This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheezy89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your grades may be low but it is not impossible. I did it and so can you. Of course your chances are low, of course it is hard but I had the lowest stats you could possibly imagine and now I am a first year PT student. This thread is to inspire applicants to chase their dream of becoming Physical Therapist no matter what!
Here's how I did it:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Very motivating! Congrats on getting into your #1 school! Best of luck to you during the remainder of PT school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Very motivating! Congrats on getting into your #1 school! Best of luck to you during the remainder of PT school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Thanks for watching

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh nice! That's one of the schools I'm applying to right now. Can I ask you what your final stats were? I was definitely in a situation similar to yours.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oh nice! That's one of the schools I'm applying to right now. Can I ask you what your final stats were? I was definitely in a situation similar to yours.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
After 2 years of retaking pre-reqs, my cumulative GPA got to a 2.8, my pre-req GPA I believed was 3.3, my GRE scores are as you saw in the video because I don't do well with standardized test. I also racked up about 400 hrs of clinical observation (outpatient clinic, inpatient in rehabilitation hospitals, and pediatric in a school setting)

Wow that was so inspiring!! Congratulations! You're very driven and you deserve that admission!

Awesome video! Extremely inspiring for sure! Really is helping me get through some of these supplemental applications!

Very inspiring! Thanks so much for sharing your experience/tips about the process! You for sure earned that acceptance!

Awesome video! Extremely inspiring for sure! Really is helping me get through some of these supplemental applications!
Keep fighting! It's a really long process but the result is worth all the effort

Very inspiring! Thanks so much for sharing your experience/tips about the process! You for sure earned that acceptance!
Just trying to help out those in the same position as I was. Thanks for viewing this thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think you could tell me what you think my chances are? I'm feeling pretty discouraged about this application cycle due to my overall/pre-req GPA. I'm not too worried about the GRE scores though since I plan on retaking in November and my scores are attributed to me being sick on test day. I plan on completing 200 hours at an inpatient facility (90 currently done) and 40 at an outpatient clinic.

PTCAS Overall GPA: 3.10
Pre-Req GPA: 3.43-3.51 depending on school
GRE: 151 V, 141 Q, 4.5 AW

Do you think you could tell me what you think my chances are? I'm feeling pretty discouraged about this application cycle due to my overall/pre-req GPA. I'm not too worried about the GRE scores though since I plan on retaking in November and my scores are attributed to me being sick on test day. I plan on completing 200 hours at an inpatient facility (90 currently done) and 40 at an outpatient clinic.

PTCAS Overall GPA: 3.10
Pre-Req GPA: 3.43-3.51 depending on school
GRE: 151 V, 141 Q, 4.5 AW

Thanks for reaching out! My pre-Req GPA was about 3.3 and as you saw my overall GPA was a 2.6 at first. After retaking classes it only got to a 2.7. So the stats shows that you have met the credentials to be considered for an interview (your stats are way better than mine were). However we both know that the competition is super high and meeting the requirement stats isn't enough anymore. The rest of your application has to show your drive, passion etc for Physical Therapy. Retaking classes and tests to improve your grades help but if they only improve a little, there is only so much you can do. So what else can you improve? People overlook this but recommendation is huge. Who's writing yours? Make sure it is someone who knows you well and can speak to how driven you are to become a PT. Good job getting those inpatient hours; If people only knew how hard it is to get them. If you can get more go for it. I had a total of about 400 hours (pediatric, inpatient, outpatient).
Also are you calling the schools or emailing the faculty that participate in DPT program info session? If not you should give that a shot. Ask them if there is anything else you can do to improve your application because you'd really like their program?
People hate when I say this but it's a reality: with the increase competition you might not get accepted the first year you apply and it's OK. I had to apply twice. The good news is applying a second time makes you a better applicant by default, especially if you re-apply to the same programs. It shows you are relentless and you stop at nothing to follow your dream. You also have plenty of time to retake more classes and get more clinical observation. Hope that helped and please keep in touch! I'd love to hear how things turn out.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,
Although my stats are just a little higher than yours:
Overall: 3.22
PTCAS Pre-Req: (2.9-3.2 depends on the school, I have retaken two classes)
GRE: V:159 Q:155 W:5

I can't help but feel like I need to start bracing myself for rejections. I have applied to 9 schools so far that are in the +/-.2 GPA average of my stats. I have one more semester left before I graduate, so I am trying to come up with a solid backup plan, in the chance that I do not get in this round. I have three classes left (C+ in Chem 2 and C+ in Physics 1/2) that I need to retake. I was planning on retaking one of them this upcoming semester (I can always drop it in the chance I get accepted), then one/two in the summer. I was curious to hear about the time you did in between applying the second time. Did you apply that summer cycle afterwards, or apply a full year later. I know applying a full year later is something that people do, it would just stink to have to push back starting PT school till 2018 (I am already a 5th year).

