How competitive is the air force scholarship program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

username121234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience/insight into the air force HPSP? I know it's competitive, but how competitive? Anyone with their stats that got in/rejected? Any insight or advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have any experience/insight into the air force HPSP? I know it's competitive, but how competitive? Anyone with their stats that got in/rejected? Any insight or advice is appreciated.

It's competitive (12 4-year scholarships available my year; a lot more 3 year scholarships).

The stats really vary (3.6-4.0, 20 DAT-very high DAT scores) so don’t get too hung up on those - and they take a holistic view of your app. I'm on it and I had decent stats but in my interview, the Dental Officer talked a ton about my research, leadership, and motivation/reasons for pursuing it.

Best of luck. It’s a great program. I’m humbled every time I think about the fact that I will get serve the members of our Air Force, and I am filled with gratitude for how they have eliminated the stress over paying for school. I am working very hard in school right now so that I can give our service members my very best work once I enter active duty.

It’s an awesome opportunity (all branches are) and I say go for it.

Incis0r is the man for getting the AF 4-year.

I didn't get on the HPSP train until the 4-year cycle had passed, but I did apply for and receive the AF 3-year scholarship.
Like the above, 3 years are more plentiful, so therefore easier to get. When I applied it was about 1:2 chance of getting the scholarship. I was a really competitive applicant, with a 3.5 and 21AA, but more importantly I interviewed really well and scored great on the leadership and EC components of the application (GPA and DAT are worth a good chunk of points, but aren't all of it).

Apply, and apply early if you're thinking about it. If you don't get the 4-year then you can basically roll over to the 3-year application. This coming year there are even 2-year scholarships available, but those aren't every year and still incur a 3 year payback period. The process overall takes forever so be patient and stay on your recruiter. Mine was amazing, but I've heard that's not super common.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
The process overall takes forever so be patient and stay on your recruiter. Mine was amazing, but I've heard that's not super common.

Agreed. This is very important - all sorts of delays can happen. My file was delayed for MONTHS due to medical clearances.

My recruiter went above and beyond.

Another pro tip: if you appreciate your recruiter’s efforts, write letters to his/her supervisor letting them know. I wrote two letters for my recruiter’s supervisor and heard that it helps their careers. Also gave my recruiter a silver dollar as per tradition. He told me it meant a lot to him.