says more about you than the program). I really think you should rank based on where you want to live with these three.

I've spent time in each of these places and obviously St. Louis is.... the least nice of the bunch lol. There's a fun moon-bouncy place that people go to and a couple great bbq joints but otherwise, it pales in comparison to Seattle and Dallas. That said it's a great place for new families in that it's by FAR the most affordable of the three (I actually lived in St. Louis for a few years when I was younger and my family didn't have quite as much moolah), and there are certainly some very nice pockets of St. Louis esp. near the west end.

Dallas is actually really cool when you get to know it. Lots of great Korean food and stuff to do. It actually kinda reminded me of socal when I was there (maybe it was the In-n-outs? Dunno). Still a very affordable place with a super robust young-professionals vibe. Also tends to be safe and wonderfully diverse. Lots of stuff to do.

Seattle is super, super cool. Like travel destination cool. SO many great hikes and restaurants around (it's not just Pike's Place guys lol). Also a very walkable city. Just not super affordable. Great if you're young and single. UW is also super spread out between its many hospitals. Beware the Seattle Freeze though lol, not that you'd have to worry about this since you'd be spending so much of your time in the hospital anyway

In my mind, choosing between these three cities is kinda like choosing a girlfriend/partner/whatever. Seattle is like that gorgeous, interesting, but high maintenance person that gives you hell if you don't spring for the upgraded rose bouquet on valentine's day. Dallas is like that super cool person you met through a friend who's super chill and fun and comfortable to hang around, but sometimes you find yourself getting bored. St Louis is like that faithful person with the gritty edge who you know loves you for who you are and not for what you've got, and you love them too, just... not for their looks.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

1. Seattle (if you can stand at least a solid 6 months of gray drizzly weather with the highest cost of living)
2. Dallas (has all the amenities that you need in a big city is devoid of anything resembling nature and lacks charm, I live in Dallas FWIW)
3. St Louis (never been to STL so can't think of anything good to say about it)

Asking again if anyone has opinion on how to rank these programs, which are the middle of my rank list. My current rankings are:

1. U of Missouri in Columbia
2. Penn State
3. West Virginia
4. U of Connecticut
5. U of Buffalo

Asking again if anyone has opinion on how to rank these programs, which are the middle of my rank list. My current rankings are:

1. U of Missouri in Columbia
2. Penn State
3. West Virginia
4. U of Connecticut
5. U of Buffalo
That seems like a pretty good order.

Not a whole ton of space between those places so "fit" and location are as good as any way to rank them.

Lenox hill>>>>>Sinai Beth Israel unless they magically fixed the problem of the hospital closing, which who knows anymore

With exp. from a recent cycle, I thought this was the deal too but apparently they have had some good matches recently so people are willing to look past the whole site closure issue if that's still in play. Not sure if people knew but this place basically invited the entire country for an interview a few years ago. Maybe they've turned things around.

Last edited:
From recent cycles, I thought this too but apparently they have had some good matches so people don't care anymore.
Back in the day MSBI used to be mostly AMG some Caribbean some DO’s. Not sure what it is now but while that’s far from the end all be all (no judgement here whatsoever) that can sometimes tell you which way things are headed. I have no idea what the make up is today or how their fellowship match compares to years past

@gutonc What's your opinion on the order of these programs? Interested in cards if that helps

1. WashU
2. Emory
3. UPMC
4. Baylor
It's fine. You can't really rank those 4 "wrong".

It's not how I would rank them, but I'm not you, so you should do what you thing is right.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep exactly. For me still can't decide where to rank this with community IM programs such as Inspira Vineland and Legacy (Portland).
Depends on where you'd want to live/work. Each of these places would likely create disproportionately more opportunities in the region they're located. Lots of folks in Cali know what Charles Drew is and even if they weren't aware the residency was booting back up, they'd at least kinda have an idea of what Drew entails and know what to expect to some extent. Not so true with the other programs you mentioned (i.e. folks in Cali are less likely to have heard of Legacy or Inspira Vineland) and vice versa for each of the aforementioned programs. So pick based on where you see yourself living in the long term (and I mean like... settle down long term). (I personally would MUCH rather live in SoCal than Portland or Jersey, but that's just me).

They are 5 schools spaced over most of the country
Geography is irrelevant.

I was simply pointing out that the Charting Outcomes graphs are univariate analyses, not multivariate analyses. So the (at least) 5 contiguous ranks includes people from Top 10 schools with 260 Steps and 30+places on their ROL, and students from bottom tier schools with 210 steps and only 5 places on their list.

Did anyone applying in IM this year get any post-interview correspondence and hear they were "ranked to match"? I have friends who heard stuff in other specialties, but I didn't hear anything from IM programs. Is this specialty specific?

Did anyone applying in IM this year get any post-interview correspondence and hear they were "ranked to match"? I have friends who heard stuff in other specialties, but I didn't hear anything from IM programs. Is this specialty specific?
I had some generic post-interview communication from programs but nothing that said/implied ranked to match.

More program specific than anything

From anonymous posts I have read, it's supposedly a thing. I did not hear anything and no one I know did either if it makes you feel better. From what I have heard from these reports, it seems like it's usually said to applicants who're probably not aiming to go to those places anyways.

Last edited:
New poster here, hope it lets me post. I have a tentative ROL of the following programs that I haven’t been able to find much info on - 1. St Elizabeth Boston 2. Montefiore new Rochelle 3. Hackensack Palisades 4 ISOM- queens campus 5. Ascension St. John’s MI and 6 st Vincent/quinnioac. I’m hoping to go into a competitive fellowship after (GI) and wondering if this ROL sets me up for that? Thanks in advance for some insight
Montefiore New Rochelle PD super malignant. ( I know it may be late now, Ive been out of the loop for a while)

can you help me rank these 4 programs
1. Memorial Healthcare, Florida
2. UB-CHS, Buffalo NY
3. St Peters University Hospital, New Jersey
4. UCF-North Florida, Gainesville
I'm looking for a non malignant program which can help me in cardiology fellowship later.
Thank you

can you help me rank these 4 programs
1. Memorial Healthcare, Florida
2. UB-CHS, Buffalo NY
3. St Peters University Hospital, New Jersey
4. UCF-North Florida, Gainesville
I'm looking for a non malignant program which can help me in cardiology fellowship later.
Thank you
This is last year’s thread…