Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.

Horrible interview skills

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by idiotface, Dec 31, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. idiotface

idiotface

Dec 31, 2016
    Wow! Awesome. Have a good time in med school. I'm going to encourage my friend to apply there, as well lol. That would be funny if she gets in and you start seeing her next year.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. bears1992

bears1992 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Jan 5, 2017
    Florida
    How has this current cycle been treating you? Did you apply this year?

4. idiotface

idiotface

Dec 31, 2016
    Yes, I have done MD and Im going to DO soon after. No invites yet, but hopefully Ill get one next month.

5. Neurosa

Neurosa

Mar 4, 2017
    So I have only read the first, fifth and sixth page of the comments so I have no idea if someone has mentioned this already or that you have already done that (if you have awesome and forget what I said) but here it goes:

First of all congrats on re applying. I think it is telling a lot about your character (in a positive way) that you are willing to get up again after being rejected. Keep fighting the good fight!
    With regards to your interview: Practice practice practice. Not just repeat questions and answer them but try to make contact with different people (say hi once in a while to people in elevators for all I care) so you can practice your social skills. You are going to need social skills in medicine.
    And third of al: move out of your parents house. Get a job. Preferably patient contact related but if you can't go work in a supermarket for all I care. Take this year to grow as a human being by getting financial responsibilities. That will a) get your dad off your back with the hurry up, go to bed school so you can move out attitude and b) it will show a level of maturity in the interviews and c) it will give you confidence. I love being able to pay my own bills and even though I sometimes have to sacrifice things that I want to do, I would not want it any other way. After med school you are going to have residency. That is going to be tough. If you have to combine that with figuring out how to adult for the first time it will just be more difficult.
    Good luck. I do hope you get in.

6. westbill

westbill

May 30, 2016
    You should understand that the medical profession is populated by people with all manner of personalities, so while your self-admitted lack of interview skills can definitely be overcome, the descriptive explanations of your interpersonal mishaps and your incessant self-denunciations strongly suggest you need to seek professional help so you can navigate your life, which might in turn culminate in a successful medical school experience.

frosted2 likes this.
  7. gullu101

gullu101 5+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2012
    hSDN Member
    Hey, I was wondering if you could send me the list as well? I would really appreciate it

8. idiotface

idiotface

Dec 31, 2016
    Im thinking about going to the Career Development Center at my university to practice. To be honest, the feedback I was given by the last school was illuminating and he gave me feedback I haven't had throughout my mock interview prep. Go figure... It really puts things into perspective and now everything makes sense. I have been interviewing like that for a long time dating back to my first DO interview in May '15. I thought that was a positive thing, being relaxed and smiling and treating my interviewer as an acquaintance or friend. However, this is the first time I'm being told that this is not the way to do it. This makes me honestly feel more confident because I'd rather be more serious when speaking. I don't want to leave my dad just yet and I want to make sure that everything will be fine with him in the future. Right now is not a good time. I'm actually going back to college in the upcoming year. I do have some bearing in the financial responsibilities as it is right now because my dad is practically illiterate for all intents and purposes and he needs someone to take care of anything that requires reading, writing, or technology. Yes, I appreciate the "adulting" that I'm doing right now because I know how much it's going to help later. Thanks and if I don't get in, it will be alright. I have no regrets. I just want to get in where I fit in. If that's not medicine, then so be it.

9. idiotface

idiotface

Dec 31, 2016
    Wow, that was a long sentence. Okay, I know everyone is telling me to seek help. I will do it when I feel the time is right, which is when I feel it is truly out-of-control. Right now, I don't feel like that. I will post about it if that time ever comes. Thanks.

10. idiotface

idiotface

Dec 31, 2016
    Applied to 27 schools most of them in early-mid august. DO schools done in September. I have an interview coming up. Wish me luck ppl. I think Ill be fine. Tomorrow im going to the dry cleaners. Oh and an appointment with the career development center will hopefully be in the works. Hope im not too late. I dont want to mess this one up. Ive been in school and volunteering. Discussing returning to my physics lab now that the PI has more time on his hands. My friend got good news, he got a 508 and so now he will be applying. Lets cross our fingers for him, as well. Thanks, Ill check back in later.

toofar3 and DrfluffyMD like this.