USMLE How to interpret CS score report?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpinebrook

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! So there's really no issue because I passed CS, and clearly did fine in the ICE and SEP sections, but I was wondering exactly how to interpret the CIS score. How close was I to actually failing that part? Just curious. Thanks!
upload_2015-8-13_9-32-37.png

Members don't see this ad.

Borderline represents high fail and low pass junction. what have you done( positives and negatives/mistakes) in your exam regarding CS...congrats for high ICE and SEP...pls share your experience.....

OP, your ice had 5 stars in the borderline region. Let's say, you had 5 stars in borderline region and rest of the stars were to be on the left, would that be ICE fail?
If had 6 stars in borderline (covering the entire zone) and rest of the stars on the left, would that be pass? I was told as long as your one star is touching the pass end of the
Borderline, it's a pass. Anyone care to elaborate? Just curious. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say you were 1 mark away from a fail. Good job on the pass!

I think he is NOT 1 mark (x) away from fail but he is atleast 6 marks (6x) in high pass region...Borderline means high fail and low pass region...but we cannot compare score cards of 2 students

Example: To your all surprise i saw one PASS score card where his/her Score card shows all marks just only in BORDERLINE ( Not even 1 mark above borderline and 1 mark below borderline) and he/she PASSED..

Note: Here mark means cross mark (x) shown in score card

I think he is NOT 1 mark (x) away from fail but he is atleast 6 marks (6x) in high pass region...Borderline means high fail and low pass region...but we cannot compare score cards of 2 students

Example: To your all surprise i saw one PASS score card where his/her Score card shows all marks just only in BORDERLINE ( Not even 1 mark above borderline and 1 mark below borderline) and he/she PASSED..

Note: Here mark means cross mark (x) shown in score card
Well you have the right to speculate as well.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not a speculation, it takes a a decent amount of left-sided marks to fail.

I know someone who had five stars over the borderline and failed (which is what the above score card shows and is a pass?). That's not bad at all if you ask me. I'm not here to argue, but there isn't a single person who knows what the grading scheme is on any given test day / at any given time. The USMLE quite clearly states that the scales are for personal use only and cannot be used to compare test-takers.

I know someone who had five stars over the borderline and failed (which is what the above score card shows and is a pass?). That's not bad at all if you ask me. I'm not here to argue, but there isn't a single person who knows what the grading scheme is on any given test day / at any given time. The USMLE quite clearly states that the scales are for personal use only and cannot be used to compare test-takers.

There's no contradiction between what you said and the statement I made. What was the width of the person's band? I'm guessing it was generously wide - enough to result in a fail. The scales are for personal use but they're generated based on the same algorithm. I'd like to think that there's some correlation between width/location and pass/fail - which is frankly supported by the reports I get to see. (perhaps it's time to create a survey?)

Last edited:
How to interpret? Pass/Fail. If you passed, then you passed. Set it down and look forward to the next hurdle. The details of your score on this exam just don't matter enough to warrant further scrutiny.

Yes Phloston, you are correct...am your big fan.....you are my inspiration......Sometimes Mark (x) in borderline can be fail bcz as i said Borderline means where HIGH Fail and LOW pass people fall....so failure chances are more if we fall in ONLY borderline and most likely failed if we fall in Borderline along with some mark(x) in Left side......sorry i just shared what i know....but as you said only borderline means he must be lucky to pass

From what I've seen you have to have more than 50% of the stars between borderline and lower performance in order to fail. So this guy passed comfortably.