High School ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student1222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick questions.

Does the ECs done in high school go into the application?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Only include activities you've done in college. If you continue into college work you started in high school, you can talk about that in the description of the activity on your app.

Typically no, unless it is continued through college. For example, I coached kids basketball in high school and I still do in college. I'll put it on my application as such.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is really a case by case basis. In general, the answer is no. However there are a number of things where it's fine to talk about high school, though college activities are more important. I think it's neat to see someone who, say, participated in the ISEF and then in college also did substantial research. Or if you were an award-winning violinist or tennis player or something. Obviously won't be the highlight of your app and doesn't take the place of college activities, but it's excellent fodder for interviews and to show off a passion.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't put high school activities. I review a lot of applications for a research program, and writing about high school-only activities is a big red flag.

Don't put high school activities. I review a lot of applications for a research program, and writing about high school-only activities is a big red flag.

Uh, this really isn't true for med school admissions.

Writing a lot about what you did in high school while not doing much in college is a red flag. Bringing up something you did in high school that adds to your application or to who you are as a person is not a red flag, and I've never heard a committee member say "omg how dare he post that he did this one thing in high school as one of his 15 activities." You don't need to pad your application, but I've seen many successful applicants who had a significant activity from HS.

Reactions: 1 user
Uh, this really isn't true for med school admissions.

Writing a lot about what you did in high school while not doing much in college is a red flag. Bringing up something you did in high school that adds to your application or to who you are as a person is not a red flag, and I've never heard a committee member say "omg how dare he post that he did this one thing in high school as one of his 15 activities." You don't need to pad your application, but I've seen many successful applicants who had a significant activity from HS.
Thank you for your input.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think if something you did in high school is really relevant to medicine, or is something you started in high school and continued into college, go ahead and put it. But for your 15 activities, make sure the college ones are there first. Those are more important. I wouldn't bother with any high school activity that is irrelevant though.

Clinical volunteering completed in high school is good as well, correct?

Clinical volunteering completed in high school is good as well, correct?

Personally I wouldn't count it against you for listing it if you had substantial (several hundred) hours but you better have substantial clinical exposure in college too. I've seen several people do this and it's fine, but perhaps others may view it differently.

I did a lot of clinical volunteering in high school and I didn't make it its own entry, but in my Honors/Awards entry I listed getting an award for 500 hours, and I briefly touched on an experience I had in my personal statement.