Thank you so much, and I applied to MGH also!

Hello,
Although my stats are just a little higher than yours:
Overall: 3.22
PTCAS Pre-Req: (2.9-3.2 depends on the school, I have retaken two classes)
GRE: V:159 Q:155 W:5

I can't help but feel like I need to start bracing myself for rejections. I have applied to 9 schools so far that are in the +/-.2 GPA average of my stats. I have one more semester left before I graduate, so I am trying to come up with a solid backup plan, in the chance that I do not get in this round. I have three classes left (C+ in Chem 2 and C+ in Physics 1/2) that I need to retake. I was planning on retaking one of them this upcoming semester (I can always drop it in the chance I get accepted), then one/two in the summer. I was curious to hear about the time you did in between applying the second time. Did you apply that summer cycle afterwards, or apply a full year later. I know applying a full year later is something that people do, it would just stink to have to push back starting PT school till 2018 (I am already a 5th year).

Thank you so much, and I applied to MGH also!
I was a super senior as well when I graduated at 23. I spent the next year working on my application and working (I had a TA job at a blind school which was perfect for transitioning my career into PT. Worked there for 3 years after I graduated). I took my chances in the 2014-2015 cycle and I got rejected by every schools. Two months later, I called the faculty of programs that were too far away to ask how I could improve my application. Then I made a visit to schools I could drive to and did the same. Once I got the feedback I wanted, I went right back into retaking classes, getting a PT-Aide internship and retaking the GRE for the 3rd time.
You see what I am getting at here: You are still young and even if you don't get accepted the first year, that is still fine. Do all that you can do for now and if you don't have any luck during this application cycle, then you already have a blueprint on how you can improve.
I don't know about your post-college plans but even taking a year to work full-time and experiencing the real world is valuable.
I had the same thought as you after I graduated. I dreaded the idea of PT school being pushed back. Those three years I spent working hard to get accepted made me who I am today and I wouldn't change that for the world. So I hope you can see the positive side of this situation no matter which way it turns out. AND I do understand your feeling. Bro, every email would make my heart dropped after I submitted my application!

I was a super senior as well when I graduated at 23. I spent the next year working on my application and working (I had a TA job at a blind school which was perfect for transitioning my career into PT. Worked there for 3 years after I graduated). I took my chances in the 2014-2015 cycle and I got rejected by every schools. Two months later, I called the faculty of programs that were too far away to ask how I could improve my application. Then I made a visit to schools I could drive to and did the same. Once I got the feedback I wanted, I went right back into retaking classes, getting a PT-Aide internship and retaking the GRE for the 3rd time.
You see what I am getting at here: You are still young and even if you don't get accepted the first year, that is still fine. Do all that you can do for now and if you don't have any luck during this application cycle, then you already have a blueprint on how you can improve.
I don't know about your post-college plans but even taking a year to work full-time and experiencing the real world is valuable.
I had the same thought as you after I graduated. I dreaded the idea of PT school being pushed back. Those three years I spent working hard to get accepted made me who I am today and I wouldn't change that for the world. So I hope you can see the positive side of this situation no matter which way it turns out. AND I do understand your feeling. Bro, every email would make my heart dropped after I submitted my application!
my Zoe brotha sak pase!

Youre giving me so much hope with your whole journey. I graduated a long time ago with a piss poor gpa and i literally re wrote my whole transcript. I know your story is not that common but all I needed to hear was one person with stats similar to mine to make it. I made poor mistakes with my undergrad and did not take it seriously. I should be applying with the next cycle and hopefully I get in somewhere (not this one but 2017)

Reactions: 1 users
my Zoe brotha sak pase!

Youre giving me so much hope with your whole journey. I graduated a long time ago with a piss poor gpa and i literally re wrote my whole transcript. I know your story is not that common but all I needed to hear was one person with stats similar to mine to make it. I made poor mistakes with my undergrad and did not take it seriously. I should be applying with the next cycle and hopefully I get in somewhere (not this one but 2017)
Poze poze boss, sak tombe! Actually my story is common enough. This year I met a few people like me who did not do so well in Undergrad but worked their way into PT school. I think people are embarrassed to talk about it. One of my classmates had to apply three times before he got in, then he got dismissed from the program; reapplied the next year and got into my school. So there's always someone that has been through worst. Don't hesitate to contact me next year if you need help.

Thanks for sharing your story. Really inspired me. It's neat to see people with similar situations, because I honestly feel like I'm just the lone fish in the pond of my Pre-PT graduating class that won't be able to get into PT school immediately.

