MD & DO How am I doing so far? + advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firelord_zuko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on SDN, though I frequently consult the forums :D I just found out that I got a B+ in my physics 1 class along with a C+ in the lab. :arghh: I am planning to withdraw from physics lab and retake it..what do y'all think about this?

I've been quite down in dumps lately about my grades and MCAT and what not...so I'd like to know what my chances at medical school are now

I am planning to apply to med schools in Texas and elsewhere in the US (both MD and DO)

Going into the fall of my junior year

GPA: 3.66
Science GPA: 3.63

Individual Classes & Grades:

Freshman Year:
Fall

Seminar class (1 hour): A
Introductory Biology 1 (3 hours): A
Principles of Chemistry 1 (3 hours) A
Scientific Inquiry Class (3 hours): A
Art History (3 hours) A-

Spring
American Government (3 hours): A-
Bio Lab (3 hours): A
Bio Lab Conference Course (1 hour): A
Principles of Chemistry 2 (3 hours): A
Introductory Biology 2 (3 hours): A

Sophomore Year:
Fall

Japanese 1 (6 hours): A
Bio Research (3 hours): A
Organic Chemistry 1 (3 hours): B-
Genetics (3 hours): B

Spring
Japanese 2 (6 hours): B+
Organic Chemistry 2 (3 hours): B
Organic Chemistry lab (2 hours): A
Bridging Disciplines Seminar Class (1 hour) : A
Biochemistry (3 hours): A

Summer 2016:
Physics 1 (3 hours): B+
Physics 1 lab (1 hour): C+

MCAT: I studied for it a little this summer (and took the Princeton Review class), but because of my physics 1 class and lab I couldn't dedicate enough time to it :arghh: (big mistake I know) My plan is to studying during the fall and winter break and take it in January.

I know you can't say much yet, because I don't have an MCAT score yet, but I'd still like opinions.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the super long post!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on SDN, though I frequently consult the forums :D I just found out that I got a B+ in my physics 1 class along with a C+ in the lab. :arghh: I am planning to withdraw from physics lab and retake it..what do y'all think about this?

I've been quite down in dumps lately about my grades and MCAT and what not...so I'd like to know what my chances at medical school are now

I go to a really big university in Texas. ;) and am planning to apply to med schools in Texas and elsewhere in the US (both MD and DO)

Going into the fall of my junior year

GPA: 3.66 (with the C+ in physics lab) 3.68 (if I drop the C+ in physics lab)
Science GPA: 3.63 (with the C+ in physics lab) 3.68 (if I drop the C+ in physics lab)
Major: Neuroscience BSA and Japanese minor

Individual Classes & Grades:

Freshman Year:
Fall

Seminar class (1 hour): A
Introductory Biology 1 (3 hours): A
Principles of Chemistry 1 (3 hours) A
Scientific Inquiry Class (3 hours): A
Art History (3 hours) A-

Spring
American Government (3 hours): A-
Bio Lab (3 hours): A
Bio Lab Conference Course (1 hour): A
Principles of Chemistry 2 (3 hours): A
Introductory Biology 2 (3 hours): A

Sophomore Year:
Fall

Japanese 1 (6 hours): A
Bio Research (3 hours): A
Organic Chemistry 1 (3 hours): B-
Genetics (3 hours): B

Spring
Japanese 2 (6 hours): B+
Organic Chemistry 2 (3 hours): B
Organic Chemistry lab (2 hours): A
Bridging Disciplines Seminar Class (1 hour) : A
Biochemistry (3 hours): A

Summer 2016:
Physics 1 (3 hours): B+
Physics 1 lab (1 hour): C+ <--- wanting to drop this class and then retake it

MCAT: I studied for it a little this summer (and took the Princeton Review class), but because of my physics 1 class and lab I couldn't dedicate enough time to it :arghh: (big mistake I know) My plan is to studying during the fall and winter break and take it in January.

I know you can't say much yet, because I don't have an MCAT score yet, but I'd still like opinions.

Extracurriculars:
~ American Red Cross Club at (my university): Mass CPR Chair (6 months) ; Secretary (1 year) ; VP (this coming up year)
~ TA for undergrad class (1 semester)
~ Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC): no leadership (~1.5 year)
~ Synthetic Biology Research (1 year) presented my work with my team at a scientific conference in Boston
~ Shadowing (26 hours)
~ Hospital Volunteering (~1.5 years)
~ Aikido Club: Student Representative (~1 year)

Planning on continuing the Red Cross Club & SHAC this coming up semester

Thanks in advance and sorry for the super long post!!!
So far you're application looks great to me. Good EC's. Solid GPA. Is your research ongoing still? Make sure you keep up with the leadership experience as VP of the red cross and get good experience with that.

Just kill that MCAT and don't forget to get good LOR's. Have your application ready before the cycle starts. Good luck!

What are the hours on those ECs? Did you take the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
So far you're application looks great to me. Good EC's. Solid GPA. Is your research ongoing still? Make sure you keep up with the leadership experience as VP of the red cross and get good experience with that.

Just kill that MCAT and don't forget to get good LOR's. Have your application ready before the cycle starts. Good luck!

Wow, thank you so much AlteredScale!! This gives me hope! My research isn't ongoing...I stopped a semester ago. Would it be best to continue it or join another lab? I did enjoy my research, but I just got caught up in academics that I couldn't devote enough time for it.

About LOR's, how many would I need?

Thank you again! Will do!

What are the hours on those ECs? Did you take the MCAT?

I haven't calculated the exact amount of hours, but I'm sure I have around ~100 or so from Red Cross, ~50 from hospital volunteering

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, I will be in January