How should I come about become a Dentist and what is the lifestyle like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which job would be better?

• Dental Hygienist

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Dentist

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Physician Assistant

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

trigga's girl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently graduated from high school and I'm considering going to a community college to get my AS in dental hygiene. I want to start working as a dental hygienist to see if I like the dental work and because the pay is really nice for just an associates degree. If I enjoy working as a DH than I'll consider going to dental school after my bachelors to become a Dentist. I do have a few questions though:
Am I able to transfer to a 4 year university with an AS and not an AA?
How is working as a DH like?
Is biological sciences a good major for Dental school?
Do I take the DAT during my junior year of college?
Do you learn the same thing in dental school as med school?
Do any real life dentists have any advice for me and how I should come about being a dentist? How is the lifestyle?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You can major in anything as long as you complete the prerequitesits for dental school. If you don't play on taking gap years, then you should take DAT junior year or prior. Go job shadow, don't get a DH/DDS degree only to find out you don't like it

What job would be better? We don't know you. We don't know your interests. You will figure this out on your own, you're very young and have time to do so. Go shadow a few professionals and start there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've recently graduated from high school and I'm considering going to a community college to get my AS in dental hygiene. I want to start working as a dental hygienist to see if I like the dental work and because the pay is really nice for just an associates degree. If I enjoy working as a DH than I'll consider going to dental school after my bachelors to become a Dentist. I do have a few questions though:
Do any real life dentists have any advice for me and how I should come about being a dentist? How is the lifestyle?

Thank you in advance.
Am I able to transfer to a 4 year university with an AS and not an AA? This should be address to your CC and the University that you'll transfer to.
How is working as a DH like? Try shadowing first, go to your family dentist or local dentist and ask to be shadow. Or if you want to know what they do, watch prophy/cleaning on Youtube.

Do I take the DAT during my junior year of college? Yes, or take it as soon you finished all your prereq. This way, it'll be fresh in your mind and easier to recall the info.
Is biological sciences a good major for Dental school? Yes, it will fully prepare you for the science sections on the DAT (dental admission test) such as Bio, chem, and Math.
Do you learn the same thing in dental school as med school? No.
Do any real life dentists have any advice for me and how I should come about being a dentist? How is the lifestyle? not applicable.

Shadow a few.

You should major in whatever you enjoy as well as whatever will help you keep a high sGPA/cGPA.

There is no set time. Take it when you've completed the pre-reqs and feel prepared. Ideally, this should be a few months before you plan to apply (also allowing time for a retake if necessary).

If this was the case, they wouldn't be separate. There are plenty of SDN threads from students in both schools that convey personal experiences. Shadowing both physicians and dentists could also be useful.

You have plenty of time to explore this, so take advantage of it. Best of luck to you!

Thank you in advance.
Shadow all 3 for a good while and you will have an idea. They're all used to people shadowing so they know exactly what to talk about and stuff. I thought I wanted to do medicine and then I shadowed a few doctors and then worked as a medical assistant for a while and got my answer.. No one can really tell you.

What job would be better? We don't know you. We don't know your interests. You will figure this out on your own, you're very young and have time to do so. Go shadow a few professionals and start there.

That's right. But don't expect a lucrative lifestyle at least for the next 10 or 20 years because of the huge loan incurred.

Reactions: 1 user