Hopkins MSPH 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megarita

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I've seen threads made like this before and brought up the idea in the Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected 2018 thread, so here's a place to talk about Hopkin's MSPH!

I've posted these concerns here if this is sounding a little familiar, but here's where I'm at:

I was accepted to the MSPH in GDEC and am leaning towards attending! My only reservation is that it's less hard skillsy than MSs in Epi (but probably more hard skillsy than MPHs in Epi). I'm also positive I want to work in Global Epi, but am a little worried about the perception of the degree vs a MS in straight Epi. Everyone says I should prioritize gaining hard skills, but I don't want to limit myself to research positions and don't want to miss out on the connections/quality of education at Hopkins. I made a spreadsheet of people with my dream jobs because I'm ~extra~ and their degrees were 82%/18% MPH/MS, so I'm trying not to fetishize the MS too much hah. The MSPH is a newer degree, so I'm assuming that's why I'm not finding too many people with them, but I really like that it's kind of a happy medium as I've heard MPH-ers frustrated with their lack of hard skills and MS-ers say it doesn't even feel like a PH degree and they never talk about PH in their classes. I'm not set on doing a PhD, but want to keep that door open, and it seems like either a MSPH or MS can transition to one.

I've been in contact with two current GDEC students and here's basically what they've said:

- GDEC is less hard skillsy than they'd like, but because ~Hopkins~ you have lots of chances to supplement that with research/certificates/your practicum/electives.
- There's also lots of room for customization within electives. Most students aren't super focused on Epi, but if that's your jam you can make it work.
- The quality of the education and connections justified an extra $20k in debt (in their opinion), and it seems like career services is very helpful
- Some of the core-type classes felt redundant as someone with a PH Bachelors

I'd love to hear any and all thoughts you guys are having cause I'm losing my mind trying to decide!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hi all - one of my friends who just graduated from JHU with an MSPH in epidemiology with a concentration in clinical trials just messaged me some advice and thought I would share with you all.

Hopkins is excellent for global health, we have a lot of research going on at the international level and partnerships with organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation supporting that work. There are plenty of opportunities to be a RA so I wouldn't worry about that, if you reach out to a professor whose course you've taken and express interest you can find something. It's really just a matter of asking and seeking out positions. You'll also be paired with an academic advisor in your department/concentration area so that is already an opportunity to work with faculty in your area of interest. For the msph you'll be required to write a thesis in your 2nd year and you can work with your academic advisor and have them be your thesis advisor as well or seek out a different professor if their interests align more closely with yours. Hopkins is definitely where you want to be if you want to be immersed in research. I have to say that they aren't #1 for nothing, the rigor if the coursework and methods are top notch and you're in an environment where you're surrounded by people who are all really intelligent and passionate about public health and research. The faculty are also really excellent and at the top of their respective fields. I want to point out if you're used to going by semesters, you could feel overwhelmed T first because Bloomberg goes by quarters so things are very fast paced and you have midterms every 4 weeks and then finals 4 weeks after that and then a whole new set of courses.

The MSPH is more of a traditional masters and in my opinion more rigorous and research oriented (gives you the time and opportunity to get involved in research and take methods courses). For Hopkins it is extremely difficult to get into the PhD program at all (Idk if this is your goal to get your degree here after your master's) and generally you only have a handful of less people who get admitted from the master's into the PhD which is great because it knocks off a year. If you don't get in right away you have up to 3 years I think to get in so your credits from your master's will count towards your PhD and knock off that year.

Another thing to consider is statistical software. At Hopkins they teach you stata (an intro level sas course is offered but you won't really be proficient after) which isn't as widely used as sas. A majority of the federal government and their contractors primarily use sas. It is pretty rare for places to use stata so that would be my one big con to Hopkins, almost all if not all other SPHs teach sas. This is something to consider depending on what industry you want to work in after getting your degree but I don't think it should be a determining factor because you can also learn was on your own and get certified and that is fine as well.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
OMG this thread is so helpful!!! attentively waiting for new comments LOL!
Honestly terrified by the quarter system though.... Any suggestions.... ?

