This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, alright. You know you best. Wishing you luck on the two remaining waitlists anyway, hopefully they'll get back to you soon now that we're post-traffic day.
I doubt they will lol, although it would be a dream if they did. Thanks for accepting my point of view. Modern medicine is about patient autonomy, letting a patient make their own informed decisions. In an SDN thread, there should be pre-med autonomy instead of med students, doctors, and faculty forcing ideas down my throat.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude. What part of what I've said in any of these posts makes you think I'm trying to make you feel badly in any way?

I'm trying to get through to you the obvious severity of your situation. If it's not normal to have so many post interview rejections, don't you think you owe it to yourself to really understand what's going on that makes these interviews end so badly for you?

You're not going to get in without doing things extremely differently. You can go ahead and tack on hundreds of great EC hours year after year but you'll never get in if every interviewer you get worries about your mental health.

Solve that by taking care of yourself FIRST. Getting in will follow VERY easily once you are healthy.

You're the only thing standing in your way right now. Realize that and do something about it
Well, I think what you said to Goro is something that was said to make me feel bad. Saying that you feel bad for him watching this conversation and that it's painful to watch. It sounded like a shot at me- saying that I have cognitive dissonance in my posts and implying that I'm confused or deluded. I didn't completely understand what you guys were talking about, but I assume that's what you and him mean. Because I saw no cognitive dissonance in the posts and Goro doesn't like me, I assume it was a shot at me. Sure, I do owe it to myself. That's why Im getting feedback from all the schools and going on SDN and talking to people. I'm not just tacking on hours, I am addressing a common critique of my application. Interviewers don't worry about my mental health. One thought I didn't convey why I wanted to be a doctor well enough. At another, I fell ill at the MMI and afterwards they said there was a problem with my content. The last school didn't allude to my interview in why I was rejected. I don't think interviewers think I'm psychotic after spending 30 minutes with me. That's a stretch. It's just subpar interview performance. It's hard to take care of myself first when I have a family that constantly needs me to do stuff for them and a dog at home that I don't want to leave alone all day.

You ever consider there's an underlying issue surrounding everything?
No lol not everything and not this, either. I dont even have low self-worth, just low confidence. Meaning I believe in the concept of myself in the big picture, but in little social things throughout the day, I have low confidence and high anxiety. Also, your name is cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I think what you said to Goro is something that was said to make me feel bad. Saying that you feel bad for him watching this conversation and that it's painful to watch. It sounded like a shot at me- saying that I have cognitive dissonance in my posts and implying that I'm confused or deluded. I didn't completely understand what you guys were talking about, but I assume that's what you and him mean. Because I saw no cognitive dissonance in the posts and Goro doesn't like me, I assume it was a shot at me. Sure, I do owe it to myself. That's why Im getting feedback from all the schools and going on SDN and talking to people. I'm not just tacking on hours, I am addressing a common critique of my application. Interviewers don't worry about my mental health. One thought I didn't convey why I wanted to be a doctor well enough. At another, I fell ill at the MMI and afterwards they said there was a problem with my content. The last school didn't allude to my interview in why I was rejected. I don't think interviewers think I'm psychotic after spending 30 minutes with me. That's a stretch. It's just subpar interview performance. It's hard to take care of myself first when I have a family that constantly needs me to do stuff for them and a dog at home that I don't want to leave alone all day.
No problem I get yah, just look to keep improving you aren't crazy, just really worried because it a very competitive process and psyching yourself out, its all good, what you go through is normal and I have experienced it as well, life responsibilities often take a lot of time and not everyone is out to get you. Lol, though it feels that way Goro isn't a bad person I don't think he's probably more experienced after reviewing a lot of cases, he doesn't hate other people have different approaches to life, but I know some individuals who only got into MD after 3-4 years and they really like where they are at right now, because they didn't take no for an answer, not everything in life is clear or cut out cleanly and its easy to get frustrated and there is a lot of blame to get around, just learn to shrug it off, because people aren't going to change and what works for someone else may not work for others. As long as you working hard toward your goals and reflect on yourself I believe you all can do it. Don't let the self doubt consume, sometime I wake up at night in cold sweats in fear, but I won't let that stop me I know I can get better and I can do well. Just practice like hell, outwork everybody and don't do it for others but for yourself. Its easy to get defensive, but its better to get out on the offensive and find out what steps to take to absolutely master your craft. Most people post advice to help, and sometimes you feel deeply disappointed with your reality, but you know what you need to do make it work instinctively. Stop worrying and don't let things faze you, if when you look back think about how great it is to prove em. You know what it takes just go out and kill the interview, be the guy with the advantage have the trump card in your hand, not their hands don't be their bitch. Think about it, you are probably in the negative feedback loop, and that doesn't help you but what does how can you improve in your interview, how did you answer the questions? Its not just about how to get an acceptance, but more on how are you a fit for the school and what you can do for them, but you will find a way. Just realize that these people aren't always out to help you or what they think as help might not always be in your best interests and not get the ego's involved. Because if you start saying you don't want D.O. and or whatever, and then say you are reapplying how is it going to look from the other side? obviously they aren't going to like it LMAO. But it doesn't help your plight, but you also got to consider if you feel like it's beneficial to take that risk that you are taking since you are applying for the 3rd time, but I would love to hear more about the different interviews and the experiences and where you can improve or felt weak at. You don't have to win everybody over, just the interviewers ;)

