How do your parents feel about your decision?

Started by Two
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Two

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just out of curiosity, how do your parents feel about your decision to attend vet school or to become a veterinarian? Are they proud of you & are willing to help you? I feel as though my parents don't think I can do it (I think I can!) & they are not being as supportive as they could be. It's almost like they are just trying to appease me or "entertain my idea" of going to vet school, but don't think I'll actually make it. I wanted to know if I wasn't the only one feeling this way or if all your parents boarded the vet school train long ago.
 
They have always been supportive, helpful, etc but in the past couple years, my mom has been pushing for me to also apply to med school at the same time as vet school (which is my backup anyways, but I want to try getting into vet school a couple times first before I give up and apply to med). They definitely think I can get into both vet and med school though.
 
My parents are being completely unrealistic with the whole process. They have TOO much faith in me ("oh, don't worry, you'll get in somewhere"). I don't think they realize how much of a crapshoot this process is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My darling Mom doesn't even think I can make it through a bachelor's in biology, much less a graduate degree. Her opinion is that I should "give up now and go to nursing school."
 
SocialStigma: That's awesome! At least she is supportive of you. I think she just worrys about your future, but that's what moms do 🙂

NStarz: At least your parents boarded the vet train, that is the important part. If they have too much faith in you, I guess that means they are willing to help you out when you can. In my opinion, a little too much faith couldn't hurt anyone.

nohika: This is why we have SDN. When our parents have no faith in us at all (or we have no clue what we are doing), we have SDN. At least that's how I see it. I've seen all these different boards about how other pre-vets aren't sure if they can do it. Everyone on SDN becomes their own personal cheer section.
 
My parents are supportive and proud of my decision. My mom is quite realistic and keeps saying how hard I have to work during undergrad and how I have to stay on top of everything. My dad on the other hand, just thinks I can do it. When I'm having doubts he just says "you'll do it" and I'll ask him how he know's I can. Then he replies with "because you have too". So, I think having a parent who is supportive and realistic regarding the work involved is wonderful, along with having a parent who has faith that I can do it.
 
nohika: This is why we have SDN. When our parents have no faith in us at all (or we have no clue what we are doing), we have SDN. At least that's how I see it. I've seen all these different boards about how other pre-vets aren't sure if they can do it. Everyone on SDN becomes their own personal cheer section.

The sucky thing is that none of my friends think I can make it through a bio degree, either. 😎 They're of the mindset that I should do a humanities degree, like the rest of my nursing-school-bound friends are doing.

I don't have a very supportive home environment. :laugh:
 
My parents both thought I was going to fail out of undergrad within a semester. When I ended up on dean's list and several honors programs within the year instead, they became a lot more supportive about my goals. :laugh: My mother now offers a ton of semi-misplaced advice that has good intent.
 
I've been fortunate enough to have very supportive parents through both undergrad and now that I'm in vet school. They understand that's it's hard work, though.

Also, apparently most of my hometown (it's a small town) is looking forward me graduating--I just hope they will understand that I have bills to pay too!
 
Super duper supportive always. I am very fortunate to have amazing parents (and siblings who are just as supportive!)
 
My parents are kind of hard to judge. I think they aren't really expecting me to stick with this. I wanted to be a vet all throughout high school and then freaked out my senior year and decided to major in nursing at a community college (there was some male influence there too...aka - now exboyfriend🙄) Ended up at a 4 year liberal arts/humanities college that has a great nursing program. Was a nursing major my first semester and then decided I wanted to be a doctor (dumped the guy during this period of time and learned to think for myself 😀), so switched to a bio major. Had pre-med intent for a year, and then really started thinking and decided to apply for vet school. So, needless to say, I think my parents are just expecting me to change my mind again.

But other than that, they are supportive yet realistic. They're paying for all of my application stuff, but just for this year. They are very opposed to me going out of state, since it's so expensive, but I don't think that they understand that I will have a crapload of debt anyways.

Wow, so that ends my novel :laugh:
 
My mom keeps asking me why I don't want to be a "real doctor" and go for the MD, and my dad never graduated from high school so he doesn't understand why I want to keep going to more school and always asks me why I don't want to learn how to work on cars and do other odd jobs with him.

