How much of an increase in gpa should i expect from a post bach program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stacysmith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(current junior) Unfortunately most of my math science courses were during my first 1.5 years of college when I had a parathyroid tumor which affected my ability to study, exhausted all the time, felt bad, etc. Once i had the tumor removed, I felt great and I'm doing better in my courses. So I can pull up my overall gpa to a 3.4/3.5 or so by the end of senior year, however my math/science gpa will probably be in the 2.5 range by the time I'm done. -sigh-( i wish i never had this stupid health problem). My questions are
1. Does a post bach help both overall and math/science gpa?
2. How much could I expect to increase my math/science and overall gpa with a one year post bach program?
3. When do you apply to post bac programs? (end of junior?/beginning of senior?)
4. Do I still have a shot? I have a dream of becoming a doctor and don't want to give up, but it seems that those beginning years dug me into a huge hole.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Yes, a post-bac program will impact both your cGPA and sGPA as long as you take classes at the undergraduate level. Per AAMC guidelines, you are required to report any courses you have taken and any grades you receive. On your application, there will be a box where you can list your post graduation GPA which will also be factored into your cumulative GPA.

2. The amount that you can expect your sGPA to increase is relative to the number of credits you have already earned / the grades received, and the number of credits you will earn (and grades) in post bac. If you already have a lot of science/math courses then additional courses will have a smaller impact. However, if you only took one or two courses and decide to take 6 or 8 courses, then your GPA could change quite a bit.

3. Post-bac is a broad category of courses that one can take after receiving a diploma. You can either apply to a formal post-bac program or take classes a la carte at a local university (most universities allow those with diplomas to take courses without being officially in a program)

4. Yes.

(current junior) Unfortunately most of my math science courses were during my first 1.5 years of college when I had a parathyroid tumor which affected my ability to study, exhausted all the time, felt bad, etc. Once i had the tumor removed, I felt great and I'm doing better in my courses. So I can pull up my overall gpa to a 3.4/3.5 or so by the end of senior year, however my math/science gpa will probably be in the 2.5 range by the time I'm done. -sigh-( i wish i never had this stupid health problem). My questions are
1. Does a post bach help both overall and math/science gpa?
2. How much could I expect to increase my math/science and overall gpa with a one year post bach program?
3. When do you apply to post bac programs? (end of junior?/beginning of senior?)
4. Do I still have a shot? I have a dream of becoming a doctor and don't want to give up, but it seems that those beginning years dug me into a huge hole.