How does AMCAS work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm taking summer classes right now, and I'm planning to start my application first thing in August. Is this a good idea? Would it put me at a disadvantage, since they look at applications in the order they were received? What if they accept too many people before they see my application?

Also, how exactly does the application process work? I haven't applied to any schools yet. I'm almost done filling out all my information for AMCAS, but I haven't really started applications yet. Do you have to request the application for each school? Does it take 4-6 weeks for the AMCAS info to go through, and then another 2 weeks to receive an application from the school?

Sorry I'm new to this and a bit confused.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm taking summer classes right now, and I'm planning to start my application first thing in August. Is this a good idea? Would it put me at a disadvantage, since they look at applications in the order they were received? What if they accept too many people before they see my application?

Also, how exactly does the application process work? I haven't applied to any schools yet. I'm almost done filling out all my information for AMCAS, but I haven't really started applications yet. Do you have to request the application for each school? Does it take 4-6 weeks for the AMCAS info to go through, and then another 2 weeks to receive an application from the school?

Sorry I'm new to this and a bit confused.

You fill out your AMCAS Primary application then wait for it to get verified. It will probably take about 3 weeks to have it verified (your grades you inputted are compared to the transcript you sent in to ensure you inputted everything correctly).

On your primary application you select all the medical schools you want your primary sent to. For most of the schools, once they receive your primary they will send you a secondary.

By the way, your 3.7 and 32 are good enough to get in somewhere but your late application will be a big problem since you are likely not to be complete until mid september. I don't care what anyone else says but that is late. Apply broadly and to OOS friendly schools.

Godspeed

Thanks for the reply.

So I'll still be at a disadvantage, even if I submit everything by the deadline?

And the secondary application is still through AMCAS, right? How long does it take to receive the secondary application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply.

So I'll still be at a disadvantage, even if I submit everything by the deadline?

And the secondary application is still through AMCAS, right? How long does it take to receive the secondary application?

Yes you must submit your AMCAS app asap to be competitive!! A big reason is the secondary apps. After your AMCAS app is verified you will receive secondary apps from each SCHOOL you applied to.. this can take a few days/weeks!! One school took 6 weeks to send me an app. Once you send in your secondary apps, each school takes time to "process" your secondary app..which took me 2 months for one school! So it is a very lengthy process. This is why it is best to complete your AMCAS as early as possible - June would have been ideal, but if you can complete it in the next few days you should be ok.

you must do your apps NOW.Also, when you get your secondaries take no longer than 2 weeks to send them back to each school So start on your essays NOW. You can find the essay questions on this site Good luck

Thanks for the reply.

It would be of IMMENSE benefit to you to submit your AMCAS and all relevant materials (LORs, Transcripts) immediately. After the AMCAS application and transcripts are received by AMCAS, they will "verify" your application by making sure you correctly/accurately inputted your information into your application. This process can take up to 4-6 weeks at this point in the cycle.

Thereafter, the medical schools to which you submitted your application will send you secondary applications (the time between primary application (AMCAS) receipt and secondary application sending can vary) and request you to pay the secondary application fee directly to the school. It can take you a few days to a week to completely the secondary, depending on how long it is and how fast you work. It's very important that you submit all of this in a TIMELY manner. Those who sent in their applications in June have already started to receive secondaries and interview invitations, because they submitted earlier than you.

Your delay is putting you at a somewhat significant disadvantage, since medical school admissions generally runs on a "rolling admissions" process, which is more or less "first come, first served". If you "submit by the deadline", you become "late", because there are so many applications that were received before yours.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.