No lol not everything and not this, either. I dont even have low self-worth, just low confidence. Meaning I believe in the concept of myself in the big picture, but in little social things throughout the day, I have low confidence and high anxiety. Also, your name is cool.
Confidence and anxiety can play huge roles in interviews. Actually, they can be the entire interview especially one for medical school. I believe the person interviewing you asks themselves if they can imagine you being a doctor, someone who isn't confident and visibility anxious can sway their opinion regardless of academics.

Anxiety is a bitch, but don't worry we gotta keep hustling haha we gonna take em down. Just use the rage and and anxiety in constructive way or find some outlet meditation, dancing, video games, kicking the dog anything, it is stressful, but you gotta learn to cope because it won't go away in Graduate School. That's why people smoke or drink, but yeah probably not constructive haha

Sorry that was probably immature of me, but its all good things will work out eventually! Yeah, I think probably you don't have to much to worry about. Just focus think of the school what they want in an applicant and why you would be a good fit. Stay away from anything to do with the social minefields, and focus on positive things. Nobody likes a downer or a rambler I guess, and get prepared I don't know. You probably know more than I do on what you need to do.

No problem I get yah, just look to keep improving you aren't crazy, just really worried because it a very competitive process and psyching yourself out, its all good, what you go through is normal and I have experienced it as well, life responsibilities often take a lot of time and not everyone is out to get you. Lol, though it feels that way Goro isn't a bad person I don't think he's probably more experienced after reviewing a lot of cases, he doesn't hate other people have different approaches to life, but I know some individuals who only got into MD after 3-4 years and they really like where they are at right now, because they didn't take no for an answer, not everything in life is clear or cut out cleanly and its easy to get frustrated and there is a lot of blame to get around, just learn to shrug it off, because people aren't going to change and what works for someone else may not work for others. As long as you working hard toward your goals and reflect on yourself I believe you all can do it. Don't let the self doubt consume, sometime I wake up at night in cold sweats in fear, but I won't let that stop me I know I can get better and I can do well. Just practice like hell, outwork everybody and don't do it for others but for yourself. Its easy to get defensive, but its better to get out on the offensive and find out what steps to take to absolutely master your craft. Most people post advice to help, and sometimes you feel deeply disappointed with your reality, but you know what you need to do make it work instinctively. Stop worrying and don't let things faze you, if when you look back think about how great it is to prove em. You know what it takes just go out and kill the interview, be the guy with the advantage have the trump card in your hand, not their hands don't be their bitch. Think about it, you are probably in the negative feedback loop, and that doesn't help you but what does how can you improve in your interview, how did you answer the questions? Its not just about how to get an acceptance, but more on how are you a fit for the school and what you can do for them, but you will find a way. Just realize that these people aren't always out to help you or what they think as help might not always be in your best interests and not get the ego's involved. Because if you start saying you don't want D.O. and or whatever, and then say you are reapplying how is it going to look from the other side? obviously they aren't going to like it LMAO. But it doesn't help your plight, but you also got to consider if you feel like it's beneficial to take that risk that you are taking since you are applying for the 3rd time, but I would love to hear more about the different interviews and the experiences and where you can improve or felt weak at. You don't have to win everybody over, just the interviewers ;)
