Quantcast
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedoc1231

Full Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
14
Reaction score
4

Members don't see this ad.
Hi all,

So my #1 problem when reading the passages is FOCUS, especially when I find the topic to be not very interesting, like in CARS section. This causes me to re-read the passage several times in order to understand, and the time runs out. What strategy do you follow to keep yourself focused?
 

SteyrFWB

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 2, 2015
Messages
205
Reaction score
153
Read it in someone's interesting edgy, smirking voice.

Like Obama reading a bedtime store to you.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

BBBallIsLife

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2017
Messages
279
Reaction score
411
My two suggestions:
1. Get your mind right before going in. What I mean by that is that you tell yourself you will focus and won't let distractions get to you. Don't look up at anyone, just you, your computer, and scratch paper. If noise is an issue, get some foam earplugs (i like them b/c i concentrate best in silence).
2. Tell yourself that you will enjoy the passage. Yeah, the topic may suck, but if you hate reading it, your not gonna get anything out of it. Have a good attitude about it

I also agree w/ everything above. The more you do it, the more you get used to it. Good luck studying
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

BlueRocket

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2017
Messages
57
Reaction score
80
I try not to read the passages in the way I would read a newspaper or a book. I just try to read at a quick and steady pace without any long pauses, just so that I know where to look back in the passages to find answers to the questions.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Medical Muse

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
125
Reaction score
47
The more actively you read a passage, the easier it is to stay engaged and not lose focus. My strategy is this: I look for certain cue words (transitions, absolutes, and conclusions primarily), I ask myself why the author is making the argument, and I make predictions about what is coming next. That combination works well for me on about 90% of passages. For the other 10% (like philosophy or any other dense passage), I prefer to look over the questions to see what details are important before reading the passage.

If you can become more of an active reader, the focus follows automatically. Make reading a passage less of a passive receipt of the author's argument and more of a dialogue between you and the author where you are always asking questions. You are guaranteed to encounter boring material at some point on the test, so have a plan for it. And the reality is that when you are a physician, you will have patients that bore you or that you don't like. You need to have a strategy with them as well to prevent making mistakes. Be systematic. Develop your critical reading/thinking system now because you can use it for the rest of your career.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

thinkchangeflow

Full Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2017
Messages
119
Reaction score
60
Hi all,

So my #1 problem when reading the passages is FOCUS, especially when I find the topic to be not very interesting, like in CARS section. This causes me to re-read the passage several times in order to understand, and the time runs out. What strategy do you follow to keep yourself focused?
Focus comes from within. You focus by having a high level of intrinsic motivation to succeed. This motivation comes from being able to clearly articulate to yourself why this is the path you desire. You also need to ensure stressors are low in your life.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
Top