High school GPA factored into AMCAS GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lily101

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I know something like this has been brought up, but most of it has been about dual credit for a few classes, and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for a somewhat different situation?

I was enrolled in a 2-year early college entrance program for my last two years of high school, so I took a lottt of classes (approximately 30ish classes) during that time and ended up with some pretty bad grades. I went to a state uni and have since gotten a 4.0, but I found out that hs grades weigh into my AMCAS gpa (ugh), and recalculated my GPA, which dropped by 0.15. Does anyone know how medical schools who look at hs + undergrad GPA (the cGPA) vs just undergraduate GPA? Or will they not separate it into hs vs undergraduate GPA? It seems kind of awful that my hs grades are being included since they really don't reflect how I'm doing now..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey! I know something like this has been brought up, but most of it has been about dual credit for a few classes, and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for a somewhat different situation?

I was enrolled in a 2-year early college entrance program for my last two years of high school, so I took a lottt of classes (approximately 30ish classes) during that time and ended up with some pretty bad grades. I went to a state uni and have since gotten a 4.0, but I found out that hs grades weigh into my AMCAS gpa (ugh), and recalculated my GPA, which dropped by 0.15. Does anyone know how medical schools who look at hs + undergrad GPA (the cGPA) vs just undergraduate GPA? Or will they not separate it into hs vs undergraduate GPA? It seems kind of awful that my hs grades are being included since they really don't reflect how I'm doing now..
If you obtained credits from a college while in high school, the grades will be included in the AMCAS gpa.
If they are not from a college, they are not included.

If you obtained credits from a college while in high school, the grades will be included in the AMCAS gpa.
Yeah i know! I was just wondering how heavily they will look at HS GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a ton! So I guess they will see the cGPA (which has HS) and then break it down to see my uGPA and hsGPA, and then more or less disregard HS?

Yeah i know! I was just wondering how heavily they will look at HS GPA?

Not at all.

Thanks a ton! So I guess they will see the cGPA (which has HS) and then break it down to see my uGPA and hsGPA, and then more or less disregard HS?

I think gyngyn's original post answers your question - college course credit, even if taken during high school, will be included in AMCAS.
Your high school GPA is high school courses. I believe that all college courses, regardless of when they were taken, count as "college credit," not as "high school GPA."
There may be less weight given to the earlier college courses (because they were lower level/earlier), and heavier weight to the later courses (more upper level classes).

Reactions: 1 user
Any course that gives college credit (regardless of taken in high school or not) counts towards a cumulative undergraduate GPA. There is no distinction between college classes taken in high school and college classes taken in college.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no hsGPA in AMCAS. If you took the course for college credit it will be added into your cGPA and if it was a BCPM course it will also average into your sGPA. Good luck!

AMCAS has a section where it breaks GPA down into HS, freshman, sophomore, junior, etc. year though? So it would show up separately?

AMCAS does break up your GPA by year so you are correct. Although, your cumulative GPA will average in those hs college courses as well. Regardless, sounds like you will still have a 3.8+ with an obvious upward trend so you are in a great position as long as the rest of your app is on point.

AMCAS has a section where it breaks GPA down into HS, freshman, sophomore, junior, etc. year though? So it would show up separately?
By HS they mean college credit received during high school, not your high school GPA itself.

I did dual credit in HS for 2 years as well. Look up the AMCAS instruction manual; I remember it providing helpful, detailed information on how to deal with our exact situation. College courses you took during high school will ultimately be included in your AMCAS GPA, as stated above

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile