Help with what to do after undergrad to enhance grades/med school application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackwolf04

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to take additional undergraduate level science courses to raise your sGPA to 3.0. Otherwise you will be screened out at most schools. A DIY at a local college (it can be a community college ) is fine. You need to do well on the MCAT with a 508 or higher to have a chance for MD school interviews and over 500 for some DO schools. More shadowing and clinical volunteering hours will also help. Where is your state of residence?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! Looking for some guidance/advice

cGPA: 3.12 (Freshmen: 1.94; Sophomore: 2.86; Junior: 3.14; Projected/On-track Senior: 3.84)
sGPA: 2.85 (Freshmen: 1.85; Sophomore: 2.60; Junior: 2.89; Projected/On-track Senior: 3.72)
State of Residency: California
Ethnicity: URM (Mexican) and Central American
Undergrad: Senior at a Top 10 University
Clinical Experience: 300hrs (Clinical research interacting directly with Latina patients in a longitudinal study)
Research experience: 150hrs (no papers, abstract, or presentations)
Shadowing: 15hrs shadowing cardiologist (planning on doing more.. I haven’t been premed long)
Nonclinical: 70hrs Sorority (Raising money for children with cancer, Relay for Life, Clean up of city)
Extracurricular: Cultural Dance Group (Choreography Committee), Sorority (Part of Various Committees)
Work: Housing Monitor: 300hrs
Other: First Generation College Student – family from a third world country who did not attend school past grade school, Switched to Pre-med late Junior year from Chem/Bio Engineering Major, Fluent in Spanish

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some advice on the path I should take to get into medical school/becoming a doctor given my rocky record, particularly at the onset of undergrad. Now that I know that this is what I really want, I’m willing to take the time to do what I need to do to get there. Things seem pretty dismal right now, I know but I'm ready to work for it.

I’m currently considering a Post Bacc to raise my uGPA a little more (either a program or a DIY), a Masters, or an SMP (later on though, probably after a Post Bacc). And of those options, I’m not sure which programs are best for me given the above. I’ve done some research on my own, but I haven’t come up with any conclusive ideas on the best pathway. I would reaalllyy appreciate some guidance.

Thanks!

I was in a semi similar situation and did a DIY post back to finish my pre reqs and raise my gpa before taking the MCAT. I took courses wherever I could find them including CCs and that hasn't been an issue for me with interviews this cycle at all. I would also highly recommend you look for part time work as a patient care tech or medical scribe during this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Looking for some guidance/advice

cGPA: 3.12 (Freshmen: 1.94; Sophomore: 2.86; Junior: 3.14; Projected/On-track Senior: 3.84)
sGPA: 2.85 (Freshmen: 1.85; Sophomore: 2.60; Junior: 2.89; Projected/On-track Senior: 3.72)
State of Residency: California
Ethnicity: URM (Mexican) and Central American
Undergrad: Senior at a Top 10 University
Clinical Experience: 300hrs (Clinical research interacting directly with Latina patients in a longitudinal study)
Research experience: 150hrs (no papers, abstract, or presentations)
Shadowing: 15hrs shadowing cardiologist (planning on doing more.. I haven’t been premed long)
Nonclinical: 70hrs Sorority (Raising money for children with cancer, Relay for Life, Clean up of city)
Extracurricular: Cultural Dance Group (Choreography Committee), Sorority (Part of Various Committees)
Work: Housing Monitor: 300hrs
Other: First Generation College Student – family from a third world country who did not attend school past grade school, Switched to Pre-med late Junior year from Chem/Bio Engineering Major, Fluent in Spanish

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some advice on the path I should take to get into medical school/becoming a doctor given my rocky record, particularly at the onset of undergrad. Now that I know that this is what I really want, I’m willing to take the time to do what I need to do to get there. Things seem pretty dismal right now, I know but I'm ready to work for it.

I’m currently considering a Post Bacc to raise my uGPA a little more (either a program or a DIY), a Masters, or an SMP (later on though, probably after a Post Bacc). And of those options, I’m not sure which programs are best for me given the above. I’ve done some research on my own, but I haven’t come up with any conclusive ideas on the best pathway. I would reaalllyy appreciate some guidance.

Thanks!
Do well on MCAT
Get in more non-clinical service, particularly to Hispanic communities in need
Ace everything from now on.

Do well on MCAT

I'll make sure to do all of those. I appreciate the reply.

Do well on MCAT
A DIY postbacc might help her a good deal, with that sGPA below 3.0. Many schools autoscreen at that level, and while URMs often escape that autoscreen, it doesn't always happen. I'd say he should be shooting for a 510+ MCAT as well.

Last edited:
A DIY postbacc might help him a good deal, with that sGPA below 3.0. Many schools autoscreen at that level, and while URMs often escape that autoscreen, it doesn't always happen. I'd say he should be shooting for a 510+ MCAT as well.

Why are you assuming it is a "he" and not a "her".

Maybe because OP mentioned :
-Volunteering with Latinas in a clinical
setting
-lots of activities with a sorority

He edited his post after my post. Originally Walter Raleigh said "he" instead of "she/her"