As I wasn't able to attend any of the actual admitted student days, I did watch the virtual session on Friday.
One thing that I thought was quite important to point out: Most people apply for RA/TA positions in their second year after completing the quantitative classes. Unless you are already well trained in that area prior to starting school...

Also based on my calculation for tuition, it's 65K if I'm correct. This is for the MSPH program with the second year 75% scholarship. Can someone confirm... I'm still struggling with that amount though. But I believe in the long-run, it is worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As I wasn't able to attend any of the actual admitted student days, I did watch the virtual session on Friday.
One thing that I thought was quite important to point out: Most people apply for RA/TA positions in their second year after completing the quantitative classes. Unless you are already well trained in that area prior to starting school...

Also based on my calculation for tuition, it's 65K if I'm correct. This is for the MSPH program with the second year 75% scholarship. Can someone confirm... I'm still struggling with that amount though. But I believe in the long-run, it is worth it.
I got 65k when I calculated too - it'll likely be a little higher since they mentioned tuition increases slightly each year in the virtual session. I'm going back and forth on whether or not it's worth it moneywise. It is relatively affordable compared to some other $80k+ programs who don't offer much scholarships, which is nice, but it's still not my cheapest option.

I definitely want to get a RA position, so I was also a little frustrated by having to wait (especially since it seems like as soon as you're ready to RA it's time for the practicum.) I'm also a little worried about competing with basically everybody for RA positions, but a current student told me it should be pretty easy to get a position, what's harder is finding a paid one.

OMG this thread is so helpful!!! attentively waiting for new comments LOL!
Honestly terrified by the quarter system though.... Any suggestions.... ?

I got 65k when I calculated too - it'll likely be a little higher since they mentioned tuition increases slightly each year in the virtual session. I'm going back and forth on whether or not it's worth it moneywise. It is relatively affordable compared to some other $80k+ programs who don't offer much scholarships, which is nice, but it's still not my cheapest option.

I definitely want to get a RA position, so I was also a little frustrated by having to wait (especially since it seems like as soon as you're ready to RA it's time for the practicum.) I'm also a little worried about competing with basically everybody for RA positions, but a current student told me it should be pretty easy to get a position, what's harder is finding a paid one.

With fees and health insurance for 2 years it ends up being closer to 75k.

I'm having a hard time justifying choosing Hopkins (at 75k) over Emory which would be less than 30k (that's including fees, insurance, and my scholarship/REAL) and be covered with my savings vs taking out loans. I'll be visiting both this month (Hopkins on Friday!) but I'd have to come out VERY sold to justify paying that much more!

With fees and health insurance for 2 years it ends up being closer to 75k.

I'm having a hard time justifying choosing Hopkins (at 75k) over Emory which would be less than 30k (that's including fees, insurance, and my scholarship/REAL) and be covered with my savings vs taking out loans. I'll be visiting both this month (Hopkins on Friday!) but I'd have to come out VERY sold to justify paying that much more!
I'll be at Hopkins Friday too!

The health fee is mandatory, but you can waive out of the insurance right? Also, one of the students I spoke with said that if you go in knowing what you want electives-wise and do a shorter practicum you can save money and finish early, but since that's the discounted year I feel like it's worth it to bulk up on classes / extend the practicum. But she said some students do that.

I'm still waiting on aid from BU - part of me is hoping they don't offer me anything so I can go to Hopkins without being mad at myself for taking on extra debt hah.

Man.. I'm from Canada where all universities are relatively affordable regardless of prestige (in comparison to the states). But I can't find another school in north America that can beat the vast global network JHU has to offer though. So yes. Taking on that debt.

But if your goals are to work within the states, then I can see how other schools might seem a lot more appealing after taking tuition into account. If I wanted to work in public health in Canada, I wouldn't have even applied to any schools in the states, it wouldn't make sense based on the network you want to build.