On the other hand, my aunt and uncle are both vets who are extremely interested in what I am doing and very supportive; along with my grandma who is almost beside herself with anxiety about the fact that I haven't got in yet and continues to call me weekly with totally useless advice, but with the best of intentions.
 
My parents tend to think school = lazy and are often comment on wasting time. On the other hand, they brag to people outside the family (never in front of me) and right now, when I am having to consider withdrawing, they are offering to help out with some finances and caring for some of my dogs.

Now....I would love to have some of my classmate's parents...the ones who are paying the mortgage on a house for their child and footing the vet school bill + the UG bill.... I think, even if they said it was the stupidest thing I could ever do, I would be in heaven with those actions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My parents have always been the most supportive, helpful, nurturing parents. They have funded my undergraduate education (including an extra year after a bit of a mental break down last summer) and intend to help me as best they can with veterinary school costs. They really believe in me and my ability to succeed in whatever I choose to do, however cliche that sounds.

The thing that gets me is that they are often a bit over-supportive, my father especially. Don't get me wrong - I'd rather their blind faith than no support, but it gets to me when (after expressing frustration and doubts over getting in), they say, "Oh don't worry, I know you'll get in." To be honest, the general response of "Everything will be OK!" to any frustration or doubt that I have about anything irritates the hell out of me. For them to brush off my conerns about such a huge part of my future can get under my skin sometimes.

But really, I couldn't ask for better when it comes to parents!
 
My entire family is incredibly supportive. I just don't think they realized how competitive and hard it is to get into veterinary school. They found out after I did not get in last year. They are the type that kept saying, "I know you will get in because you are so smart." Instead of being realistic. Maybe this year they will be more realistic since they see how difficult it is. But, it is nice to have the support. Now, if I could just find a rich uncle for the financial support I would be set. 😛
 
My parents have always been incredibly supportive of anything I've undertaken, especially vet med. Especially after my father died, my mum's entire existence has been geared toward helping me as much as possible to get that acceptance letter. Coming from a family of cattle farmers that goes back to, oh i dunno, the invention of agriculture, veterinary medicine is pretty much the most important and esteemed thing I could do with my life. Even my grandfathers tell everyone they know all about various vet schools and how their granddaughter is NOT being a vet assistant like so-and-so down the road. While I don't think any of my aunts, uncles, siblings, grandparents, neighbours etc etc etc! realize just how difficult it can be to get into veterinary school, I am UNBELIEVABLY thankful to have their emotional support.

(they are also all silently cheering for all those pre-vets on that "computer message thing libellule is always talking about")
 
My entire family is incredibly supportive. I just don't think they realized how competitive and hard it is to get into veterinary school. They found out after I did not get in last year. They are the type that kept saying, "I know you will get in because you are so smart." Instead of being realistic. Maybe this year they will be more realistic since they see how difficult it is. But, it is nice to have the support. Now, if I could just find a rich uncle for the financial support I would be set. 😛

I wish my family was a bit more realistic too. My mom and brother are both telling me, "You'll get in, no problem", while my sister just says good luck. Fortunately, my fiance is a bit more down to Earth, and understands I might not get in this first time. Still, he is incredibly supportive, and is always helping me make sure my application is as strong as it can be. His family is also supportive, but is more realistic than my family as well.
 
I'm very grateful to have the 110% support of my mom and dad, boyfriend, and boyfriend's family (who have also become my second family). They all think I can do it and do whatever they possibly can to help me along the way. Whether it be financial or moral support!

I'm sorry to hear that not all of you are so lucky.
 
(they are also all silently cheering for all those pre-vets on that "computer message thing libellule is always talking about")

My roommate is in the UCDavis class of 2013 and has an SDN account. Once, I was talking to her mom, after I got in, and she mentioned that she knew my avatar was "that flying thing" (I used to have a Pegasus Knight from Fire Emblem as my avatar) and she's happy that I got in because I seemed very helpful! I definitely thought that was pretty cute/funny! :laugh:
 
My parents are fine with me going to vet school but that's pretty much the only aspect of my life they are fine with.

