How do you all feel when answering CARS questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I select answers for the CARS passages, I feel like I'm guessing on almost all my answers. I am only certain of my answer choices a few times throughout the CARS sections. I'm doing decent on the CARS Q-packs and I also did decent on the PR review CARS sections. Its not like im missing a ton of CARS questions, its just the fact that I dont feel very confident selecting the answers. Anyone else feel this way? Or do yall normally feel pretty confident selecting your answer choices? I feel pretty confident about my answer selections in the other sections, its just CARS where i find myself just picking an answer and praying its correct lol

Members don't see this ad.

I usually am able to narrow it down to 2 probable answers. Then I re-read the question to make sure that one of the answers actually pertains to the question. It seems like a lot of the answers are "correct" but don't really answer the question being asked.

There are definitely sometimes where none of the answers seems right or all of the answer feel like they could answer the question. In those cases, I try and orient my perspective to the authors perspective.

I find passages easier to read and comprehend when I find them personally interesting. That can be hard sometimes when it feels like they are written in old English with complicated wordplay.

Anyways, I usually do fairly well, with a 127, 128, and 128 on my practice full lengths.
Now if only I could get my P/S and B/B to a 127+...

Reactions: 1 user
I usually am able to narrow it down to 2 probable answers. Then I re-read the question to make sure that one of the answers actually pertains to the question. It seems like a lot of the answers are "correct" but don't really answer the question being asked.

There are definitely sometimes where none of the answers seems right or all of the answer feel like they could answer the question. In those cases, I try and orient my perspective to the authors perspective.

I find passages easier to read and comprehend when I find them personally interesting. That can be hard sometimes when it feels like they are written in old English with complicated wordplay.

Anyways, I usually do fairly well, with a 127, 128, and 128 on my practice full lengths.
Now if only I could get my P/S and B/B to a 127+...

@KiddCo - It sounds like you're putting some good strategies to use. I think there is a common pattern where the CARS will give you a trickster answer choice that is TRUE but isn't CORRECT. That can be a useful thing to reminder yourself of as you go through a question that appears to have multiple good answer choices.

Ultimately, the CARS is a section that is not "black and white" in the way the science sections are. There is a lot of gray where you might not have the best feeling in the world after answering. If you're able to stick with good timing habits and consistently use good strategy, this will help you select the right answer when it's not obvious which true answer is correct.

Wishing you the very best on your MCAT!

Warmest,
Nick

Reactions: 1 user