This thread started out as me asking if I can get in with a bad interview. That's really all I wanted to know. I doubt I ever asked for advice, although I don't want to go back and review all of my posts. I am guessing I didn't ask for advice. Naturally, that turned into a pre-med advising session, but somehow turned into a bunch of people shoving ideas down my throat (therapy, applying DO). I could understand some suggestions, but people wouldn't let it go. They don't like me not wanting to go DO, but I have yet to see an mdapps profile where someone good enough to get into MD applies to DO. Why don't they get on the 521/3.9er's case and ask them to go DO as a "backup plan," if DO and MD are truly equivalent? After all, they might not get in if they apply to only top-30 schools. No, they're backup is more likely to apply to low and mid-tier or even to take a gap year- rather than apply DO. Also, I don't think I've seen someone accepted to both MD and DO programs and choose the DO program over the MD program. Why is that if they're equivalent degrees? Let's stop being politically correct all the time and admit that no one wants to do DO voluntarily. I knew someone at my university who went DO because he applied to bunch of MD's as a URM with a 504. He didn't get into MD, so he ended up going DO. When I talked to him before he matriculated, he saw DO as more of a backup to MD- not an equivalent degree. If I feel like I can get into MD, I will go for it. I am certainly not psyching myself out or being irrational. I don't know what about my application suggests that. My application is solid for MD programs- not overwhelming or underwhelming. I hate when the conversation veers off to DO. Awhile back, a DO/PhD candidate from my school texted me and asked me if I applied to DO. When talking to an admissions dean post-rejection, they asked me if I applied DO. It's a difficult thing to deal with when talking med school apps, because if you say "no" then you come off as narrow-minded or not truly wanting to be a physician. But I have to continue to be truthful and say "no." The best reason I could put forth is this: "If I am good enough for MD, then why stop short of MD and settle for DO? If improvements can be made and I can get into MD, then why not do them? I owe it to myself to get into MD given my stats. It's not like I'm settling for an alternate program because the possibility to get into MD is slim to none. Rather, I would be settling for an alternate program because I don't want to put in that extra effort. And that's something that I never want to do." If I had a low MCAT and/or GPA, then I would certainly consider DO. But I owe it to myself to try for MD if I can.

Confidence and anxiety can play huge roles in interviews. Actually, they can be the entire interview especially one for medical school. I believe the person interviewing you asks themselves if they can imagine you being a doctor, someone who isn't confident and visibility anxious can sway their opinion regardless of academics.
Yes, I am sure it does. But you originally asked if low self-worth is underlying everything as a reply to me suggesting that my desire to do MD is not a way to escape low self-worth. It had nothing to do with interviews in the first place. I do recognize that anxiety is detrimental to interview performance.

Anxiety is a bitch, but don't worry we gotta keep hustling haha we gonna take em down. Just use the rage and and anxiety in constructive way or find some outlet meditation, dancing, video games, kicking the dog anything, it is stressful, but you gotta learn to cope because it won't go away in Graduate School. That's why people smoke or drink, but yeah probably not constructive haha
The last thing I'll do is kick my dog lol. I don't believe anxiety can be constructive. If it seems so, then you can probably be even more constructive without the anxiety. To me, it's just a negative factor in my life.