Hi all! Wondering if anyone who attended the Admitted Students Day has any thoughts/impressions they can share. Thanks so much!

Hi all! Wondering if anyone who attended the Admitted Students Day has any thoughts/impressions they can share. Thanks so much!
I was there and was super impressed and am now almost sure I'll be committing. The environment seemed very stimulating but not competitive, and the faculty were amazing! They seemed really open to mentorship and using their connections to help you get where you want to go. Also there are just so many amazing projects and research to get involved with. Meeting with the IH and GDEC faculty totally sold me on it - I really do think that Hopkins' network will give me things other schools can't (research opportunities, connections for the practicum, mentorship with world-class faculty, etc.)

I was surprised by how young the current students were - that was the only downside for me (aside from cost, obviously). I know it's a younger program since it doesn't have the work requirements, but some of the faculty were surprised I'd applied to the MSPH since I had a few years work experience, so I think that's out of the norm?

Also I think the non-program specific presentations are going to be posted online later this week!

Last edited:
I was there and was super impressed and am now almost sure I'll be committing. The environment seemed very stimulating but not competitive, and the faculty were amazing! They seemed really open to mentorship and using their connections to help you get where you want to go. Also there are just so many amazing projects and research to get involved with. Meeting with the IH and GDEC faculty totally sold me on it - I really do think that Hopkins' network will give me things other schools can't (research opportunities, connections for the practicum, mentorship with world-class faculty, etc.)

I was surprised by how young the current students were - that was the only downside for me (aside from cost, obviously). I know it's a younger program since it doesn't have the work requirements, but some of the faculty were surprised I'd applied to the MSPH since I had a few years work experience, so I think that's out of the norm?

Also I think the non-program specific presentations are going to be posted online later this week!
I had very similar feelings to megarita! I wasn't sold on it in the morning general session, but the afternoon program-specific session emphasized that this program is very strong and provides a strong theoretical basis, but also encourages application of your knowledge outside the classroom. The large network of Hopkins definitely seems put to good use, and students don't seem to get lost in the shuffle (which was something I was worried about). Many people did emphasize the importance of networking and chasing down opportunities, so don't go in expecting that practicums/research/etc will be handed to you just because you're at Hopkins. However, if you're a go-getter, it sounds like you'll end up having your pick of amazing opportunities. Also, despite the rigorous nature of the program, students seemed to love it and the versatility that the quarter system brings to their degree (since there are so many class options and space for electives)!

I did also think it was strange how young the current students were-- I didn't think people got in right out of college, but a lot of the people I met/heard from were. One girl I talked to said that about half were right out of college, but the other half had taken some time off-- although it sounded like time off for most of them just meant a gap year (whereas I've taken two).

Megarita, if we both end up choosing GDEC, at least we won't be alone with not being right out of undergrad!

Reactions: 2 users

I had very similar feelings to megarita! I wasn't sold on it in the morning general session, but the afternoon program-specific session emphasized that this program is very strong and provides a strong theoretical basis, but also encourages application of your knowledge outside the classroom. The large network of Hopkins definitely seems put to good use, and students don't seem to get lost in the shuffle (which was something I was worried about). Many people did emphasize the importance of networking and chasing down opportunities, so don't go in expecting that practicums/research/etc will be handed to you just because you're at Hopkins. However, if you're a go-getter, it sounds like you'll end up having your pick of amazing opportunities. Also, despite the rigorous nature of the program, students seemed to love it and the versatility that the quarter system brings to their degree (since there are so many class options and space for electives)!

I did also think it was strange how young the current students were-- I didn't think people got in right out of college, but a lot of the people I met/heard from were. One girl I talked to said that about half were right out of college, but the other half had taken some time off-- although it sounded like time off for most of them just meant a gap year (whereas I've taken two).

