How to get over testing anxiety?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips on how to get over testing anxiety? I keep getting stupid questions wrong, and they're easy questions. It's getting really frustrating. How can I get over the anxiety that I have? I'm sick of making stupid mistakes.

Members don't see this ad.

During your first time looking through test, marks the ones you are unsure about, and differently marks the one you completely guess on, leaves the ones you're sure about blank. Once you finish looking through all the answers the first time, look at the test once more. Look at the ones you're sure about first, as this will be the quickest part, then the ones you're unsure about, then leave the ones you completely guess on for last, as there's better usage of your time checking the ones you have a shot at.

Any tips on how to get over testing anxiety? I keep getting stupid questions wrong, and they're easy questions. It's getting really frustrating. How can I get over the anxiety that I have? I'm sick of making stupid mistakes.
Go visit your school's counseling center STAT!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same thing OP. At the end of the day, your first choice is usually right and if you don't know anything that the question asks, literally choose a middle number that's not too high.

Some people treat the MCAT like beast that must be tamed. I find that it helps if you give tests connotations as such or even like like food.

Some people on reddit were referring to their mcat date as: "I'm going to eat 9/9". Was hilarious.

Nah I'm kidding haha. But honestly, being well prepared and having confidence in myself and my answers helped me tremendously.

I have the same thing OP. At the end of the day, your first choice is usually right and if you don't know anything that the question asks, literally choose a middle number that's not too high.

Some people treat the MCAT like beast that must be tamed. I find that it helps if you give tests connotations as such or even like like food.

Some people on reddit were referring to their mcat date as: "I'm going to eat 9/9". Was hilarious.

It's so ridiculous. I feel so frustrated with this. I literally miss the easy questions. I just don't understand how some people don't stress about it.

You've said that you have test anxiety and that you are stressing about it, and seem to think that this is at least part of what's causing you to make silly mistakes. Goro is right: go to the counseling center. They will teach you tools and strategies to minimize your anxiety on test day. It sounds dumb, but they are evidence based and effective for many people.

If you want to be a doctor, over the next decade or so you will be taking too many high stakes exams to count. Build the skills you need to do well now, rather than waiting until test anxiety negatively affects your academics/career.
In addition, SDNers should not view seeking help as a loss of face or a sign of weakness.

Reactions: 3 users
Fix it now. Test anxiety only magnifies once you're in med school.

Heck, I didn't even HAVE test anxiety in undergrad and it's crippling me now.

Fix it now. Test anxiety only magnifies once you're in med school.

Heck, I didn't even HAVE test anxiety in undergrad and it's crippling me now.

HOW DID YOU NOT HAVE ANXIETY WHEN YOU TOOK ORGO AND THE MCAT

Propranolol or Sertraline. Better living through science!

Reactions: 1 user
HOW DID YOU NOT HAVE ANXIETY WHEN YOU TOOK ORGO AND THE MCAT

Because i felt prepared when I took the MCAT? You know how they say don't take it until you're ready? That's exactly what I did. Some in test meditation helped too. Kept me on track and focused.

But i guess that's a lie. Organic was the first time I ever experienced test anxiety. Ever. Only after my first exam, which Ifailed.

Reactions: 1 user