Sorry that was probably immature of me, but its all good things will work out eventually! Yeah, I think probably you don't have to much to worry about. Just focus think of the school what they want in an applicant and why you would be a good fit. Stay away from anything to do with the social minefields, and focus on positive things. Nobody likes a downer or a rambler I guess, and get prepared I don't know. You probably know more than I do on what you need to do.
Don't worry, the drink thing wans't immature. Plenty of successful pre-meds drink. Okay, I'll be fine. I'll find a way.

This thread started out as me asking if I can get in with a bad interview. That's really all I wanted to know. I doubt I ever asked for advice, although I don't want to go back and review all of my posts. I am guessing I didn't ask for advice. Naturally, that turned into a pre-med advising session, but somehow turned into a bunch of people shoving ideas down my throat (therapy, applying DO). I could understand some suggestions, but people wouldn't let it go. They don't like me not wanting to go DO, but I have yet to see an mdapps profile where someone good enough to get into MD applies to DO. Why don't they get on the 521/3.9er's case and ask them to go DO as a "backup plan," if DO and MD are truly equivalent? After all, they might not get in if they apply to only top-30 schools. No, they're backup is more likely to apply to low and mid-tier or even to take a gap year- rather than apply DO. Also, I don't think I've seen someone accepted to both MD and DO programs and choose the DO program over the MD program. Why is that if they're equivalent degrees? Let's stop being politically correct all the time and admit that no one wants to do DO voluntarily. I knew someone at my university who went DO because he applied to bunch of MD's as a URM with a 504. He didn't get into MD, so he ended up going DO. When I talked to him before he matriculated, he saw DO as more of a backup to MD- not an equivalent degree. If I feel like I can get into MD, I will go for it. I am certainly not psyching myself out or being irrational. I don't know what about my application suggests that. My application is solid for MD programs- not overwhelming or underwhelming. I hate when the conversation veers off to DO. Awhile back, a DO/PhD candidate from my school texted me and asked me if I applied to DO. When talking to an admissions dean post-rejection, they asked me if I applied DO. It's a difficult thing to deal with when talking med school apps, because if you say "no" then you come off as narrow-minded or not truly wanting to be a physician. But I have to continue to be truthful and say "no." The best reason I could put forth is this: "If I am good enough for MD, then why stop short of MD and settle for DO? If improvements can be made and I can get into MD, then why not do them? I owe it to myself to get into MD given my stats. It's not like I'm settling for an alternate program because the possibility to get into MD is slim to none. Rather, I would be settling for an alternate program because I don't want to put in that extra effort. And that's something that I never want to do." If I had a low MCAT and/or GPA, then I would certainly consider DO. But I owe it to myself to try for MD if I can.

The whole point of my earlier post is that the people who have gone to MGH or Stanford are still doing safety interviews and yes, I would tell people who are 4.0 /40 mcat to apply to DO too. I didn't apply to DO and got an acceptance in Feburary. The wait was terrible.

But hey, you do you. You can have autonomy. Just don't ever be training under me and want to have "autonomy" when it comes to patient care approaches that violate the current best practice.

Mkay. Seems you've got it all figured out. Well good luck then.

Members don't see this ad :)
The whole point of my earlier post is that the people who have gone to MGH or Stanford are still doing safety interviews and yes, I would tell people who are 4.0 /40 mcat to apply to DO too. I didn't apply to DO and got an acceptance in Feburary. The wait was terrible.

But hey, you do you. You can have autonomy. Just don't ever be training under me and want to have "autonomy" when it comes to patient care approaches that violate the current best practice.
So the rationale for applying to DO is to yield quicker results? Don't worry, I won't train under you and "want to have 'autonomy' when it comes to patient care approaches that violate the current best practice."

