This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedoc1231

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So my #1 problem when reading the passages is FOCUS, especially when I find the topic to be not very interesting, like in CARS section. This causes me to re-read the passage several times in order to understand, and the time runs out. What strategy do you follow to keep yourself focused?

Members don't see this ad.

Read it in someone's interesting edgy, smirking voice.

Like Obama reading a bedtime store to you.

Reactions: 1 user
My two suggestions:
1. Get your mind right before going in. What I mean by that is that you tell yourself you will focus and won't let distractions get to you. Don't look up at anyone, just you, your computer, and scratch paper. If noise is an issue, get some foam earplugs (i like them b/c i concentrate best in silence).
2. Tell yourself that you will enjoy the passage. Yeah, the topic may suck, but if you hate reading it, your not gonna get anything out of it. Have a good attitude about it

I also agree w/ everything above. The more you do it, the more you get used to it. Good luck studying

Members don't see this ad :)
I try not to read the passages in the way I would read a newspaper or a book. I just try to read at a quick and steady pace without any long pauses, just so that I know where to look back in the passages to find answers to the questions.

The more actively you read a passage, the easier it is to stay engaged and not lose focus. My strategy is this: I look for certain cue words (transitions, absolutes, and conclusions primarily), I ask myself why the author is making the argument, and I make predictions about what is coming next. That combination works well for me on about 90% of passages. For the other 10% (like philosophy or any other dense passage), I prefer to look over the questions to see what details are important before reading the passage.

If you can become more of an active reader, the focus follows automatically. Make reading a passage less of a passive receipt of the author's argument and more of a dialogue between you and the author where you are always asking questions. You are guaranteed to encounter boring material at some point on the test, so have a plan for it. And the reality is that when you are a physician, you will have patients that bore you or that you don't like. You need to have a strategy with them as well to prevent making mistakes. Be systematic. Develop your critical reading/thinking system now because you can use it for the rest of your career.

Hi all,

So my #1 problem when reading the passages is FOCUS, especially when I find the topic to be not very interesting, like in CARS section. This causes me to re-read the passage several times in order to understand, and the time runs out. What strategy do you follow to keep yourself focused?
Focus comes from within. You focus by having a high level of intrinsic motivation to succeed. This motivation comes from being able to clearly articulate to yourself why this is the path you desire. You also need to ensure stressors are low in your life.