How to choose schools to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student1222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently making my list of schools to apply to, but I am not sure how to make one.

I know that I can make my list by looking at the 10th-90th percentile GPA, MCAT and medican GPA and MCAT.

It seems like all of the people and health advisers tell applicants to find out about the student life in that school and how the school works. How would you find this out?

Also, is there a way to find out which area the school is famous for? Like what specialty is strongest in their school?

Members don't see this ad.

You can look through MSAR for summaries. I looked briefly at each school via MSAR. Consider where you would actually live too

Reactions: 1 user
You can look through MSAR for summaries. I looked briefly at each school via MSAR. Consider where you would actually live too

I know you can find out about GPA/MCAT on MSAR, but how do you find the student life/atmosphere and the what the schools is famous for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you can find out about GPA/MCAT on MSAR, but how do you find the student life/atmosphere and the what the schools is famous for?

You could also post questions on old school-specific threads and see if current students are willing to chime in about life at the school and the general atmosphere.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you are incredibly adamant about leaving your state, I hear your state schools are usually where your highest chance at acceptances are, so applying in state is usually a must. From there, I would add schools that have median scores around yours, and some which are less than yours (safety's) and some that are slightly higher than yours (reaches). From there just strike out the schools that are located in areas you cannot see your self living in. And then you can knock off schools if you have gone through extensive research about their curriculum and/or thought it isn't a right fit for you. If you go through application threads on SDN for schools your interested in, occasionally there are Med Students who go to that school that provide information about their school. During interview days you can really get a feel for a school.

It's pretty impossible to get an idea of the school culture/how people interact until you see it or if you read some stuff in the school-specific forum. That's part of the reason for interview day and second look. You can get an idea of curriculum, extracurriculars, mentorship, etc. from the websites.

Reactions: 1 users
Pay very careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages in MSAR!

I know that you can check how many people got interviewed and matriculated from Accepted information page. How would you know that school is in-state bias? Do I just get the percentage of people who applied to people who got the interview or matriculated?

I know that you can check how many people got interviewed and matriculated from Accepted information page. How would you know that school is in-state bias? Do I just get the percentage of people who applied to people who got the interview or matriculated?

Yeah - Just plug OOS applications and interviews into a spreadsheet and calculate the %'s. But IN GENERAL, University of Other State is not a 'good odds' prospect for most students. Exceptions would be California, which has very little in-state bias, IF your numbers are exceptional or some other aspect of your profile is notable in some way that would fit a mission-driven selection. Other states may have pretty serious in-state preferences, but again - if your numbers are fabulous - like to raise their averages using your numbers. Or, if you have strong state ties -- some states may go for that, though many won't.

Also look up the thread for @WedgeDawg Applicant Rating System to assess your overall strength. There's lots of good "Where should I apply" advice in there. It's important for you to be able to assess your strengths and weaknesses as an applicant, and the WedgeDawg system can help you do that.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah - Just plug OOS applications and interviews into a spreadsheet and calculate the %'s. But IN GENERAL, University of Other State is not a 'good odds' prospect for most students. Exceptions would be California, which has very little in-state bias, IF your numbers are exceptional or some other aspect of your profile is notable in some way that would fit a mission-driven selection. Other states may have pretty serious in-state preferences, but again - if your numbers are fabulous - like to raise their averages using your numbers. Or, if you have strong state ties -- some states may go for that, though many won't.

Also look up the thread for @WedgeDawg Applicant Rating System to assess your overall strength. There's lots of good "Where should I apply" advice in there. It's important for you to be able to assess your strengths and weaknesses as an applicant, and the WedgeDawg system can help you do that.

Thanks!! This is very helpful!