Mkay. Seems you've got it all figured out. Well good luck then.
Was I wrong in thinking that you and Goro were saying something bad about me? What was the cognitive dissonance that was "painful to watch"? I know you're probably not going to answer since you didn't the first time, but I might as well ask again.

Was I wrong in thinking that you and Goro were saying something bad about me? What was the cognitive dissonance that was "painful to watch"? I know you're probably not going to answer since you didn't the first time, but I might as well ask again.
You were absolutely wrong. You didn't even read what I said to Goro correctly. As this thread has progressed, its become very clear that you're not open to feedback and are perfectly content in proceeding as you already have. That's really unfortunate, but its your life so good luck with that. Hope it works out for you.

You were absolutely wrong. You didn't even read what I said to Goro correctly. As this thread has progressed, its become very clear that you're not open to feedback and are perfectly content in proceeding as you already have. That's really unfortunate, but its your life so good luck with that. Hope it works out for you.
Well, to be fair, I didn't ask for advice, just feedback. You guys are advising me to do some things I don't want to do. I would rather hear feedback like when I recite my experience at an interview, I would like to know what went wrong. I already got that and I appreciate that. As for telling me to get therapy or pursuing an alternate degree program, that's at my discretion and I need not heed that advice. I hope you take no offense to that, but I figure it's better than saying I will do it knowing full well that I would be lying just to please some people. I see no cognitive dissonance in that and I wonder if the term was misused.

ok just opened up my aacomas application and had everything copied from two years ago. If I hav to apply, Im looking at the following schools: Rowan, NYIT, PCOM, UNECOM (I have to take an online behavioral science course), WVSOM, VCOM, and Campbell. I had an epiphany and realized that leaving here is more important than my aspirations...
also looking at like 25 MD's. 4 of them I will hav applied three times. I admit applying to a school three times may be a major disadvantage so I tried to steer clear of those schools. Costs are gonna add up. Although, I can't wait to travel, those solo road trips looking at the spacious pastures, forests, and mountains are why I live.

Reactions: 1 users
ok just opened up my aacomas application and had everything copied from two years ago. If I hav to apply, Im looking at the following schools: Rowan, NYIT, PCOM, UNECOM (I have to take an online behavioral science course), WVSOM, VCOM, and Campbell. I had an epiphany and realized that leaving here is more important than my aspirations...
also looking at like 25 MD's. 4 of them I will hav applied three times. I admit applying to a school three times may be a major disadvantage so I tried to steer clear of those schools. Costs are gonna add up. Although, I can't wait to travel, those solo road trips looking at the spacious pastures, forests, and mountains are why I live.

Best of luck. Glad you turned around.

Best of luck. Glad you turned around.
but the behav sciences prereq is a problem for 3 schools, not just unecom. so its gonna be annoying. i might have to take it in the summer online.

i was perusing through the new version of MSAR, which i am extremely pleased with, and came to a startling realization. Most schools have general volunteering as much as clinical volunteering from their matriculants. How important is it to have such non-clinical general volunteering? Should I not apply without it? I don't know how to find such opportunities. I know @ciestar had tremendous success because of general volunteering, but I simply don't know how to get it. Any input would be appreciated.

i was perusing through the new version of MSAR, which i am extremely pleased with, and came to a startling realization. Most schools have general volunteering as much as clinical volunteering from their matriculants. How important is it to have such non-clinical general volunteering? Should I not apply without it? I don't know how to find such opportunities. I know @ciestar had tremendous success because of general volunteering, but I simply don't know how to get it. Any input would be appreciated.

Habitat for humanity, homeless shelters, animal rescue, food bank, etc. whatever floats your boat.

Go for it, good luck Idiotface I'll be rooting for you!