Megarita, if we both end up choosing GDEC, at least we won't be alone with not being right out of undergrad!

Thanks for the recaps! I couldn’t make it to the March admitted students day but hope to go to the April one. I didn’t even think about the age of the students and assumed many would have some experience - I’ll be 25 when I start the program so a bit worried about that since I know I was a completely different person from when I finished undergrad vs where I am now with a bit more experience. Would love to gather thoughts about what you thought about the students that you did meet? What were your first impressions?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the recaps! I couldn’t make it to the March admitted students day but hope to go to the April one. I didn’t even think about the age of the students and assumed many would have some experience - I’ll be 25 when I start the program so a bit worried about that since I know I was a completely different person from when I finished undergrad vs where I am now with a bit more experience. Would love to gather thoughts about what you thought about the students that you did meet? What were your first impressions?

Thanks again!
The students were incredibly friendly, energetic, and seemed very interesting! They seemed to have a variety of backgrounds, but all LOVED the program. From them, it seems tough but rewarding. They all seem very optimistic about their job and internship prospects with this degree. :)

Also, I'm only 23 (I graduated college a year early) but I'm married and nearly every one of my friends is 24-26 right now. I have definitely grown since undergrad. I'm wondering if they admitted more students with experience this year since they had far more GDEC applicants than usual, and thus were more selective (I heard this part from one of the program directors at the social hour).

Thanks again!
The students were definitely enthusiastic and smart. Since they are so young they didn't seem to have much experience with public health, which was a little worrying to me in terms of the kind of environment the program will have, but the faculty is so experienced and open and there are so many opportunities, I don't think it will be a big deal. Also, the current students I met from other programs have such interesting backgrounds, and it's not like I'll only be able to talk to GDEC people. But I'll be 24 when I start after two years in the PH workforce, and I definitely did feel a little out of place talking to the current students.

Also, even though the current students didn't totally blow me away, I thought it was great to see that lots of the faculty members (whom I loved) are alumni of the GDEC program, and obviously they've gone on to have very impressive careers!

Also, I'm only 23 (I graduated college a year early) but I'm married and nearly every one of my friends is 24-26 right now. I have definitely grown since undergrad. I'm wondering if they admitted more students with experience this year since they had far more GDEC applicants than usual, and thus were more selective (I heard this part from one of the program directors at the social hour).
That's interesting! I'd love to see those numbers - that would definitely push me towards Hopkins if the incoming cohort will be older/more experienced.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, this thread's been a bit dead so I figured I'd try to revive it. I was accepted to the MSPH Health Policy track and I wanted to know everybody else's thoughts on price vs. prestige. I was also accepted to GW on a full tuition scholarship (both years), so the roughly $65k here would be a pretty big hit. I don't have any debt from undergrad (went to a not-so-great public school on a full ride), so I'm not sure if it's worth it now. I know for the MSPH in policy (not sure if the others are the same) students work entire second year, with "most" in a salaried position with benefits. Would this work experience/income offset the cost at all or be worth paying extra for? Also does anyone know if there is any sort of stigma with MSPH vs. MPH?

I know for the MSPH in policy (not sure if the others are the same) students work entire second year, with "most" in a salaried position with benefits. Would this work experience/income offset the cost at all or be worth paying extra for?

This doesn't apply to your situation specifically, but for the MSPH in general...subsidized federal and some private loans don't accumulate interest while you are in school. So in the second year of the MSPH program, you are a fulltime student but you could potentially be throwing your salary at interest-free loans. Depending on the loan amount and how aggressive you are paying it off, this might save you a few thousand compared to other programs.

Also does anyone know if there is any sort of stigma with MSPH vs. MPH?

I know Hopkins says they're equal in terms of prestige, but I'm not sure. I actually applied to both the MPH and MSPH program at JHU so I've been thinking about this a lot. I feel like there has to be HR people in public health organizations, especially ones who regularly hire out of top schools, who know the difference and see the MSPH as lower due to lack of work experience? But maybe they just let the resume do the talking.

