Hey Caver! (the equipment comparing thread, with pics)

Started by Epic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nah dood. I have no intention of trying to convince you into photography. Look at it this way... Cyclo thread lives on and it's a good thread.. for some of us. Most couldn't careless.

Caver thread lives on and it's a good thread.. for some of us. Most couldn't careless. We've never asked you to participate.

And yet I find myself compelled to tell you how lame the stuff you take pictures of is....
 
i know its in a box in my house...i got boxes everywhere! i got my casio but I have no idea how or even if it can do long exposure shots

It was too windy to do long exposure. Ended up taking it at ISO 400 hand held. There is no way you can get a clear shot with a P&S.

I used my 20D so it was zoomed to 640mm.... yet I could've used another 300mm.
 
And yet I find myself compelled to tell you how lame the stuff you take pictures of is....


That's ok. I'm compelled to tell you how bad WVU suck in football ..just to remind you how pathetic it is to root for mediocrity.. for the rest of your life.. so Pitt took you guys down again eh? :meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's ok. I'm compelled to tell you how bad WVU suck in football ..just to remind you how pathetic it is to root for mediocrity.. for the rest of your life.. so Pitt took you guys down again eh? :meanie:
don't hijack this thread...

speaking of mediocrity...how about Parkersburg High School this year? so called title town finished 4-7. wow....
 
don't hijack this thread...

speaking of mediocrity...how about Parkersburg High School this year? so called title town finished 4-7. wow....

I know....seriously, you have no idea. There are people threatening to burn the coach's house down and ****. It's hilarious. The people in Parkersburg make Raiders fans look like Mother Teresa. If he doesn't at least get to the championship game next year, they may very well kill the man. i'm not joking.
 
I need a monopod. And could use a 1.4X TE. Need little more reach for the Moon shot.

moon2ak2.jpg

Wow! Can't believe that was hand-held. And at ISO 800...not even grainy (even enlarged?). Beautiful shot!
 
Wow! Can't believe that was hand-held. And at ISO 800...not even grainy (even enlarged?). Beautiful shot!

did you look at the EXIF? I thought I was in ISO 400.... :meanie:
It's grainy when enlarged. I would think the full moon with more light would allow me to shoot at ISO 100 with a higher f stop and faster shutter speed for a sharper image.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did you look at the EXIF? I thought I was in ISO 400.... :meanie:
It's grainy when enlarged. I would think the full moon with more light would allow me to shoot at ISO 100 with a higher f stop and faster shutter speed for a sharper image.


Hah, I did check the exif. Actually, I was just impressed it was hand-held, and curious what shutter speed you used.

How much sky did you crop out?
 
Hah, I did check the exif. Actually, I was just impressed it was hand-held, and curious what shutter speed you used.

How much sky did you crop out?

Wow..I thought I was at 1/200 sec and ISO 400 f5.6.. see, you can't see nothing in the dark!
 
So after playing with the 24-70mm f/2.8L last week I've decided to trade my 100mm prime. Anyone want to buy it? I've used it once to take pictures of a watch, had a filter on since we got home from B&H, and it's been in a camera bag in my closet the whole time.

Yeah, make me an offer. 👍

Anyway...24-70, I think I found a new favorite lens. 😍 Perfect "around the house family get together" lens.
 
So after playing with the 24-70mm f/2.8L last week I've decided to trade my 100mm prime. Anyone want to buy it? I've used it once to take pictures of a watch, had a filter on since we got home from B&H, and it's been in a camera bag in my closet the whole time.

Yeah, make me an offer. 👍

Anyway...24-70, I think I found a new favorite lens. 😍 Perfect "around the house family get together" lens.

Dude,

Keep your Macro!
 
Well no one is offering what I want (B&H offered $200...shouldn't have even bothered emailing them, haha), so looks like I'll keep it for now. I'd just use the 24-105 more than this one for family functions.


You should be able to get around $400 for it.. Remember, 24-105 with f4 will struggle to focus in the dark unlike f2.8
 
You should be able to get around $400 for it.. Remember, 24-105 with f4 will struggle to focus in the dark unlike f2.8

CRAP I meant the 28-70 f/2.8L, i'm getting my mid-range lenses all mixed up. That was the one I got to play with.

But yeah I had a feeling B&H would lowball me but not by that much!
 
Gorgeous shot Z!

I froze my butt of tonight for this one...here's what I got. 200 mm with the 1.4 extender, on the tripod (I was shaking it was so cold, so no way I could hand hold), mirror flipped up, manual focus. ISO 125 f/10 1/200".
[/IMG]

There's something mildly sensuous about a woman out in the cold of night who knows her equipment, focal length, ISO, mirror lock, and shutter speed settings... 😍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I tried last night but all I had was my 50. Can't play with the 70-300 til the 25th and then I'll try and get some real pics from the southern hemisphere
 
Great shot!



Gorgeous shot Z!

I froze my butt of tonight for this one...here's what I got. 200 mm with the 1.4 extender, on the tripod (I was shaking it was so cold, so no way I could hand hold), mirror flipped up, manual focus. ISO 125 f/10 1/200".

img4277bzr0.jpg
 
Wow. I'm speechless.

How moving...


ehh...I aint talking about the content. That's just a commerical like production with fake people and fake scenes. I'm talking about the high definition video capabilities of 5D MKII.. which is truly moving! :meanie:
 
ehh...I aint talking about the content. That's just a commerical like production with fake people and fake scenes. I'm talking about the high definition video capabilities of 5D MKII.. which is truly moving! :meanie:

That's what I'm talking about too goof!

Although I should've known you were a sap for cheesy telenovela lovestories....like Saturday night Skinemax.
 
ehh...I aint talking about the content. That's just a commerical like production with fake people and fake scenes. I'm talking about the high definition video capabilities of 5D MKII.. which is truly moving! :meanie:

Seriously though...the video quality is far superior than I imagined. When I heard about the feature, I figured it would be some tacky add-on like most digital cameras have...and the clips you get are mostly just a waste of memory space that you never watch more than once.

That was pretty nice though! Actually, I liked some of the still shots more than anything...the bath shots are great.
 
Seriously though...the video quality is far superior than I imagined. When I heard about the feature, I figured it would be some tacky add-on like most digital cameras have...and the clips you get are mostly just a waste of memory space that you never watch more than once.

That was pretty nice though! Actually, I liked some of the still shots more than anything...the bath shots are great.
impressive for a canon but nikons are far superior tools of photography
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nice shot...did you get it in RAW?



Vacation's almost over...time to go back to reality soon. 🙁

Here's a shot from tonight of one of my favorite places on Earth...

(oh, and it was nice and warm...so didn't have to freeze my butt of to get this shot 😉)

img4595fv4.jpg
 
Yes! I shot all in RAW + JPEG this week. But it's weird. I tried opening the files on my brother's computer (he has CS3 installed), and most of them opened fine, but some didn't. And the ones with issues from the week prior, didn't open on his either.

I can't figure it out. 😡
RAW is overrated...like the cowboys 😀