I'm a similar case as well, Pre-PT major about to graduate right now with around a 2.7 GPA and a 2.9 Pre-req GPA. I was always interested in the field and learning in the classes, but I wasn't 100% passionate in classes. It wasn't until I started my volunteer/observation hours that I really enjoyed what the PT's were doing and get to do. Unfortunately I still have a long road ahead of me. I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to go this route as I'm a super senior (25 years old) and retaking classes (especially the Chem, Bio and Physics which I REALLY DISLIKED) doesn't seem like something I'd want to do.

Has anyone ever considered becoming a PTA?

From what it seems like they still get paid pretty well and do nearly the same jobs as the PTs minus the paperwork, and just more hands on with the patients.
I thought it might be a good alternative as PTA school isn't nearly as stressful (I can still work part-time), the loan isn't going to be ridiculous and at the same time, these courses would be upping my GPA. Also the possibility of PTA-->DPT bridge programs may be expanding???

Thanks for sharing your story. Really inspired me. It's neat to see people with similar situations, because I honestly feel like I'm just the lone fish in the pond of my Pre-PT graduating class that won't be able to get into PT school immediately.

I'm a similar case as well, Pre-PT major about to graduate right now with around a 2.7 GPA and a 2.9 Pre-req GPA. I was always interested in the field and learning in the classes, but I wasn't 100% passionate in classes. It wasn't until I started my volunteer/observation hours that I really enjoyed what the PT's were doing and get to do. Unfortunately I still have a long road ahead of me. I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to go this route as I'm a super senior (25 years old) and retaking classes (especially the Chem, Bio and Physics which I REALLY DISLIKED) doesn't seem like something I'd want to do.

From what it seems like they still get paid pretty well and do nearly the same jobs as the PTs minus the paperwork, and just more hands on with the patients.
I thought it might be a good alternative as PTA school isn't nearly as stressful (I can still work part-time), the loan isn't going to be ridiculous and at the same time, these courses would be upping my GPA. Also the possibility of PTA-->DPT bridge programs may be expanding???

The major difference between PT and PTA isn't paperwork. It's clinical decision making. Nothing wrong with the PTA field but I wouldn't count on it being a bridge to DPT. Do it because you want to be a PTA

Hey man, Thanks for reaching out! So If I understand correctly, you are having trouble making a decision between PT and PTA career. The question I have for you is how do you want your future to be 5-6 years from now. If you have very strong desire to become a PT, believe me you will do the work. I know you are 25 and you're probably feeling you are losing time; I had the same feeling when I graduated. Now in my DPT program, I know people in their mid 30's switching career and maybe even finding their career.
Going the PTA route isn't a bad idea either. PTAs have decent salaries and they don't come out of school with a mortgage-like debt like PTs. However you still got to do the same amount of work to get the license. Keep in mind that Graduate school isn't easy no matter which route you take.

Hey man, Thanks for reaching out! So If I understand correctly, you are having trouble making a decision between PT and PTA career. The question I have for you is how do you want your future to be 5-6 years from now. If you have very strong desire to become a PT, believe me you will do the work. I know you are 25 and you're probably feeling you are losing time; I had the same feeling when I graduated. Now in my DPT program, I know people in their mid 30's switching career and maybe even finding their career.
Going the PTA route isn't a bad idea either. PTAs have decent salaries and they don't come out of school with a mortgage-like debt like PTs. However you still got to do the same amount of work to get the license. Keep in mind that Graduate school isn't easy no matter which route you take.

Being 25, I feel somewhat like I am losing time..not to mention just the pressure from my family, I have lots of overachievers that I'm being compared to..so yeah. I thought the idea of taking a year off from school, working full-time again with an actual bachelor's (in hope I get a decent job) might be the way to go....or apply to PTA school, not be in major debt and still be able to work. I know counting on PTA to DPT programs isn't something I should rely on, but I can definitely see it as a road to DPT. I really only have grad school pre-reqs (Upper Chem, Physics) left, and even with high grades in those, my GPA is still gonna be sub-par. PTA school would give me the chance to raise my GPA still, and most definitely if I work as a PTA and then decide to go the DPT route I'd have a chance with experience and better grades.

As far as going DPT, it would definitely be a mission for me. To be honest, I'm looking at graduate school to be another way to do it right. My entire college experience has been lackluster, and it's coming to an end. Graduate school for me..is like, another way to prove myself and really give it my all and taking the experience.

Being 25, I feel somewhat like I am losing time..not to mention just the pressure from my family, I have lots of overachievers that I'm being compared to..so yeah. I thought the idea of taking a year off from school, working full-time again with an actual bachelor's (in hope I get a decent job) might be the way to go....or apply to PTA school, not be in major debt and still be able to work. I know counting on PTA to DPT programs isn't something I should rely on, but I can definitely see it as a road to DPT. I really only have grad school pre-reqs (Upper Chem, Physics) left, and even with high grades in those, my GPA is still gonna be sub-par. PTA school would give me the chance to raise my GPA still, and most definitely if I work as a PTA and then decide to go the DPT route I'd have a chance with experience and better grades.