... I don't really talk to them.
 
... I don't really talk to them.

This reminds me... my dad doesn't even know what my career goals are, but his mom (my grandma...) told me this when my fiance and I got engaged:

"Just don't let it get in the way of your education."

I guess I can take that as support...😕
 
I was more or less disowned when I was accepted to and made it clear that I would be attending vet school. My parents think I'm a failure for moving out and leaving them to live my own life. They help me if I truly need it as long as it doesn't involve vet school, and I think they're proud that I've accomplished what I have since they tell everyone they meet that their daughter will be a doctor soon, but I also think they would have preferred if I was one of those people who lived in their parents' basement playing video games till they inherited the house by default because the parents died. Morbid and strange, but true. They still ask me in all seriousness how long it'll be before I finally move back into my old room at their house so we can all be together again.

Family is special.
 
Super supportive, extremely proud, and (in my dad the MD's case) a teensy bit jealous. 😉

You should have seen the relief on their faces when I told them I was going to go to vet school rather than grad school for poetry. It still hasn't worn off yet.
 
I think my parents are mostly confused. I have explained the process of applying to vet school to them multiple, multiple times. Now that I have my Bachelor's degree, they don't understand why I can't find a 9-5 job as a lab tech or something. I am desperately searching for a job at a clinic and I think they think I'm wasting my time 🙁. They are engineers though, I don't expect them to know my world.
 
My mom didnt think i was going to accomplish it till i got my letter of acceptance. she sorta supported me by basically doing all the house chores. but she causes problems along the way. i definitely owe my sister everything because she helps me out soo much. i'm lucky. i already told her that once i start working that she could quit her job. 🙂
 
My parents were always supportive. There wasn't "really" any pushing. Just to get me enough on my toes to asses if the direction I had in mind was the right direction. Although my dad was threatening me with the MCAT next year if I didn't get in this past cycle, they were very proud and I gave them license to brag.

My dad is aware of the cost, amount of work and eventual pay; so going an MD route makes more sense to him (being that he doesn't have an interest in either field). Now that I'm in, he is kinda wanting me to go into LA, but is fine with my desire to go into zoo medicine. He knows about the number of students that change their minds, so I think he is hoping. 🙄

As for trying to get in, after I let them know the number of applicants and the number of seats, my parents were more realistic about my odds and the difficulty. They were prepared for a second round of application which was a nice pressure relief.
 
My family is completely unsupportive ... Which is why they haven't been told that i'm applying for murdoch next year. When I mentioned considering vet school earlier in the year they shot me down. They think i'm stupid to leave a well paying job after already having been to uni once. They dont understand why I want to go back again. Luckily I have an extremely supportive house mate
 
For those of you without the support, I am so sorry. It must be difficult to endure that. How frustrating... but in the long run, you can always use it as a push to do your best and go for your goals even harder, not just for yourself, but also to say "damn the man" :horns:😀

I have always had really supportive parents (as well as extended family and friends) when it comes to school, at least verbally. With the exception of my very first quarter of undergrad dorm fees 10 years ago, I have supported my entire college career. I have lived on my own since I was 17 (with the exception of 2 blocks of 6 month periods, one when I became extremely ill, and one after my divorce). I have paid for everything in my life, and to be honest, I wouldnt change it for anything. It has shaped me into the responsible adult that I am today. Now, the only thing I wish I COULD change is the fact that my parents didn't put money away for "vet school" hahaha...

The only unsupportive thing I have heard from my parents is from my dad, it apparently *just* clicked in his head how much tuition is for vet school and how much debt I'm going to be in. He asked me, "are you sure this is worth it?" :laugh: I laughed... and I said that I came to the reality of being in incredible debt 12 years ago when I was in high school, and I'm okay with it, because I can't see myself doing anything else for the rest of my life. I am already burned out with my current career (8 years), and, for me, vet tech just wont pay my bills.

Hunterjumper12... I've been in your shoes when it comes to changing my mind... at least you were smart and didn't marry him like I did 😉 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My parents are supportive in the sense that I will be the first person in my family to attend college (let alone graduate High School), but doubting that I can make it through all that schooling to become a vet.

