How do you guys deal with the competition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How do you guys stay positive

• I don't

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • I try to ignore it the best I can

Votes: 29 63.0%

• Total voters

Sugarplum94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Okay, I am sure almost everyone has been through this boat, if you haven't good for you and hopefully you never sail this ship, but my question is very simple, how do you deal with the competition around you? It seems like almost everyone wants to get into medical school, and the competition is extremely high, we all know that. I also know that some people try to decrease the competition by putting others down, or try to over exaggerate their MCAT scores or grades, to direct their friends to the DO route, because it helps them in the long run. I have met many like that, and although now I am not as worried as I was before, because I won't be taking the traditional route anyway, but I did notice a lot of inferiority complex, self-doubts and depression amongst many pre-meds, medical students, and doctors as well, and there is no support group or any sign of positive motivation for a lot of premeds, including advisors who basically try to do the same so that the best 4.0 students with perfect scores get in medical schools and those who may fail to make the mark are told to find something else. I want to know how you all deal with this extreme competition, and how do you guys try to be positive and not self-doubt when you see your peers doing way better than you, or you don't match your own expectations sometimes?
NOTE: Please be kind, I don't want answers like, "Well if you aren't 4.0 you shouldn't become a doctor," or "Well if you get discouraged you shouldn't be in this field.' Most of us have been through this, and I feel like staying positive and encouraging others helps us encourage ourselves.

Members don't see this ad.

The only person you should be competing with is yourself.

90% of all pre-meds never make it to med school.

People lie, so don't believe it when some ignorant pre-med tells you something.

Do what you love, and love what you do.

Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You do you, there are more medical schools and seats than ever before. No need to be adversarial to others.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm just a competitive person in almost every aspect of life. That's not to say I put people down or do anything of that nature, but its the competitiveness that makes it fun for me. There's different ways people can be competitive though because for me its not a competition to beat everyone else, but its more of a competition to beat certain aspects of the application. Take the MCAT for example I don't see it as trying to beat everyone else that's taking it. I see it as trying to beat the test and get the goal score I'm looking for. Use the competition to push yourself to be better not to push everyone else to be worse.

Reactions: 5 users
If your stats are good enough, you'll get in.
Regardless of Charlie and Billy and Stacy or how well they do.

Spend less time thinking about everyone else and put that energy into your books.

Try your best to ignore others-- those who usually talk the most are usually the least successful/are the ones who never get accepted. If you're like me who really can't ignore those who put you down, use those words as a motivator to work even harder. Don't let people like that get to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone,
Okay, I am sure almost everyone has been through this boat, if you haven't good for you and hopefully you never sail this ship, but my question is very simple, how do you deal with the competition around you? It seems like almost everyone wants to get into medical school, and the competition is extremely high, we all know that. I also know that some people try to decrease the competition by putting others down, or try to over exaggerate their MCAT scores or grades, to direct their friends to the DO route, because it helps them in the long run. I have met many like that, and although now I am not as worried as I was before, because I won't be taking the traditional route anyway, but I did notice a lot of inferiority complex, self-doubts and depression amongst many pre-meds, medical students, and doctors as well, and there is no support group or any sign of positive motivation for a lot of premeds, including advisors who basically try to do the same so that the best 4.0 students with perfect scores get in medical schools and those who may fail to make the mark are told to find something else. I want to know how you all deal with this extreme competition, and how do you guys try to be positive and not self-doubt when you see your peers doing way better than you, or you don't match your own expectations sometimes?
NOTE: Please be kind, I don't want answers like, "Well if you aren't 4.0 you shouldn't become a doctor," or "Well if you get discouraged you shouldn't be in this field.' Most of us have been through this, and I feel like staying positive and encouraging others helps us encourage ourselves.

I have met lots of premeds like those you mentioned. How do I deal with them? I just don't befriend them. You have to be selective about who to spend time with. This process is already stressful enough; no reason to make it more stressful by subjecting yourself to all that negativity. Get out of the stress bubble. Find supportive friends.

Reactions: 5 users
You dont let your entire self image and sense of worth depend on your career as a physician.

Reactions: 7 users
For me as a pre-med it was the realization that doubt is normal and there will be always people who are better than me. Those things are out of my control and as a result not where I should be spending my efforts on changing. But what I could potentially do well in, I would make sure I absolutely did everything I could to blow them out of the water (no pun intended). Unfortunately (or fortunately?) for me I realized that pretty late as a pre-med, but better late than never.

EDIT: Emphasis on "blowing what I could do well out of the water"

Last edited:
I've never felt I was competing with anyone for a place in medical school. I was trying to put together the best package I possibly could and take my chances with that. Unless you need your classmates and other premeds to drive you forward I'd forget they are even there and focus on metrics, experiences, and narrative.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow thank you guys for such positive replies, I understand the whole competing with yourself, that's the best way to go about it, and I love how everyone is just so positive here, but there are times for me personally, where I definitely have doubts and see others doing better than me, or are steps ahead of me like taking the traditional route, and coming from an Asian society, where if you are unconventional you are looked down upon, really doesn't help, but I guess I am learning. Thank you all for being so positive :) <3

Honestly, theres two ways I go about this.