Go for it, good luck Idiotface I'll be rooting for you!
thanks, also i called the school that im on the middle third of the WL and they said the class is full. The only way for someone to be accepted off the WL is for someone to withdraw. They look at the person who withdrew and get someone of similar demographics off the WL. So for example, if an OOS female withdraws, they have to get an OOS female off the WL. But they did say they are welcoming letters of intent still. So I might just go ahead and write one even though it will probably be useless. The problem here is that May 1 already forced acceptees to choose one school and withdraw from all others. So everyone who is currently on the class list has just that one acceptance remaining. I feel the only way someone else will withdraw is if they are still on the WL at another preferred school and they are given an acceptance from them. This probably won't happen frequently over the next month. So I feel I have to rethink my idea of May 1- not as a day that causes a domino effect of acceptee commitments and WL acceptances, but rather as just a deadline for this slow and drawn-out trafficking.

ok i submitted my app today, i really like it. i think its way better than last one. my personal statement is different and the way i wrote my clinical activities has changed. i cant wait! i still dont like my 125 in cars, so i wanna do some practice tests and see if i score decent. maybe ill take it a fifth time. ive been doing a lot of reading the past year, maybe it will help. ive been reading humanities, politics, law, instead of normal science digest. hopefully, my science skills arent much worse than what they used to be. i think my anxiety is about the same or maybe less. But theres no doubt i feel better when i have less stimulants and more water. i know someone on here said i dont know what im talking about, but all that matters is what i feel and my emotions. if it helps, i have mitral valve prolapse and i read online that people with that condition tends to have anxiety and should avoid certain things like caffeine and stimulants so i doubt its my imagination. anyway, im confident everything will be fine this cycle. im applying to new schools ive never applied to, as well as the schools i got an interview from. i want some fresh eyes to look at my app. also, letters are on their way. this next year ill be volunteering and hopefully shadowing. thats it for now.

ok i submitted my app today, i really like it. i think its way better than last one. my personal statement is different and the way i wrote my clinical activities has changed. i cant wait! i still dont like my 125 in cars, so i wanna do some practice tests and see if i score decent. maybe ill take it a fifth time. ive been doing a lot of reading the past year, maybe it will help. ive been reading humanities, politics, law, instead of normal science digest. hopefully, my science skills arent much worse than what they used to be. i think my anxiety is about the same or maybe less. But theres no doubt i feel better when i have less stimulants and more water. i know someone on here said i dont know what im talking about, but all that matters is what i feel and my emotions. if it helps, i have mitral valve prolapse and i read online that people with that condition tends to have anxiety and should avoid certain things like caffeine and stimulants so i doubt its my imagination. anyway, im confident everything will be fine this cycle. im applying to new schools ive never applied to, as well as the schools i got an interview from. i want some fresh eyes to look at my app. also, letters are on their way. this next year ill be volunteering and hopefully shadowing. thats it for now.

If you are in a position to (as in single), start doing some online dating. It helps with the interviews.

I kid you not.

If you are in a position to (as in single), start doing some online dating. It helps with the interviews.

I kid you not.
Well, I had a girlfriend, but I think we drove each other crazy. We both have bad family experiences, i dont know if thats just a coincidence. I dont think the experience helped, as you can see. I would rather relax before interview time, I dont want more stress. Are you sure I should try that?

Well, I had a girlfriend, but I think we drove each other crazy. We both have bad family experiences, i dont know if thats just a coincidence. I dont think the experience helped, as you can see. I would rather relax before interview time, I dont want more stress. Are you sure I should try that?

If not that, join meet up groups and talk to strangers. The key is to talk to strangers and make conversations flow.

Hey, good luck to you this cycle!

I wouldn't recommend retaking another MCAT at this stage in the cycle. a lower score in cars shouldn't be too much of a problem, as long as no section score is below 125.

If not that, join meet up groups and talk to strangers. The key is to talk to strangers and make conversations flow.
I feel like I do a bit of that in my volunteering right now. Sometimes, I have a conversation with our visitors when I'm taking them around in a wheelchair. Also, I would like to do some mock interviews at my university. Cant forget about that. I should do that sooner rather than later. I really like to talking to people when they are not scrutinizing or judgmental. If I had to choose between a friend meet-up and online dating, I would go for online dating. What site do people use anyway?