Also, anecdotally, I asked this question a few times at JHU Visit Day. None of the MSPH students I spoke with had strong opinions about getting an MSPH vs MPH. One said she felt it was right for her since she had more time to take classes she wanted. But multiple MPH students advised me to get an MPH over MSPH even without knowing my background. It was a little odd. There might be some stigma within the school itself or at least among the people I spoke with.

I'm interested to hear what others think!

Congrats on your scholarship to GW as well! I don't think you can go wrong with health policy+DC. I worked there briefly in the federal sector and the three Milken's graduates I interacted with were absolutely at the top of their game.

Hey guys, this thread's been a bit dead so I figured I'd try to revive it. I was accepted to the MSPH Health Policy track and I wanted to know everybody else's thoughts on price vs. prestige. I was also accepted to GW on a full tuition scholarship (both years), so the roughly $65k here would be a pretty big hit. I don't have any debt from undergrad (went to a not-so-great public school on a full ride), so I'm not sure if it's worth it now. I know for the MSPH in policy (not sure if the others are the same) students work entire second year, with "most" in a salaried position with benefits. Would this work experience/income offset the cost at all or be worth paying extra for? Also does anyone know if there is any sort of stigma with MSPH vs. MPH?

I also got into MSPH health policy at JHU and it’s currently my #1 choice. If I were you, I’d go with the full tuition at GW. D.C has so many Policy-related opportunities. While JHU is a prestigious name in public health, the chance to be debt-free from a respectable, accredited masters program is rare. Some people turn down amazing but low paying internships/fellowships because of massive debt.

If your heart is set on JHU, you can reduce the debt by using your field placement salary to cover room/board. Also, if your field placement is with a JHU employer, you’ll get tuition remission to cover the 25% tuition we have to pay. So second year can be free if you 1. Use field placement salary wisely and 2. Choose JHU-affiliated employer for tuition remission.

Reactions: 2 users
I also definitely got the vibe that the MPH is seen as more prestigious within JHU. I have 2 years work experience and I spoke to some faculty members who were surprised I applied to the MSPH. But they're such different programs, I don't think the prestige should be a deciding factor (especially since I think it only exists within JHU). The MPH requires more core type classes, which is great if you already have a more established career in public health or a clinical degree, and the MSPH is designed to let you specialize and build skills. I want to use my Masters to gain Epi skills, so even though I have the work experience for the MPH, it wouldn't give me what I want out of a degree. All my mentors said the MSPH will not put me at a disadvantage in the job market.

I went to GW for undergrad and while I loved Milken, it's definitely not at the same level as Hopkins. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about GW!

Last edited:
Has anyone received their financial aid package + any scholarships/grants? Although I was accepted (MSPH) back in the end of January, I'm starting to become concerned that I haven't heard back about financials. I am also worried that I somehow missed the boat for applying to scholarships, or if my admissions application also doubles as the scholarship app as well.

Following up on our conversation about age in the MSPH cohorts - I spoke with a current student who said more younger students volunteered for admitted students day. They estimated it's roughly 1/3 straight from undergrad, 1/3 1 - 3 years working experience, 1/3 3+ years.

Has anyone received their financial aid package + any scholarships/grants? Although I was accepted (MSPH) back in the end of January, I'm starting to become concerned that I haven't heard back about financials. I am also worried that I somehow missed the boat for applying to scholarships, or if my admissions application also doubles as the scholarship app as well.
Your admissions application doubles as the scholarship app. I got my aid package in early March - it was all loans plus work study which seems pretty typical for Hopkins.

The total cost for just tuition in the 2-year MSPH is $65K including the 75% off the 2nd year? How?

Hi all, has anyone received any email from their MSPH department? I'm in Health Behavior and have received none...nor do I know of any Facebook page with the MSPH cohort or department cohort. Anyone received any news since sending in your deposit in April?