1. Tell myself to do the best I can and improve every day

2. Embrace the competition, use it as motivation. But not by being a jerk, or by sabotaging others. Just by wanting to be the best.

*2 is sometimes easier for me because Im just a super competitive person

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just never told anyone I was a pre- med and did my own thing.
Didn't have anyone telling me any scores/misleading advice and they didn't know mine either

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Having personally had "gunners" target me multiple times during my 4 years as an undergrad, I just learned to keep to myself about academics. I never share my test scores/MCAT/extracurriculars or anything related to pre-med with other fellow pre-meds, with the exception of a few, close friends. People just can't help but feel inadequate when they find out you out-performed them vastly on exams or have done some extracurricular that they haven't or whatever, and they will either inadvertently loathe you for it or target you with malicious intent.

In regards to my frame of mind regarding the competition, frankly, I just don't care. I have too much to worry about in my own life that I don't have the time to ponder "what-ifs" or compare myself to others.

Premeds are the worst kind of people. Honestly just ignore it. If anyone asks me about something, I just tell them. It doesn't matter to me if someone did better on this or worse on that or is doing something different than me. You should be busy enough (or have enough outside of school activities i.e hanging out with friends, hobbies, relaxing) that what another student thinks is the last thing on your mind. Most of my friends are engineering or business majors. They might have no idea how much stuff premeds have to do, but they don't care either. And that's what makes it great. My family doesn't even really know I'm premed let along random classmates.

1tqnxy.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Like others have said above, you should be competing against yourself. A medical student gave me this quote, "Everyone has their own lane, maintain yours... there's less traffic and no speed limit."

Now, to explain an amusing story of a gunner. My sophomore year I transferred to a university and my best friend knew I was starting chemistry. She gave my number to her friend, who was taking the same chemistry class. The spawn of satan and I ended up sitting next to one another in class. Little did I know, she was the student everyone avoided. I constantly heard statements like, if you have less than a 3.8 you don't deserve a spot in medical school, I was born for this, etc... Two years later she is still applying to medical school and decided to pursue other career options. Life lesson: Some students talk big, but they are trying to cope with the same issues we are all facing.

Keep your head up! I trust you will become a great physician. Good luck!

Honestly, I am so glad I wasn't premed in college. I did a lot of really meaningful activities over the past fifteen years that shaped who I am today and had nothing to do with trying to prepare the best application for medical school. Of course, now I am completely not competitive for medical school, but I might still get in somewhere. Keep your head up and you can make it through.

One thing I've found that has been helpful is that I honestly want everyone around me to succeed. I am tutoring a few students right now and nothing would make me happier than finding out they all got into medical school, even if I don't. This comes to me naturally and has never been something I've had to work at. But I think it might help people who feel like they are drowning in the competition. Find something you enjoy that you are good at and focus on that. Then cheer everyone on around you and you will feel less overwhelmed!

I too am afraid of where the world is heading when someone named Sugarplum94 begins to harbor sordid feelings of the future. Do I need to ask? What happened to your twin sister Glumplum49? What dark times we live in.

Take with your blade and duke others out...Just kidding.
To be honest, there's no the method you want, and the most traditional answer is already given by Goro anyway.
Competition is there and you can really do nothing about that.

The best advice I ever got: Don't tell anyone you're a premed. Seriously. There were a tiny handful of people who knew I was a premed when I was in college and it was wonderful not to have to deal with stupid questions, terrible advice, or snarky/backstabbing people.

Hey Everyone,
What do I do with the brutal premed competition on campus? I work hard and beat it.

I too am afraid of where the world is heading when someone named Sugarplum94 begins to harbor sordid feelings of the future. Do I need to ask? What happened to your twin sister Glumplum49? What dark times we live in.

I don't know why this made me laugh out loud, my professor thinks I've finally gone mad but no it's just that I live in a very Asian community where everyone knows everyone and like I was never aiming to become a doctor, like 90% of the people I know, because of my own insecurities, situations and tbh I thought the only thing I can don in my life was do a 9-5 job with little meaning, or value, at least to me, because I was never the top 20 or even the 30% of my class, I did was what needed to be done and my situation at home turned drastic when I entered college it was around my 2nd or my third year where I really did decide I wanted to be a doctor but because of various reasons I have made average/below average grades, they are getting better but all my peers from my town have graduated and when they see me, or when their parents see mine, they talk like their sons/daughters have reached the moon by starting the MCAT process. And while I do know my situations have really put me in a tough position but I can't help but think how low of myself, and this is not just a rare occasion thing, but a bi weekly thing But I guess I gotta soldier on. Lol but thank you all this really lifted me up, knowing that I am not the only one who faces this.