Hey, good luck to you this cycle!

I wouldn't recommend retaking another MCAT at this stage in the cycle. a lower score in cars shouldn't be too much of a problem, as long as no section score is below 125.
Thanks. I still want to do those practice tests and see if that reading did anything for me. I am going to take them untimed. Would there be any repercussions for taking them a fifth time?

Thanks. I still want to do those practice tests and see if that reading did anything for me. I am going to take them untimed. Would there be any repercussions for taking them a fifth time?
A fifth retake, especially if you already have a decent composite score, will reflect poorly on your decision making and hurt your application. I would focus your efforts on pre-writing secondaries or building interview skills if you're inclined.

Also improve those non-clinical hours of yours. It will give you a chance to explore your community and meet new people.

Last edited:
A fifth retake, especially if you already have a decent composite score, will reflect poorly on your decision making and hurt your application. I would focus your efforts on pre-writing secondaries or building interview skills if you're inclined.

Also improve those non-clinical hours of yours. It will give you a chance to explore your community and meet new people.
I dont know how to find non-clinical. I dont want to go far away for volunteering like for Habitat for Humanity or Peace Corps. I want to do something nearby. Also, yes I always pre-write secondaries. And I will try to do some interview prep, as well. It's hard to find extended interview prep for free. Last cycle, I managed to get two hours with my pre-med committee. It wasn't a quality two hours, either.

:troll:

This thread is hilarious, and I'm surprised the Mods haven't caught on and nixed it yet.

Would there be any repercussions for taking them a fifth time?

If you retake the MCAT, you need to do better than your previous attempt. A 514 is a very high bar to surpass, and it's already a perfectly fine score. People will wonder why you retook it, and you'll need to be able to point to a significantly better 5th score to say "see? I knew I could do way better". But as you mentioned yourself, in this past interview cycle you were already asked about taking the MCAT so many times. So it seems like with a 5th retake, you'd have little to gain and a whole lot to lose.

Last edited:
If you retake the MCAT, you need to do better than your previous attempt. A 514 is a very high bar to surpass, and it's already a perfectly fine score. People will wonder why you retook it, and you'll need to be able to point to a significantly better 5th score to say "see? I knew I could do way better". But as you mentioned yourself, in this past interview cycle you were already asked about taking the MCAT so many times. So it seems like with a 5th retake, you'd have little to gain and a whole lot to lose.
No yeah I know. I just am worried cuz i got denied from my priority school because of my 125 in cars

Yea, well they said it was a concern. Along with my lack of patient contact. And because its competitive.
1 MCAT = Great
2 MCAT = Good
3 MCAT = Okay
4 MCAT = You're pushing it
5 MCAT = Not good.

You need to improve significantly on this MCAT if you choose to retake. If you only increase your MCAT by 2 or 3 points, that will be very concerning to an adcom. But please do not retake this late in the cycle. By the time you get back your scores it will be around September/October, when you should have everything finished.
I would improve the rest of your app. You mentioned not having non-clinical? Volunteer at soup kitchens. Find children to tutor. Try to get experiences with other human beings that you can talk about in an interview.

1 MCAT = Great
2 MCAT = Good
3 MCAT = Okay
4 MCAT = You're pushing it
5 MCAT = Not good.

You need to improve significantly on this MCAT if you choose to retake. If you only increase your MCAT by 2 or 3 points, that will be very concerning to an adcom. But please do not retake this late in the cycle. By the time you get back your scores it will be around September/October, when you should have everything finished.
I would improve the rest of your app. You mentioned not having non-clinical? Volunteer at soup kitchens. Find children to tutor. Try to get experiences with other human beings that you can talk about in an interview.
Okay, I'll see what I can find. Thanks.

try volunteermatch.org , sometimes you can find good opportunities there that might not be as popularly known or linked with your university.
Sure, that's a great idea. I wish I knew about that before. Right now, I feel like I have settled into my role at the hospital and I appreciate what I'm doing so I'm not so eager to look for opportunities at the moment. Also, I am applying and working on secondaries and stuff. But later on down the line, if I want to do some volunteering, I will definitely consult that website. I appreciate it. Thanks ScottTenorman54, I wish I knew this earlier.

