This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoodGoinGriswold

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've been reading the forums here for almost two years now, but this is my first official post. I need some advice/help creating a school list. I'm looking to add about 6 more schools to my list, and hoping to apply to about 15. If you have any insight on what programs I should or should not apply to please comment. I am a Missouri resident, with strong ties to Arizona (went to school there). Thanks!

Degree:
  • Biochemistry BS
  • Biochemistry (med-chem) MS
UG GPA: 3.61 (strong upward trend 4.0 last 4 semesters. Had a 2.9 first year, but excelled in upper division science classes)
Grad GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 509
Direct Family Members in Medicine: Y (Mom is RN, Uncles: Pediatrician MD, Primary Care DO, Dentist, Oral Surgeon, Grandfather: Primary Care MD)
Work History:
  • Personal Trainer (4 years)
  • Instructional Aid for Gen Chem I (6 semesters, same function as a TA just a different name for undergraduate students)
Volunteering: 300 hrs Pediatric Hospice and Respite Unit (direct patient contact)
Shadowing: 300 hrs
  • 270 hrs w/Primary Care
  • 10 hrs w/Pediatrics
  • 5 hrs w/ Urgent Care
  • 10 hrs w/ Oral Surgery
  • 5 hrs w/Hospice
Research: 1000+ hours (mostly organic synthesis). Finishing my thesis right now.
EC:
  • Studied Abroad in Belize
  • Vice President and Co-founder of a club that supports the pediatric hospice unit I volunteer at. We train new volunteers and support the organization at fundraising events.(2 years)
LOR:
  • 2 MDs (shadowed a DO, but had a bad experience..so no LOR currently)
  • Multiple from science faculty I've worked with.
Current DO List:
  • AT Stills KCOM
  • KCUCOM
  • AZCOM
  • LMUCOM
  • DMUCOM
  • RVUCOM
  • WVSOM
  • PCOM
  • VCOM

Members don't see this ad.

I want to drop by and say great job on making up for that first year! I think you have a fantastic shot! Good luck.

What is your UG sGPA?

Before the snarky posters come by, he has a post in WAMC asking for MD schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Before the snarky posters come by, he has a post in WAMC asking for MD schools.
Was going to say that I just had the MSAR up and that OP is in the range of some of the MD schools in MO. The lower range but in the range nonetheless. I would apply to some of them.

You can apply to any DO school you like. Choose the better, more established ones and then the ones you like best. Apply MD the rest of the way.

Reactions: 1 user
Throw an app at OSU even though you are OOS. One of our OOS cohort is from MO.

Also consider CCOM, TCOM (good enough stats to get an OOS look), and maybe LECOM-PA if you want to have a nice round number.

Honestly you’re a pretty solid applicant and would be surprised if you didn’t get multiple interviews from the schools you have listed. A few OOS apps to the state schools could pay off for you.

Maybe consider taking off LMU, one of the residents I know here went there and he definitely did not have good things to say about their clinical rotations.

Based upon personal experience, you should have no problem getting an interview at KCOM and KCUCOM if you're wanting to stay in Missouri. You can always add schools later after you start getting feedback from your initial list. If I were you, I would throw in an app at Mizzou. You're in the ballpark of their averages, so you never know. Especially with a graduate degree...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user