Make friends that don't stress you out but friends that do well in classes. Premeds are a mixed breed and honestly a few good friends and advice can make the difference between a B+ and an A. Some friends give you study tips and resources.

Not everyone is evil or competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Having supportive friends is key! It honestly helps if those friends are in different fields. I lost most of my pre-Med friends after they saw that them doubting me didn't dull my shine. My best friends to this day are a law student, a business major, a guy who works for the government, and two who are studying international affairs. They never felt the need to be competitive with me, because we all wanted different things. The only thing we had in common was the want for all of us to succeed. It was glorious.

The only person I compete with now is myself. That should be the general outlook.

Just be true to yourself and your goals.

Hey Everyone,

You certainly raise a reasonable question, and it sounds like some self-doubt has perhaps seeped into your mind. Seems like for you, and really for everyone who is considering the medical route, it's a given that there are going to be folks all across a spectrum of abilities and motivations. You already know what the acceptable package looks like, at least in a broad way. You have already encountered deceit, obfuscation, posturing, etc...from your potential "competitors", but it seems it would be important to remember 3 things:

1. Your competitors don't get to decide who gets accepted; in large part, it is the sum total of your efforts, uniqueness, and overall qualifications that will be the determining factor. Therefore, why give others that completely unwarranted influence over you?
2. If you are truly resolute in your desire/goal to become a physician, you might practice a degree of mindfulness about your career choice; doing so should provide the necessary ballast to counter any negative thoughts.
3. If part of your wavering confidence is d/t less-than-stellar performance on your part, it might be useful to objectively dis-aggregate sub-optimal academic performance; doing so might enable you to zero in on faulty study/prep habits so "peers aren't doing way better than you." At the very least, such objective analyses will help you feel you are in control, which in itself will likely reduce your trepidation. Also, it seems like a recounting of your experiences in this regard would make for a very engaging and memorable interview experience.

Hope this helps; keep your head up, and good luck!

You certainly raise a reasonable question, and it sounds like some self-doubt has perhaps seeped into your mind. Seems like for you, and really for everyone who is considering the medical route, it's a given that there are going to be folks all across a spectrum of abilities and motivations. You already know what the acceptable package looks like, at least in a broad way. You have already encountered deceit, obfuscation, posturing, etc...from your potential "competitors", but it seems it would be important to remember 3 things:

1. Your competitors don't get to decide who gets accepted; in large part, it is the sum total of your efforts, uniqueness, and overall qualifications that will be the determining factor. Therefore, why give others that completely unwarranted influence over you?
2. If you are truly resolute in your desire/goal to become a physician, you might practice a degree of mindfulness about your career choice; doing so should provide the necessary ballast to counter any negative thoughts.
3. If part of your wavering confidence is d/t less-than-stellar performance on your part, it might be useful to objectively dis-aggregate sub-optimal academic performance; doing so might enable you to zero in on faulty study/prep habits so "peers aren't doing way better than you." At the very least, such objective analyses will help you feel you are in control, which in itself will likely reduce your trepidation. Also, it seems like a recounting of your experiences in this regard would make for a very engaging and memorable interview experience.

Hope this helps; keep your head up, and good luck!

I think you've given some excellent advice; it's a great idea to just stay self-contained, trust those who have proven trustworthy, and go for it!

One thing that's been helpful to me is joining a pre-health related club on campus that has a non-competitive environment. It's a twofer because you find friends you can work on schoolwork with while also learning about resources and advice for your desired field. Whatever you choose to do, just know that those who are acting unnecessarily competitive are only hurting themselves. One person is not going to make the difference between whether or not they get into medical school.

F***king slay the competition, of course.

Ha, jk. I mostly kept to myself in undergrad and did my own thing. No need to get involved with the toxicity of competitive premeds. Keep your head low and you do you, dude. Life'll be so much better that way.

This is perfect.
As someone who had a rough start to college, I vividly remember feeling inadequate around other students who would boast about their 3.9 GPAs and stellar ECs. Years later at graduation, I flipped through the commencement program and noticed that I graduated ahead of many of those same people. I'm certainly not a rockstar applicant (actually, slightly below average) but this just goes to show that (1) people lie and you shouldn't be worried about how they are doing and (2) great performance early in undergrad is not always maintained. Hard work will get you to the finish line.
SAME! A little hard work goes a long way.

Hey Everyone,
A lot of people have given some great advice, I just want to say that the competition doesn't suddenly end once med school starts. You're going to be surrounded by extremely bright people who are going to outperform you in many ways. It's easy to feel inadequate, but don't compare yourself to others. It's a great lesson to get you through both the pre-med rat race and life in general. You seem like a bright person, keep doing your thing and you'll come out on top.

F***king slay the competition, of course.

Ha, jk. I mostly kept to myself in undergrad and did my own thing. No need to get involved with the toxicity of competitive premeds. Keep your head low and you do you, dude. Life'll be so much better that way.
"Never give up, trust your instincts" definitely applies to this