My grandma, on the other hand... All she wants me to do is become a lawyer. :/ And so she hates me for even THINKING about doing anything besides that (she stopped buying me gifts at Christmas & birthdays!)
 
I was more or less disowned when I was accepted to and made it clear that I would be attending vet school. My parents think I'm a failure for moving out and leaving them to live my own life. They help me if I truly need it as long as it doesn't involve vet school, and I think they're proud that I've accomplished what I have since they tell everyone they meet that their daughter will be a doctor soon, but I also think they would have preferred if I was one of those people who lived in their parents' basement playing video games till they inherited the house by default because the parents died. Morbid and strange, but true. They still ask me in all seriousness how long it'll be before I finally move back into my old room at their house so we can all be together again.

Family is special.

Gotta be honest... that's kinda creepy. I haven't met many parents that encourage that kind of thing. What about your siblings? Or are you an only child (don don donnnnnn 😉)?
 
You should have seen the relief on their faces when I told them I was going to go to vet school rather than grad school for poetry. It still hasn't worn off yet.

So, was the grad school thing plan B? Cause that's the most unique Plan B I've heard, I think.





Parents are supportive, but they're in the 'overly supportive' camp in that they don't really realize how hard it is (though I think my mom has an idea).

Regardless, they turned out to be right so, I'll let them off the hook this time.
 
So, was the grad school thing plan B? Cause that's the most unique Plan B I've heard, I think.
Actually, the MFA was my Plan A. I changed my mind at the last minute (jr. year).

I did tell my interviewers that it's what I'd do if I could never get into vet school. When they asked me what I'd do with the degree, I said "Write, teach, and regret it for the rest of my life."
 
My parents don't care what I do so long as I don't move back home with them... we're in agreement on that! My mom will support me in whatever I choose and encourages me to continue my education.
 
Gotta be honest... that's kinda creepy. I haven't met many parents that encourage that kind of thing. What about your siblings? Or are you an only child (don don donnnnnn 😉)?

I'm with you on this one. My only brother is 18 months older than me and still lives with them, and they have done everything in their power to keep him from being able to move out since I left, including but not limited to taking apart his car and leaving him with very few options to fix it... although he could if he was willing to sacrifice heavily.

The punch line? They never wanted kids and none of us have ever been close LOL. Funny how life works out.

My parents don't care what I do so long as I don't move back home with them...

Jealous!
 
My parents are actually pretty much the right kind of supportive. They do a healthy amount of encouraging me and saying they think I'll get in, with just the right dose of realism to understand that I may not. They know what a huge undertaking this is and because I recite them on a near-daily basis they're aware of the statistics and where I stand.

My friends on the other hand, don't really "get it." I have a few friends who are also on Pre-Vet tracks but most of them aren't and the ones who have known me for a very long time are insisting that I'll get in because I've wanted it since they've known me. It's no use telling them that just wanting it badly isn't enough; so I just smile and thank them for their confidence.

To those of you without a strong support system, I give you many kudos. Know that you CAN do it, despite what the nay-sayers may tell you.
 
I am considering not even mentioning to anyone (including my boyfriend) about pursuing vet school until after I hopefully get accepted one day. I feel like I am starting to appear capricious after changing my mind several times over the past few years regarding which career I want to follow, and since I generally anticipate the worst from my mom I'd rather not even mention it to her and just save myself the headache.
 
Families are awesome!

In general, my family is encouraging. If my mother had her way, I'd be sitting at home making mini-me's for the rest of my life. 😉

The most common thing I hear is, "Are you sure spending all that money is worth it?" which is even funnier since they are paying for me to apply to UPenn (where I would be OOS and it would be VERY expensive compared to other schools) Go figure.
 
To those of you who have mentioned that you have no support from your family and friends (especially the comment upon being disowned), I cannot tell you how sorry I am to hear that. 🙁 That really sucks, there is no other word for it. However, you have support here; and I'm sure that you have a friend, mentor, boss, or other person that is behind you on this. But I know that not having the support of your family can be heart breaking; so I will keep my fingers crossed that those families living in the 'dark' will see the 'light' soon and understand that this is what will make you happy. Good luck to you all.