As far as going DPT, it would definitely be a mission for me. To be honest, I'm looking at graduate school to be another way to do it right. My entire college experience has been lackluster, and it's coming to an end. Graduate school for me..is like, another way to prove myself and really give it my all and taking the experience.
I have fallen into the same trap of looking at my classmate having fun in med school while I was still trying to figure out what I want out of life. It's energy not well spent. You just have to worry about yourself at the end of the day. It seems like your mind is already made up about PTA. If that's what you are leaning towards, then go for it. However i would still apply to a DPT program at the same time, just in case luck falls into your lap.

I'll have to speak to some of the PT's at work and my advisor to get a better outlook. I think they should be able to offer some good advice, along with some of my fellow classmates, the people here and yourself. Who knows, maybe I'll run into the director of some PT program and sweet talk them to consider me?
I appreciate your 2 cents on my situation! Good luck on your journey, I look forward to seeing updates!

my Zoe brotha sak pase!

epicpt89, I have similiar stats to Cheezy89. I did not get in during the first round, but I am reapplying now! Don't worry there's a few us out here doing what we can to bring those "averages" down :)
Best of luck with your application. Never give up!

Do you think I have a chance at PT schools?

Cum GPA - 3.42
Pre-req - 3.41
I was mostly an A-B student with 2 C+.

I'm retaking the GRE, but my first try (did not study) was - 154 verbal, 153 quantitative, and 4.0 writing.

This sounds really bad, but I'm just starting to work on my hours, but I can manage the time since I will have graduated in early Aug and have every week after to accumulate hours.

I was a captain of two dance teams and have choreographed for several other dance teams, I was a semi-formal event director for a cultural organization, and the external vice president for a sorority interest group. I also volunteered to help middle school children at an after school physical activity camp. Lastly, I am currently interning at a cardiovascular physiology laboratory all summer.

My preparation is pretty bad because not too long ago, I wanted to go to med school.

Here are the schools I REALLY want to get into: Chapman U, Mount St. Mary's, CSU Northridge, West Coast U, and USC. I will also be applying to other schools as safety nets.

@Cheezy89 I am applying to PT school this cycle and have around a 3.3 gpa with a 299 combined GRE score/ 4.5 AW score. I was wondering, when you contacted the schools is it most important to contact the director of admissions or also other faculty members. Also what did you say when contacting them? Is the best thing to say how to improve my application, what the chances are i will get in, or just simply showing interest in the program? Your help is greatly appreciated!

@Cheezy89 I am applying to PT school this cycle and have around a 3.3 gpa with a 299 combined GRE score/ 4.5 AW score. I was wondering, when you contacted the schools is it most important to contact the director of admissions or also other faculty members. Also what did you say when contacting them? Is the best thing to say how to improve my application, what the chances are i will get in, or just simply showing interest in the program? Your help is greatly appreciated!
Sent you a PM. I'm so so sorry about the timing of this response

Sent you a PM. I'm so so sorry about the timing of this response

I'm curious about your input as well, as I'm beginning to contact several schools and feel as though I'm being a nuisance.

I'm curious about your input as well, as I'm beginning to contact several schools and feel as though I'm being a nuisance.
Why would you feel that way? You are looking for answers. Those professors are extremely busy, if you don't knock more than once, you won't hear back from them. I originally suggested to go to an info session at the program. If the desired program in in-state, I would consider going. Also who are you contacting from admission?

Hey @Cheezy89 what do you think of my chances? I have pretty much taken all my prereqs over and have mostly A's with a few B's.

cGPA:2.96
pGPA:3.55
GRE: 145V, 146Q 3.5 AW (Taken Twice, about the same both times)

I know that I can study and take the GRE again for the 3rd time and I do plan to (using the tips from your video). I have watched all of your videos, you really give me hope for a future in PT. I'm am really concerned that my GPA and GRE scores will hold me back and its a little discouraging at times. :/

Get your GRE UP, my grades are very similar you yours and I got into a program with numerous interviews just this cycle. Devote an entire 1-2 months studying, it seems intense, but ask yourself are you “working to go to school? Or going to school to work?”

Good luck

Hey @Cheezy89 what do you think of my chances? I have pretty much taken all my prereqs over and have mostly A's with a few B's.

cGPA:2.96
pGPA:3.55
GRE: 145V, 146Q 3.5 AW (Taken Twice, about the same both times)

I know that I can study and take the GRE again for the 3rd time and I do plan to (using the tips from your video). I have watched all of your videos, you really give me hope for a future in PT. I'm am really concerned that my GPA and GRE scores will hold me back and its a little discouraging at times. :/