TAKING THE CASPER EXAM TODAY MADE ME EAT MY LAPTOP. AAAGHHH!!!!!!!!!!! +pissed+:boom:

I got feedback from the fourth school. They couldn't criticize me on anything. They said my app, metrics, experiences, and interview were good. They said if I applied earlier, I would've gotten accepted. Hint: its a school someone who comments frequently on this thread is going to start at this fall, but that's as far as I'll go. I think I'll reapply, they have a cheap secondary anyway. My student interviewer there is now doing residency at Uchicago Med, so yeah it's kind of a good program lol. I should be done with secondaries in a few days. Hallelujah! I know I was upset about casper but I think I did better than last time. I just hate the time limit. Also, I should be doing DO, as well. Hopefully, mostly northeastern schools. For the mental health situation, i had a couple days where i had coffee and chocolate, and it got worse so ive stayed away from that stuff and i just might for a long time to come. Thats all for now, will update later.

Got feedback from the fifth school. Bad interview feedback across the board... too relaxed, self-confidence issues. Not enough clinical exposure. Didnt shadow enough specialties. Good metrics. So yeah I guess I was just another numbers applicant. Anyway, this has been the most useful feedback. So I will use it to guide my reapp and interview campaign. Im complete at nearly 20 schools and I will be doing 2 more MDs and many more DO's. And sending in updates liberally. And if it doesnt work out, then I don't know lol, but I think it will be fine. Thats all for now.

Got feedback from the fifth school. Bad interview feedback across the board... too relaxed, self-confidence issues. Not enough clinical exposure. Didnt shadow enough specialties. Good metrics. So yeah I guess I was just another numbers applicant. Anyway, this has been the most useful feedback. So I will use it to guide my reapp and interview campaign. Im complete at nearly 20 schools and I will be doing 2 more MDs and many more DO's. And sending in updates liberally. And if it doesnt work out, then I don't know lol, but I think it will be fine. Thats all for now.
"Didn't shadow enough specialties" Is this a new requirement? 100+ hours of shadowing is the new norm now?

"Didn't shadow enough specialties" Is this a new requirement? 100+ hours of shadowing is the new norm now?
I imagine it depends on the school, but this one said they typically look for 100 hours and more than one specialty. But yeah I was surprised by this, as well. There's many applicants that haven't done that much. Talk about an unnecessary standard. When medicine becomes more amenable to pre-medical students shadowing physicians, then you can start having that as a standard. But so as long as HIPAA guidelines deter students, schools should be more lenient with respect to shadowing hours. Btw, I noticed you got in dude. Congrats! I know someone in a similar situation with their metrics and she's been stressing about her GPA. Care to share where you got in so I could tell my friend? By your location, I would guess Nova.

I imagine it depends on the school, but this one said they typically look for 100 hours and more than one specialty. But yeah I was surprised by this, as well. There's many applicants that haven't done that much. Talk about an unnecessary standard. When medicine becomes more amenable to pre-medical students shadowing physicians, then you can start having that as a standard. But so as long as HIPAA guidelines deter students, schools should be more lenient with respect to shadowing hours. Btw, I noticed you got in dude. Congrats! I know someone in a similar situation with their metrics and she's been stressing about her GPA. Care to share where you got in so I could tell my friend? By your location, I would guess Nova.
I only had 40 hours of shadowing from ER and family medicine. It was never an issue at any school I applied to. Makes me wonder what the unwritten requirements are going to be in 10-20 years. Oh and I got into ARCOM. I got the call yesterday!

Status
Not open for further replies.