As for me, I live in a sort of two-fold situation: My biological father really hasn't had anything to do with me for much of my life. However, he feels the need to rise occasionally and hunt me down to badger me about the fact that I still don't have the first name of 'Doctor'. Along with that he tells me that I should give up because it's apparent that I'm 'just not smart enough to ever amount to anything'. He seems to forget that I'm in my mid 30's and have been supporting myself for the last 10+ years. Uh-huh...

On the flip side, my mom, step-father, sister and brother-in-law are super supportive of this; and have been from the get go. I think they all find me somewhat of an exotic and that excites them about this. So they've all done whatever they can to help me - especially emotionally. Really, you should hear my 67 year old mom say that the process is totally 'absurd', but if I get in that she's going to force her old bones to live in order watch me graduate. Then there's my sister that tells my infant niece that her aunt is obviously a 'crazy person' but is also obviously 'strong and resilient' if she's doing this to herself again... I know I'm super fortunate to have them all!! 😍
 
To those of you who have mentioned that you have no support from your family and friends (especially the comment upon being disowned), I cannot tell you how sorry I am to hear that. 🙁 That really sucks, there is no other word for it. However, you have support here; and I'm sure that you have a friend, mentor, boss, or other person that is behind you on this. But I know that not having the support of your family can be heart breaking; so I will keep my fingers crossed that those families living in the 'dark' will see the 'light' soon and understand that this is what will make you happy. Good luck to you all.

Very well put, I totally agree. My mom has always been 110% supportive of me pursuing veterinary medicine. She knows how hard it is to get in (thanks to SDN) and was just as upset as I was when I didn't get in to UF. She helped edit my essays to fit into the space limit whenever I got frustrated and took time off from work to go with me on my interviews. She told me yesterday when I was stressing out about anatomy that she knows I can do it. It is just the two of us, so I know I couldn't do it without her support and her confidence in me made me feel a little better. She sometimes reads SDN too, so she has been rooting for all of you to get in and is sorry when it doesn't happen. Good luck to everyone applying this cycle and ditto LMMS that you do have support here. 😍
 
My parents are being completely unrealistic with the whole process. They have TOO much faith in me ("oh, don't worry, you'll get in somewhere"). I don't think they realize how much of a crapshoot this process is.
I'm right there with you NStarz. I'm extremely glad that my parents, friends, and family believe in me that much, but at the same time you need to have someone in your life who gives you a sense of realism so that you don't just become complacent. LOL! I keep telling my ma and dad to not be disappointed if I don't get in the first, second or even third time. Other than that little quibble I'm glad that I have such a supportive base and so many people telling me "I can"...It's a million times better than someone telling you "you can't"
 
I'm very lucky in that I have an incredibly supportive yet realistic mom. She encourages me without pressuring me too much, and is totally cool with me pushing my application back a year (which is good, because I would have had to do it anyways). She also understands that it may not be a one-shot deal for me, and that I may have to apply 2 or even 3 cycles before I get in.

My sister, who intends to go the MD route, is also quite supportive. She and my mom both understand that veterinary medicine is medicine, and that vets are real doctors. My dad may or may not support my career choice, but I'll probably never know because he's mentally ill. Whatever happens to come out of his mouth is unreliable at best. Even so, I think that he wants me to be happy and will be pleased with any field I choose that accomplishes this (let me believe this, please).
 
My family is completely unsupportive ... Which is why they haven't been told that i'm applying for murdoch next year. When I mentioned considering vet school earlier in the year they shot me down. They think i'm stupid to leave a well paying job after already having been to uni once. They dont understand why I want to go back again. Luckily I have an extremely supportive house mate

Same here 🙁 Only I've told my whole family because I'm so excited, and every one of them just kind of went 'oh'. My dad wants me to work at a desk the rest of my life. Yeah, no thanks. I feel like I'm wasting away. They think it is stupid to accrue that much debt. It makes it so, so hard.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad